Old 02-25-2008, 10:51 AM   #81
larrygates
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed209 View Post
ah, it's like going into an arena to face doom, this time personified by mr.larrygates
You are a talented person with words. That is the first time ever anyone has replied to my personality on a forum, made a joke, and I actually understood the joke, it was funny, and you weren't trying to belittle anyone. I applaud your character.

Quote:
nah, kidding. I do agree since the first real screen of the work in progress was not much fun. however I do think theming can be taken further than already has even within the boundaries we're given. take this theme, it won't look like the first screen for sure, but maybe out of the compromises turn into something equally nice?

well, mr.shramm of course you do as you wish. you seem to have the talent and the vision, great to have you here and looking forward to your work(s)!
I think you feel close to the way I do. You're just trying to be optimistic that anything less than the original concept will be good.

You know it won't, there is nothing on this forum that tops that, only thing on par with it is Brice's additional menu Idea. That would be perfection with this theme. Oh my GOD. I'm close to jumping out of REAPER because of work flow problems, but being able to have true "ELASTIC" audio, not that fake pro Tools version for oodles of cash is hard to beat.
larrygates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:52 AM   #82
Solar

Default simply amazing!

Hands down for this Theme... simply amazing concept!! I love the fact taht the VU is inside the Volume track but as someone here suggest, ADD VU in the track VIEW thats all!!

Amazing job, keep up the good work and looking forward to try this or see this become the Default!!!+ 10
Old 02-25-2008, 11:30 AM   #83
gregh

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Just for the sake of full disclosure, I have indeed taken a tiny bit of personal offence at some of the IMO overly forceful comments made in response to this thread,
You shouldn't take any from my comments as they are primarily in relation to the interaction design of the program rather than the graphics or skins. Zargon makes a good point about skinning being insufficient for the improvements that are possible.

Obviously J&C have concentrated on function to this point.
gregh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:46 AM   #84
larrygates

Quote:
Can I request you stop working on this mockup and concentrate on a working theme?

The problem with mockups is perfectly illustrated by this thread, they seem to make users dissatisfied with the current state-of-play and qualify their opinions with sweeping statements like:

I won't use a crap half way thing now that I know what you really intended.
Wow, I've just got put in my place the Reason why people were going hard at skinning Reaper in the first place. Sure it was probably in the works, but you did exactly the same thing Shramm did. Now you're telling me I'm making blanket statements because I don't like the way the theme looks compromised. That's bull shit come off all the client mock up stuff, because we're not talking about a multi-million user product with an R&D department. We're talking amongst the community, where obviously you are the sheriff. Don't call me out on statements like I won't use a halfway theme. Duh, I won't download themes I don't like or comment on them.

Call me out on things like I'll challenge anyone to mix 24 bit vs 16 bit. Not on this. I'm offended you chose to pick us out to be in the wrong because we don't like something. As I said again, you did a mock up, that had nothing to do at all with Reaper's ability at the time. But the last few mockups show that things need to be done to move things forward. Slow or not.

Keep doing mockups everyone, I'll make a mock up now. It'll be a paper mache Theme that I'll mail all the reaper users who want it, and they will put it over top of their monitor.

Don't call me out on opinion posts unless you want me to start doing this. Seriously Sheriff Tie, seriously.

Long live the Mock up!

Quote:
And in the meantime, you get to make a lot of people's hard work look lacklustre. Doing a working theme takes more work than a mockup, for a less visually appealing result. The game here, as in all design that I'm aware of, is to work within the limitations for maximum result. If a client booked me to do a tiny 3" advert and I deliver a two page spread saying "yeah, but that's better - there's more space to do things" he'd understandably kick my face off. Reaper theming is much the same; embrace the limitations, see them as a challenge.
Silly, producers and songwriters have made my work look lackluster because they were doing better song mock ups than me. It's normal, if work is lacking and people are willing to show their efforts, they're also willing to show that their work may suck in comparison to others have learned from their hard work.

Man I'm really holding back comments now.

Quote:
Doing a mockup gives any designer a short-cut to express a lot of ideas quickly... and that's always a good thing, right? Well, no. Because if the skinning abilities are going to move forwards, they're going to move slowly. Simply saying 'give us infinite flexibility' is understandable but utterly naive. It will happen bit by bit, and I assure all of you there are plenty of very well informed, talented people helping guide it. Add the OP as another clearly informed and talented individual to that discussion? Fantastic, and mockups do have their place in that process as discussion documents, but that's all.
Now that I know this is a board, and only the "talented" individuals are locked in a room discussing things, I guess I'll be pulling away from talking in these theme threads and just wait like a good boy for you and the board to serve up what I need to be served. Wow, you def have the I'm in the know and the now attitude intact. Again I'm holding back comments, because I respect what you've done, and others have gained from your mock ups, that now that you've set the tone the board is locked to you and the "talented" individuals (who haven't outdone Shramm from what I've seen)

If you want to make FRs for the skining engine, go right ahead. But keep them achievable, and recognise there's a huge queue . The big man has said we shall probably have movable buttons at some point. When? well, I suppose when he feels motivated to do it. I'd really like far greater control over font smoothing, colour allocation, bg stretch zones. At the moment we can't define the mute colour offsets in the take lanes. These things are all existing FRs, and I'm taking the view they may never happen, so that if they do, it'll be a nice surprise.
Quote:
I'm guessing that if I was to stamp my foot and whine "Reaper will be shit till this happens" they would be less likely to happen, because I would have turned them from a nice idea into a whinge.
Wow, I guess since I only use themes that make sense to me, and since seeing this theme I'm now a whiner and saying Reaper is shit. Wow. just wow.

Quote:
Just for the sake of full disclosure, I have indeed taken a tiny bit of personal offence at some of the IMO overly forceful comments made in response to this thread, but I'm being chilled and not letting it colour the comments I have made. We are a community, we all want what's best for Reaper.
No duh sheriff. Let the gloves off. You moved the skinning forward the most, but now it seems if you're not paid homage then there's going to be consequences. I knew you were offended, I think about it everytime I see themes that are getting better and better, and the fact that you started most if not all of it. Stop whining and understand that true innovation usually means you're not the one getting recognized for it. Or is that wisdom, or is that I can say whatever I want how I want to, and so can you, unless you're here to stop me.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:25 PM   #85
larrygates

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregh View Post
You shouldn't take any from my comments as they are primarily in relation to the interaction design of the program rather than the graphics or skins.
Exaclty, the workflow doesn't work for certain styles of production. To me and I'm sure others it's obvious some things were made for the developer or those close to the developer. But, it's moved out of that stage.
Quote:
Well Zargon makes a good point about skinning being insufficient for the improvements that are possible.

Obviously J&C have concentrated on function to this point.
That's def happening, everyone here knows it takes time to move things into a working flowing environment. But of course all we do here is whine, and don't help each other, because we're all 9 or 6 years old and no one here makes music for money, and likes to go through numberous sub menus to do anything, and learn 60 macros to hit the play button.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:32 PM   #86
larrygates

Quote:
Just for the sake of full disclosure, I have indeed taken a tiny bit of personal offence at some of the IMO overly forceful comments made in response to this thread, but I'm being chilled and not letting it colour the comments I have made. We are a community, we all want what's best for Reaper.
I didn't really take notice of this comment the first time, so I'll address it again. Overly forceful. That's funny. This particular frame of mind of don't say anything that would offend anyone because we all work so hard to bring everyone something good, and we're all for the greater good of humanity so watch any comments that would hurt or offend us.

Wow, that sounds like Pleasantville or Mayberry, or Bizarro Land in upside down mode, or dare I say, America, or any 3rd world dictator ship or my Grandma's house where I can't sit on the plastic couch or eat off the dinner plates.

You guys are funny. I gotta make some hits so I can make fun of things even more and then get paid for it.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:20 PM   #87
aldi

ahhhmm, one question, how would a completely minimized tcp look like with this theme ??

pending fr's: NONE ! :D
aldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:20 PM   #88
susbemol

Sorry mate... I don't normally say things like this but if your music sounds anything like yourself, I hope I am never unfortunate enough to come across it!

Now added to my ignore list!
susbemol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:22 PM   #89
Curvespace

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrygates View Post
...But of course all we do here is whine, and don't help each other, because we're all 9 or 6 years old and no one here makes music for money, and likes to go through numberous sub menus to do anything, and learn 60 macros to hit the play button.
Using sarcasm whilst trying to imply your own maturity is counter-productive.

I think Shramm's mock-up has raised a number of issues.

Firstly, is having a skinnable GUI worth the effort? If we had no choice in the matter would it provide Cockos with an easier task in refining and reworking the work-flow in future? Would it reduce overly dramatic discussions about what Reaper needs and what it might not be able to accommodate in regards its styling? I personally love the fact that it is skinnable. The arguments/disagreements raised in this thread simply go to prove that people have wildly differing tastes, Reaper is one of the few applications out there to attempt to cater for that. Statements such as 'everything before it was crap' doesn't help anything or anybody. It's 'just' a theme, hyperbole sometimes only stands to divide people, as proven here. It wont change the world. It's not chocolate thongs. It's just a really cool idea for a theme, that's all. No need to tread the war-path beating a drum.

There have been some great developments in the past made by a number of different people. These things are put into a melting pot and fresher, better things often come out. It's not a question of having one 'fits-all' design, but rather a multitude of wildly differing themes that cover a range of tastes. When I previously stated that I'd like to see Shramm's theme (or something similar) as the default skin it was not meant in anyway to disrespect others efforts in the past. I just felt that as a lot of first impressions are visual, then it'd be good to have a skin that marks Reaper out from the crowd a little. Even if the default is taken to an absolute extreme and comes with a simpler theme as an alternative, I believe it is important to 'wow' punters or at least grab their attention from the outset. Tie's Olga skin has just had exactly that effect on me

Other issues raised concern how adaptable the skinning engine can be. Could it realistically be entirely configurable and still efficient? Is it really worth that much of the developers time? I'm not a coder and I'm certainly not Justin, so I have no idea what the answers to these things are.

Zargon claimed that skinnable software is a method to shrug off responsibility in regards the design. I don't think that's the case at all. I spent many hours sat in front of my computer and I want to be able to customise it and make it my own, in the same way I'll paint my house or put up pictures. I have a suspicion that user editable design will be a far more prevalent aspect of software design in the future.

I understand White Tie's statement that mock-ups do have a tendency to whip up enthusiasm for things that can never entirely be realised. Now whether that's the designers fault or our own for being to easily seduced I'm not sure. I don't think for one minute that he considers himself arbiter of design and I'm sure he is as willing as anybody to assimilate ideas for Reaper's future. I think his post was very self-effacing and he even stated that even his own mock-ups in the past have not ever been fully realised. What I think (and obviously I can't speak for him on this) he has taken exception to people saying things like:

"You've proven you're ahead of the pack in regards to what a theme should be. Blatantly proven. No one can argue that at all."

and:

"force the dev to make the program do what he needs to make this new default theme (that dare I say, smokes everyone else's theme's)"

Ok, firstly, anyone can argue anything regarding taste. Secondly, 'force the dev', fuck that, I think you mean to say 'suggest to the dev'. Thirdly, why do you need to say it 'smokes everyone elses themes'? I personally think Ted Warigo's work is exceptional, other people choose to use other themes. That's the WHOLE POINT of it being skinnable. This isn't a competition, it isn't about oneupmanship.

To conclude, it's just a theme. Sit back, smoke some more crack and calm the fuck down.
Curvespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:57 PM   #90
Zargon the Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curvespace View Post
is having a skinnable GUI worth the effort?
At this point in Reaper's development, I'd much much rather have one theme (perhaps with a few colour-combo choices) that looked 'finished' than 1000 themes by our brave comrades who fight the good fight against the skinning limitations.

If skinning is such a great idea (in Reaper's current state) then I ask you this:

Why is it that nobody has been able to produce anything that looks as cohesive or complete or handsome as, say, Nuendo 4 or Logic 8 or Samplitude 10?

Forget whether you like those other apps or not, just look at them in terms of pure aesthetics. They look, at the very least, business-like.
Zargon the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:11 PM   #91
Shramm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldi View Post
ahhhmm, one question, how would a completely minimized tcp look like with this theme ??
you mean this (or i just misunderstood you)?

if you mean this, i'll show you later my version, that's no problem at all.

ps. c'mon, guys, stop to fight each other i think it is not worth of it.
Shramm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:13 PM   #92
larrygates

Quote:
Originally Posted by saulopv View Post
Sorry mate... I don't normally say things like this but if your music sounds anything like yourself, I hope I am never unfortunate enough to come across it!

Now added to my ignore list!
Good. When you do make sure you tell everyone else how much it sucks and you hate it when you hear it and see me. And I'll be sure to let you know personally how I feel about your hurtful comments to my career.

This does qualify as IMO forceful comments in regards to this thread. Unlike most of people involved with this (I don't know what to call it) I have a thick skin and invite your comments about my character, music, integrity, and your ability to use your opinion and not have me say that it's uncalled for because you weren't nice to me.

Let it fly, even though this is a thread about a mock up that everyone likes. How did I become any point of any part of anything. Unless you want me typing here, there's no need to address me, as I haven't addressed you, and you probably will go into some tirade about something emotional that doesn't really point to much except an ego bruise.

Quote:
Using sarcasm whilst trying to imply your own maturity is counter-productive.
Not sure if that was a joke or some type of parable that I have no idea about what so ever. Enlighten me please, sounded like a joke (:
Old 02-25-2008, 02:26 PM   #93
Shramm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldi View Post
for example like this:

Last edited by Shramm; 02-25-2008 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:31 PM   #94
S-N-S

looks really good,but please stop teasing us,no reason too,as long as this theme cant be a reality

S-N-S

www.myspace.com/scandinaviannoizesyndicate

FOR NEWS AND INFO
http://digitalvomit.wikidot.com/scan...oize-syndicate
S-N-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:43 PM   #95
larrygates

Quote:
I think his post was very self-effacing and he even stated that even his own mock-ups in the past have not ever been fully realised. What I think (and obviously I can't speak for him on this) he has taken exception to people saying things like:

"You've proven you're ahead of the pack in regards to what a theme should be. Blatantly proven. No one can argue that at all."

and:

"force the dev to make the program do what he needs to make this new default theme (that dare I say, smokes everyone else's theme's)"
What you don't seem to get is that White Tie started all of the moves forward in this theming thing. His mockup was the one that opened up everyone's eyes. He was the first one to bring the attention to a much needed issue. People were pissed talking about bloat and what not, but it became a reality.

That's the progression of things, now it's Shramm who's doing something new that people didn't realize and it's good.

It's better than all the other themes, so what, I can say that and you can defend them as I'm sure artists won't care much about claims against their work. To them it won't matter they have their reasons as to why they do what they do. Support the ones that need you to support them.

Quote:
Ok, firstly, anyone can argue anything regarding taste. Secondly, 'force the dev', fuck that, I think you mean to say 'suggest to the dev'. Thirdly, why do you need to say it 'smokes everyone elses themes'? I personally think Ted Warigo's work is exceptional, other people choose to use other themes. That's the WHOLE POINT of it being skinnable. This isn't a competition, it isn't about oneupmanship.
Oh right, I forgot everyone here loves each other so much. That's not how the majority of interactions go. Things are done talked about commented on. I keep relevant to the point, but then you do this, as a few others have went directly at me, because I speak very highly about a . . . get this . . . Theme

Quote:
To conclude, it's just a theme. Sit back, smoke some more crack and calm the fuck down.
Now you tell me what's not cool, saying that I smoke crack because I think 1 piece of art is better than another, and I come out and say that; or, you saying that I partake in something that was created for inner city minorities to further deprive them of autonomous thought?

Not many things offend me, but blatant "odd" comments like "smoke some more crack" (crack being made and manufactured and knowing people who've had to deal with issues related to it, knowing family who've had problems with it is uncalled for).

Wow, I must be on to something to evoke this type of emotion and comments from multiple people. I feel more complete everyday.

Apologies that I don't smoke crack, making your statement seem a little odd. Just a little.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:44 PM   #96
Shramm

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-N-S View Post
looks really good,but please stop teasing us,no reason too,as long as this theme cant be a reality
who knows, who knows...

ok, i'll stop work on it, but anyway someday there will appear another crazy guy, who will offer his own vision of reaper.

actually, i just offer, i don't force to realize this, 'cos i'm not the reaper owner. so the final deсision is his, not mine (if he'll focus his attention on this thread at all)

the only reason i made this theme is that i wish to help to get reaper look better. i'm not saying 'i'm coolest designer in the world! make my theme realized or die!' )))))))))))))))))))

Last edited by Shramm; 02-25-2008 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:01 PM   #97
Shramm

Quote:
Apologies that I don't smoke crack...
but i do kidding.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:14 PM   #98
aldi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shramm View Post
for example like this:
hmm, no i meant extracted to the right with phase, fx io and all buttons visible like now. think it isn't possible to be looking like now again and the tracks are higher in your gui. btw, that doesn't mean that i like it that way, it's just a point to think about.

pending fr's: NONE ! :D
aldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:48 PM   #99
larrygates

Quote:
but i do kidding.
I like this guy. Very tasteful.

On topic. Very good mock up.

Very good. All hail the king of mock ups!

King Shramm!
Old 02-25-2008, 04:02 PM   #100
Shramm

Quote:
All hail the king of mock ups!
King Shramm!
*...and happy people ran at breakneck pace, and didn't notice they trampled shramm down. they just were so happy...*
Old 02-25-2008, 05:14 PM   #101
larrygates

Quote:
*...and happy people ran at breakneck pace, and didn't notice they trampled shramm down. they just were so happy...*
Ha Ha Ha.

What a good thread, there was defaming of character. Unjustified name calling, and character accusations, Times of jubilee. Exalting themers. Personal feelings about art. Picketing. Burning at stakes. Executive posturing. Suits. A Giraffe. A Gazelle. Monty Python.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:21 PM   #102
Curvespace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zargon the Destroyer View Post
If skinning is such a great idea (in Reaper's current state) then I ask you this:

Why is it that nobody has been able to produce anything that looks as cohesive or complete or handsome as, say, Nuendo 4 or Logic 8 or Samplitude 10?

Forget whether you like those other apps or not, just look at them in terms of pure aesthetics. They look, at the very least, business-like.
I personally think the Ted Warigo skins do look as good (if not better) than some other pro apps. Again it's a matter of taste. As I mentioned previously, maybe the skinning engine does need enhancing in order to get it to the desired level. I agree that Reaper could do with a stronger identity regarding its default graphics, but I also really love the ability to heavily customise it. I'd love it to look like ReNoise, but I'm sure there's plenty of people here who would like something completely different to me. I'm willing to compromise some element of 'finish' in order to accommodate that range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryGates
What you don't seem to get is that White Tie started all of the moves forward in this theming thing.
I'm well aware of that. Did you actually read my post?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curvespace
I think his post was very self-effacing and he even stated that even his (meaning White Ties) own mock-ups in the past have not ever been fully realised.
Quote:
(In response to:"Using sarcasm whilst trying to imply your own maturity is counter-productive.") Not sure if that was a joke or some type of parable that I have no idea about what so ever. Enlighten me please, sounded like a joke (:
Matthew 4:18 "and let it be spoken that he who useth sarcasm as furtherment of ones own standing shall not cometh forth into the kingdom of the lord." Look it up.

Quote:
Oh right, I forgot everyone here loves each other so much. That's not how the majority of interactions go. Things are done talked about commented on. I keep relevant to the point, but then you do this, as a few others have went directly at me, because I speak very highly about a . . . get this . . . Theme
Maybe not when you are involved, though that is perhaps a reflection upon yourself than the world at large. Besides, it's not a question of 'loving everyone so much', it's simply a matter of understanding when your comments might cause offence to other people. That's an issue of respect and self-awareness. Also, I think you'll find that I was also saying it was "just a theme" and hence, it's not necessary to use hyperbole that other themers might find disrespectful of their own work.

What do you mean "I do this"? Do you mean have opinion? Does 'this' happen to you a lot?!? You claim to have stayed relevant to the point yet you posted a whole load of comments berating what was actually a reasonably intended post from White Tie. Not to mention the fact your writing is an absolute dog to comprehend - I've had to read some your sentences multiple times to understand what it is you are actually trying to say "A few others have went directly at me"? What?! Does my crack-smoking statement make more sense now? Which, incidentally, WAS a joke and not a parable. It was intended lightheartedly and to take it on a literal level suggests either psychosis or trolling.

Quote:
Wow, I must be on to something to evoke this type of emotion and comments from multiple people. I feel more complete everyday.
Hmmm, I'm erring on the side of trolling.

Quote:
I like this guy. Very tasteful.

On topic. Very good mock up.

Very good. All hail the king of mock ups!

King Shramm!
Yawn. I didn't realise there was an ignore feature on forums. I might have to try it. See if the world gets lighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shramm
It's alright, we can pick you up and dust you off. You got a lighter?
Old 02-25-2008, 05:37 PM   #103
Shramm

Quote:
It's alright, we can pick you up and dust you off. You got a lighter?
no, just little power-saving bulb indicating that i almost reached zen condition ))
Old 02-25-2008, 05:44 PM   #104
Juni Hong

Default Wow..

Your theme is very brilliant.
I can't wait to apply it to my computer.

When can I see this? :-)
Juni Hong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:10 PM   #105
Shramm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juni Hong View Post
Your theme is very brilliant.
I can't wait to apply it to my computer.

When can I see this? :-)
as soon as i finish it
Old 02-26-2008, 02:37 AM   #106
mysteryman

Quote:
as soon as i finish it
Please do that. And let me apologize for some of the nattering nabobs of negativity around here. (old school political humour)
mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:47 AM   #107
Shramm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteryman View Post
Please do that.
i'll try to do my best, and finish my work. of cos there will be some changes, but i'll try to make it look similar-styled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteryman View Post
And let me apologize for some of the nattering nabobs of negativity around here. (old school political humour)
it's ok no designers were harmed during the discussing on this thread )
Old 02-26-2008, 05:16 AM   #108
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

I'll not be responding to Larry.

As Regards the mockup situation, I've repeatedly asked people to stop posting my mockup for the same reasons. If you have a scoot back you'll see that when advanced theming was implemented, almost immediately one or two people started bashing it as not good 'enough' and used my mockup as ammunition to support that position. Which was IMO ungrateful to Justin and unhelpful to all. This, sadly, seems to be the way it goes with mockups.

I can assure you with absolute certainty that advanced theming was not implemented 'because of' my mockup.

To illustrate my point about using the theming as is and advancing it in a manageable way, I'd like to draw all of your attentions to the text on Shramm's fine mockup. He has used different coloured text in different areas, and that can't be done at the moment, because of the all-encompassing power of the "Main Window Text" colour control. But there are many good design reasons why you would want to use different coloured text, so its an existing FR. We haven't got it yet, but if and when we do it'll be a boon for all us designers to make things that little bit better. It'll be a good thing, unless the 'glass half empty' attitude prevails and yet again a step forward is casually dismissed for being 'not enough'. Mockups, alas and through no fault of the designers, seem to breed that attitude.

I've tried to use a pragmatic and moderate tone in this post. Seems strange to have to say that, but hey-ho...
White Tie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:40 AM   #109
Curvespace

White Tie: I hope that my previous posts weren't read as too heavy a criticism of the current default. In retrospect I can see how they could have sounded that way. I just feel that Reaper might benefit from a more idiosyncratic scheme that will jump out of review pages and websites and provide an identity for the software that separates it from other sequencers available.

I think you sounded pragmatic in your post, which is why I was surprised at the slightly rabid response.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:58 AM   #110
jens

Quote:
I'll not be responding to Larry.

As Regards the mockup situation, I've repeatedly asked people to stop posting my mockup for the same reasons. If you have a scoot back you'll see that when advanced theming was implemented, almost immediately one or two people started bashing it as not good 'enough' and used my mockup as ammunition to support that position. Which was IMO ungrateful to Justin and unhelpful to all. This, sadly, seems to be the way it goes with mockups.

I can assure you with absolute certainty that advanced theming was not implemented 'because of' my mockup.

To illustrate my point about using the theming as is and advancing it in a manageable way, I'd like to draw all of your attentions to the text on Shramm's fine mockup. He has used different coloured text in different areas, and that can't be done at the moment, because of the all-encompassing power of the "Main Window Text" colour control. But there are many good design reasons why you would want to use different coloured text, so its an existing FR. We haven't got it yet, but if and when we do it'll be a boon for all us designers to make things that little bit better. It'll be a good thing, unless the 'glass half empty' attitude prevails and yet again a step forward is casually dismissed for being 'not enough'. Mockups, alas and through no fault of the designers, seem to breed that attitude.

I've tried to use a pragmatic and moderate tone in this post. Seems strange to have to say that, but hey-ho...
o.k. - understood - apologies for my post then!
jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:22 AM   #111
earlabs

Quote:
Ha Ha Ha.

What a good thread, there was defaming of character. Unjustified name calling, and character accusations, Times of jubilee. Exalting themers. Personal feelings about art. Picketing. Burning at stakes. Executive posturing. Suits. A Giraffe. A Gazelle. Monty Python.
Ah, for Pete's sake, LarryGates!!!
Old 02-26-2008, 11:25 AM   #112
larrygates

. . . hmm
Old 02-26-2008, 04:32 PM   #113
stillwalker

Quote:
. . . hmm
...cooling down ?
stillwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:10 PM   #114
manning1

Shramm.
just want to say.
lovely job.
manning1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:52 PM   #115
larrygates

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillwalker View Post
...cooling down ?
good times, good times.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:33 AM   #116
anisbd
Banned

good times, good times.
anisbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:55 PM   #117
jeffsanders

Incredible job. I'd love to see this happen!! By FAR the most beautiful design I've seen here...even though it won't fit as is.

Strange to see White Tie so disturbed and vocal about the whole thing. It is what it is. It's all good...
Old 02-28-2008, 02:19 AM   #118
historic stork

i vote for a real Shramm theme....and continued work on this dream theme. to me, it's a motivation. reaper improves with each update, and theming will no doubt see some more attention in the future. until then, it's okay to dream right? i understand some people get impatient, but work like this provides a new vision for what we could see down the road.

so i vote for a real theme and this pretend theme.
ECHO Audiofire 12
historic stork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:34 AM   #119
Clavieramolette

Great work, i just wanted to ask you what software are using cause i would like to see more theme like yours, or maybe it is just your talent, i would love to see some more great theme soon, *Your
Your theme look so different than every other....!!!!

So feel free to explain your "technique" or software... maybe some other people will follow your way later....
Thanx for your work and your time....
Clavieramolette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:56 AM   #120
oneshot

It's not software. It can be Corel Draw, Macromedia Freehand, Adobe Illustrator, but without experience it's just a useless piece of code.
"Vector style" , or "plain" - no gradients, no "1pixel" borders, etc. Clean and simple look, but if you don't know what are you doing, all the work looks ugly.
Minimalism
btw, i'm the second member of "1shot" crew.
oneshot is offline   Reply With Quote