Old 07-06-2008, 05:51 AM   #161
General Contact Unit
Human being with feelings

I'm stunned that you had to write almost a short story to answer my two questions.

<Before answering GCU makes sure the keyboard is set to 'stun'>
Always glad to stun.

Although, I read your "answers"

Don't you think the quotation marks are superfluous? Or are you implying that my answers do not meet your standards of answers? If so, please specify the sub-standard parts so I can meet your standards.

and I read them again, and again, and again... But I must admit: I just can't figure out what the hell you're talking about.

The problem may be on my part, but you must be more specific.

But then again — to a stupid mind like mine — you do kind of flaunt yourself with a groovy core level language, as if we were all participating in some scientific conference, discussing blueprints of THE space ship that will take humans beyond the walls of the solar system to explore distant planets. But that's completely another story.

I try to keep it as simple as possible, but not simpler.

Instead of giving me simple answers like "no, no one", or "yes" with the addition of one or two followers who (you think) actually agreed with "your" logic, you're partially avoiding the question and throwing it back at me...

1. If you read this thread you'll notice at least one who agrees.

You're the one talking about supposed "logical errors".

Logical errors are the only pertinent errors. What other errors could you want to be examined? Grammatical errors?

I have attempted to show it to be true, and now if you want to change my mind, you must show my errors in the premises and/or the argument, since only logic can decide whether my conclusion is true or false.

But what's even worse, you're asking people to point out "logical errors" in "your" logic... I mean, and you must forgive my apish stupidity, how the hell can there be logical errors in a logic?

If I say "follow my logic" and "do you see errors in it?" what other errors could they be than logical? Surely kogic itself has no errors in it, just like "mathematics" has no "mathematical errors in it". Only the application of logic can have errors in it.

You could say
Logical errors = errors concerning the application of logic

I think I pointed to the distinction between the application of logic and logic itself.

That's either a bug in your statement, or a deep to the core meaning that wipes my mind completely blank.

The latter may be the case, though, there are other more mundane possibilities, too. Is it still blank?

If it's not a bug, then "my" logic says that you think "your" logic is error-free (hence the question).

I never have been sure it's error-free which I expressed at length.
-Switchfoot

Last edited by General Contact Unit; 07-06-2008 at 07:39 AM.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:06 AM   #162
NAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAS View Post
So are you actually gonna post it or a picture of it or is this just gonna turn into another five page thread waiting for you to post this ultimate theme ?

NAS

GCU that was the first thing that was posted after your first post
Hahahahahahahah damn i'm good

I will update if thats OK

So are you actualy gonna post it or a picture of it or is this just gonna turn into a ten page thread with you acting all high and mighty and using words the non native english speakers have to look up just so you can get attention ?

NAS
Old 07-06-2008, 06:11 AM   #163
technogremlin

Well, this 'incredible saga' has already made it to it's fifth page without delivering anything tangible, as was predicted by several others.

EDIT: NAS beat me to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Contact Unit View Post
I try to keep it as simple as possible, but not simpler.
I've never before seen anyone needing SO MANY WORDS to 'keep it as simple as possible'
Old 07-06-2008, 06:14 AM   #164
technogremlin

Oh, and it still stands:

Pictures (not blurs) or it didn't happen!
Old 07-06-2008, 06:28 AM   #165
General Contact Unit

So are you actualy gonna post it or a picture of it

Try re-reading this thread. You have many opportunities to find answers to your questions.

or is this just gonna turn into a ten page thread with you acting all high and mighty and using words the non native english speakers have to look up

I have no particular page limit in mind.

"acting all high and mighty" returns under 1000 matches. Pleased to belong to such select group.

just so you can get attention ?

I have dealt with the 'attention seeking' issue before. The choice of words can mean many things. For me the choice of words has the goal of conveying information as succinctly and unambiguously as possible. You can suggest simplifications to all my sentences. Optimization is always welcome.
-Switchfoot

Last edited by General Contact Unit; 07-06-2008 at 06:32 AM.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:37 AM   #166
gofer
-blänk-

Just one question:

How much knowledge do you think you created today?

Frank
Old 07-06-2008, 06:47 AM   #167
General Contact Unit

I don't think I'm saying anything crushingly non-obvious, so I'd put a low but non-zero value on that.
-Switchfoot
Old 07-06-2008, 06:48 AM   #168
Valle

Quote:
are you implying that my answers do not meet your standards of answers? If so, please specify the sub-standard parts so I can meet your standards.
That's correct! I have certain specifications, but I'll keep them to myself. I'd first like to see if people can make something better than I have.

I'm sorry, I know that was rude! Won't happen again!
Old 07-06-2008, 07:14 AM   #169
General Contact Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by technogremlin View Post
Oh, and it still stands:

Pictures (not blurs) or it didn't happen!
Want to see the buttons and faders I use? Won't happen. Make your own choices.
Want to see the panel textures I use? Won't happen. Make your own choices.
Want to see the meters I use? Won't happen. Make your own choices.
Want to see the fonts I use? Won't happen. Make your own choices.
Want to see the colors I use? Won't happen, except for the luminosity you've already seen. Your choices should not be very far from mine or you'll break the specs.
-Switchfoot

Last edited by General Contact Unit; 07-06-2008 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:26 AM   #170
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
I'd put a low but non-zero value on that.
I figure you´re an optimist.

Frank
Old 07-06-2008, 07:33 AM   #171
Thehaxx

This is my first post on this forum and i have to say that this is the most pointless thread i've ever read. Really.

I cannot believe that the moderators have not locked this yet.

I think a more appropriate medium for this thread is over at the duke nukem forever forums.

That being said. Woo for idiots. I just became one by adding fuel to the fire.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:48 AM   #172
General Contact Unit

No, it's not entirely pointless. It's not all been in vain. A lot of genuine progress has been made. Here's where we have come so far:
[img]http://img386.**************/img386/1371/trainwreck450bjp7.jpg[/img]
-Switchfoot
Old 07-06-2008, 07:59 AM   #173
General Contact Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehaxx View Post
This is my first post on this forum and i have to say that this is the most pointless thread i've ever read. Really..
It takes discipline. You need to skirt around the issues and go straight to the pointless. And stay the course.
-Switchfoot
Old 07-06-2008, 08:06 AM   #174
technogremlin

Quote:
Want to see the colors I use? Won't happen, except for the luminosity you've already seen. Your choices should not be very far from mine or you'll break the specs.
I'm not interested in your 'specs' nor in 'breaking them'. I was expecting that at some point you would come up with at least a little vindication of what you have been 'bragging' about (YES, bragging: stating several times that YOUR theme is better then what is available so far..... toy, toy, toy, wow this one is PRO!). However, you haven't shown anything and by this last statement of yours (as quoted) you are not going to.

You have already made a fool of yourself. And as that seems the only target of this discussion (as you are not going to show ANYTHING), why continue. Your target has been accomplished: we recognise you as a fool.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:17 AM   #175
Pashkuli
Banned

Not in the bull's eye but into the bull's sh.t!

I am using classic theme. So beat it!
Old 07-06-2008, 08:23 AM   #176
General Contact Unit

Note to developers:
Your bots are still at it.

I'm not interested in your 'specs' nor in 'breaking them'.

But apparently you are interested in a theme they specify by staying here.

I was expecting that at some point you would come up with at least a little vindication

What made you expect such things? I have addressed this matter of 'needing proof''.

of what you have been 'bragging' about (YES, bragging: stating several times that YOUR theme is better then what is available so far..... toy, toy, toy, wow this one is PRO!).

All you have to do is quote me.

However, you haven't shown anything

This has been addressed before. The specs and the screenshot do not constitute 'not anything'. They convey the data needed to meet the specifications. I have addressed this issue before.

and by this last statement of yours (as quoted) you are not going to.

I stated my position in the first post.

You have already made a fool of yourself. And as that seems the only target of this discussion (as you are not going to show ANYTHING), why continue. Your target has been accomplished: we recognise you as a fool.

You have not addressed the logic I use in dealing with this matter, particularly why you think it's foolish - originated by a fool. Please do.

I can write: 'I recognize you as a fool.' Do you feel anything? No? Maybe it's because I haven't provided any logical reasons as to why I recognize you as a fool.

I do not recognize you as a fool. But a bot... ...you aren't making it difficult to entertain that possibility.
-Switchfoot

Last edited by General Contact Unit; 07-06-2008 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:25 AM   #177
boltor

GCU, was the goal of your thread to ire or inspire? If the latter, IMO, you have failed miserably. Maybe I’m missing something but I think your premise, put simply, was this: try to create a theme that looks like a real hardware console. Use colors that would minimize eye fatigue. Now, I’m not a theme guy (pride myself on writing and playing music) but your request doesn’t sound like an insurmountable task, especially for the talented people who have already created many beautiful themes here. I think where this is all going awry is the preoccupation with preserving or maintaining optimal originality. What is truly original and what is not is very hard to define, IMO and can easily lead one down the path of the philosophical highway. For example, are Rock, Folk, and Jazz really original styles of music? One could argue that they are not because the styles were INFLUENCED from a previous form of music. Are there any truly original musical artists or bands? Same argument applies (what’s typically the first question an artist is asked in an interview….what or who are your INFLUENCES?).

You stated that you have come up with a theme that you feel is original because you started from scratch. Maybe you didn’t start out with a template of someone else’s theme BUT your theme was INFLUENCED by your past experiences, be it working with real consoles or other DAW’s. Your choices were definitely shaped by what you have experienced in your past. Therefore, is your theme truly original? Who am I to decide?

If your TRUE INTENTION is to have the talents that hang here create some new themes based on your vision, why not simply give them a peek at what your interpretation of the vision is (it appears to be a common request) and let them take the ball and run with it! I think of the theme guys as artists or painters. It would make sense to me that some artists might need to have a visual cue in order to start their own painting. If your TRUE GOAL is to have a new, useful theme that would benefit many, why not provide the catalyst that inspires the artists! I’m sure that many useful, highly original themes would be created and all of the REAPER community would be forever grateful.

I can’t help but wonder if you’re just feeling a bit insecure about presenting your work to the public. If that were the case, I could totally understand as I always feel a bit hesitant and insecure when I submit my music for R.R. or to others on the musician forums for critique. Instead of refuting with logic or rationale for your position all this, please consider an introspective approach; you might discover that GCU also suffers from the same Human Condition as the rest of us.

I look forward in advance to a barrage of multi-quote refutations; logic, rationalization, and intellectualization, along with a dash of good old GCU humor!!!!

I apologize to everyone for making this such a long-winded reply. I will now leave the twilight zone and get back to the musician forums where I normally hang. It’s been interesting here in the Theme Park!!!!
Old 07-06-2008, 08:52 AM   #178
technogremlin

Quote:
"of what you have been 'bragging' about (YES, bragging: stating several times that YOUR theme is better then what is available so far..... toy, toy, toy, wow this one is PRO!). "

All you have to do is quote me.
Here you go:
Quote:
An old school diehard hardware console guy saw it in a dark room.
One of the first words: pro. (..right after ¤#%#¤!)
I flipped a few themes: toy.. toy..
Now don't think that we are all morons by replying with your over the top nonsense by saying that it was not YOU but some 'old school diehard' who said that; you have no proof that it was not yourself making up these statements.

Oh... and addressing me as a 'bot' doesn't make you look any better, nor does it have any humor in it.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:56 AM   #179
aMUSEd

So where is this theme then?
Old 07-06-2008, 09:00 AM   #180
technogremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by aMUSEd View Post
So where is this theme then?
I'm afraid you (and everyone else here) will NEVER see it:

Quote:
As GCU said: "just quote me"
Old 07-06-2008, 09:14 AM   #181
ed209

I've now lost respect for a lot of forumposters here at Cockos-forum. The first thread spawned this behaviour, of course, but it was way funnier and way more productive the first time around. Now it's just nasty.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:16 AM   #182
General Contact Unit

GCU, was the goal of your thread to ire or inspire? If the latter, IMO, you have failed miserably.

My intention is to be logical and where I fail, you may point.

Maybe I’m missing something but I think your premise, put simply, was this: try to create a theme that looks like a real hardware console. Use colors that would minimize eye fatigue.

That's it. Now, themers, seems like dumb idea? Any questions, any objections? No? Get to work.

your request doesn’t sound like an insurmountable task, especially for the talented people who have already created many beautiful themes here.

No superhuman, White Tie skills are required. But it wouldn't hurt.

I think where this is all going awry is the preoccupation with preserving or maintaining optimal originality.

Sure. People want to see. I don't want to show. Yet.

BUT your theme was INFLUENCED by your past experiences, be it working with real consoles or other DAW’s. Your choices were definitely shaped by what you have experienced in your past. Therefore, is your theme truly original? Who am I to decide?

I cited my influences. My theme isn't truly original, as nothing can be truly original being bound by functional requirements.

If your TRUE INTENTION is to have the talents that hang here create some new themes based on your vision, why not simply give them a peek at what your interpretation of the vision is (it appears to be a common request)

I have posted a peek that conveys all the information that I feel doesn't jeopardize the objective of maintaining originality.

and let them take the ball and run with it!

They could be running with it if they wanted to. Perhaps some are.

I think of the theme guys as artists or painters. It would make sense to me that some artists might need to have a visual cue in order to start their own painting.

They have. Even as a non-themer, I can pick out information from such a picture, enough to be inspired and start working on a theme like it.

If your TRUE GOAL is to have a new, useful theme that would benefit many, why not provide the catalyst that inspires the artists!

I have. It's meant to inspire, not tell them exactly what to do. If it fails inspire the problem is not with the pic. I have described possible button choices and shown the panel color choices in detail. What more you want to see? Apparently the buttons and panels themselves. That's all you're missing. You can look for inspiration from any console manufacturers site.

I’m sure that many useful, highly original themes would be created and all of the REAPER community would be forever grateful.

I see no reason why that wouldn't be possible without these two threads, since there is nothing original or mine in these ideas.

I can’t help but wonder if you’re just feeling a bit insecure about presenting your work to the public.

See my take on 'reputation'? Hardly insecurity issues. My choices are functional and have stood the test of daily use for the past year in a wide variety of lighting conditions, viewing distances. I haven't been annoyed by the pixels. If someone comes up with a better idea - fine - I hadn't explored enough options. My choice sucked. If not fully, then partially. Next version.

you might discover that GCU also suffers from the same Human Condition as the rest of us.

You have to be a bit more specific if you want me to discuss these ideas. I'm open to discussion.

I look forward in advance to a barrage of multi-quote refutations; logic, rationalization, and intellectualization, along with a dash of good old GCU humor!!!!

You got it. ...but what humor are you referring to?

"a) devoid of genuine humour"

If you find something humorous, just ask him and I'm sure he can explain why you're mistaken.
-Switchfoot

Last edited by General Contact Unit; 07-06-2008 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:19 AM   #183
hourglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed209 View Post
I've now lost respect for a lot of forumposters here at Cockos-forum. The first thread spawned this behaviour, of course, but it was way funnier and way more productive the first time around. Now it's just nasty.
gotta say i agree with this. there are just one or two folks here who are baiting GCU, although wanting to have the last word keeps his replies coming, and the cycle repeats. yes, this is all patently ridiculous imho, so why keep poking at the wound? ignore the damn thread and let it die.

>> random thoughts about the world, digested into bitesize bloggy chunks
>> doubledotdash!? collective - hear tunes!
Old 07-06-2008, 09:44 AM   #184
General Contact Unit

Now don't think that we are all morons by replying with your over the top nonsense by saying that it was not YOU but some 'old school diehard' who said that; you have no proof that it was not yourself making up these statements.

I have addressed the issue of 'lying' in a previous post.
You may call me a liar but it doesn't make me one. If I don't offer proof, it is no proof that I'm a liar. I'm truthfully reporting a case of initial responses that resulted from me flipping through the themes in a dimly lit room. That's not bragging. That's reporting. If you feel I should not have reported that, that's your editorial policy. If he had said it sucked I would have fixed it until I got that response and I would have reported that my initial attempts sucked but subsequently I got the thumbs up. But I got it on the first try, likely because it met the specs and he agreed that meeting the specs was a good thing. I need not make stuff up. Now I know that at least one old school guy thinks it's 'pro' (in his words, not mine) and that's good to know. Do you have more examples of what you feel is bragging?

Oh... and addressing me as a 'bot' doesn't make you look any better, nor does it have any humor in it.

Humor is not my aim, rather I'm communicating the fact that I'm witnessing bot-like behavior, a pattern that is strong and unchanging, unmistakeably botish - an issue you may contest. I specified the characteristics of such behavior at some length. Your failure to see it as such is the principal prerequisite pattern of bot-like behavior. As long as you do not alter the patterns, the characterization fits.

Please offer something to support your characterization of myself as "fool". Perhaps you can point out some patterns of illogical thought or incongruous manners, which would constitute "foolishness", being a "fool"?
-Switchfoot

Last edited by General Contact Unit; 07-06-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:48 AM   #185
General Contact Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by technogremlin View Post
I'm afraid you (and everyone else here) will NEVER see it:

As GCU said: "just quote me"
You failed to find the quote. You should find the quote to support your claim of "NEVER". Just quote me where I say never.
-Switchfoot
Old 07-06-2008, 10:15 AM   #186
technogremlin

Quote:
You failed to find the quote. You should find the quote to support your claim of "NEVER". Just quote me where I say never.
"Won't happen" = "NEVER".... but I'm confident you have some twisted idea about this rationalisation.

Hourglass made a good point, I'm done with this. Have a nice life.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:47 AM   #187
General Contact Unit

An alternative ending for test audiences:

My detractors win. I accept I was wrong at every point, and nothing I said made sense, though it was never pointed out as to why. I congratulate you on your victory that you achieved by never delivering one blow that actually touched any issue that I raised.

Signed,
GCU, aka the fool (as everyone now knows)

P.S. Anyone who disagrees I'm a fool may say so to cheer me up, because I feel really miserable now that I've failed and been proven an absolute fool, reputation in shambles. I fear I may do something hasty in this volatile state of mind and even delete the theme, the theme that I so cherished (I've been having recurring thoughts of committing themecide) and go back to using the default, to erase any memory of this dark, dark hour of my life. Any suggestions for a good alternative theme? Just make sure it's nothing that remotely meets the "specs", the ignorable specs.
-Switchfoot

Last edited by General Contact Unit; 07-06-2008 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:09 AM   #188
General Contact Unit

"Won't happen" = "NEVER".... but I'm confident you have some twisted idea about this rationalisation.

Yes, and that twisted idea is the word 'yet'.

Hourglass made a good point, I'm done with this. Have a nice life.

Likewise. Nice chat. Maybe we should do this again some other time? I'm sure we can find something to disagree on: I provide the logic and you provide the... well... the thing you do. Sparks would fly and discussing the issues would grind to a halt, again, just like in the good old times.
-Switchfoot

Last edited by General Contact Unit; 07-06-2008 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:03 PM   #189
ed209

cheer up. things just got out of hand. you had a different approach to co-developing themes that triggered many strange behaviours. if this thread was sprung out of nowhere it is frightingly hostile, but as it is it's a continuation of the first with the long wait inbetween, which makes it slightly less frightning. hope you'll continue developing your themes.

/ed
Old 07-06-2008, 12:04 PM   #190
thebearingedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattonfreak1 View Post
GCU, do you hang out at KvR under the handle "Midiworks"?

Is your name Renee?

Do you like beans?

Do you like George Wendt?
Would you like to take a survey?

I am excited to see this when it is finally done. Right now I'm pretty happy with the default GUI but a GUI that looks like an actual console sounds pretty sexy, bullshit aside.

Last edited by thebearingedge; 07-06-2008 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:39 PM   #191
DAnttila

Default Theme

Im not gonna fuel this fire (already failed?), and i havent really cared to read all 50 pages of it but GCU, could you or anyone else point me to some pics or similar that you think could be influences in creating this kind of theme? Maybe some hardware units or mixers that you feel have a nice feel to it? I dont really know of any good hardware that could translate to a theme but would like some inspiration or pointers.

/danttila
Old 07-06-2008, 01:20 PM   #192
General Contact Unit

You can start by reaping some image search.
-Switchfoot
Old 07-06-2008, 02:19 PM   #193
NAS

Ha still goin

To all the people who are saying we shouldn't be answering and GCU should keep making themes

1 He insulted a hell of a lot Themers in the first part of this rubbish so i think to be honest everybody is being very cool in this second part

2 What themes ? He hasn't made any themes public so how do you know he has made any ?

Look back through this thread and you will find that when i asked GCU if he was just after attention he answered in the affirmative
Maybe we are helping him through a stage he is ging through or something
Who knows ?

NAS
Old 07-06-2008, 02:59 PM   #194
robo

General Contact Unit,

I just wanna hug you til all the bad comes out.

Plus there's rainbows.

Robo
Old 07-06-2008, 03:32 PM   #195
General Contact Unit

Alternative ending 2 for test audiences:

Dear detractors,

All your assumptions were correct. (Suprised?) Not just partly but 100%. All your indignant hostility and anger justified. It's a wonder you've been so lenient with me. All the points you made were correct. None of mine were. Nothing I said ever made any sense. Everything you said made 100% sense. In fact, it was all lies where ever I could slip one in. I'm a pathological liar. When I lie, I feel good. I feel powerful. In control. It's a lifestyle. I can't tell right from wrong. Maybe I can but I don't care. You should see me brag among my "friends" (surprisingly I don't have any). I brag a lot. You don't know how much I brag. I actually brag about bragging. I'm an unskilled fool who does nothing but makes up stories of awesome super-cool things he claims he's made and points at other, decent, talented people laughing "ha-ha you suck, my stuff ownz" and wastes people's time with his nonsensical attention-seeking pretentious drama queen pseudo-philosophical philostopher dictionary-grabbing high and mighty overlength high horse rants devoid of any logic, humor, or reason. There never was and never will be a theme, simply because I possess zero skills in anything but BS. I just couldn't make one even if I tried. The only sound related skill I have is snoring. The blurry pic was solely made to insult you, especially the talented ones. I giggled with glee when I posted it. I so enjoy insulting. So it was also a complete lie. It was just a blurred theme with lightness tweaked and white boxes for faders so it would look a bit different, just a simple mod to insult you. Success! All your suspicions were correct right from the start. You called my bluff, saw through me, read me like an open book. All now confirmed. I'm smelly, bad tempered, foulmouthed, dumb, and generally unpleasant to be around and I haven't returned fire only because I've been on particularly heavy meds that make me happy and carefree but as they're soon wearing off I better stop before I start making rude remarks.
-Switchfoot

Last edited by General Contact Unit; 07-06-2008 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:16 PM   #196
pattonfreak1

In before the lock...

Old 07-06-2008, 05:31 PM   #197
thatbastarddon

Default i managed to get something from this thread

i've got to say that this thread actually inspired me to do some work on my current favorite theme today. i had never really tried before. it was actually fun(not very good but fun, none the less). thanks everyone.

off for some hash browns
Closed Thread