Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 12-14-2010, 06:10 AM   #41
Evan
Human being with feelings

I am hoping for the multichannel meters to become more configurable...

It may be ok for surround sound, to have very thin meters fill up the restricted UI space of a single track. But for multi-out instruments, it helps to be able to have separate meter strips (numbered even), even if that requires expanded TCP/MCP sizes.

It's a real workflow enhancer when we can use a single track + multiple meters to monitor the audio of multi-out VSTi.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:39 AM   #42
Mike Stop Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post

It may be ok for surround sound, to have very thin meters fill up the restricted UI space of a single track. But for multi-out instruments, it helps to be able to have separate meter strips (numbered even), even if that requires expanded TCP/MCP sizes.

It's a real workflow enhancer when we can use a single track + multiple meters to monitor the audio of multi-out VSTi.
That's true, though some walter code like the following would allow a vertical-stretch meter so that the meters would grow depending on the space provided:

Code:
set tcp.meter [11 20 200 200 0 0 1 1]
Note: that's just a sample, and it probably needs tweaking to look good...
Old 12-16-2010, 08:25 PM   #43
musicbynumbers

Default FR: Need 2 channel items to be able to route to other track channels

If, when changing channel output in item properties the item is only 2 channel but you send it to outs 3 & 4 (for example) it would be amazing to have it route 1 & 2 to 3 & 4 instead of doing nothing.

This would be so powerful for side chaining and surround sound applications where you could have multiple stereo/mono items in FIPM on top of each other, group them and then send them to there relevant channels without having to bounce them down to a multi-channel audio item.

musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:53 AM   #44
griz lee

Default BUG

Multichannel Routing:----------------------------

Incorrect number of channels displayed in routing matrix Tool tip for multichannel sends.

I'm getting channels [1-9] reported in the tool tip for an 8 channel track.

Thanks. The multichannel routing is however A-W-E-S-O-M-E
griz lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:08 AM   #45
Evan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
An further FR on that: auto-labeling of the VU meters...

- From the standard L+R (each letter below each meter)
- to common surround labels (LFE etc...)
- to simple numbering (1,2,3,...), this one being most useful in multi-out instruments

That would have to be another one optional+configurable UI element.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:59 AM   #46
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Oh man.... I have been busy the last week or so and have missed everything between alpha 2 and alpha 15.
I just opened A15 and see MULTI CHANNEL METERS on the individual channels and the master!!!! This is AWESOME and a HUGE leap forwards in this area for me. THANK YOU Cockos! *looks for hug smiley*

While we are moving forwards with this, I'd like to bump the following. It would be awesome to have RMS and peak on all meter channels on both track and master meters. I posted one possible solution to this in my metering improvements FR. Here's the image I used. RMS is shown as bar graph and peak is the thick white line above it on the same meter (the thin lines are max hold for RMS and peak values and could be optional).....

Also, while this is being worked on, can we have user configurable meter dB value markings please? (see my FR in my sig for full explanation)

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
SCHWA and JUSTIN!!!

when you do this...

..PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE consider allowing RMS meters on all channels, they don't have to have individual settings for each track (like the master channel) just one setting to rule them all

This would make mixing a very different experience, harking back to the VU days (no not VD days)

Peak meters are not much good without RMS along side them.

And if Sonar can do it, then obviously you guys can do it better!
Old 02-10-2011, 06:32 AM   #47
Evan

bump...

Now that we're still in the alpha stages, if some steps were taken to extend multi-meter functionality, both in Reaper as well as WALTER...

example:

Wishlist:

1) Numbered/labeled meters. (various options)
2) Full-sized meters in a single channel

Great for surround, and especially for multi-out VSTi. Reduces the need for multiple tracks to monitor a single instrument.

And finally, introduce the concept throughout Reaper, for MONO meters/channels. Allowing a track to have a single channel, as well as a MONO VU meter.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:03 AM   #48
musicbynumbers

RMS on all channels would really excite me I guess it could be a CPU killer well, maybe a few extra percent but as an option it should be there. Sonar has it (just trying to Psyche out the devs! )
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:02 PM   #49
jdutaillis

While we're on metering...

Can we please have PRE-FADER METERING!
jdutaillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:42 PM   #50
thebigcheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
i'm slightly confused about this. i think i understand, but i don't see the advantages. what would this be for in practice?

i get it that you could record a piano with multiple mics, but why wouldn't you just send multiple mics to multiple tracks under a 'piano' folder? this way you can change the levels at will.

i feel like i'm missing something.
The biggest benefit of using a single 9-track file (in my case) for drums vs. tracks in a folder is correcting timing. You don't have to worry about making sure you are moving all 9 tracks by the same amount since you are just cutting up one track. On the flip side, it isn't quite as easy to do FX per track, but since Reaper has such flexible routing, it's just a matter of selecting which FX go to which channel of the single file. I don't care so much about having level faders for each channel, as I will likely have EQ on each channel anyway, but pan control per channel might be nice (for panning overheads and toms, for example). Unless that is already in there somewhere. I haven't actually tried v4 yet.
thebigcheese is online now   Reply With Quote