Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 08-30-2014, 03:26 AM   #41
gofer
-blänk-

Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfRhino View Post
And I'm all for excluding the main OS shortcuts from being mapped otherwise - e.g. ctrl + z should not be available for other functions, but you should be able to add another shortcut, in my example the straight z.
ymmv,
Rhino
Disagree on this one. As long as OS shortcuts are not used in a non-conform way by Reaper's default I think it should be up to the user to decide whether he wants to stay conform.

For example, I use different actions than the default cut and copy Reaper offers. And I do like that I can use Ctrl+x and Ctrl+v for them, as they completely replace the stock ones for me.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:12 AM   #42
foxAsteria
Human being with feelings

yea agree w gofer; limiting what shortcuts can be used for what is no good. that's essentially why no other daw works for me. standard shortcuts should conform to general standards by default yes, but we should never limit what can be assigned to what. let's not go the "adobe logic" route...

@ProfRhino
oh yea you could use midi-ox to do that too, but it's considerably more complicated. however i came across this recently which should solve your problem, though it looks a bit tricky as well. need to write some simple OSC scripts i think: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...+midi+feedback
Old 08-30-2014, 02:12 PM   #43
ProfRhino

this is not a life or death issue for me, I just attempt to reduce the danger of possible conflicts, I can still do that with free configurability, I guess.
cheers,
Rhino
ProfRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:18 PM   #44
ProfRhino

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooFox;1@ProfRhino
oh yea you could use midi-ox to do that too, but it's considerably more complicated. however i came across this recently which should solve your problem, though it looks a bit tricky as well. need to write some simple OSC scripts i think: [URL
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=97255&highlight=bcr2000+midi+feed back[/URL]
thanks, exactly the issue I'm talking about.
Unfortunately that method is a bit over my head, I'm hoping for a built-in checkbox "parameter feedback on" or "duplex" like in Cubase or in S-1 in the future
Rhino
Old 09-11-2014, 02:55 PM   #45
ProfRhino

moved from the other thread :

The deeper I get with Reaper, the more scenarios I find where this would be the perfect problem solver - this is on top of my wishlist, too.
Great suggestion, without alternative !
Partially related - this school of thinking (basic, functional initial setup, with the option of deep customization for those with special needs) would benefit Reaper in other areas too, imho.
ymmv,
Rhino
Old 09-16-2014, 12:55 AM   #46
ivansc

Interesting thread and of course it is ALL down to how people like to work.
Personally, I dislike the actions menu and all it involves.
Usually by the time I have faffed around finding the right action for what i want to achieve it is quicker just to do it the quick and dirty way.
And there is a good reason why this fr will never affect me much.
I seldom if ever do the same actions over and over.
Even when editing I tend to be doing a multitude of completely different tasks every time.
So I guess you could say my workflow ignores shortcuts pretty much altogether.

Never saw the point in memorising a bunch of keystrokes for something I would use so seldom that by the time I needed it, I would probably have forgotten the keystrokes I learned in the first place!

And THAT is the likely reason for umpteen thousand views and very few votes for the FR.

Take heart though, you are not alone.
Things that seem crucial to me (a hybrid stave editor!) often cut no ice at all with the bulk of the Reaper community.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:11 AM   #47
ProfRhino

ivansc,
to each his own, but I bet you'd be pretty annoyed if your mouse stopped controlling the main program as soon as a floating window is open, and you were forced to use keycommands (varying according to context) to restore rodentability ...
not a 100% analogy, but close enough
ymmv,
Rhino
Old 09-16-2014, 07:24 AM   #48
V'ger

Hehe, touché
V'ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:35 AM   #49
ProfRhino

The acid test for a really good DAW is how well it adapts to different workflow concepts imho.
ivansc's abuse of little squeaky animals is just as legit as my hopeless addiction to little plastic buttons, they are all tools.
And make no mistake, there are more plastic addicts in the asylum I come from.
Reaper is incredibly adaptable, but here it still has room for improvement.
imho, ymmv,
Rhino
Old 09-16-2014, 09:25 AM   #50
ivan.lt

Certainly, Reaper's interface is far from being called well thought out. But I like the devs' attitude to give users tools (Walter, actions, shortcuts, preferences). The bad news is these tools are far from perfect, too!
ivan.lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:40 PM   #51
foxAsteria

yea regardless if people are using shortcuts, the community bears the brunt of the polish work. so even if you dont give a shit about custom actions and walter, the few of us that do need the tools in good working order so we can sort this crap out for everyone else.

but no macros in your workflow?

i cant even imagine. i have hundreds and despite the many hours invested, they've taken me from a month or more to write a song to a few nights...

shaving microseconds here and there adds up quite a lot and there's no sub for being able to capture inspiration when it happens. songwriting in every other daw was a serious of frustrations and roadblocks.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:26 AM   #52
ivan.lt

Open MIDI editor. In a controller lane, select a controller for this lane in the drop-down list ("Velocity, Off velocity, Pitch, ..."). (Focus stays there.) Try to save your project with Ctrl-S -- doesn't happen, the list handles this keypress (selecting "Sysex").

I'm posting this, I guess, just to reiterate the idea that shortcuts and window focus need reworking.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:10 PM   #53
foxAsteria

Yea, we got the option for pass thru of keyboard shortcuts on the fx window recently, but I now can't really give up the arrow keys for going through presets, so it's not that useful for me.

Don't understand why we can't just have custom shortcuts for the fx chain window...
Old 06-08-2018, 04:59 AM   #54
ivan.lt

Still relevant for me.
Old 09-08-2018, 04:40 AM   #55
ivan.lt

I'm quite used to pressing buttons on screen with Space, it works everywhere in Windows. Doesn't work in Reaper unless you remove the Start/stop binding. So what I ask for is more logic and more options with respect to keyboard focus. Please let windows handle their input UNLESS the shortcuts are assigned as global. Or let's invent an even better system of handling shortcuts.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:34 PM   #56
Nightowl4272

Bump,

There has to be a way for Reaper to tell the difference between Transport input and text entry or FX input. But I'll be damned if I know what it is...

In Sonar the problem was the other way around, the hotkey for Record (R) always recorded no matter what was in focus. BUT, if I were typing a note in Melda's Mnotepad it would result in a mess...Sonar would start recording whenever I hit (R) and/or start playing whenever I hit the spacebar. This would also result in no spaces being entered in my note...can't remember if "r"s would be entered.

ctrl+s will never = "save fx chain" in my mind.
Record/stop needs to have a reliable hotkey option that works 100% of the time.
Nightowl4272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 07:50 PM   #57
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightowl4272 View Post
There has to be a way for Reaper to tell the difference between Transport input and text entry or FX input. But I'll be damned if I know what it is...
MIDI controls are always more reliable. Global hotkeys are already in the dev releases if you need it now.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:08 PM   #58
theFRXST

1+ Reaper needs more focus options. Glue for items and glue for automation items; you should be able to setup the same key command.. but you can't.
Old 12-29-2018, 04:26 PM   #59
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by theFRXST View Post
1+ Reaper needs more focus options. Glue for items and glue for automation items; you should be able to setup the same key command.. but you can't.
Sure you can. Just add both into a single custom action. Just tried it.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:53 AM   #60
ivan.lt

I think Reaper's interface does not handle focus and keyboard shortcuts the way it should (which probably means the way I expect it to do). Case in point: I'm browsing through presets, as I often do, with Up/Down keys. The preset list must be focused for this:

The arrow to the right of a drop-down list is usually invoked with Alt-Down. (If you are a keyboard user on Windows, Win-R followed by Alt-Down might be pretty familiar.) In this case, however, Alt-Down acts upon the track in the arranger window changing its height (it's bound to View: Increase selected track heights). In my opinion, for this to happen the arranger window must have focus, not the track fx window.

Anyone feel the same?
Old 02-01-2019, 11:12 AM   #61
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.lt View Post
Anyone feel the same?
Sure. Partly why I made this FR. If FX Chain is going to steal focus from normal shortcuts, then its shortcuts should at least be definable and consisten. The issue I run into more is trying to run single letter shortcuts while an fx window is focused. Instead of whatever I expect, I end up choosing.

But if you float your individual fx instead of the whole chain, you get immediate focus on the preset list.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:16 AM   #62
foxAsteria

Oh happy day!

Thank you Cockos!

Old 06-18-2019, 11:50 AM   #63
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Oh, it's in? Great

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:32 AM   #64
Bambony

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post

Oh happy day!

Thank you Cockos!

Hi

Where is the setting for this? I require this functionality in exactly the way you describe

Thanks
Tony
Bambony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:25 AM   #65
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambony View Post
Where is the setting for this?
Choose your action, click Add to add a shortcut and choose Global or Global + text in Scope field.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:22 PM   #66
Bambony

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Choose your action, click Add to add a shortcut and choose Global or Global + text in Scope field.
Many thanks for your reply.

I'll check it out tomorrow.

Tony
Bambony is offline   Reply With Quote