Old 03-07-2010, 06:43 AM   #1
Counting Wings
Human being with feelings

Default Problems With latency.....I think

Hi, just recently Started using reaper to record. I am using two microphones going through an alesis io2 to my laptop/reaper. Recording is fine, but sometimes when I'm recording and also when I'm just listening back to sound will just brake up, the audio will still play but it's through all this other sound. This also happens quite often when I try to add on fx.
Also once this has started singing in to the microphone has the same effect.
I think this is a problem in some setting on reaper as I've switched to a different io2 with the same results. I think I may have the latency set wrong, but I'm not sure. This also only seems to affect the sound I'm hearing because the actual audio records fine. The only way I have of sorting this out at the moment is to close the project and re-open it, which make it go back to normal. If any one has any idea what's happening I'd be really grateful.
Counting Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:02 AM   #2
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Welcome to the forums!

Not sure if I understand the problem exactly - what do you mean by "sound break up"? Is it getting crackles and dropouts or are you getting a deteriorating sound quality or some "digital noise" overlaying the sound?

What laptop make/model is that exactly?
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:47 AM   #3
Counting Wings

Hi thanks. Once it starts it's none stop crackles until I close reaper and then it returns to normal.
but it also distorts the sound
I have a dell inspiron1545 and it has 3GB of ram and an intel celeron cpu of 2.20 ghz.

I have just tried unplugging the io2 and plugging the headphones directly in to the laptop and I think the problem might have gone which would suggest that the io2 doesn't work very well with reaper or something is wrong with the io2...

Last edited by Counting Wings; 03-07-2010 at 08:02 AM. Reason: had more to say
Old 03-07-2010, 09:35 AM   #4
strangedogs

I had issues kinda like that - turn off your wireless card when recording - I just disconnect from the network entirely in Windows 7.
strangedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:39 AM   #5
Ollie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counting Wings View Post
directly in to the laptop and I think the problem might have gone which would suggest that the io2 doesn't work very well with reaper or something is wrong with the io2...
Does that mean the IO2 works with other hosts? That would imply it has a problem with Reaper indeed. But there are users running an IO2, so that appears to be unlikely. I have seen a few issues though, example: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=52207 (There are some suggestions in that thread)

You could try different drivers for the IO2 or ASIO4ALL instead. "Snap, crackle and pop" can have lots of sources but your description sounds like the USB connection is going into a bad state at some point, that would point to a driver issue.

- What are your ASIO buffer settings?

- Can you try the onboard chip with ASIO4ALL, are you getting crackling there too? (These problems mostly only show up when you're using low latency)
Old 03-07-2010, 10:14 AM   #6
Counting Wings

Hi, thanks I'll try disconnecting from the network. Also I'll try getting the asio for all driver, cause at the moment I think that is the problem. Everything worked fine with the headphones plugged straight in to the laptop and using a differn't driver "direct sound" wihich was in reaper. I then tried using the alesis io2 with "direct sound" which still worked fine for playback and also picked up the signal from the microphones but I had no control over the volume. So I think my problem is with the driver?
Is there any of the other drivers in reaper that might work better, or do you think ASIO4ALL is the best option?
My asio buffer settings are at the reaper default of 1200...could that be causing it?
Also as far as I know the alesis io2 works fine with cubase which is the recording program that was bundled with it, but I haven't used cubase for a while...
Old 03-07-2010, 10:25 AM   #7
Ollie

Quote:
Hi, thanks I'll try disconnecting from the network.
That's highly recommended on most laptops but for sure on all Dell laptops.

Quote:
Also I'll try getting the asio for all driver, cause at the moment I think that is the problem. Everything worked fine with the headphones plugged straight in to the laptop and using a differn't driver "direct sound" wihich was in reaper.
That is not a low latency driver (which is not necessarily a problem when you don't play virtual instruments or ampsims), that means any problems with the ASIO (=low latency) driver or configuration problems affecting low latency don't show up then.

Quote:
Is there any of the other drivers in reaper that might work better, or do you think ASIO4ALL is the best option?
The best option is a good, fast and stable vendor ASIO driver. WDM, DirectSound or WaveOut are standard Windows driver models which will do.

Quote:
My asio buffer settings are at the reaper default of 1200...could that be causing it?
No, that's the Reaper media buffer size. Look at the top right corner of the main Reaper window, that's where the ASIO buffers / latency times are shown. You can set that only in the control panel for your IO2 driver (or in the ASIO4ALL control panel if you use that instead).
Old 03-07-2010, 12:23 PM   #8
Counting Wings

Oh...sorry, yeah I've found it now, and I've changed the buffer size, which I think might have sorted it, or at least improved it vastly. It read something like 5.8/52ms and now it reads 19/179ms. I've also downloaded asio4all as well, so I should be O.K. now. Thanks for your help, plus giving me a friendly welcome in to the reaper forums, Sam:-)
Old 03-07-2010, 01:19 PM   #9
Fabian

Count, try also to disable the battery controller, ACPI. I have to do that on both my Dell laptops.