Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Do you like Reaper's logo and splash-screen?
Yes 74 42.29%
No 101 57.71%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-09-2007, 12:35 PM   #481
sharkfin73
Human being with feelings

Great catch! I never noticed it but I thought that was a Flag before LOL!! (seriously) Flipped it stands out as a sickle much better. IMO.
sharkfin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:59 PM   #482
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Okay, I've tried to listen to whats been said, how about this?

[img]http://img156.**************/img156/9362/splash2pz2.jpg[/img]

a suitable mix of fancy yet non-corporate?

Pick your colours here:
[img]http://img204.**************/img204/5893/splashcolourspa7.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img92.**************/img92/2680/blackchoicegp1.jpg[/img]
White Tie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:10 PM   #483
Jed

VERY VERY nice WT - I like the darker colours myself

Cheers
Jed
Old 04-10-2007, 06:09 PM   #484
Newguy

While I really like your work, I think that the scythe is a little too "Disney-ish". Your other design had more of a "precision" overtone, which Justin has mentioned he would like to see portrayed in the logo.

This is not meant as a negative in any way, and is only my opinion. You do excellent work and are clearly very talented so please keep it up!
Newguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:17 PM   #485
Tallisman

I think that the scyth looks a lot like the letter 'F'. Call it cliche, but I think it'd be better if it looked more like the letter 'r'

t.

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:22 PM   #486
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatbybit View Post
If the "happy Reaper" will stay the welcome screen, i'd ask for changing the "REAPER" font at least. I just can't believe you, as a grapic artist say that looks good now.

do you?
No... You're new around here, aren't you? <g> My "line" is that I don't care what it looks like, but it's "zany cartoony" right now.

No, actually, "zany cartoony in an airbrush kiosk-at-the-mall" sense. <g>

There needs to be an icon;
Not like another audio-related company icon;
There needs to be a default font.

Certain fonts and imagery are associated with certain fields. One has to resist using iconography from a field one has a personal interest in.... while at the same time resisting the current trend in renovating "retro/vintage" designs.

It's not as easy as it may seem at first, I'm just being a curmudgeon. Of what I've seen on the board, professionally I respect Akoustic's color sense and White Tie's composition; but at the same time I don't think that means a rubber stamp for everything they do.

/ tired
Old 04-10-2007, 11:42 PM   #487
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Okay, I've tried to listen to whats been said, how about this?
I almost like the logo - if it could be made to not resemble an "F".

Another quibble might be the use of lighting effects; it looks glossy, but at the same time that look is going to end up being thought of as "mid-90's" at some point, I think.

My point about doing the impressionism thing is that most iconographic design today is limited to the graphic limitations of technology that is outdated.

For instance, in the Gutenbergian days of wooden torsion-operated presses, your choice of Corporate Design Style for advertising was limited to maybe BOLD letters and UPPER CASE, maybe 1 of 3 sizes.

Which is the "look" of ye olde newspapers back then.

Then you had linotype, which gave you more sizes, different kerning/spacing - which gave a bit more variety, yielding early 20th century newspaper PEARL HARBOR ATTACKED B u y U. S. S a v i n g s B o n d s look to ads...

BUT, magazines were going to offset printing, allowing logos to emerge...

But you didn't have great control over color alignment or gradation... so you got a lot of logos with "moderne" fonts and simple blocks of color: Ford's blue bow tie, STP's navy blue oval, Coca-Cola's red circle, Sunoco's blue star, etc...

WHICH continued until computerized layout happen.

Which is how we started getting gradations in logos in the 80's: Apple's color gradations, uhmm... lots of shading started happening in logos in the late 80's.

When it became ubiquitous in the early 90's, all logos started having more detail in them, finer gradations of color and design.
By the mid 90's we start seeing computer design itself influencing things: lens flare effects, drop shadows, etc..

(which is my quibble with the above White Tie icons)

We're presently seeing logos that are stuck at the late 90's stage. Repro technology in print has peaked; tv and the net are primary mediums of advertising now, allowing even greater possibilities.

So I'm thinking "juxtapose the height of color and craftsmanship in painting with a logo" - impressionism as a logo.

But that's just me, I'm crazy. BUT.... I predict 5 years from now most logos will be photorealistic and detailed. The "photorealistic" reaper is almost there, but it has that ray-traced look to it that dates it as "a few days before "now"", IMO. This is the future of visual advertising:

Just a picture, but we all know what it's advertising, right? My point though, is that it *is* a picture. Anything less involved will appear to be dated in the coming years I think.

Or maybe not, a guy named Gordo Liddy tells me it's all ball bearings these days.

Last edited by chip mcdonald; 04-10-2007 at 11:45 PM.
chip mcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:57 PM   #488
beatbybit

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post
No... You're new around here, aren't you? <g>

/ tired
yes, Chip,

i'm quite new here.
I didn't read all the posts in the R. forum, so maybe i missed something. i apologize.

(please tell me, what this "<g>" means?)

i just said my opinions and added my idea. the rest is up to the real decision makers.

i've tried to capture Reaper's welcome screen for the videos i (plan to) do, but without success. may i use WhiteTie's welcome-screen to the video tutorials i'm planning to post here?

without having the right fonts and source files, it looks like this now:

http://www.ujlenyomat.hu/beat-by-bit...elcome_001.wmv
or this:
http://www.ujlenyomat.hu/beat-by-bit...elcome_001.zip
(both are under 1MB)

do you like it, or i'm not allowed to do this?

(i can get rid of the "welcome-music", if you don't like it)

Last edited by beatbybit; 04-11-2007 at 12:07 AM.
beatbybit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:05 AM   #489
mr. moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post
Or maybe not, a guy named Gordo Liddy tells me it's all ball bearings these days.
Don't forget the quart of oil...

And the fetzer valve.

-mr moon

www.soundclick.com/mrmoon
mr. moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:10 AM   #490
sharkfin73

WT- the style of the sickle thing (or whatever it's called) not working for me. Like the darker bubble thing (put grimmy in the bubble LOL!!).

Also please note I DO respect you guys artistic skills I don't have any to speak of.

I'm giving you a noob just here, what if I was looking at stuff on a shelf, what would grab my eye, first impression of things.

(I think is a rather valuable POV but hey I'm biased LOL!!)

Keep at it all this is bound to morph into something great that everyone stands up and cheers for.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:31 AM   #491
sharkfin73

stupid idea the grave stone look?
[IMG]http://img257.**************/img257/5182/tombstonexp8.th.png[/IMG]
Old 04-11-2007, 07:55 AM   #492
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatbybit View Post
(please tell me, what this "<g>" means?)
It means "grin", as in, I haven't exactly been "pro-Grimmy"...

Quote:
the rest is up to the real decision makers.
I guess that makes Justin "The Decider". He does the decidering, as Dubya might say.

Quote:
do you like it, or i'm not allowed to do this?
Justin is The Decider, I'm just a quibbling peasant....
Old 04-12-2007, 09:43 AM   #493
beatbybit

..but personally YOU like/hate/don't care about how it looks like?
i mean my video-welcome for future HowTo-s?

OFF:

"decision-maker" - it is correct, right? The "decider" is a "bushist" word, isn't it?

ON

thanks for the infos.
beatbybit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:54 PM   #494
Justin
Administrator

what do we all think of the new 1.842 one?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:44 PM   #495
drew
Mobile

I'm really happy to see grimmy as a little shadowy figure that doesn't detract from the app name, or company, or the cool background graphic.. yet is still there as a logo with personality.. and looking a bit like a watermark.

This is exactly how he should be seen IMO - he was pretty full-on before and I wasn't comfortable having the image appear on startup. It just looked wrong and wouldn't inspire confidence from those who I show, but the new version actually has the right balance without being some totally corporate splash.
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:11 AM   #496
chip mcdonald

I like the direction it's going in, the "alt.recordingstudio" look...

Conceptually I'd want to see more guitars and drums..<g>

But that's cool, non-linear thinking - anti-slick. It's also good in that the sort of "impressionistic" assortment of imagery works to convey the right mysterious mood of "a bunch of gear in a studio". The rough-shod loose "non-corporate" look is the way to go.

I also like the notion that it is an actual realistic picture. Like I rambled about above, logos are progressing and the next stage is *literal* realism IMO. Although on that point, the whole idea that a splash screen is a "Certain portion of the screen with the name and then it fades out" is a sort of stereotype someone will banish at some point, I predict.

Grimmy seems really extraneous now, though.

BUT...

*Implying* Grimmy with some sort of gear collage might be an angle, if one must hold onto Grimmy.

/ the splash screen changes? I loaded it maybe 10 times and it always looked the same? Did I miss something?
Old 04-18-2007, 03:59 PM   #497
stelzbock

Default splash

The new splash screen:

Do you really think its much better? OK, its better than the first one and I like the idea but now it looks like a photo of my junk room.

Whether it should be blurred or it should be something you can identify but not that kind of confusing merged photos...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reaper_splash.JPG (23.6 KB, 761 views)

Stelzbock @ myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/stealthmusic
gear/sw:
Reaper, FLStudio, ProjectMix I/O, KRK RP5, Sp B1 Mic, some Intruments
PC: Athlon XP 2,4+, 1,5GB RAM, Matrox Dual Head
stelzbock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:12 PM   #498
Jae.Thomas

the new one, no offense, is really blurred and indistinct. not to mention that the colours dont really "go"...

looks a bit like grimmy and a music store got eaten by a huge monster and got vomitted out :lol:
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:42 PM   #499
Youn

Justin's got bitten by the Debris bug
Youn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:47 PM   #500
Youn

Anycare to see window's splash screen history, go here:
http://content.zdnet.com/2346-9595_22-61343-1.html

fwiw, I always liked splash screens from Autodesk and Adobe products... well some of the photoshop ones were kinda goofy, but always abstract enough and yet non-offensive
Youn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:59 PM   #501
scottdru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
what do we all think of the new 1.842 one?
I like it . . . for basically the same reasons Chip points out. It isn't the ultimate keeper or anything, but I like it.

(Hehe . . . as a side note . . . I'm not trying to suck up to Chip or anything, btw . . . I just find myself agreeing with him fairly often on certain things. )
scottdru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:29 AM   #502
kilroy

No offense... But the new splash is definitely NOT a keeper. Don't get me wrong... I like pretty much EVERYTHING Justin does... but he's definitely not a graphical designer! and that's a good thing... since that's not what Reaper is about. But still it's fun to have nice graphics. The new one does not look professional at all imho. I'm just hoping it won't appear in the SOS review ;-)

I'd like White Tie to come up with some more ideas... This guy is so talented!
kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:37 AM   #503
sharkfin73

I liked it in that the colors/design caught my eye but it was so fleeting that I could not make out what it was. Only that I remember seeing the graphic you had done before. It was sort of subliminal. In a good way.

It gave the feeling of of professional and it did grab my attention and make me take notice. I think the images of creativity going on registered with me.

So yes I liked it.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:43 AM   #504
Tallisman

Change is good.
I like it better - a step towards progress.
I think that White Ties is the best so far.

I much prefer the aesthetic of lowercase letter to capitals:

reaper vs. REAPER.

boogie!

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 08:27 AM   #505
Gerry G

Default Like Whit Tie's

Love White Tie's. Into being brutally honest nowdays.

The new splash reminds me of Star Wars where the robots end up inside some big collector Transformer thing.

Gotta agree with losing the F and the Disney look then made really big into a splash bubble could be beautifully done especially if it has an animatiion that breaks up into kinda confetti or rainbow colours.

Bitta retro psychadelia?
Gerry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 08:40 AM   #506
MikeLacey

It's a bit quick... I missed it the first time around and didn't really see it the second.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:55 AM   #507
chip mcdonald

It's a touch dark (a *touch*);
It needs more instruments featured;
Grimmy seems discongruent.

People are not going to initially like it, because it *is* different.

Different in this case is good, IMO.

I'd also proffer that people sort of, in general, associate "good" with "looks congruent with the best of what is seen as middle of the bell curve". Meaning, if the current trend in design aesthete is "swiss-euro moderne", what determines "good" isn't it's inherent value, but where it falls within the scale of "present good>poor".

Same goes for music these days: "good" for the most part has to do with how new music one is exposed to relates to what is also currently considered "good". For instance, the Beatles would not be considered "good" relative to the scale of current pseudo post-new wave/punk pop, but it's got nothing to do with it inherent value.

Also note that whenever a paradigm shifts, initially there is a reflex of resistance from the mainstream: there was a time when U2 was considered "oddball alternative", a time when Metallica was "a bunch of stringy haired weirdos that will never be on the radio", etc... To break into a new paradigm one has to be brave and steadfast.

I think the photographic logo IS the new paradigm, and I think the alt.rock theme, being Anti-depersonalized Corporate, is the way to go. It looks/feels "different", just because you're not accustomed to it.

Imagine 5 years from now, if there is a wave of open-source/privateer variations of what is now considered an exclusively corporate software market, and there being a a defacto standard of "rebellious photographic" logos: which program will have pioneered that look? At that point it will be commonplace.

Sounds crazy to some perhaps, but think about what I'm saying the next time you see someone buying a pre-faded pre-worn/flakey screen print fake-sports team/faux nostalgia logo t-shirt from Old Navy. Invoking a sense of "Relativistic Nostalgic Character" is the future of marketing.

/ thus concludes Chip's Long Winded Pontification for the Day
// .. but I'll bet I'm right.
/// $.10