Old 03-26-2015, 06:59 PM   #321
X. O. Apodo
Human being with feelings

It is obvious that judging from this thread that improved midi implementation such as adding more midi Fx and Midi piano roll editing is an important feature request from the Reaper user base. For me if Reaper 5 has improved Midi implantation and ARA it would instantly become my one and only exclusive DAW and I will go unto the masses and loudly proclaim its virtues so others may shout “WOW what a great DAW Reaper is” and make great music so that world may rejoice. And further more …

Last edited by X. O. Apodo; 03-26-2015 at 08:38 PM.
X. O. Apodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:26 PM   #322
MikComposer

There is more issues with midi and its workflow in reaper, then we can even remember.

Again, midi is my primary thing. I went to reaper not knowing much about sequencing midi thought, other then using fl and guitar tab in the past, but after 4 years I completely understand what is essential for efficient workflow. And I did fell for false advertising too. I've lost and am loosing loads of precious time. My passion for writing music almost completely deteriorated with years of using reaper! As it stands, currently I spend more time fighting with the most clunky interface I have ever used, then actually writing music, and making money. UX gets 1/10 from me. I have to rush things, just to get them out of the door. Simultaneously, working with reapers tracks is unique, having kontakt on the same track as midi is great, but it makes super hard for switching to another, probably temporary daw anyway, like studio one, and learning completely new way of workflow. ( )

Just today I was met with new bugs and new interface inconsistencies. Notice in attached picture how timeline doesn't align with bars at 3/4th. It made super hard for me to know where I'm exactly at. Also, moving midi items in this setting, snaps in between horizontal lines ( not on the pic )! Other thing, that there is no different colour for lines that are referencing full bars. This is basic thing to have those things working flowles!!

I will in did write a new, extensive post about all things that need to change and improve, when I'll have a longer moment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg align.jpg (51.6 KB, 182 views)
Old 03-26-2015, 08:38 PM   #323
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikComposer View Post
And I did fell for false advertising too.
Strange, I wasn't aware of REAPER doing any advertising. Are you able to recall any details of this?
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:46 PM   #324
MikComposer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
Strange, I wasn't aware of REAPER doing any advertising. Are you able to recall any details of this?
On front page.

"REAPER is digital audio workstation software: a complete multitrack audio and MIDI recording, editing, processing, mixing, and mastering environment. "

Reaper is far away from being COMPLETE. Reaper is working alpha of a daw that is complete somewhere up in someones imagination.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:20 PM   #325
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Reaper is working alpha of a daw
Ah I see! You are of course entitled to your opinion ....
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:36 AM   #326
keyman_sam

Quote:
There is more issues with midi and its workflow in reaper, then we can even remember.

Again, midi is my primary thing. I went to reaper not knowing much about sequencing midi thought, other then using fl and guitar tab in the past, but after 4 years I completely understand what is essential for efficient workflow. And I did fell for false advertising too. I've lost and am loosing loads of precious time. My passion for writing music almost completely deteriorated with years of using reaper! As it stands, currently I spend more time fighting with the most clunky interface I have ever used, then actually writing music, and making money. UX gets 1/10 from me. I have to rush things, just to get them out of the door. Simultaneously, working with reapers tracks is unique, having kontakt on the same track as midi is great, but it makes super hard for switching to another, probably temporary daw anyway, like studio one, and learning completely new way of workflow. ( )

Just today I was met with new bugs and new interface inconsistencies. Notice in attached picture how timeline doesn't align with bars at 3/4th. It made super hard for me to know where I'm exactly at. Also, moving midi items in this setting, snaps in between horizontal lines ( not on the pic )! Other thing, that there is no different colour for lines that are referencing full bars. This is basic thing to have those things working flowles!!

I will in did write a new, extensive post about all things that need to change and improve, when I'll have a longer moment.
Mik, I can understand what you're going through. It sounds to me like you need to start looking at other DAWs. My gut feeling says you are more likely to be at home with Cubase than with Reaper.
keyman_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:43 AM   #327
edkilp

^^^ This ^^^^ and I also think I would have switched years ago if I was going broke and losing my passion for writing music. Is that a true statement, or are you just being dramatic to get your point across?

If it's that big of a problem, you should definitely be looking for an alternative. I don't use MIDI for much besides drums, and it's perfectly adequate for my simple needs. Hope you find something that works for you. If you're waiting for Reaper to become the ultimate MIDI DAW, you may be waiting a lot longer than you want to.
edkilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 01:31 AM   #328
Mink99

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkilp View Post
^^^ This ^^^^ and I also think I would have switched years ago if I was going broke and losing my passion for writing music. Is that a true statement, or are you just being dramatic to get your point across?

If it's that big of a problem, you should definitely be looking for an alternative. I don't use MIDI for much besides drums, and it's perfectly adequate for my simple needs. Hope you find something that works for you. If you're waiting for Reaper to become the ultimate MIDI DAW, you may be waiting a lot longer than you want to.
So you suggest, that, if someone use midi extensively, he/she should quit reaper ?

Please be aware that these complaints do not come from a single user, but from a (not so small ) group of users, all of them are struggling with midi related stuff.. You do not need midi (external ) at all, so why should anyone else need it? Ok let them leave, revoke their licenses....

If you do not use midi then please hold back your in this case completely useless opinion....

Last edited by Mink99; 03-27-2015 at 01:55 AM.
Mink99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:13 AM   #329
MikComposer

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyman_sam View Post
Mik, I can understand what you're going through. It sounds to me like you need to start looking at other DAWs. My gut feeling says you are more likely to be at home with Cubase than with Reaper.
I would give cubase a shot, but at the moment of writing I don't have sufficient founds.

The thing is, I like the premise of reaper tracks arming, and I want it to the whole daw be really good. I have experience in designing interfaces and with my experience in writing music I know exactly what would make great and efficient sequencer. I know it can be if devs will work all important things in to r5. But if nothing changes, sooner or later, I will most probably decide to switch.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:15 AM   #330
Lazarus

Quote:
Here's a picture of what Cubase can do when you zoom out (this goes from 4/4 to 6/8)...

Ewww... why they not semplify?!?!

I should add that items are supposed to snap to grid settings, not to visible grid which will always show arbitrary bars dependent on zoom level. This is normal behaviour. I agree that bar lines should be highlighted, but this isn't an issue relevant to zoomed out content. For your issue, look at this Cubase shot at another zoom level...

You'll notice that the grid lines are a lot closer than in your image. You can allow Reaper to display more grid lines by changing the minimum line spacing to something like 4 pixels (via Snap dialogue).

I am sure you will agree though that Reaper is the epitome of elegance compared to those screenshots of the mighty 'base.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:49 AM   #331
MikComposer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
Here's a picture of what Cubase can do when you zoom out (this goes from 4/4 to 6/8)...

Ewww... why they not semplify?!?!

I should add that items are supposed to snap to grid settings, not to visible grid which will always show arbitrary bars dependent on zoom level. This is normal behaviour. I agree that bar lines should be highlighted, but this isn't an issue relevant to zoomed out content. For your issue, look at this Cubase shot at another zoom level...

You'll notice that the grid lines are a lot closer than in your image. You can allow Reaper to display more grid lines by changing the minimum line spacing to something like 4 pixels (via Snap dialogue).

I am sure you will agree though that Reaper is the epitome of elegance compared to those screenshots of the mighty 'base.
WOW. In did this looks outrages. Can't believe that this is still happening in the latest version!
Old 03-27-2015, 07:58 AM   #332
edkilp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink99 View Post
So you suggest, that, if someone use midi extensively, he/she should quit reaper ?

Please be aware that these complaints do not come from a single user, but from a (not so small ) group of users, all of them are struggling with midi related stuff.. You do not need midi (external ) at all, so why should anyone else need it? Ok let them leave, revoke their licenses....

If you do not use midi then please hold back your in this case completely useless opinion....
Perhaps you need a quick course in reading comprehension. The man said he is losing the passion for writing music because of the MIDI shortcomings in Reaper. If this is the case, then yes, I definitely suggest he quit Reaper and find something that suits him.

Never did I suggest that MIDI was unimportant, or that the problems with Reaper MIDI don't exist. I also told the guy that I hope he finds something that works for him. I was not being an ass, I was not being dismissive. Quite the contrary. I feel bad for him.

When a person feels like they no longer have the passion to write music, and the MIDI problems are costing them time and money, then I honestly feel that it is irresponsible of us to NOT advise them to look elsewhere.

Keep the discussion on track, and stop looking for someone to pounce on. Read everything carefully, and try to be sure that you understand what is being said before you go on the attack. K? Thanks.
edkilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 01:22 PM   #333
Lazarus

Quote:
WOW. In did this looks outrages. Can't believe that this is still happening in the latest version!
That's C5 to be fair, I don't know if that's acknowledged as an issue let alone fixed but it does show that it's not perfect. Having used Cubase for years I could list a bunch of stuff I don't like about it, but this is all a bit of a personal journey and some people literally don't use or care about stuff that other people find life-threateningly important. Or they use the same stuff differently. For example, I don't really care about that wonky timeline. Not much anyway.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:00 PM   #334
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
That's C5 to be fair, I don't know if that's acknowledged as an issue let alone fixed but it does show that it's not perfect. Having used Cubase for years I could list a bunch of stuff I don't like about it, but this is all a bit of a personal journey and some people literally don't use or care about stuff that other people find life-threateningly important. Or they use the same stuff differently. For example, I don't really care about that wonky timeline. Not much anyway.
This is exactly it Lazarus, you hit nail right on the head...

For example, I'm probably one of a few that never use loops, I do all my midi programming from scratch. Consequently all my midi items are full song/project items so that when I'm in the ME I actually get track based midi. Heh heh, that probably solves 70% of the problems everybody else has right there.

I also keep all my midi tracks separate from the VSTi tracks and in fact, I can't even imagine doing it any other way. However, I should mention I use mostly Kontakt.

I must say and admit though, my needs today are much simpler then they were 10, 15 years ago. No data dumps, no outboard gear anymore (strictly VSTis). No needs of syncing up anything on the outside. Actually I still have 3 of my outboard keyboard samplers and synths along with 4 sound modules, however I sampled all the best parts of them back when I got Kontakt 2, so I guess in a sense I'm still using them but in a much simpler way.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:06 PM   #335
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
For example, I'm probably one of a few that never use loops, I do all my midi programming from scratch.
This statement makes no sense to me - you can program MIDI from scratch, yet play it in a loop.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:14 PM   #336
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
This statement makes no sense to me - you can program MIDI from scratch, yet play it in a loop.
Heh heh, are you just making joke.

If not, you're absolutely right Banned, but they are two totally different things, right?
Old 03-27-2015, 02:14 PM   #337
keyman_sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
He meant audio loops.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:16 PM   #338
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyman_sam View Post
He meant audio loops.
And or midi loops.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:36 PM   #339
keyman_sam

Quote:
I would give cubase a shot, but at the moment of writing I don't have sufficient founds.

The thing is, I like the premise of reaper tracks arming, and I want it to the whole daw be really good. I have experience in designing interfaces and with my experience in writing music I know exactly what would make great and efficient sequencer. I know it can be if devs will work all important things in to r5. But if nothing changes, sooner or later, I will most probably decide to switch.
I'm in the switching process myself due to MIDI and I'm just waiting to work on another song or two which will completely be in Cubase (to get comfortable with it) since all my current work is in reaper.