Old 09-14-2018, 11:06 AM   #1
Klangfarben
Human being with feelings

Default LinVST Questions

Ok, so I've been through the LinVST readme and tried to give this a go but there is a lot as a newbie I'm not able to decipher at this point. I know this is very basic but maybe someone could help?

1) If I go to the Github Repository and donwload LinVST, do I have to manually compile it? I grabbed LinVST from the AUR Repository and built it, but I don't see the files in /usr/bin that the readme is referring to. And yes, I'm stupid and don't know how to do that.

2) In the readme it states LinVST assumes Wine is in /usr/bin. Mine is in home/user/.wine. What should I do to point LinVST to the current Wine location?

3) Again this is very basic and I apologize, but I'm putting lin-vst-server.exe and lin-vst-server.so in /usr/bin. I then put linvst.so into the same folder as the Window VST and rename it with the same name as the Windows VST. At that point what do I do? I obviously point Reaper to the VST folder I want scanned but don't I need to actually convert the VST? I didn't find the readme very clear on this. And yes, if I didn't mention it before I am stupid.

4) Are there any realtime tweaks Wine needs or Wine RT or anything like that I need to change or will Wine Staging work fine as is for plugins like Kontakt?

Thanks for tolerating my stupidity!
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:16 PM   #2
Glennbo

One of the files at GitHub is just a compressed file that you extract to the location of your choice. I dropped it into a folder in my home folder. The process from there is pretty simple. Get your plugins installed in WINE, and then run LinVSTconvert, which pops up a panel asking where the .so template to use and where the .dlls live in WINE. After setting those you press Start and in less than a second, it does it.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:21 PM   #3
Klangfarben

Which distro of Linux are you on? I saw a Debian package on Osxmidi's Github but I'm on Manjaro so I'm guessing I have to make the package first or use Debtap.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:25 PM   #4
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
Which distro of Linux are you on? I saw a Debian package on Osxmidi's Github but I'm on Manjaro so I'm guessing I have to make the package first or use Debtap.
I'm using Xubuntu 18.04 64-bit. I don't know why the simple un-compress and start using way of doing shouldn't work, but with Arch in the background of Manjaro it might take more than that.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:57 PM   #5
kmkrebs

Quote:
1) If I go to the Github Repository and donwload LinVST, do I have to manually compile it? I grabbed LinVST from the AUR Repository and built it, but I don't see the files in /usr/bin that the readme is referring to.
Compiling it really isn't that difficult, and I would use this as an opportunity to learn how, since it will come in very handy in your future Linux wanderings.

One really important thing that I discovered -- by default, when you compile LinVst, it only compiles the 64-bit version, meaning that any 32-bit plug-ins you're trying to run will fail. You can do this by running 'make -F Makefile-embed-6432' then 'sudo make install -F Makefile-embed-6432'

Quote:
2) In the readme it states LinVST assumes Wine is in /usr/bin. Mine is in home/user/.wine. What should I do to point LinVST to the current Wine location?
Your personal Wine 'virtual drive' is in ~/.wine, but the wine executable file should be in /usr/bin. Try 'ls /usr/bin/wine*' and you should see quite a few files.

As for renaming the linvst.so file -- it needs to be renamed before you run Reaper or any other VST host. A good way to see if Reaper is detecting your Windows VSTs is to run reaper from the command-line, so you can watch for any problems.

Good luck.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:55 PM   #6
Klangfarben

Thanks very much for that info. Much appreciated. I think my basic problem is that when downloading source from Github I'm used to seeing steps to compile the source or the like in the readme. So without that I'm not quite sure where to start. Is it just CDing into the folder and sudo make?
Old 09-14-2018, 08:09 PM   #7
Beco

Quote:
I am using Manjaro distro too and I found the best way to install it is to use AUR. They already compile LinVST and became very easy to install it in this way.
You can find in the Add/Remove Software and search for LinVST. In the official repository you can not find it, but in the AUR repository you will find it. Just install and you are done.

Best Regards
Beco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:36 PM   #8
kmkrebs

Quote:
Thanks very much for that info. Much appreciated. I think my basic problem is that when downloading source from Github I'm used to seeing steps to compile the source or the like in the readme. So without that I'm not quite sure where to start. Is it just CDing into the folder and sudo make?
After cloning the LinVst repository with git, the next steps should* get things compiled and ready to go:
Code:
cd LinVst
make
sudo make install
or... if you need both 64 & 32 bit VST support:
Code:
cd LinVst
make -f Makefile-embed-6432
sudo make install -f Makefile-embed-6432
And the linvst.so file that you need to copy & rename will be in your git LinVst directory.

* I say this should work because I'm not sure what the dependencies are, so you may get an error if you don't have everything installed. You should be able to decode what's missing and install it from any error messages.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:39 PM   #9
osxmidi

When the LinVst binary is unzipped it contains a convert folder and an embedded-version folder etc (image 1).

The embedded version is the default, so the lin-vst-server files would be copied from the embedded-version folder to /usr/bin (image 2)

The convert folder contains linvstconvert (image 3).

Start linvstconvert and choose the linvst.so file from the embedded-version folder and choose the folder that contains the windows vst dll files (image 4).

I have installed some windows vst's in a folder named vst (image 5).

Hit the linvstconvert Convert Start button and the folder containing the windows vst dll files will then have files added that have a .so extension and it will look like this (image 6).

Then Reaper's scan search gets that folder (vst folder) added and then the vst's should be available in Reaper.

Last edited by osxmidi; 09-14-2018 at 09:00 PM.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:48 PM   #10
Klangfarben

Awesome. Thank you guys so much for both taking the time to help me get my brain around that.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:51 PM   #11
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beco View Post
I am using Manjaro distro too and I found the best way to install it is to use AUR. They already compile LinVST and became very easy to install it in this way.
I did this exact thing first. My issues were it wasn't the latest version and I also couldn't find the convert folder anywhere. Probably user error on that last part. But now at least I know how to grab the latest version and compile.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:16 PM   #12
osxmidi

Making linvstconvert is separate and it depends on the gtk dev packages.

Usually I would just use the linvstconvert from the github LinVst binary release and see if that worked, I've had it running on Debian, Ubuntu and Fedora.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:46 PM   #13
Beco

Quote:
I did this exact thing first. My issues were it wasn't the latest version and I also couldn't find the convert folder anywhere. Probably user error on that last part. But now at least I know how to grab the latest version and compile.
To find the place from AUR installation just double click in the name os your software from Add/remove Software and then in files. It will shows up all the installation to you. In the AUR repository is last version (2.3)

Glad that all we learn

Best regards

Last edited by Beco; 09-16-2018 at 04:58 PM.
Beco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 12:04 AM   #14
eric71

Quote:

4) Are there any realtime tweaks Wine needs or Wine RT or anything like that I need to change or will Wine Staging work fine as is for plugins like Kontakt?
Going back to the original post of this thread, I didn't see an answer to this question. I used to use wine-rt in KXStudio to run WIndows Reaper over a few years, but now am using wine staging with native Linux Reaper and linvst. I know realtime stuff made its way into wine at some point, but I sometimes feel like some windows plugins I still rely on in Linux with linvst struggle at lower latencies more than I'd like. Is there any wine tweaks that can be done to give them higher priority?
eric71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 02:43 AM   #15
espen

I couldn't find the convert folder anywhere
Old 09-27-2018, 03:34 AM   #16
osxmidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by espen View Post
I couldn't find the convert folder anywhere
If you are building from the source code then linvstconvert gets built in the source code's convert folder by running makegtk3 etc (it needs the gtk dev packages).

linvstconvert is included in the convert folder of the binary releases on the LinVst Releases page.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:36 AM   #17
osxmidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric71 View Post
Going back to the original post of this thread, I didn't see an answer to this question. I used to use wine-rt in KXStudio to run WIndows Reaper over a few years, but now am using wine staging with native Linux Reaper and linvst. I know realtime stuff made its way into wine at some point, but I sometimes feel like some windows plugins I still rely on in Linux with linvst struggle at lower latencies more than I'd like. Is there any wine tweaks that can be done to give them higher priority?
Kernel/audio hardware even the video card/drivers can be different from system to system so there is not one simple answer.

I don't know if it makes a huge difference but

Wineserver can be set to a higher priority may have an effect on cpu load and system response on some systems/setups/plugins.

wineserver can have it's priority level changed from normal to high or very high (root password needed), by right clicking on wineserver in System Monitor (start winecfg first to activate wineserver in System Monitor).

The wineserver priority can be set with wine-staging by setting the STAGING_RT_PRIORITY_SERVER environmental variable between 1 and 99, for example STAGING_RT_PRIORITY_SERVER=60
Old 09-27-2018, 04:53 AM   #18
eric71

Thanks, osxmidi - I will try that when I get a chance (probably tomorrow) and report back about if it helped.
eric71 is offline   Reply With Quote