Old 06-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #1
mrkristopher
Human being with feelings

Default 16 bit vs. 24 bit experiment

I rendered my project to three files: a 24 bit file, a 16 bit file, and a 16 bit file with dithering. I put the files in a project and compared each file (only two at a time) to each other file with the phase (polarity) inverted on one file but not the other. (Doing this lets you hear what differences there are between the files, if there are any.) The 16 bit vs. 16 bit dither showed the lowest volume difference, but they all had subtle differences that mostly showed up in the high end.

Here's the kicker: I took the 24 bit stereo file and rendered it down to 16 bit (no dither), then compared the two with the phase (polarity) inverted. The two files completely cancelled each other out! There were no audio 'leftovers' to be heard.

Is this expected? Why is there extra information when I rendered down the entire project and not any when I rendered down the stereo track? It would seem that a stereo 24 bit file is exactly the same as a 16 bit stereo file as far as audible audio is concerned!

Maybe I did something wrong? Has this been done before in another thread? Is this old news?
Old 06-08-2013, 10:25 PM   #2
airon
Human being with feelings

24-bit without the least significant 8 bits = 16 bit render without dither.

For some cold hard facts about all this stuff, here's an informative video by Monty of Xiph.org :

https://www.xiph.org/video/vid2.shtml

Btw, a great bit depth visualizer that's also free is here: http://www.stillwellaudio.com/plugins/specials/bitter/
airon is offline   Reply With Quote