COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > NINJAM Discussion > NINJAM User Discussion

Old 11-25-2009, 09:33 AM   #1
user7776543
Human being with feelings

Default How to send Ableton's audio into Ninjam client?

I have decided to try and use Ableton as a source for audio, instead of Reaper (I want to experiment with on-the-fly, in-jam looping, and I don't see how Reaper can do that).

I had tried to slave Ableton into Reaper-running-Ninjam, but since Reaper takes the ASIO drivers, Ableton must use ReaRoute ASIO, and I can't get my guitar live through Ableton then.

I also tried to send the guitar from Reaper into Ableton, and then back to Reaper-running-Ninjam, but I'm not getting any audio signal in Ableton doing it that way, so it defeats my purpose of wanting to have my audio in Ableton to do looping with.

So my most recent solution is, I thought I could run everything out of Ableton, and send Ableton's signal into the Ninjam client, which I believe can run on ReaRoute ASIO.

But, I'm not getting any signal in Ninjam Client. Can anyone help me with the setup of Ableton into Ninjam Client?

I realize this is an obscure type of request. Thanks much for any help.
user7776543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:44 PM   #2
pljones

Get JACK for Windows.

Set up JACK to use your soundcard's ASIO ports.

Use JackRouter ASIO in all other ASIO applications.

Use QJackCTL to connect the ASIO applications together.
pljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:47 PM   #3
user7776543

Heh, well, even figuring out how to extract and set up Jack was an exercise in ingenuity, but I managed.

Getting Jack to use my soundcard's ASIO ports? I'm not sure if the standard 1.9.3 installation does that by default or not.

Both Ableton and Reaper dislike Jack as a driver... give very fusy messages.

And finally, I haven't the faintest idea how to get any information into QJackCtl! The Connect and Patchbay windows are infinitely cryptic, and suggest absolutely no way to get any sort of information into those dialogue boxes!

You wouldn't happen to have a link to a setup/config page, would you? I couldn't find anything verbose enough for my needs.
user7776543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:48 AM   #4
pljones

I don't know how you managed to get 1.9.3 as 1.9.4 is what's easiest to find on the Jack Downloads page http://jackaudio.org/download .

I must agree that bundling the installer in with the rest of the source, etc, is needlessly tedious.

No, Jack will use your system default sound subsystem by default... which is probably basic Windows Audio.

You need to click the QJackCtl "Setup" button to go into setup.

In "Server Path", change it to "jackd -S -X winmme" (I forget what -S does; -X winmme adds MIDI support). Change the driver to "portaudio". Change the "Input Device" (using the ">" button) to your ASIO driver of choice (actually, I'm using DirectSound and find it's okay but I recommend ASIO if you have it). Repeat for "Output Device".

Note that Jack won't change sample rate whilst running: it is rate locked. So set the Sample Rate to the most appropriate value.

Flip along to the Misc tab; tick appropriately. I don't like being asked if it's okay to close and shutdown jack, so I untick those. I like the tray icon, so I tick that and start up minimised to tray.

Click the tick, then stop (if needed) and start Jack.

Now start Reaper. Bring up the Audio Device panel. Set the ASIO Driver to JackRouter; the default ins and outs should be okay.

If you open the QJackCtl Connections window, you should see that "reaper" has connected outputs to "system". Which is OK for a start. Add a track and set it up to take input from Reaper's input pair.

Now over to Live. (Or, in my case, MU.LAB.) Follow the same procedure as with Reaper to configure JackRouter.

Back over in QJackCtl, you'll see Live has also connected to the first two "system" outputs. We want to connect through Reaper, though. Simple. In the QJackCtl Connections window:
*) Click "Live" (or however it's identified) on the left.
*) Click "reaper" on the right.
*) Click the Connect button.
*) Click "system" on the right.
*) Click the Disconnect button.

Test it by loading up a project in Live and playing back.

(The QJackCTL patch bay lets you save a set of connections... but it's far from perfect.)
Old 11-26-2009, 10:56 AM   #5
AndyMc

Hiya m8, on install of REAPER select to install Rewire also.
Then run REAPER, then make a track, goto FX of that track, You should see Rewire and hopefully see Ableton's Rewire there, select it then it will load and you have it routed into REAPER.
If you don't see it in Rewire in REAPER then Run Ableton, try running it first then REAPER, also if no show then run REAPER then Ableton, each time checking in FX of the track for Rewire under the ADD button.

If you have to use ReaRoute ASIO then set REAPER to your Cards ASIO or Asio4All which ever one your using, then set Ableton to ReaRoute ASIO.
Make a Track on REAPER, Arm it, set Speaker icon on Track (monitor) to solid white (so it sends to ReaNINJAM on Master FX), then set the input for the track to ReaRoute 1/ ReaRoute 2, then on Albleton set its output to ReaRoute 1 and 2.

I'm not sure if Ableton outputs the Metronome on it to a separate out but if it does just use Rearoute 3 /4 then make another track but set speaker icon to hollow, outline only. This will allow you to hear Abletons Metronome but no one in NINJAM will, ideal for syncing.

Hope this helps, sorry if I re'd anything anyone else had said, I was linked to it and just rushed through what was or wasn't there so might have doubled what has already been said.
AndyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:39 AM   #6
Komuso

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMc View Post
Hiya m8, on install of REAPER select to install Rewire also.
Then run REAPER, then make a track, goto FX of that track, You should see Rewire and hopefully see Ableton's Rewire there, select it then it will load and you have it routed into REAPER.
If you don't see it in Rewire in REAPER then Run Ableton, try running it first then REAPER, also if no show then run REAPER then Ableton, each time checking in FX of the track for Rewire under the ADD button.

If you have to use ReaRoute ASIO then set REAPER to your Cards ASIO or Asio4All which ever one your using, then set Ableton to ReaRoute ASIO.
Make a Track on REAPER, Arm it, set Speaker icon on Track (monitor) to solid white (so it sends to ReaNINJAM on Master FX), then set the input for the track to ReaRoute 1/ ReaRoute 2, then on Albleton set its output to ReaRoute 1 and 2.

I'm not sure if Ableton outputs the Metronome on it to a separate out but if it does just use Rearoute 3 /4 then make another track but set speaker icon to hollow, outline only. This will allow you to hear Abletons Metronome but no one in NINJAM will, ideal for syncing.

Hope this helps, sorry if I re'd anything anyone else had said, I was linked to it and just rushed through what was or wasn't there so might have doubled what has already been said.

Yay! It works!
See latest Reaper manual Page 395 http://www.reaper.fm/userguide.php section 21.3

Thanks Andy for a pointer in the right direction.
RTFM also helps! doh!
Komuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:37 PM   #7
zerocool

Quote:
Originally Posted by pljones View Post
Get JACK for Windows.

Use JackRouter ASIO in all other ASIO applications.

Use QJackCTL to connect the ASIO applications together.
Hi,

"Get JACK for Windows. ( This was easy.)

Unfortunately, Ableton Live is sluggish on my Ubuntu partition, so using 'sudo apt get' to install this on my Windows 7 x64 is not going to cut it.

Do you know of any documentation that describes, step by step, how to compile JACK in windows. I'm a big noob when it comes to this kind of stuff, but i can follow instructions. The readme files that came with JACK assume that I know my way around MS Visual Studio, which i clearly do not.
zerocool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:09 AM   #8
pljones

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocool View Post
Unfortunately, Ableton Live is sluggish on my Ubuntu partition, so using 'sudo apt get' to install this on my Windows 7 x64 is not going to cut it.

Do you know of any documentation that describes, step by step, how to compile JACK in windows. I'm a big noob when it comes to this kind of stuff, but i can follow instructions. The readme files that came with JACK assume that I know my way around MS Visual Studio, which i clearly do not.
The easiest way to get JACK for Windows is:
1) Go to the JACK website
-- Unfortunately broken right now. Here's an alternative: http://www.grame.fr/~letz/jackdmp.html
2) Download JACK for Windows
-- http://www.grame.fr/~letz/jack-1.9.5.tgz
3) Install it
-- You may need 7-Zip to handle the tgz file on Windows.
-- Extract everything and look in ...\jack-1.9.5\bin\windows\
-- Run Jack_v1.9.5_setup.exe

Unfortunately, I've had no luck at all with 1.9.5 -- it insists on using my primary sound output. You may have more luck with 1.9.4 (from the above site) - I've not tried that (again?) yet.

When you're installing, make sure JackRouter is going to be installed.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:14 PM   #9
AndyMc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komuso View Post
Yay! It works!
See latest Reaper manual Page 395 http://www.reaper.fm/userguide.php section 21.3
Solved.
AndyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:44 AM   #10
gsbe

Is there an easier way besides rewire into reaper to get the audio from ableton live into ninjam on a mac?
gsbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:02 PM   #11
to_the_sun

I would like to do the opposite: get audio from reaper/Ninjam and send it TO Ableton Live. Is it possible to route it that way as well?
to_the_sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:33 AM   #12
pljones

Do it with Jack and the answer is yes.

You can also use Reaper's built-in virtual audio cable if you're okay with using Reaper's built-in NINJAM client.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:05 PM   #13
to_the_sun

Thanks for the quick reply. That sounds good. Ideally I would like to avoid using reaper altogether, so is there any way (possibly using Jack?) to use the standalone Ninjam and get it to output its audio to Ableton?
Old 04-15-2015, 11:29 PM   #14
pljones

Yes if you use Jack. Get and install the latest Jack for Windows. Also register both 32bit and 64bit JackRouter ASIO drivers. I start Jack with the following:
Code:
jackd.exe -d portaudio -d "ASIO::ASIO Echo FireWire" -c 6 -r 48000 -p 0
but you will want to adjust the parameters (do "jackd -d portaudio -h" for the options).

Once you have Jack running, JackRouter acts in place of your existing ASIO input / output in any application. You can then use Jack Control (qjackctl.exe) to "wire up" connections between applications.

Your Live output then should wire to Ninjam's input and Ninjam's output to your soundcard's playback.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:36 PM   #15
to_the_sun

Thanks for your instructions, I'm done trying for today though. Ninjam kept freezing on me. I was able to select JackRouter in Ninjam once though. Is it at that point that I should be able to see it under the connections in qjackctl? Jack never appeared as an option in Live however. In fact, if Live was already open, starting up jackd.exe would cause an error and fail.

What parameters exactly am I going to want to adjust? Will I want to increase the number of inputs and outputs with -i and -o?

I assume the ASIO Echo FireWire part refers to your specific interface/soundcard right? What would I want to replace that with? I'm using just my laptop which has no special soundcard, just ASIO4ALL.

Oh, and as far as registering both 32bit and 64bit JackRouter ASIO drivers, what does that entail? Would that be part of the standard installation? My Jack folder does have both a 32bits and a 64bits folder in it.

Anyway, thanks again.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:22 PM   #16
pljones

Jackd acts as your soundcard. It has to be there before anything else, otherwise it won't be seen. Indeed, if something else has taken control of your physical soundcard, Jack can't -- just like no other ASIO application could.

JackRouter will freeze unless Jack is running. That's another reason you need Jack started first.