Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-03-2019, 08:50 AM   #1
_Stevie_
Human being with feelings

Default Moving region only possible by moving end point

Is this a expected behavior? I'm not able to move a region by touching the start.
I just want to move it by one bar. Instead I have to go to the end of the region.

Old 11-03-2019, 10:54 AM   #2
xpander

You can move region contents by dragging from either end and to both directions, but there is a specific thing you'll have to notice about the procedure.

When you are starting to move the contents of a region, you will get a pointer at one border of the region, either at the start or end of the region. If you click on the region bar closer to the start, pointer appears at the start of the region and vice versa. This pointer will only move to the edges of the current region borders and anywhere outside them, not inside the region. And, this pointer will show where the new position for the region border closest to it will be.

All this as a simple principle; it's maybe better to grab the region from near the region border which is closer to the direction you want to move the region. If you want to move the region to right, start the move from close to the right edge and vice versa. Otherwise, especially if you have a really long region, you will have to move the mouse for a far longer distance to make even the smallest region moves. Of course you will still have to make mouse move just to get close the other edge, but not as long drag at least.

Expected behavior? It does make sense to me, but I could easily use a way where I could grab either end and move either way, without the need to always go outside the current region borders. Especially so considering the region start. You can already move just the region without contents by dragging from anywhere on the region bar. Can't remember right now what was the reasoning for the difference.

Last edited by xpander; 11-03-2019 at 11:25 AM. Reason: more accurate
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:18 AM   #3
_Stevie_

Thanks for explaining. Yes, I can now see, how this is supposed to work.
It's not 100% ideal but I can work around that.