Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 12-02-2010, 11:26 PM   #81
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatclub View Post
just to clarify, it doesn't make sense to be having to set "RECORD OUTPUT" again because the Instrument is in the "Input FX" chain.

I like to print things down to audio straight away, and I've always done with the my virtual instruments, as if it was a hardware instrument getting recorded via line in. So when I saw this feature, this was the first thing I thought of it'd be great for
You need to record the output of the track because you want to have audio, not MIDI, otherwise use "Record: Input". I think I'm not following you here, sorry, but what's the purpose it is defeating?
Old 12-02-2010, 11:31 PM   #82
boatclub
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
You need to record the output of the track because you want to have audio, not MIDI, otherwise use "Record: Input". I think I'm not following you here, sorry, but what's the purpose it is defeating?
Ok, I see where you're coming from now.
For example, when you record in a vocal with a delay on the input fx, it will record the audio down to a track with the delay bounced.
What I'm hoping for is that you can simply drop a VSTi (and FX after that if you want) and it records the virtual instrument down to audio on record.

From your previous post above, it makes sense for me now that because it's receiving MIDI input, it wouldn't record audio, it would record a MIDI item. Thanks for clearing that up.
What would be cool I guess is that if there was a VSTi in Input FX but not normal FX chain, it'd just record to audio anyway, rather than having to select "RECORD OUTPUT". But maybe I'm just lazy.
boatclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:32 PM   #83
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
Same here. VSTIs simply don't work as an input fx, and I'm wondering if it was intended that way, or maybe something isn't working as it should.
You can use VSTis in input FX -- just set the track record mode to input (force format) ... then mono/stereo or multichannel.

Likewise, you can set a track to monitor audio input, input FX to convert that to MIDI, then force recording of the MIDI rather than the audio. See?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:47 PM   #84
Mercado_Negro

hehe I totally missed those new modes to force format! I'll change the pics in the previous page guys, it's easier to use those modes, yeah

Thanks for pointing that out Justin.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:53 PM   #85
boatclub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
You can use VSTis in input FX -- just set the track record mode to input (force format) ... then mono/stereo or multichannel.

Likewise, you can set a track to monitor audio input, input FX to convert that to MIDI, then force recording of the MIDI rather than the audio. See?
Cool thanks for the clarification.

What's funny, I went to go setup what you've suggested... but when you choose "Input (Force Format) -> Mono" and there's a MIDI input selected, whether it's a regular MIDI or Virtual MIDI keyboard, REAPER crashes out. Only seems to do it with Mono though. Do I report that bug elsewhere or just here?
Old 12-02-2010, 11:58 PM   #86
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatclub View Post
Cool thanks for the clarification.

What's funny, I went to go setup what you've suggested... but when you choose "Input (Force Format) -> Mono" and there's a MIDI input selected, whether it's a regular MIDI or Virtual MIDI keyboard, REAPER crashes out. Only seems to do it with Mono though. Do I report that bug elsewhere or just here?
I can confirm the crash if you set it to mono. I'd post that report here:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=69744

and I'd also include the crash log. Mine is:

Quote:
Nombre del evento de problema: APPCRASH
Nombre de la aplicación: reaper.exe
Versión de la aplicación: 3.9.1.2
Marca de tiempo de la aplicación: 4cf8476f
Nombre del módulo con errores: reaper.exe
Versión del módulo con errores: 3.9.1.2
Marca de tiempo del módulo con errores: 4cf8476f
Código de excepción: c0000005
Desplazamiento de excepción: 000000000022f450
Versión del sistema operativo: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Id. de configuración regional: 1033
Información adicional 1: 8bad
Información adicional 2: 8bad2284f2cdda0922d03daac4534287
Información adicional 3: cc0d
Información adicional 4: cc0d8ba87494971ae18b636fc6afcd9b
Is the same module for you? (4cf8476f)
Old 12-03-2010, 12:21 AM   #87
boatclub

thanks for reproducing that.

dunno how to find that info, but i'd assume it'd be the same problem? Maybe it was a good thing we discussed this then... we found a bug

best wishes
louis.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:41 AM   #88
Justin
Administrator

Oops, the mono mode bug will be fixed in the next alpha . Thanks for spotting this.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:45 AM   #89
dub3000

this was posted in the bug thread but thought i'd put it in here as well: if you use input fx on a mono input, the left channel plays back the processed signal but the right channel plays back the raw signal. it's a bit weird in headphones.
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:41 AM   #90
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
Originally Posted by nym View Post
boatclub is definitely onto something
it used to suck to have to bypass FX after recording output on a vsti

also, someone else mentioned "not having to use sonar as a midi frontend for reaper" because of input fx chain support - i'm with ya. i used to use energtXT + midi plugins for the same purpose. solo bypass allowed me to solve this, but input FX chain will let me take things even further...and on a track-by-track basis. GREAT addition
Hehe, that someone was probably me, but it wasn't Sonar. I use Logic for that purpose and I did the same when I tried hard to get used to Sonar as it doesn't (didn't at that time?) have realtime input processing as well. Logic (PC version) has the advantage that it can be dumbed down to not much more than it's MIDI part. No measurable CPU overhead and a very tiny memory usage. My PC does barely notice it's running. Plus it's MIDI environment is just perfect for the purpose.
That combo works absolutely effortless, but it looks as if ancient Logic doesn't install on Win7, so this feature comes just in time for my rescue.

So much for the OT . I don't know exactly why, but I felt a strong urge to make it a point that it's not Sonar...

Again much appreciation for this new feature in Reaper. Thanks.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:10 AM   #91
Subz

this is a kewl feature!

it dose not add features as much as it refines work-flow!

no more adding extra tracks for me to use a midi plugin

Subz
Subz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:11 PM   #92
dub3000

I am really liking this - with this and a couple of fx chains for bass/guitar it's made dropping in new tracks very easy and im surprised to find myself enjoying committing to a sound early. Weird.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:02 PM   #93
PitchSlap

Nice,

This is really handy for recording effects that have MIDI output.

I just tried opening an old project that had a JS midi effect on the track which I can't find and now it sounds completely different. By using MIDI effects in this new way, that won't be a problem in the future.

As for audio I could see this being useful for UAD plugins (like the new Studer) or Nebula where the effect can be quite subtle but munch a lot of CPU...

I found it a bit clunky to set up initially, because I already had the desired effect on a different track and was hoping to be able to drag and drop onto the FX button but that didn't work, and the FX chain window won't come up until there is at least a single plugin on it so I had to insert a 'dummy' effect before I could copy the desired effect onto the chain.

Maybe I'm doing something incorrect, but if not maybe this behavior could be tweaked a bit.

I'd also prefer to have some indication if there is an input chain even when record arm isn't enabled. It doesn't need to be intrusive, something really subtle would work fine, just as long as it's there.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:09 AM   #94
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post

Ah ha! Thanks for that info and the feature. I see now that it's all been explained to me, but it wasn't obvious.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:20 AM   #95
iamdjstaks

Default quantize

there should be an option to set a global track input quantization as well as individual track quantization like there is in studio one
iamdjstaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:28 AM   #96
Anton9

Default Input FX: parameter modulation

Parameter modulation / envelope automation and Midi Control of Input FX doesn't seem to be possible. Could we please have this added ?

On the subject of Parameter modulation.., it would be nice to have an option to allow the LFO not to reset when loop play is engaged. As it is now when a loop starts over any parameter that has modulation attached also resets which can cause a sort-of pop/click sound. Sometimes this behavior is desirable so a check box option would be cool..., and if you could also raise the LFO's Speed max of 8.00 Hz to maybe 60 Hz that would be great

oops.., one more thing for the Input FX, a set of actions such as the ones for regular track FX would be awesome.

Thanks,

Anton9
Anton9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:08 AM   #97
musicbynumbers

Since we have the force input option can we have a force "monitor" input option..

..so we can monitor with say heavy compression but not record it.

I like the idea of having separate monitor fx to mixing fx for say tracking vocals.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:26 AM   #98
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Since we have the force input option can we have a force "monitor" input option..

..so we can monitor with say heavy compression but not record it.

I like the idea of having separate monitor fx to mixing fx for say tracking vocals.
You can do that if you insert your compressor in regular insert slots and use force mono, stereo, etc. Right now I set up a template to record vocals through a compressor with .5dB or 1dB max and I have another compressor in the track's insert with heavy settings which doesn't get printed; this track is a folder so I can keep the dynamics of 1 performer controlled by the 'heavy' compressor and still record new takes in the folder and move recordings afterward to children.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:15 AM   #99
musicbynumbers

Quote:
You can do that if you insert your compressor in regular insert slots and use force mono, stereo, etc. Right now I set up a template to record vocals through a compressor with .5dB or 1dB max and I have another compressor in the track's insert with heavy settings which doesn't get printed; this track is a folder so I can keep the dynamics of 1 performer controlled by the 'heavy' compressor and still record new takes in the folder and move recordings afterward to children.
Thanks but I don't think I explain myself very well!

My intention is to not record down any compression but to have a simple way to switch between a well mixed set of effects on the main inserts and then if I want to "drop in" another take at the moment I switch to input monitoring the main inserts are ignored and the input inserts take over, allowing me to set up heavy compression and perhaps some reverb/echo solely for tracking and then as soon as I un-click record I'm back to my "in the mix" main inserts.

I am beginning to realise though, I don't think this is going to happen any time soon!
Old 12-05-2010, 03:29 PM   #100
brainwreck

Instead of having input fx hidden away underneath another button, how about the fx list be split in two - a small section on top for input fx, and the bulk of the space for regular insert effects. Either that, or a tab in the fx window. Also, a button for disabling input fx, near the insert fx button, would be nice.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:46 PM   #101
captain caveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Thanks but I don't think I explain myself very well!

My intention is to not record down any compression but to have a simple way to switch between a well mixed set of effects on the main inserts and then if I want to "drop in" another take at the moment I switch to input monitoring the main inserts are ignored and the input inserts take over, allowing me to set up heavy compression and perhaps some reverb/echo solely for tracking and then as soon as I un-click record I'm back to my "in the mix" main inserts.

I am beginning to realise though, I don't think this is going to happen any time soon!
You could do that using Senderella in send mode inserted before your monitoring FX on an track set up as an input track sending audio to another instance set up to receive in the Input FX on the track you are recording to. You could then do a wee macro to toggle bypass FX and toggle rec-arm to rec-arm the tracks you want this to happen with.

I mentioned it before, but all you need to do on the rec track is to set up an unused audio input for dummy monitoring purposes.

edit: although if all you are wanting is exaggerated input FX then you could probably get away with forgetting about bypassing the insert FX 'cause what harm is a bit of nice EQ and compression going to do to the more in yer face stuff on the input channel?
captain caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:36 PM   #102
musicbynumbers

Good idea but that might potentially lead to offsets no?

Anyway, will "put that in the bank" and use it as a last resort but will see what happens before release.

I love the fact that it seems in reaper though that there's always a way.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:39 AM   #103
Anomaly

How about a "Global input FX"? So you can insert an FX that is automatically used in ALL input tracks. Imagine something like bootsie ferric as global input fx..

It would be nice to have a pre fader global FX too (on playback side)..

cheers
Anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:35 PM   #104
Yish313

One Drawback with input FX, is that it would seem to be a loading nightmare. I understand no CPU when not in use, but the Session loading time(If you have 50 vocal tracks that have been recorded with live "Input fx"), would that not be an issue.

Would not it be easier to implement some kind of Input channel type or a bus that you can set to have input fx for live recording... IE Cubase Input Channels with inserts.(I hate bringing up other Daws)

Seems easier to have a handful of presets for your sound card's inputs say, Input one you like Amplitube, Input 2 UAD Live input fx for vocals. so on and so forth. I use Mic Modeler alot to alter my microphones sound coming in.

I had one solution, and that was to use ReaRoute with a separate Vst host...
Add Track 1
Choose Physical Input
Route to ReaRoute "Out" Channel 1,
Assign ReaRoute "In" Channel 1 in Vst host,
Add fx inserts in VST host,
Assign to Rearoute Out Channel 1,
Back in Reaper add Track 2,
Finally, assign ReaRoute "In" channel 1 to track 2 as input and record.
TADA!!! Live FX Printing.

BTW...I quit using Reaper shortly After.

It was a work flow killer and required an extra host for live FX printing.

Please implement a way at least to use ReaRoute or something similar to allow Custom Input Channels with Live FX

P.S. to clarify I am now officially licensed for Reaper and Have abandon all other DAW's for my work, except "Slo-Tools", that's only for importing sessions to convert into Reaper. But this feature is in all modern DAWS, even in FL Studio.

Last edited by Yish313; 12-28-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Yish313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:10 PM   #105
Mercado_Negro

You can use Folder tracks as Input Tracks. I have a recording project template for vocals and another one for instruments with tracks in Folders which contain all the Input FXs. You can record in your Folders (which may also contain FXs in their Inserts and they won't be printed to your source) and then move the recording to its track. The only difference between a dedicated Input Track and this is you need to move your items to their own tracks but that just takes less than 3 secs. You won't need to add FXs to all your tracks and sessions would probably load much faster.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:37 PM   #106
Yish313

that seems a pain to have to move every recorded track. especially when counts get high.

To "Record" Track 1 with "auto arm when selected" and an Input channel with one set of effects,

then click track 2 (same input), hit record, then Track 3 and so on is more productive then... having to have the grid on always so as not to offset the clip and move each clip afterwards down the TCP to Track 50 or more.

Keeping the session moving and maintaining the creative juices is a mandatory thing. When the client says next track, I like to be ahead of them already in standby the minute I hit stop for the next take.
Yish313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:52 PM   #107
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yish313 View Post
that seems a pain to have to move every recorded track. especially when counts get high.

To "Record" Track 1 with "auto arm when selected" and an Input channel with one set of effects,

then click track 2 (same input), hit record, then Track 3 and so on is more productive then... having to have the grid on always so as not to offset the clip and move each clip afterwards down the TCP to Track 50 or more.

Keeping the session moving and maintaining the creative juices is a mandatory thing. When the client says next track, I like to be ahead of them already in standby the minute I hit stop for the next take.
It's lightning fast for me with my current template. I've also tried to use FXs in all tracks but that didn't work for me because it was a pain to set up all FXs for the first time in that track. Folders with children, pretty well organized and saved as a project template is my key to do things fast. I don't need to use 'auto rec arm when selected' because I always use folders for that so I just record there and then move items down to their children. I don't need to use the snap on either, "Move items down one track" is bound to my the down arrow in my keyboard and that gets me there in seconds. It looks cumbersome, I know but maybe you can give it a shot and see if it fits your workflow.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:11 PM   #108
dub3000

Quote:
You can use Folder tracks as Input Tracks. I have a recording project template for vocals and another one for instruments with tracks in Folders which contain all the Input FXs. You can record in your Folders (which may also contain FXs in their Inserts and they won't be printed to your source) and then move the recording to its track. The only difference between a dedicated Input Track and this is you need to move your items to their own tracks but that just takes less than 3 secs. You won't need to add FXs to all your tracks and sessions would probably load much faster.
yeah, this is what i do as well.

keypad 2 is 'move selected item down one track'... it's pretty fast, but still feels a bit clunky.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:23 PM   #109
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub3000 View Post
yeah, this is what i do as well.

keypad 2 is 'move selected item down one track'... it's pretty fast, but still feels a bit clunky.
Sure, nothing like recording right there in your tracks but seeing this here, in v4, is pretty awesome already. I would've also loved to see tracks outputs as inputs for other tracks like Billion suggested a long time ago which would have also covered our needs for 'printing FXs'.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:36 AM   #110
Vincent of Nizzzle

this is awesome. it beats having to create send tracks or record output. plus having this as a default feature is much less time consuming then making custom commands or what have you. as a guitarist this is the equivalent of having a cab mic'ed up and committing to the sound. as opposed to using something like amplitube post input and setting record to output then trying to use time selection auto punch feature whilst knowing you're gonna hear your recording through the same effect you printed.
Vincent of Nizzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:38 AM   #111
drew
Mobile

Input FX chain = fantastic functionality - and really appreciated!

I am just concerned that it is too hidden & detached from other areas to be easily found and therefore not as intuitive or practical as it should be.

After all, why shouldn't Track FX window be capable of handling input FX too? It's certainly the place I'd expect to find them. It currently seems the window called track FX makes no reference to the input ones - as if there's no relationship between them.

Even if the "behind-the-scenes" workings are just the same, what if the input FX appeared as "another type" within the same FX chain view? They would always appear above any output ones, but could still easily be dragged/converted between the two types.

For instance:

or with symbols:

Maybe a horizontal dividing bar (draggable) between the two sections could help with clarity too, but I certainly feel something like this would be less cumbersome and much clearer so we have a single FX window per track. Curious to hear whether others agree.

Although I appreciate maybe there is no intention to change anything within this area, I thought it was worth sharing these design thoughts since hopefully there's still time to improve the representation and visibility of Input FX.

Cheers,

Drew
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:10 AM   #112
Mercado_Negro

Mike did a similar mockup with some ideas a while ago, please check it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Stop Continues View Post
PLEASE merge the input FX into the existing FX window... This separation is unclear and unuseful.

I think you can see how much more beneficial adding some toggle actions would be... Preferable would be the ability to see both, like so...

[IMG]http://img52.**************/img52/9666/integratedfx.png[/IMG]
  • Click the 'master' checkboxes to enable and disable en masse.
  • Drag and drop between FX chains
  • Auto-hide/offline input FX when not recording
  • actions to show either/or/both chains
  • Possibility for future enhancement.

Amazing?
Old 02-20-2011, 07:54 AM   #113
drew
Mobile

Well well! I hadn't seen that. The fact we ended up with similar mock-ups does at least suggest I am not alone in thinking it.

I really can't see the point in an extra button and different window being required to find what are, essentially, still "Track FX" but at a different place in the chain.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:52 AM   #114
UnderwaterSunlight

Default input fx is an awesome feature...

reminds me of the input transformer in cubase...
now i have one reason less to ever going back to cubase...
UnderwaterSunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:44 AM   #115
drew
Mobile

It looks like the integrated window won't make it into 4.0 - which may suggest it won't come any time after that (I'd be surprised if it was changed soon after introduction in a release version).

I think that's a real shame because I can't see any reason the "FX" window couldn't show both as in the illustration above.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:59 AM   #116
gofer
-blänk-

One thing I am missing much is track control knobs for the input FX.
I'd use them mostly to have some MIDI input processing, but it's a pity that I need to open the plugin windows just to know what I have set on a particular track. I need at least two plugins for that chain (until I manage to code a single JS with my favorite controls only), but not a lot of parameters.
I really prefer to see and tweak them right on the track headers.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote