Old 11-25-2018, 03:41 PM   #1
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Default Waves - Wine-Staging

So, what's the trick? I've seen posts where folks have said they were able to install Waves plugins, so I decided to grab the currently free H-Comp from here,

https://www.waves.com/lpn/cyber-monday-2018/free-plugin

but when I go to install it, Waves Central fires up fine, logs into my account fine, shows me H-Comp can be installed, but then clicking install results in "Sorry, an error occurred, blah blah blah".

I get this error whether going down the path of "Easy Install" or normal "Install" and also with "Offline Install" which I downloaded all 4.5GB of offline installer stuff. So again, what's the trick?
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:11 PM   #2
osxmidi

The main tricks are robocopy, some reg entries and a usb stick.

Whether some distros (and or their wine binaries) are better than others for Waves Central I don't know.

I've had Waves Central working with Debian 9 and Ubuntu 17.10.

---------

Wine has missing bits (that are in Windows) that Waves Central requires, robocopy and some reg entries and some overrides.

The way to test if robocopy is working is to add the mfc42u.dll and mfc42.dll 32 bit overrides in /windows/syswow64 and then run "wine robocopy" from a terminal and look at the terminal output to see if it ran ok.

The reg entries need to be added so that Waves Central knows about some paths.

wine regedit

Add the following environment string variables under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment (New String Value)

COMMONPROGRAMFILES(X86) C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files

PROGRAMFILES(X86) C:\Program Files (x86)

PUBLIC C:\users\Public

Put a usb stick in and run winecfg and have a look at the drives tab and see if the usb shows up as a windows drive letter.

Waves Central seems to need a usb stick before it will activate licences and the usb stick has to be working with Wine and maybe not all distros are the same when it comes to Wine and usb.

Make sure the usb stick is working with Wine and insert the usb stick before starting Waves Central.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 08:14 PM   #3
Glennbo

Hmmm, is this running in a 64 bit environment?

I had actually tried almost all those steps previously from a page I found online.

I've installed RoboCopy, which throws out this stuff when running it, so it looks like it's working.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
ROBOCOPY :: Robust File Copy for Windows :: Version XP010

Started : Sun Nov 25 20:55:06 2018

Simple Usage :: ROBOCOPY source destination /MIR

And I created the registry keys, but that's where I'm wondering about the 64 bit stuff, because I don't have a "Program Files (x86)" folder. Only a "Program Files" folder.

I had NOT had a USB stick in the drive, but putting one in is recognized by WINE and has a drive letter.

With the USB stick mounted, I still get the same error when attempting to install, whether trying the "Easy Install", "Online Install" or "Offline Install".

I'm using Xubuntu 18.04, and Synaptic shows Wine-Staging, Wine-Staging-AMD64, Wine-Staging-i386, and WineHQ-Staging all as being installed and at v3.20.0, which I just installed earlier today.

Also, I scanned my entire .wine folder and there was no syswow64 found, so I did NOT do the overrides, but again makes me wonder if 64 bit is the issue.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:08 AM   #4
Jack Winter

I've also failed miserably at getting this going. It's really annoying me, as I've had waves working in wine in the past (many years ago), and last vacation after failing with waves central I tried a warez copy which worked and consequently led to the most embarrassing online post I've ever had to make :S IIRC I even had waves central working a year or two ago, but could never get the waveshell working nor the unpacked plugins.

I get to the point that waves central is installed, but when I try to run it I get a window that appears with a progress indicator, and then nothing else happens.

I've tried following all of osxmidi's suggestions but still no cigar. Maybe it has to do with something else, like the version of linux system libs installed, the graphics drivers in use, etc.

syswow64 ought to be a subdirectory in $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/windows/ if you have a 64b wineprefix, it won't exist if you have a 32b wineprefix. The same goes for Program Files (x86), it ought to be in $WINEPREFIX/drive_c, and if you don't have one, then you have a 32b wineprefix and shouldn't try to install 64b programs into it.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 03:44 AM   #5
osxmidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Hmmm, is this running in a 64 bit environment?

I had actually tried almost all those steps previously from a page I found online.

I've installed RoboCopy, which throws out this stuff when running it, so it looks like it's working.

ROBOCOPY :: Robust File Copy for Windows :: Version XP010

Started : Sun Nov 25 20:55:06 2018

Simple Usage :: ROBOCOPY source destination /MIR

And I created the registry keys, but that's where I'm wondering about the 64 bit stuff, because I don't have a "Program Files (x86)" folder. Only a "Program Files" folder.

I had NOT had a USB stick in the drive, but putting one in is recognized by WINE and has a drive letter.

With the USB stick mounted, I still get the same error when attempting to install, whether trying the "Easy Install", "Online Install" or "Offline Install".

I'm using Xubuntu 18.04, and Synaptic shows Wine-Staging, Wine-Staging-AMD64, Wine-Staging-i386, and WineHQ-Staging all as being installed and at v3.20.0, which I just installed earlier today.

Also, I scanned my entire .wine folder and there was no syswow64 found, so I did NOT do the overrides, but again makes me wonder if 64 bit is the issue.
"because I don't have a "Program Files (x86)" folder. Only a "Program Files" folder."

From what I could make out, Waves Central seems to be a 32 bit Windows program but it manages 64 bit and 32 bit vst plugins.

Maybe you havn't got 32 bit Wine (and it's libraries) installed properly.

Usually it's enabled by

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

and then installing WineHQ's Wine for whatever distro.

I end up with "Program Files (x86)" and syswow64 directories when winecfg is first run.

Also, if the reg entries are not exact then Waves Central can throw an error and also if there is anything wrong with robocopy and it's setup (dll overrides).

Last edited by osxmidi; 11-26-2018 at 03:53 AM.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 03:51 AM   #6
Jack Winter

Yes, all the waves central that I've tried to install are 32b, and in my 64b prefix it installs into Program Files (x86), with a 32b prefix it would install into Program Files.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Old 11-26-2018, 06:13 AM   #7
Mcgiver69

Don't despair I tried in Windows 7 and received exactly the same message. So yes Waves Central officially stinks!!
Mcgiver69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:58 AM   #8
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post
"because I don't have a "Program Files (x86)" folder. Only a "Program Files" folder."

From what I could make out, Waves Central seems to be a 32 bit Windows program but it manages 64 bit and 32 bit vst plugins.

Maybe you havn't got 32 bit Wine (and it's libraries) installed properly.

Usually it's enabled by

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

and then installing WineHQ's Wine for whatever distro.

I end up with "Program Files (x86)" and syswow64 directories when winecfg is first run.

Also, if the reg entries are not exact then Waves Central can throw an error and also if there is anything wrong with robocopy and it's setup (dll overrides).
When I first setup Wine, I used Wine-Stable from the distro, and did do the --add-architecture i386. To confirm that I am pure 32 bit I downloaded the 64 bit version of REAPER for Windows and upon trying to install it, I get this.

The registry entries I copied the names and keys right off the screen, both from your post and from the web page I had found earlier, but since I don't have any 64 bit functionality, the folder names referenced are invalid.

As I was typing this I thought "what if I were to create those two folders", so I did and it still gives me the same error message.

Last edited by Glennbo; 01-05-2019 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:04 AM   #9
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
Yes, all the waves central that I've tried to install are 32b, and in my 64b prefix it installs into Program Files (x86), with a 32b prefix it would install into Program Files.
You had mentioned a while back that you can have multiple prefixes. Maybe I should try creating a virgin 64 bit prefix, but I sure don't want to hose what is currently setup in the existing prefix.

Any suggestions on how to do something like that? I did just clone my entire .wine folder to my second physical HD. It was almost 5GB since I have some sampled instruments like EZ-Drummer in there, but I have a backup of it now.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:28 AM   #10
Glennbo

Default Screw Waves!!!

Well, I tried a few more things including booting up into Windows and creating an offline installer for H-Comp. Then upon trying it in Linux I still got the same error at which point I threw in the towel, and removed ALL traces of anything to do with Waves from my Wine prefix.

Then I promptly proceeded to OverTone.com and bought their Vintage Plugins Bundle for $30, which got me a nice and NATIVE LINUX 64 BIT Fairchild compressor emulation, plus a couple of Pultec EQs.

I moved to Linux to get away from Windows, so this is ultimately a better solution because there are no bridges needed, and no Wine required, so the performance should be much better. I had been trying out the demos of all the plugins from OverTone, and really liked the FC70 and the Pultec EQ, so Waves with their offensive copy protection scheme, helped me decide to send my money to OverTone!

-
Old 11-26-2018, 11:03 AM   #11
Jack Winter

A wine prefix is a directory structure (defaults to ~/.wine), containing registry files and the programs you install. All programs running in a prefix also share the wineserver, so ought to be able to communicate with each other. Essentially a separate windows install.

To use a different wine prefix you have to set an environment variable, easiest done like this:

WINEPREFIX=~/waves winecfg
WINEPREFIX=~/waves winetricks dlls mfc42 vcrun2015

Afterwards when running you have to remember to specify the wine prefix, so something like this to start a program:

WINEPREFIX=~/myapp wine ~/myapp/drive_c/Program\ Files/myapp/myapp.exe

By default (on most systems) it ought to create a 64b prefix, but if in doubt try:

WINEARCH=win64 WINEPREFIX=~/waves winecfg

You can check the architecture of a wine prefix by looking at the beginning of one of the .reg files.

LinVst will automatically pick up what wineprefix it's been installed/running in, so it's a nice way to separate plugins into different "families", though possibly using several prefixes will increase context switches thus resulting in slightly higher rt cpu and possible xruns.

Still it's a nice way to make sure that installing something new doesn't break what you already have installed and working, and is also very helpful if there are conflicts between the windows runtime dll overrides programs need.

Personally I tend to always override the wine prefix and install applications into their own (shall we call it) bottle Like that I don't have conflicts between different apps/games, and can easily make a backup, delete something, reinstall it, etc.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:25 AM   #12
Glennbo

Quote:
A wine prefix is a directory structure (defaults to ~/.wine), containing registry files and the programs you install. All programs running in a prefix also share the wineserver, so ought to be able to communicate with each other. Essentially a separate windows install.

To use a different wine prefix you have to set an environment variable, easiest done like this:

WINEPREFIX=~/waves winecfg
WINEPREFIX=~/waves winetricks dlls mfc42 vcrun2015

Afterwards when running you have to remember to specify the wine prefix, so something like this to start a program:

WINEPREFIX=~/myapp wine ~/myapp/drive_c/Program\ Files/myapp/myapp.exe

By default (on most systems) it ought to create a 64b prefix, but if in doubt try:

WINEARCH=win64 WINEPREFIX=~/waves winecfg

You can check the architecture of a wine prefix by looking at the beginning of one of the .reg files.

LinVst will automatically pick up what wineprefix it's been installed/running in, so it's a nice way to separate plugins into different "families", though possibly using several prefixes will increase context switches thus resulting in slightly higher rt cpu and possible xruns.

Still it's a nice way to make sure that installing something new doesn't break what you already have installed and working, and is also very helpful if there are conflicts between the windows runtime dll overrides programs need.

Personally I tend to always override the wine prefix and install applications into their own (shall we call it) bottle Like that I don't have conflicts between different apps/games, and can easily make a backup, delete something, reinstall it, etc.
Sounds like your method of keeping things isolated from each other is a good way to go! I had problems right off the bat making an override for a Windows newsreader that caused other things to not function properly, and it took a good minute to pinpoint that it was that change that messed everything else up.

Thanks for the detailed info! I archived your post to a folder of Linux info that I'm keeping for reference.

I've decided to blow off ever trying to get Waves plugins to run in Linux for several reasons. One was the frustration level of their copy protection, but for two I would have to run their plugins in Wine, and then bridge them with LinVST, which can't be as efficient as a native 64 bit Linux plugin. Thirdly, I moved to Linux to get away from all the nastiness of Windows, and running stuff in Wine just delays that total separation, so I spent $30 and bought OverTone's Vintage Plugin Bundle, which I am really liking.

I have been messing around with the demos for a week now, and Waves got me to send my money elsewhere. This is really a good thing, because I was trying to get this free plugin to work, with the intention of bringing the one and only Waves plugin I've bought over to Linux if the free plugin had worked. That would have also paved the way for me to buy other Waves plugins if I had any confidence that I could make them work in Linux.

Since it failed on so many different approaches, it got me thinking real clearly about my desire to get free of Windows. From now on I plan to use more and more native Linux plugins and hopefully phase ALL Windows plugins out. I have fewer and fewer Windows apps running in Wine as I find native replacements for them, and now I have decided to do the same with VST plugins, but with a vengeance!
Old 11-26-2018, 12:54 PM   #13
Jack Winter

Quote:
Sounds like your method of keeping things isolated from each other is a good way to go! I had problems right off the bat making an override for a Windows newsreader that caused other things to not function properly, and it took a good minute to pinpoint that it was that change that messed everything else up.
That's a perfect reason to use a wine prefix. Install your screen reader into a new wine prefix, and then create a small shell script to start it. I've added ~/bin for my scripts and "export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin" to "~/.bashrc".

Something like this to start the app:

$ cat ~/bin/rpw
Code:
#!/bin/sh
export WINEDEBUG=-all
export WINEPREFIX=~/reaper-windows
wine ~/reaper-windows/drive_c/Program\ Files/REAPER\ \(x64\)/reaper.exe
Don't forget to make it executable with "chmod 755 ~/bin/rpw".

Quote:
I've decided to blow off ever trying to get Waves plugins to run in Linux for several reasons. One was the frustration level of their copy protection, but for two I would have to run their plugins in Wine, and then bridge them with LinVST, which can't be as efficient as a native 64 bit Linux plugin. Thirdly, I moved to Linux to get away from all the nastiness of Windows, and running stuff in Wine just delays that total separation, so I spent $30 and bought OverTone's Vintage Plugin Bundle, which I am really liking.

Since it failed on so many different approaches, it got me thinking real clearly about my desire to get free of Windows. From now on I plan to use more and more native Linux plugins and hopefully phase ALL Windows plugins out. I have fewer and fewer Windows apps running in Wine as I find native replacements for them, and now I have decided to do the same with VST plugins, but with a vengeance!
Probably a good decision u-he's plugins though in eternal beta are also very useful.

Waves seems an exercise in futility at times, in the past I've resorted to complete windows reinstalls just to get it working again. Reading posts I see that nothing much seems to have happened in that respect

Still I have it installed in windows on my laptop, and I really like maxxbass, and vocal rider, many of the other plugins are also easy to use tools that yield the desired effect quickly.

But I can live without it... I just enjoy the hacking and the outrageous idea of running windows plugins in reaper for linux! After all we are talking about running plugins from another OS inside of an application..!

At the moment running linux plugins is a lot more efficient and less likely to xrun. I tend to enjoy windows plugs for mixing at large latency and don't really even try to run a full mix of them at low latency to overdub through fx..
Old 11-26-2018, 02:13 PM   #14
Glennbo

Quote:
That's a perfect reason to use a wine prefix. Install your screen reader into a new wine prefix, and then create a small shell script to start it. I've added ~/bin for my scripts and "export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin" to "~/.bashrc".

Something like this to start the app:

$ cat ~/bin/rpw
Code:
#!/bin/sh
export WINEDEBUG=-all
export WINEPREFIX=~/reaper-windows
wine ~/reaper-windows/drive_c/Program\ Files/REAPER\ \(x64\)/reaper.exe
Don't forget to make it executable with "chmod 755 ~/bin/rpw".
More excellent information to add to my growing stash of Linux information! Thanks again for taking time to post examples like this.

Quote:
Probably a good decision u-he's plugins though in eternal beta are also very useful.
I grabbed their "ProtoVerb", but haven't found a use for it yet, since it seems to be geared as a guitar pedal verb, and I use real guitar hardware for all my guitar tracks. I am somewhat interested though in their "Uhbik" plugins, but I wish they sold them separately. There are only 2 or 3 in that bundle that I think I might actually use, and if I could buy them for $10-$20 a pop would likely get them, but $149 for the whole suite is too pricey for me when I would only use 2 or 3 of them.

Quote:
Waves seems an exercise in futility at times, in the past I've resorted to complete windows reinstalls just to get it working again. Reading posts I see that nothing much seems to have happened in that respect

Still I have it installed in windows on my laptop, and I really like maxxbass, and vocal rider, many of the other plugins are also easy to use tools that yield the desired effect quickly.
I bought the Waves DBX160 and really really like it, but not enough for it to permanently tether me to Windows. The very reason I was trying to get the free Waves H-Comp to install in Linux. Had I gotten that to work, I was planning to transfer the license for the DBX160 to Linux/Wine, but since it didn't work, I just bought a different vintage compressor that's a native 64 bit Linux plugin that uses a simple unlock code for copy protection.

Quote:
But I can live without it... I just enjoy the hacking and the outrageous idea of running windows plugins in reaper for linux! After all we are talking about running plugins from another OS inside of an application..!
I also enjoy the hacking aspect of making stuff work that shouldn't, but after enough hours I shift gears and go total native. I have my entire Amiga 2000 HD from 1995 bootable and usable in the Amiga emulator for Linux FS-UAE". I had to convert a box of 60 some floppy disks into virtual disk images, then perform a restore from the backup that was on those virtual floppy disks.

Quote:
At the moment running linux plugins is a lot more efficient and less likely to xrun. I tend to enjoy windows plugs for mixing at large latency and don't really even try to run a full mix of them at low latency to overdub through fx..
The only plugins I plan to move from Windows to Linux at this point are the full version of Kontakt and Toontrack's EZ-Keys Essential Pianos, but I will have to retire their licenses in Windows before I can legitimately activate them in Linux.
Old 11-26-2018, 02:31 PM   #15
Jack Winter

IMO, u-he plugs worth investigating are presswerk, satin, the uhbiks and colour copy. The others are nice too, but quite exotic.
Old 11-26-2018, 02:36 PM   #16
Jack Winter

Have you tried https://www.pianoteq.com/, IMO better than any sampled piano.
Old 11-26-2018, 02:41 PM   #17
Glennbo

Quote:
IMO, u-he plugs worth investigating are presswerk, satin, the uhbiks and colour copy. The others are nice too, but quite exotic.
Satin is another one I have looked at. I like the presets idea for what the musical content is that you want the tape sound on.
Old 11-26-2018, 02:47 PM   #18
Glennbo

Quote:
I have not, but now that you mention it, that might be one that could replace (some of) my Windows copy of Toontrack's EZ-Keys Piano Essentials.

I'd still want EZ-Keys for the Wurlitzer electric piano. The Steinway grand piano in EZ-Keys is OK, but not fantastic. The upright is VERY usable, but I have another very good upright in Komplete Elements, which is already working in Linux, and Elements has a Rhodes that is as good as the one in EZ-Keys, so the Wurlitzer is really the only one that I would need.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:10 PM   #19
Glennbo

Quote:
Well crap, I just HAD to try the demo.

Now I want Pianoteq Stage and the addon electric piano instruments!!!
Old 11-26-2018, 03:26 PM   #20
Jack Winter

Quote:
Well crap, I just HAD to try the demo.

Now I want Pianoteq Stage and the addon electric piano instruments!!!
It's just too good, much better than any sampled piano I've ever played.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:57 PM   #21
Glennbo

Quote:
It's just too good, much better than any sampled piano I've ever played.
And it's native 64 bit Linux, which eclipses my EZ-Keys that would have to install as a 32 bit Windows plugin in Wine, then be bridged.

BTW, the Vintage plugin bundle I just bought from OverTone this morning installed in Windows on my dual boot DAW and loading a Linux project in Windows is totally happy with the plugins in Windows now if for some reason I wanted to work on it there.