Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 11-27-2020, 06:50 AM   #1
ramses
Human being with feelings

Default Lua wizardry - mirror tracks visible in MCP?

Hi to all the great Wizards!

Would it be possible to create a small program of some kind, Lua perhaps (?), that would display track names, numbers & colors of all the tracks currently visible in the Mixer Control Panel?

I'm using the Console 1 & Console 1 Fader from Softube, and the proprietary software can do this, display a floating "strip" containing track Number, Name (not color). It's needed since the hardware does not have scribble strips. But this display is locked to the Softube software, so I can't use it with the wonderful CSI for example.

What I would LIKE to have is;

Track number
Track name
Mute / Solo state
Selection state
Track color
Folder state (perhaps...)
Custom size management for window/track width, font sizes, etc.
Metering would be awesome, but I would be just as happy without it.

Just having track number and -name would be absolutely fantastic!

Perhaps something like this does already exist in some form or fashion?

Many thanks.

This is the Softube On Screen Display thingy:

Last edited by ramses; 11-27-2020 at 07:05 AM.
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 10:42 AM   #2
xpander

I don't know CSI, so the answer might be obvious one, but why wouldn't the MCP itself work for this? With a different layout perhaps?

If it needs to be a separate track list, does it have to present the tracks horizontally like MCP does? Most of the data you seem to want visible and even more is already presented in Track Manager, but the way it is displayed in there doesn't work for you?
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 03:04 PM   #3
ramses

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
I don't know CSI, so the answer might be obvious one, but why wouldn't the MCP itself work for this? With a different layout perhaps?

If it needs to be a separate track list, does it have to present the tracks horizontally like MCP does? Most of the data you seem to want visible and even more is already presented in Track Manager, but the way it is displayed in there doesn't work for you?
Yes, I've actually thought about doing it that way. It would be more elegant having it available separately, but that's it I guess when I think about it. I would like to have it laid out horisontally, to follow the faders, I think it's more intuitive.

I'll guess I'll go ahead and start crafting a small MCP theme for this. One caveat is that I really like the v6 theme, but I guess there are ways to quickly toggle between themes, so that's not really a problem either.

Thanks for letting me see the obvious solution, xpander!

I'll post the theme here when I'm done, in case anyone else would like something similar.
Old 08-19-2021, 08:16 AM   #4
ramses

Hm. I'm running into difficulties. I'd like to keep all other aspects of the standard 6.x theme, and only modify the MCP. This seems pretty involved, just looking at the RTconfig file. Is there an easy way to bypass the logic and stuff for the MCP in the standard config, and allow me to just create a simple MCP from scratch?
Old 08-19-2021, 01:09 PM   #5
nofish

Maybe another approach:
BC Manager (free) contains a Mackie Control display emulation (it's essentially also a floating strip displaying 8 tracks) which can be used together with CSI (in 'Mackie mode').
And if I'm not mistaken (been a while since I tried it out), what's getting displayed on the strip can even be customised to some extend (no meters display though I think) from within CSI.

Can look like this:

Last edited by nofish; 08-19-2021 at 01:18 PM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 03:42 PM   #6
ramses

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Maybe another approach:
BC Manager (free) contains a Mackie Control display emulation (it's essentially also a floating strip displaying 8 tracks) which can be used together with CSI (in 'Mackie mode').
And if I'm not mistaken (been a while since I tried it out), what's getting displayed on the strip can even be customised to some extend (no meters display though I think) from within CSI.

Can look like this:
Sweet, thanks, I'll check it out!