Old 10-25-2020, 03:50 AM   #1
mdejoode
Human being with feelings

Default Using loops in midi slave mode

Hi, in my normal workflow I make a lot of use of loops (select a few bars and make it loop). But sometimes me and my friends come together to jam with computers with reaper, but also a lot of hardware synths, which are synced with a midi clock coming from a Arturia Keystep Pro. My reaper is mostly in midi Slave mode (MTC or SPP) on these jam sessions. This works, but the problem is, in midi Slave mode I can't use loops anymore, it just goes further on the timeline. The workaround is to copy my short midi files on the tracks for 3 hours or something, but that's not a creative way of making music, while working with loops is supercreative (in my opinion). Another workaround is to use other sequencers, but I find the midi editor is reaper really good as sequencer.

So my question: is there a way to make use of loops in reaper while in midi Slave mode?

I've searched the forum but couldn't find an answer.
mdejoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 02:03 PM   #2
TonE

Why not making Reaper master instead?
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:02 PM   #3
mdejoode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Why not making Reaper master instead?
Hi TonE, thanks for your reply. Most of the time we use hardware to send the master clock. We could use Reaper as master clock, but we plan to use multiple laptops with Reaper, so in that case we still have one or more Reaper laptops in slave mode. So that's why we search for a solution to use loops in midi slave mode.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:30 PM   #4
TonE

Two ideas (using tricks) for your situation.

1. Send to all Reaper laptops tempo via osc events, so they should have always same tempo in bpm.

2. Now they could be still out of sync, for this you might try another second trick, something like stopping music and starting immediately again, just for resync purposes, you could trigger this command in musically fitting moments, like breaks so listeners think this is part of the music.

I hope these help you eventually, at least you have something more to try.

Trick 1 I am using myself, I am changing tempo of Reaper via osc (with the help of oscii-bot), then you can load a midi-clock vst* which can go to all your other hardware. So slaving the hardware should be not the problem at all. Only how to sync the other Reaper laptops, for that you could try trick number 2. Good luck.

* http://antonsavov.net/cms/projects/as_xc3.html
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 01:10 PM   #5
mdejoode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Two ideas (using tricks) for your situation.

1. Send to all Reaper laptops tempo via osc events, so they should have always same tempo in bpm.

2. Now they could be still out of sync, for this you might try another second trick, something like stopping music and starting immediately again, just for resync purposes, you could trigger this command in musically fitting moments, like breaks so listeners think this is part of the music.

I hope these help you eventually, at least you have something more to try.

Trick 1 I am using myself, I am changing tempo of Reaper via osc (with the help of oscii-bot), then you can load a midi-clock vst* which can go to all your other hardware. So slaving the hardware should be not the problem at all. Only how to sync the other Reaper laptops, for that you could try trick number 2. Good luck.

* http://antonsavov.net/cms/projects/as_xc3.html
Hi TonE, thanks for your tricks, it sounds like this should work! We are going to try this and I will post how this works out. Thanks!