Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 10-14-2018, 04:50 AM   #81
Jack Winter
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoman View Post
Wait ... are you saying you can use your Waves plugins in Linux?
Yes and no. This is embarrassing but I suppose having said X, I'll have to admit to Y..

I can't for the life of me get Waves Central running in wine. I've tried many different wine versions, including the wine-staging 2.21 mentioned in the LinVst readme file, I've installed the needed overrides and robocopy. I've tried both on the intel as well as on the nvidia gpu, etc. This is quite annoying as there are reports of people running it without problems :S It gets as far as creating the main windows and then nothing more.

What I did manage to install and run without any apparent problems was a warez version of Waves... <red face>

In fact this seems to be the pattern of several of the bigger plugin suits, the plugins work just fine, but the installation program creates problems.

Native Access also is causing problems. It gets as far as downloading an .iso or zip file and then it crashes, but you can install the plugins by manually mounting and installing the downloaded file. Though so far my NI stuff comes from Komplete8 and was installed from DVD.

IK multimedia, fabfilter, etc on the other hand both install and registers the plugins without any problems at all.

Like I mentioned I did get the melodyne plugin installed when I was on vacation a month or two ago. Just did some quick tests and it appeared to work fine, but I haven't used it yet in a bigger project. I do use wine-rt functionality which is a patch for wine I created ages ago, but the functionality is in wine-staging too, maybe this helps as it allows windows programs to set a high priority on a thread.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:58 AM   #82
Jack Winter

Maybe we should try to restrain ourselves a little bit regarding wine discussions in this thread as it is about native plugins?

From me a few final words on the subject though. A lot of windows plugins work and they work quite well, that said not at a level that is needed for professional work, if this is your case my recommendation is to either use the relatively few native plugins, or run OSX/Windows. Still my/our/the hope is that the linux plugin market will take off and a lot of plugins will be ported, or that we can create technical solutions that allow running windows plugins efficiently without any hassles.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)

Last edited by Jack Winter; 10-14-2018 at 05:06 AM.
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:39 AM   #83
JamesPeters

Agreed! Back on the subject of native Linux plugins...

MrElwood's MotherComp JS plugin is great! I'd mentioned DynEQ previously on the thread but MotherComp is new.

JS plugins are filling a gap for native Linux plugins, at least with Reaper.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:37 AM   #84
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Agreed! Back on the subject of native Linux plugins...

MrElwood's MotherComp JS plugin is great! I'd mentioned DynEQ previously on the thread but MotherComp is new.

JS plugins are filling a gap for native Linux plugins, at least with Reaper.
I've only messed around with it for a few minutes, but I thought "Sky" from the same mrelwood JS plugins was pretty cool. That one does eat some clock cycles though I noticed.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 01:01 PM   #85
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I've only messed around with it for a few minutes, but I thought "Sky" from the same mrelwood JS plugins was pretty cool. That one does eat some clock cycles though I noticed.
Sky and MotherComp both do use more CPU than a lot of "leaner-CPU-usage" plugins. I'd say it's appropriate though if you compare CPU usage of MotherComp to other "character" compressors. It's worth the CPU overhead, and in context it's not an unreasonable amount.

As for Sky, I haven't tried it much yet. The amount of CPU it takes is no problem for me (even if it were double the current amount), since it's only going to be used in a single instance on the master.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:25 PM   #86
Glennbo

Quote:
Sky and MotherComp both do use more CPU than a lot of "leaner-CPU-usage" plugins. I'd say it's appropriate though if you compare CPU usage of MotherComp to other "character" compressors. It's worth the CPU overhead, and in context it's not an unreasonable amount.

As for Sky, I haven't tried it much yet. The amount of CPU it takes is no problem for me (even if it were double the current amount), since it's only going to be used in a single instance on the master.
Well, those plugins are intended for final mastering, but in making some rapid changes to the controls, it was using so much CPU that the audio started glitching, but settled down after I quit tweaking.

That said, when I started making the Sun rise in that plugin, a really nice edge started happening that was not like just adding high frequency EQ. I don't know what the algorithm is that's being used, but it caught my ear right away.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:54 PM   #87
JamesPeters

Quote:
Well, those plugins are intended for final mastering, but in making some rapid changes to the controls, it was using so much CPU that the audio started glitching, but settled down after I quit tweaking.
Since Sky is a limiter, it's something I'd only use on the master. MotherComp however is different; it's a compressor.

Some plugins' parameters can make glitching and it's not necessarily due to the CPU usage. It depends on the code, what a knob or slider is really doing.

Quote:
That said, when I started making the Sun rise in that plugin, a really nice edge started happening that was not like just adding high frequency EQ. I don't know what the algorithm is that's being used, but it caught my ear right away.
Code:
// Includes code from Tilt EQ by Liteon

I'm sure it's not just the Tilt EQ copied/pasted in there, but tilt EQ is quite useful so you might be appreciating its effect irrespective of anything else the plugin is doing. In that case, just use the Tilt EQ in Reaper on those tracks and save Sky for the master.

Plugins like tilt EQ, presence EQ, graphic EQ etc. can be some of the most useful plugins despite how overlooked they are. It's good to have a toolbox with a lot of different and seemingly simple tools.

Speaking of adding pleasing high end (and having a toolbox of useful plugins), you'd probably like Righteous4 by Airwindows. You have to learn how to use it first though (and the default settings are the worst possible ones).
Old 10-14-2018, 03:51 PM   #88
Glennbo

Quote:
Since Sky is a limiter, it's something I'd only use on the master. MotherComp however is different; it's a compressor.

Some plugins' parameters can make glitching and it's not necessarily due to the CPU usage. It depends on the code, what a knob or slider is really doing.

Code:
// Includes code from Tilt EQ by Liteon

I'm sure it's not just the Tilt EQ copied/pasted in there, but tilt EQ is quite useful so you might be appreciating its effect irrespective of anything else the plugin is doing. In that case, just use the Tilt EQ in Reaper on those tracks and save Sky for the master.

Plugins like tilt EQ, presence EQ, graphic EQ etc. can be some of the most useful plugins despite how overlooked they are. It's good to have a toolbox with a lot of different and seemingly simple tools.

Speaking of adding pleasing high end (and having a toolbox of useful plugins), you'd probably like Righteous4 by Airwindows. You have to learn how to use it first though (and the default settings are the worst possible ones).
I've got the Liteon JS plugins, but hadn't tried Tilt EQ yet. Definitely will though. I'm getting quite a collection of JS plugs that I don't seem to be finding time to try out. I guess that's a good thing though. It'll keep me busy now that colder weather is coming.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:53 AM   #89
Win Conway

So does all this Steinberg acting like whiney little bitches over the VST2 SDK stuff mean that there will be no new native Linux VST ?
Old 10-17-2018, 11:48 AM   #90
4duhwinnn

I have 5 U-he vst3i and vst3 plugins in linux reaper at this time,
so I doubt moving away from vst2 means a hindrance to
the creation of more native linux plugins. Coders can
choose what they make, and what they use to make it.
Are there some specific issues or products you're concered with?
Cheers

https://www.kvraudio.com/plugins/lin...undware/newest

http://cdm.link/2017/03/steinberg-br...x-good-things/

https://sdk.steinberg.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=282

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=209414

Last edited by 4duhwinnn; 10-17-2018 at 12:01 PM. Reason: mow
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 12:57 PM   #91
Win Conway

Nevermind, obviously mislead by people saying there is no native Linux VST3
Old 10-22-2018, 12:47 PM   #92
Michael Willis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbe View Post
Oh, this one I stumble on the other day:
https://github.com/michaelwillis/dragonfly-reverb
Hey everybody, I'm jumping in way too late, but I noticed that my project was getting some traffic from this forum. In case anybody is interested, Dragonfly Reverb has had a recent overhaul. This includes a few new dials (width, spin, and wander), better preset selector, and generally a lot of polish. Any feedback is welcome:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mi...screenshot.png
https://github.com/michaelwillis/dra...ases/tag/0.9.4
Michael Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 01:04 PM   #93
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Willis View Post
Hey everybody, I'm jumping in way too late, but I noticed that my project was getting some traffic from this forum. In case anybody is interested, Dragonfly Reverb has had a recent overhaul. This includes a few new dials (width, spin, and wander), better preset selector, and generally a lot of polish. Any feedback is welcome:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mi...screenshot.png
https://github.com/michaelwillis/dra...ases/tag/0.9.4
That sounds pretty decent just switching between the different sized rooms and hall without even getting into changing any other parameters yet. Thanks for posting this.

Last edited by Glennbo; 10-23-2018 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:26 PM   #94
JamesPeters

Thank you, Michael! This is an excellent reverb plugin and I'll be using it often.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:04 PM   #95
Michael Willis

Quote:
This is an excellent reverb plugin
Quote:
That sounds great ... without even getting into changing any other parameters yet. Thanks for posting this.
It's great fun to hear that people are liking this. I can't take credit for the sound, it's just using Freeverb3. This project started out as an effort to get Hibiki Reverb working on Linux, but then things got out of hand and it kind of took on a life of its own.

I would really like feedback on how appropriate the settings are on the presets. I mostly just adapted the ones from Hibiki, but then I made a few up. In particular, I'm wondering if the "Acoustic Studio", "Electric Studio", and/or "Piano Studio" are a good match for their names.

Of course I would love to hear any music that people make using Dragonfly; I'm open to a lot of styles, from orchestral to folk to jazz to modern rock... except for super heavy angry stuff.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:22 PM   #96
JamesPeters

I've tried all the plugins in the Freeverb3 package (the latest version) as Windows VST before I migrated to Linux. You somehow made the Hibiki sound good to me. Maybe I wasn't patient enough with it, or you just made an interface that made it a lot easier for me to find sounds I like.

I thought the ProG was great though at the time. Again, the interface...ugh. Once I figured out what it was meant to do (it has overlap, and some of the functions require reading to realize what they are), I got some really good sounds from it.

If you're looking to tackle another reverb plugin, maybe a version of the ProG...?

So far I've just tested some of your room sounds for adding ambience to drum channels, plus a large hall sound for a "really long reverb" kind of sound (with a bunch of editing). It's not the densest reverb sound but it's still good for that kind of thing. The controls are pretty intuitive; it didn't take me long to get what I wanted from the plugin. I can't help you too much with info about those specific presets you mentioned, because I'm on the other end of the spectrum...the end that you hate. I certainly don't have a piano here. Although it's possible at some point I'll add synth piano to something I do.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:06 PM   #97
JamesPeters

Dragonfly won't save any parameters settings in a preset, other than the room type. This also happens if I try to save what I've made as an FXP file, then load it.

Also: none of the settings will store in a Reaper FX chain. (I figured I should mention this because sometimes if a plugin has problems recalling a change in parameters from a preset, it will actually work if it were saved as part of an FX chain in Reaper.)
Old 10-23-2018, 07:24 AM   #98
Michael Willis

Quote:
If you're looking to tackle another reverb plugin, maybe a version of the ProG...?
Ha! I've been thinking that I should do something with ProG. In my opinion it has a much better "small room" algorithm, while Hibiki is a better "hall" algorithm. At one point I thought about putting both algorithms in Dragonfly, using some kind of selector like "Reverb Type" with "Room" and "Hall" as options, but the parameters to ProG are very different, so that might be kind of weird. If I make it a separate plugin, my big hangup is coming up with a good name... Dragonfly was easy because... uh... I like dragonflies.

Quote:
I'm on the other end of the spectrum...the end that you hate.
Well, "hate" is a strong word. I've just noticed that I'm highly influenced by emotions from music, so for my own emotional stability it is best to avoid music with a lot of anger.

Quote:
Dragonfly won't save any parameters settings in a preset, other than the room type.
Confirmed, this is indeed a bug. I've been using Ardour while developing this plugin, and I didn't experience this problem there. I just barely tried it in the demo version of Reaper and I think I know what the problem is. I think probably when Reaper loads the plugin, within a few milliseconds it (1) tells the plugin how to set all of the dials, and then (2) tells the plugin which preset is selected. My plugin responds to (2) by setting all of the dials to the preset defaults.

Anyway, maybe that was more than you cared to know, but I'll try to carve out some time to fix it some time this week. I'm trying to resolve all of these kinds of issues and get a release that I feel good about calling "version 1.0.0".
Old 10-23-2018, 07:31 AM   #99
Glennbo

Quote:
my big hangup is coming up with a good name... Dragonfly was easy because... uh... I like dragonflies.
Call it "Anisoptera"!
Old 10-23-2018, 08:26 AM   #100
Michael Willis

Quote:
Call it "Anisoptera"!
Haha... yeah, I was thinking of staying with that kind of theme, although my ideas were "Odonata" or "Damselfly" ... I kind of like Damselfly, it would sort of indicates that it's Dragonfly's more slender cousin, but then I wasn't sure that I wanted to constrain the naming convention that much.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:16 PM   #101
JamesPeters

Quote:
Anyway, maybe that was more than you cared to know,
Actually I find it very interesting, thanks for elaborating!

I take no offense at anyone's musical tastes. Mine are varied enough. When I play a guitar or bass however I seem to fall back to a comfort zone of "the heavies" (thrash mostly).

I hate naming things too. Every name has already been used for something else, and naming conventions (trying to stay consistent within a theme) are so easy to break when you add "one too many" products to a line for the naming convention you'd decided on. There are always more names within a convention you can use, but some you just want to avoid because they just don't sound right or have negative connotations.

Dragonflies are alright by me! They gobble up mosquitos and they do it with approximately 95% success (based on how many attempts it takes to catch and kill their prey). Efficient mosquito killers are my friends.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:40 PM   #102
SmajjL

Quote:
Efficient mosquito killers are my friends.
You should have seen me this summer with an electric "tennis racket" and a slapper thing, you would have been proud of me.
Even a SmajjL can be provoked enough.

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:23 AM   #103
s wave

Default When you don't have Plugin that you want....

Lets re-look at a great quote

"The Enemy of Art is the absence of Limitations" - Orson Welles

To me this is a deep deep quote. Some analogies: would a 'rich' artist paint with peanut butter and dirt? Probably not! but a poor artist probably would... SO the Rich artist will never know the incredible things that poor artist found while painting with peanut butter and dirt. GOOD LESSON IMO. If you don't have a Melodyne or Audition or Spectral Wave editor NO Problem. Use your creativity. What if run this sound through this free synth, through a speaker (yea its a beat up free speaker (so why not rip the cone with a knife and etc.) and some how try to figure out how to manage a pitch problem that no one has ever come up with? I would rather hear that than something off of autotune. Is a guitar note off pitch? Tune the guitar. try again. You can't get a vocal clip into the right pitch or tone? Figure out WHY it does not sound right. Run it through 'SONIC VISUALZER' yes its free and works great. and put it in pitch through Reaper or Audacity or other way.

Einstein said YOU CAN FIND ANY ANSWER by a correctly constructed question. And he went on to say it is so simple. When the question is then correctly analyzed you will find the answer in the question you constructed. Almost too easy huh? IMO the key is 'CORRECTLY CONSTRUCTED QUESTION' that is where the work is... What is the purpose in the first place? Is it poor me ... if I only had Melodyne and $1000 pc then I could make money or be a star. OR is it to come up with music that all modern programs CAN NOT DO. No amount money can buy it. Its your experience your knowledge.

A Neumann mic can not do what a $3 sony mic can do? It never will. (It can't even come close) I have seen people go right by the sweet spot on a guitar. I have seen people go right by a perfect mic for recording an artist. All that was needed was that the mic should have been 7" from vocalist not 6". And it should of had a 6 db bump at 5k hz and a high pass filter set at 252 hertz.
They probably will never see it. They say this mic sucx and toss it.

A car might run bad with the timing just 1 or 2 degrees off. In fact by not having a timing gun or the like. You can find out the place where your car will run better than at factory specs. It is a fine small 'sweet spot'.

Music is similar. Put a speaker and mic in a tile box and you analog REVERB. That is cool. (Adjustable too!)

I recently tried to get some quasi low-fi recording on a vocal. I was trying to sample a small vocal clip at small bit rate. I found an open source program... after a simple 10 sec mod and poof had it!! 1.1 and 1.3 bits sounded wrong. Only at the rate of 1.2 bit it sounded good. Took a while and I went by it many many times but when I heard the correct rate I knew I found what I was looking for.

At one point I was interested at how the JS OZZIFIER plug in worked. I heard something special in that plugin. For my vocal it was a bit over the top (over ozzified) and a tad off on the harmonics I wanted. I just recorded the voice with JS OZZIFIER. Then put it on a spectral analyzer (SONIC VISUALIZER) and got to see what the Plugin was doing to the voice. BINGO it was EQing (adding decibels) to certain harmonic or melodic bands of the frequency... increasing overtone harmonizing so-to-speak. I did not have Melodyne or AutoTune. SO... I manually played around with an EQ I liked, notched it and made my own sound. I am so glad I did not have Adobe Audition or program like that. What I learned from that experience was indispensable to me!

In fact I just had too use a minimal band or 2 db increase and a band or 2 decrease; much less than what the ozzifier plugin used. Great posts above. keep on inspiring... s wave
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:00 PM   #104
Michael Willis

Quote:
Actually I find it very interesting, thanks for elaborating!
Well, it turns out I was wrong. I asked the developer who maintains the plugin framework I'm using. He told me that I needed to use a new version of his framework. The old one made VSTs that didn't properly handle saved parameters.

Could one or two of you spot check my new release on Reaper?

https://github.com/michaelwillis/dra...ases/tag/0.9.5
Old 10-25-2018, 09:39 PM   #105
JamesPeters

Excellent! It's saving and recalling presets properly now. Thanks!
Old 10-26-2018, 09:43 AM   #106
Stringer

Default what folder?

This is a dumb question, but where is the folder that Reaper uses in Linux for VSTs? In other words, where should I extract Dragonfly to?

Thanks.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:49 AM   #107
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
This is a dumb question, but where is the folder that Reaper uses in Linux for VSTs? In other words, where should I extract Dragonfly to?

Thanks.
Normal place would be

/home/YOUR_USER_NAME/.vst
Old 10-26-2018, 01:04 PM   #108
Michael Willis

Quote:
Excellent! It's saving and recalling presets properly now. Thanks!
Nice! Thanks for testing it.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:11 PM   #109
Glennbo

Quote:
Nice! Thanks for testing it.
I did a quick test and it works here too.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:00 PM   #110
Stringer

Quote:
Normal place would be

/home/YOUR_USER_NAME/.vst
Well, Reaper's path turned out to be this:
/home/ogden/Documents/Reaper/reaper_linux_x86_64/REAPER/Plugins/FX

I tried putting the Dragonfly vst there and rescanning but Reaper can't see it. So I tried creating /home/ogden/.vst and putting it there, which does seem to be where Reaper expects it because the path is already in preferences, but even after a couple of rescans, Reaper can't see it. I'm puzzled, which often happens in Linux. Linux Mint MATE, by the way.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:24 PM   #111
JamesPeters

That's Reaper's directory for its own included plugins (ReaSuite). Don't put any plugins in there.

Go to your options, preferences, plugins, VST and look at the VST paths. There's one by default specified. You can either use that, or add another path. I chose to add a path which isn't a hidden ".whatever" directory, and I put it in my documents folder. Avoid system folders, in any case. You don't want to be messing with permissions.

You'll need to know how to do this for some plugins like DrumGizmo VST (for instance) since it will intall (from KXStudio repo) into a different folder (in my case it was usr/lib/vst). So for that plugin, I added that path to my VST paths in preferences (rather than moving the plugin, because if it updates I'd like to leave it where it was installed).
Old 10-26-2018, 05:12 PM   #112
Stringer

Yes, the folder I created, .vst, is in the path that Reaper has already set in preferences. It should work. But it doesn't.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:44 PM   #113
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
Yes, the folder I created, .vst, is in the path that Reaper has already set in preferences. It should work. But it doesn't.
Dumb question but, you did unpack the file you downloaded so it created the folder "DragonflyReverb" with the files "DragonflyReverb" and "DragonflyReverb-vst.so", plus a folder named "DragonflyReverb.lv2" inside it?

If yes, try doing a clear cache and rescan in REAPER.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:55 PM   #114
JamesPeters

Yeah I hadn't noticed the second part of your post for some reason, about your creating a new path...oops.

Since you created that ".vst" folder, maybe remove the "." and then change that in the path info in preferences as well. The "." means it's hidden. I've noticed Reaper doesn't seem to be able to find hidden folders in Media Explorer etc., so maybe that's why.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:07 PM   #115
Stringer

Yes, I did unpack it. I tried it first in a folder that was not hidden, and put the path to it in preferences, but that did not work either. I am at a loss.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:29 PM   #116
JamesPeters

When I put the "DragonflyReverb-vst.so" file in my vst folder, that's all I put in there. I left the other files in the archive (then deleted the archive). Perhaps having all those files in the vst folder has something to do with it (if you extracted all of them to your vst folder).
Old 10-26-2018, 07:40 PM   #117
Stringer

Ok, I deleted the other files. Still no go.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:44 PM   #118
JamesPeters

Try another clear cache/re-scan if you haven't.

Also you can edit your reaper-vstplugins64.ini file which has the plugin info, and remove references to Dragonfly in the file.

Another thought: perhaps the download was corrupt. Whenever that's happened to me it's caught me by surprise. Try downloading again.

Beyond that I'm at a loss.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:26 PM   #119
Michael Willis

Stringer, just to be clear, you need to put the DragonflyReverb-vst.so file directly inside of the folder where Reaper is looking for plugins, it will not work if you keep the DragonflyReverb folder as it comes out of the tgz archive. Please try copying DragonflyReverb-vst.so such that it exists in both of these locations:

/home/ogden/Documents/Reaper/reaper_linux_x86_64/REAPER/Plugins/FX/DragonflyReverb-vst.so
/home/ogden/.vst/DragonflyReverb-vst.so

(Not that it has to exist in both places, but hopefully reaper will find it in at least one of them)

As mentioned above, the LV2 isn't used by reaper, it is a different plug-in format used by other DAWs.

If that doesn't work, does Reaper have some way for you tell it to scan specific folders for plugins? I have had people successfully use dragonfly reverb in reaper on all three operating systems, but I don't know much about how to set it up.

Edit: after looking at your messages again, it seems like you already understood most or all of this.

Last edited by Michael Willis; 10-26-2018 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:29 PM   #120
Glennbo

Quote:
Stringer, just to be clear, you need to put the DragonflyReverb-vst.so file directly inside of the folder where Reaper is looking for it.

Does Reaper have some way for you tell it to scan specific folders for plugins? I have had people successfully use dragonfly reverb in reaper on all three operating systems, but I don't know much about how to set it up.
Here's a thought. Is it possible that he's using a 32 bit version of REAPER for Linux, and Dragonfly is 64 bit, so REAPER cannot see it?