Old 01-20-2011, 02:20 PM   #41
gofer
-blänk-

Seems to work as expected here. Comps can be saved and recalled properly. Maybe you're expecting more than there is to it?
For example it doesn't save individual item length (split points) per comp or some such. It only recalls which takes you have active for those items that are selected when you save the comp.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:44 PM   #42
jens
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
Seems to work as expected here. Comps can be saved and recalled properly. Maybe you're expecting more than there is to it?
For example it doesn't save individual item length (split points) per comp or some such. It only recalls which takes you have active for those items that are selected when you save the comp.

I'm totally confused now - when I first tried it, all items were semi-permanently grouped (i.e. you could grab any item which was part of the comp and all others would move) - that was by far its main atraction for me. You could say comps worked as item-containers...

well actually, without that function, what sense would that what you describe make?
jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:52 PM   #43
jens

I just tried Alpha18a (unfortunately it's the oldest V4 I have right now) and it's the same as now - I start wondering whether I dreamt what I explained above about the assumed original behaviour - in any case I've described the dream before in this thread here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jens View Post
For me the main thing about it is that there is finally a container for related audio-snippets. All items a comp consists off act as one.

And this while your take info isn't lost at all.
:-/
jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:55 PM   #44
toggle

Jens,

I just tried it, and I think that's they way it was before. The comp saves whichever item-within-item that you choose (take) as part of the active comp, but the parent items can still be moved around, etc.--there is no "glueing" (actual or not) of all items in a comp, if that's what you mean.

Tom
toggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:01 PM   #45
gofer
-blänk-

It's mostly about comparing different varieties of comps I think. You can quickly cycle them to decide which is best. An option to have item movement synced (but not item edge movement and take content movement) and an action to select all involved items would probably be useful.

I just saw that comps are not copied when I select all involved items and copy them. That could be nice in case I find a combination that I'd like to use elsewhere in the project.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:32 AM   #46
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
You can do adjust edges, create different comps (similar to revolver tracks), time stretch takes, etc., etc:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/c1q63d...xu/R4Comp1.avi

This is neat. But I don't like the fact that saved comps don't save the actual location of comp splits...
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:58 AM   #47
gofer
-blänk-

Yep, I'd want to be able to shift split points between comps and have them saved with the comp as well.

Basically all aspects I can change would be good to be stored in a saved comp, like eg
item fades
item volume handle
take volume/pan
take playrate
take source start offset (I mean slip edits - the alt+drag the take waveform around thing)
maybe even changes in take envelopes

Might not be all that important but still help- and useful with the "record several takes of the same performance and pick the best pieces" style of comping. Eg it would allow for optimizing pitch, volume and timing of the several takes individually before actually doing the comping, so all takes will shine best they can before you really start to combine pieces of the different record rounds.

But foremost it would open up the comp save system to "record several rounds off improvised solo and have total freedom to create the most awesome patchwork-uber-solo after the fact".
Old 02-11-2011, 07:07 AM   #48
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
This is neat. But I don't like the fact that saved comps don't save the actual location of comp splits...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
Yep, I'd want to be able to shift split points between comps and have them saved with the comp as well.

Basically all aspects I can change would be good to be stored in a saved comp, like eg
item fades
item volume handle
take volume/pan
take playrate
take source start offset (I mean slip edits - the alt+drag the take waveform around thing)
maybe even changes in take envelopes

Might not be all that important but still help- and useful with the "record several takes of the same performance and pick the best pieces" style of comping. Eg it would allow for optimizing pitch, volume and timing of the several takes individually before actually doing the comping, so all takes will shine best they can before you really start to combine pieces of the different record rounds.

But foremost it would open up the comp save system to "record several rounds off improvised solo and have total freedom to create the most awesome patchwork-uber-solo after the fact".
Great ideas, +1.

SWS created some actions a long time ago to save items' states so I think it's completely possible to make it native. The project bay is the perfect place to see/manage comps, don't you think?

[EDIT] Actually, I'll take this conversation to its proper place, hope you don't mind if I move your posts there

[EDIT 2] Ok, here we are

Last edited by Mercado_Negro; 02-11-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Mercado_Negro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:21 PM   #49
Mercado_Negro

In alpha40 we saw some nice improvements to the takes/comps system, thanks!

I'd like to suggest 2 ideas here:

1) Position (Project Bay): this should sort takes chronologically.

2) Preview: an action to preview takes under mouse cursor using that bay option to "preview media items through selected track". This should just use that option but the bay itself won't be displayed.

Last edited by Mercado_Negro; 02-14-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Mercado_Negro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:05 PM   #50
Mercado_Negro

3) An option in Preferences to lock takes by default. This way we could only select/switch them with a mouse modifier and prevent issues like this:

This would be ideal, I think:

4) Please take a look at the gif above. An action for Media Item double-click and Media item bottom half double-click to split item at time selection and activate only that portion would be also ideal.

5) We could also make good use of colors for comps in the project bay. This way takes would change their colors accordingly if they belong to several comps.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:30 PM   #51
musicbynumbers

INDEED

It could even be an option in the lock options

Quote:
3) An option in Preferences to lock takes by default. This way we could only select/switch them with a mouse modifier and prevent issues like this:

This would be ideal, I think:

4) Please take a look at the gif above. An action for Media Item double-click and Media item bottom half double-click to split item at time selection and activate only that portion would be also ideal.

5) We could also make good use of colors for comps in the project bay. This way takes would change their colors accordingly if they belong to several comps.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:14 AM   #52
Jeffos
Mortal

µOT:
Quote:
What an incredible pile of takes, MN!! Almost identical.. are you recording robots or? ha ha! Oh.. and yeah, now I see why a single lane and markers are enough for you I wish we could have someone behind the mixer as well to insert markers when we're recording (yes, nobody in front of REAPER here, hence the loop recording), but I'm glad not being such a robot

On-topic:
- big +1 to MN's ideas 1, 2 (out of the bay indeed) and 3. Of course, it's not that the other are bad but *I* just won't use them.
- tried to comp on a real project recently: comps in the bay are much more handy but, right now, it still turned out we won't use comping because comp+split are very good friends and since you split items that are already part of a comp that comp is "broken" (i.e. activating it will only activate the left items of the recent splits), it's difficult to re-save it (the comp should be deleted first). Spliting and *then* comping is fine but it turned out we always had to do a few other splits..
4alpha41 bugs (?):
- when you save a new comp it doesn't immetiately appear in the bay (you have to unselect the related items first)
- when you delete a comp (& keep takes) the related "root node" remains present in the bay
Jeffos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:45 AM   #53
Shan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWathan View Post
Haha, I tend to agree... Why would you make 2 totally different comps to compare and AB... Wouldn't you just pick the best take for each section you split up the first time? Why would you pick the second best take for each section and make a comp when you already know the other comp is better? Heh...
Late to the party on this thread, but this feature is great for leads, doubles, triples and layers etc. The second best take would definitely be the double track etc.

Shane

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM
Shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:10 AM   #54
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffos View Post
µOT:

What an incredible pile of takes, MN!! Almost identical.. are you recording robots or? ha ha! Oh.. and yeah, now I see why a single lane and markers are enough for you I wish we could have someone behind the mixer as well to insert markers when we're recording (yes, nobody in front of REAPER here, hence the loop recording), but I'm glad not being such a robot
Hehe that guy is pretty good when it comes to takes with different 'flows'... I wish this was always the case

Quote:
tried to comp on a real project recently: comps in the bay are much more handy but, right now, it still turned out we won't use comping because comp+split are very good friends and since you split items that are already part of a comp that comp is "broken" (i.e. activating it will only activate the left items of the recent splits), it's difficult to re-save it (the comp should be deleted first). Spliting and *then* comping is fine but it turned out we always had to do a few other splits..
Yes, you're right. As gofer and ED pointed out above these comps should preserve (save) takes states like fades in/out, size, etc., people always need to do extra splits/edits later on.

Quote:
4alpha41 bugs (?):
- when you save a new comp it doesn't immetiately appear in the bay (you have to unselect the related items first)
- when you delete a comp (& keep takes) the related "root node" remains present in the bay
Confirmed.