vitalker
Human being with feelings

Default v6.08+dev0407 - April 7 2020

v6.08+dev0407 - April 7 2020
  • + ReaNINJAM: improve voice-chat playback latency
  • + Screensets: fix restoring horizontal scroll position
  • # ReaNINJAM: add keyboard shortcuts for metronome/master mute
  • # ReaControlMIDI: support save/load of sysex messages
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 02:21 PM   #2
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
+ ReaNINJAM: improve voice-chat playback latency
Thanks !

Looking forward to testing this !
-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 04-08-2020 at 03:02 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:42 AM   #3
Tale

Quote:
# ReaControlMIDI: support save/load of sysex messages
Nice!
Tale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 03:18 AM   #4
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
+ ReaNINJAM: improve voice-chat playback latency
We did an in-depth test of the voice chat latency.

We found that it's greatly improved an seems to work very stable.

Here some testing results.

Environment:
rather high speed internet connection on both sites.Two clients connected to a private server we set up on a virtual machine hired in the Internet running Debian.
Parallel chatting via a telephone connection, that also runs via Internet (SIP) and of course also feature some latency.

Result:
- after both sites connecting to the server the chat latency is less than 50 mSec greater than the latency of the telephone, but the audio quality is a lot better.
- the latency relative to the telephone increases gradually during the session to some 200 mSec. A measurement of the round trip delay resulted in 440 mSec. Obviously there is some automatic latency management according to line quality in place.
- the latency does not ever seem to automatically reduce due to good line quality (perhaps this might be improved)
- changing BPI on the fly does not seem to have any influx on the latency of the voice chat.
- transmitting the chat channel is only switched on after a complete loop interval has passed for the sender. This is true as well for activating "xmit", as for the transmitting client reconnecting, as for the receiving client reconnecting. IMHO this is not a necessary limitation and the chat channel should be managed independent "immediately" of the interval phase. In fact this is decently annoying when trying to use NinJam for "rehearsal" (with huge BPI settings).

Thanks for listening,
-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 04-08-2020 at 03:26 AM.
Old 04-08-2020, 03:26 AM   #5
Futur8me

Hi.., I am finding so many bugs and glitches in reaper 6, I'm just not sure when they all started, the start and stop and loop buttons in reapers media explorer are not retina?, but they are retina in Reaper 5.99.

Hitting the media explorer stop button twice turns off the wave form display...?.

I still can't turn off the tiny fade in and out on playback start and stop in the audio preferences, how much more of Reapers Preferences do I not have control over and I can not turn off anymore??.

Old 04-08-2020, 07:50 AM   #6
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
- the latency does not ever seem to automatically reduce due to good line quality (perhaps this might be improved)
It does reduce, but the threshold is pretty high. We could possibly make this configurable (for example if connected to a server across an ocean you might allow higher latencies than if a local one).

I'll also look at shortening the interval length for voice chat mode...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:42 AM   #7
Klangfarben

Hey, this may or may not be the right place to discuss this regarding NINJAM. I know NINJAM is tool to basically allow jamming together. But it seems like a giant opportunity was missed here.

Checking this out and playing around with it a bit, it seems you can't actually play live together at the same time. Everyone is playing along to whatever the last iteration was that was played. Which means it is basically only good for jamming and not much else.

Right now, there is a HUGE segment of session musicians at home that have zero work. And they are all trying to figure out how to do sessions remotely. With more than the ability to just overdub, or just jam together on basic changes. They need to do sessions with multiple people in remote locations playing at the same time.

Have you considered making just a no latency version? And letting the users sort out latency? Because if everyone involved has a fast internet connection and you are using a fast server, there is no reason we couldn't be using this to actually record live sessions remotely, where everyone is playing the chart/cue at the same time.

If you were able to do that and include video chat, there would be a TON of people using this right now. The film music community is desperately looking for options right now but as it sits currently, there is no way NINJAM could be used for remote recording of multiple players which is too bad.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:58 AM   #8
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
It does reduce, but the threshold is pretty high. We could possibly make this configurable (for example if connected to a server across an ocean you might allow higher latencies than if a local one).
Great. But not a major issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I'll also look at shortening the interval length for voice chat mode...
Excelent !
Thanks a lot !
-Michael
Old 04-08-2020, 12:12 PM   #9
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
Have you considered making just a no latency version?
The goal of NinJam is to make playing together possible even if the line features a latency of more than - say - 20 msek (which makes playing together really live impossible).

There are programs like Jamulus that do such an "as realtime as possible" connection. They say they need a line "ping" of 40 msek for decmnt usability.

In fact the "voice chat" channels in NinJam provide a similar functionality.

Maybe indeed a dedicated plugin with that functionality would indeed be nice to have.
I don't know if Voice Chat in NinJam is deone peer-to-peer or via the server. For lowest latency such a plugin of coarse would need to work peer-to-peer.

Maybe in fact changing the voice chat mode in NinJam to go peer-to-peer (and renaming it ) would provide the requested functionality.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 04-08-2020 at 02:28 PM.