Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Other Software Discussion > OSCII-bot forum

Old 05-22-2017, 07:57 AM   #1
barold
Human being with feelings

Default OSCIIbot to send OSC to my MOTU interface?

Hey guys,

I'm desperate for some direction here.

I currently use a MIDI controller to adjust track volumes in REAPER.

I need to use the same control to adjust volume parameters inside of my MOTU interface, which responds only to OSC.

So basically, one relative MIDI encoder would BOTH adjust track volume inside of REAPER and send OSC to the interface. Is this even possible?

Sorry for my n00bishness, but just trying to get a basis of understanding prior to jumping in and finding that what I've proposed is not theoretically possible.
barold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:34 AM   #2
goldenarpharazon

This routing arrangement ought to do what is asked. (this is a diagram, not code)

Code:
[Midi Controller]-->Midi-->[OSCII-bot]-->Midi-->[MidiYoke]-->Midi-->[Reaper]
                                    |   
                                    |-->OSC-->[MOTU]

The only slight downside is that the OSCII-bot script would have to be written to process ALL the Midi output from the controller and pass it onto Reaper in addition to what is routed to MOTU. NB. MidiYoke is PC specific so on a Mac one would need a different Midi tool.

With a relative encoder then some thought might need to be given to whether the relative value is turned into an absolute value in OSCII-bot (depending on what either Reaper (Midi) or MOTU (OSC) was expecting), or whether the relative value is just passed through.

Alternatively in a different solution pattern OSCII-bot could be used to
  1. send commands to Reaper as OSC
  2. detect the OSC feedback from Reaper and convert it to "MOTU speak OSC" and send it onto MOTU using the following routing arrangement.

Code:
[Midi Controller]-->Midi-->[OSCII-bot]-->OSC-->[Reaper]-->OSC-->[OSCII-bot]-->OSC-->[MOTU]

Last edited by goldenarpharazon; 05-22-2017 at 12:36 PM.
goldenarpharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:28 PM   #3
barold

Holy hell that's complicated. I'm not sure if I have the patience to work this out. Thanks for your reply!
barold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 03:52 PM   #4
mschnell

Yet another possibility could be to send Midi to Reaper and do some scripting to finally output the messages meant for the Motu by a Reaper Midi out and then convert those by OSCIIbot.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote