Old 12-03-2010, 05:49 AM   #81
Subz
Human being with feelings
 
Subz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 2,963
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXix View Post
do some actual testing and report some bugs. If you aren't prepared to do that then you shouldn't be playing with an ALPHA version of the product.
Yes!

Under normal standards a Alpha build would only go to a few "in the know" testers that are totally aware of the Alpha process,

things will be added, removed, Changed, Renamed, made a different color, put upside down ..... ect

But i also Blame Cockos! if your going to make your Alphas & betas open to the public then you will always get negative responses of no constructive use,

you cant blame the user they just want to know whats coming in V4 & why its not fully working yet

Subz
Subz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:19 AM   #82
pc999
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 354
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jens View Post
Why is Linux important? You can run it Reaper on any Windows, you can run it on any Mac, so you can run it on any machine!

There is absolutely no reasonable need for a Linux version.


Because I hate MS and cant afford a MAC!!!




Now a little more serious (although I do not like MS and only a little more of Apple).

Have you (recently) ever tried a nice Linux distro Like Ubuntu or Linux Mint?

If you dont I really advice to at least in a old PC take the very litle time it is need to and try instal it.

And it is better in every single way for netbooks (unless you run reaper in a netbook).

It is just a better OS, it is faster, visually amazing, stable, use less resources (even with KDE tops at 350MB), easier to manage, and have better pre configurations. Plus you will not need to look for codecs, Also for multimedia and the like it does have more and better software instaled.

Even from a serious use POV it does bring much more things like free office and more.



Plus it is free, and for something as important as the digital is in our days I really think we should support open OS. And when we can not give even more power to company's that use a monopoly to sell us overpriced "%&%$$#""# that we absolutely need to (in these days) our daily lives. I dont even think it is wrong to pirate OS when they exercise such a pressure on us. (does this looks like a ad of a good product https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzdyk...layer_embedded )

In many cases Windows is 1/3 to 1/2 of the price of a lower end PC (currently a dual core one), and for some people that is to much, it is also more than 5x the price of reaper, one paying for Windows does lose money that could use to buy Reaper.




Anyway that is just to say that I think a Linux version would be important and I would certainly use and encourage other to use it.
________
LIVE SEX WEBSHOWS

Last edited by pc999; 08-22-2011 at 04:58 PM.
pc999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:34 AM   #83
plamuk
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,221
Default

a linux version is important, but it's not a priority in my opinion
and i have a linux partition on every computer i own, + 42 of the computers i maintain at work. i love the OS, but i'd rather see a better REAPER in the meantime - and that's what i see so far.

walter appears to be more than a gui feature, and more than a workflow feature. it has the potential of being the ultimate context tool, among many other things.
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:39 AM   #84
pitpat
Human being with feelings
 
pitpat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 299
Default Linux version

Linux Version.. Please Please! I've been managing so far W(h)ining Reaper and FL studio - And so far not so bad. A native Linux version would be awesome and definitely get a good market share for reaper. There's a huge vacuum in the professional media software dept.

BTW, Has anybody managed to get Reaper 4 Alpha successfully running on Linux?
pitpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:08 PM   #85
vidalsh
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: madrid/spain
Posts: 892
Default

to be sincere, reaper v.4 is a total desilusion for now (for me)
vidalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:33 PM   #86
cockOHS
Human being with feelings
 
cockOHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 132
Default

+i'm lost. how does one use elastique pro on r4? in r3 there used to be a box for how many semitones you wanna adjust. can't find it in r4.

+foldering was easier on r3 because of the idiot-proof icons. it's a bit too subtle with the plus/minus icons now.

+love the width under the pan in the IO dialog box.

+is there a way to assigning outputs/inputs/sends consecutively? i.e. if i want the 10 tracks i just made to have outputs 1-2,3-4,5-6, etc... in PT its opt-cmd for consecutive and shift-opt for the same.

will continue to work with it and see what i see.
cockOHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:00 PM   #87
dub3000
Human being with feelings
 
dub3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,831
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockOHS View Post
+i'm lost. how does one use elastique pro on r4? in r3 there used to be a box for how many semitones you wanna adjust. can't find it in r4.
Select item, hit F2, "Pitch Adjust (semitones)" is above "Preserve Pitch" - in the middle. Or just select item and hit shift 9/0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockOHS View Post
+foldering was easier on r3 because of the idiot-proof icons. it's a bit too subtle with the plus/minus icons now.
You can drag tracks into other tracks.
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:49 PM   #88
vocalid
Human being with feelings
 
vocalid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Middle of nowhere (where the cheese comes from)
Posts: 483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitpat View Post
Linux Version.. Please Please! I've been managing so far W(h)ining Reaper and FL studio - And so far not so bad. A native Linux version would be awesome and definitely get a good market share for reaper. There's a huge vacuum in the professional media software dept.

BTW, Has anybody managed to get Reaper 4 Alpha successfully running on Linux?
There's someone in the professional media who uses Linux?!? I thought they were all Apple fundamentalists
vocalid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:49 AM   #89
stylimusic
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 31
Default

Looking great so far...

New UI has really grown on me and lovin the new features

JUST WANT PROPER FREEZE!!
stylimusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 05:54 AM   #90
Amberience
Human being with feelings
 
Amberience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: swing on the spiral of our divinity
Posts: 2,046
Default

A Linux version is not important at all, in my opinion.

Look at what happened to EnergyXT2. Poor dev's spent so much time on developing for linux that it really just fell by the wayside. Still riddled with bugs to this day too.

People who use Linux use it because they don't want to pay for software. Reaper is a PAYWARE program - it isn't free, no matter how generous the license is. I really don't see people moving to Linux for audio, and the few people who already do use it for audio tend to use it as a secondary audio editor or something like that.

Just ime.
__________________
Amberience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:35 AM   #91
karl
Human being with feelings
 
karl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sheffield, England
Posts: 486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberience View Post
Look at what happened to EnergyXT2.
Yeah, and as I understand it, the Windows version of XT2 works better on Linux under wine than the native version anyway! Plus, it means you can use vsts!
karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:55 AM   #92
pitpat
Human being with feelings
 
pitpat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocalid View Post
There's someone in the professional media who uses Linux?!? I thought they were all Apple fundamentalists
Hehe, Many of them are, and for good reason. Macs are a great and sturdy platform to work on, from my experience.

I ended up giving Ubuntu 10.4 a shot coz of a frozen windows system, 5 months ago. I ended up sticking with it because of the speed and hassle-free working, Plus no viruses yet - And Yes, i did find it user friendly. Perhaps, i was among the luckier ones - I've heard of many people who haven't had a good first-experience with the penguin.

@Amberience: If Reaper were to come out with a linux version, i'd gladly pay for it once more!

I'm sure a version for Linux may seem unimportant, but there's definitely a vacuum in the Linux DAW segment that can be filled. A Linux version could bring in a whole bunch of professionals who would like a stable DAW in a stable OS thats completely customizable.

Yes, its sad to hear about Energy XT, but isn't the competition in the Windows DAW market the same as well? If a DAW is good, People would buy! And i think Reaper is Really Really good.

BTW, its possible to load windows vsts in linux. I've used the native linux software, LMMS, where i was able to load windows based VSTs within Linux. Its more like a WINE based wrapper.

Again, I wouldn't complain if the devs don't release a linux version. They have their reasons. Plus, Its still great software - I'm just a hobbyist, Can't complain
pitpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:57 PM   #93
habsi
Human being with feelings
 
habsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Austria
Posts: 148
Default I would love a Linux Version

The problem for me is that there are no Linux Drivers for my Soundcard.
habsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:47 AM   #94
joaobgb
Human being with feelings
 
joaobgb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lisboa
Posts: 224
Default

My impression over R4 is really positive (it still is in development), but I was hoping for a new video performance, especially for x64 since ffmpeg still isn't working very well, as they say "causes some hard-to-track weirdness", my biggest problem is actually with the different codecs and with the sound of the video and R4 seems to have the same performance regarding this as R3 has.
joaobgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:38 PM   #95
joaobgb
Human being with feelings
 
joaobgb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lisboa
Posts: 224
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberience View Post
People who use Linux use it because they don't want to pay for software.
Maybe you're just having a bad day, do you know Linux is used in many post-production systems? How can you categorize people like that?
I could say, from my life experience, MAC users are just presumptuous, but I'm pretty sure most of them aren't.
In my opinion your statement goes against all the logic behind companies like Cockos and others (I'm not trying to speak in the name of anyone, that's just my view - as an example you have the focus and ease of costumization which is a important feature in both Reaper and every Linux system). Linux is an OS that, in my oppinon, suffers from bad or lack of support from software companies, and maybe that's what is keeping it from spreading even further (that and the fact that most people don't have the skills nor want to learn to deal with something more complicated than a screen with lots of icons).
I've tried it many times, I've had it in a dual boot mode, but there wasn't enough software available doing what I needed (even worst I didn't have the skills to take real advantage of it), and I've spent a lot of money in music software and hardware which I could not take advantage of in Linux.

I won't use it for now but if Cockos feel they have the time and that it is worth the effort, I'll only applaud.
joaobgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:57 AM   #96
fladd
Human being with feelings
 
fladd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 941
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jens View Post
Why is Linux important? You can run it Reaper on any Windows, you can run it on any Mac, so you can run it on any machine!

There is absolutely no reasonable need for a Linux version.
Of course they can (well, given they have bought one of these two OS of course). But that isn't a proper argument, is it? People can also just install Cubase, or Protools. On any machine. So is there now also no reasonable need for Reaper according to you? I don't get that logic, sorry.
You could also say. why is OS X important, those guys could also istall Windows, or use a PC or whatever. I don't see how your argument holds against one OS, but not to any other.
Or is this just supposed to be some sensless trolling/bashing?

Also, think about this:
People don't want to install a whole operating system just for one programme and reboot into that everytime they want to make som music?

fladd
__________________
www.fladd.de/sound
fladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:22 AM   #97
norbury brook
Human being with feelings
 
norbury brook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London UK
Posts: 1,979
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc999 View Post
Because I hate MS and cant afford a MAC!!!




Now a little more serious (although I do not like MS and only a little more of Apple).

Have you (recently) ever tried a nice Linux distro Like Ubuntu or Linux Mint?

If you dont I really advice to at least in a old PC take the very litle time it is need to and try instal it.

And it is better in every single way for netbooks (unless you run reaper in a netbook).

It is just a better OS, it is faster, visually amazing, stable, use less resources (even with KDE tops at 350MB), easier to manage, and have better pre configurations. Plus you will not need to look for codecs, Also for multimedia and the like it does have more and better software instaled.

Even from a serious use POV it does bring much more things like free office and more.



Plus it is free, and for something as important as the digital is in our days I really think we should support open OS. And when we can not give even more power to company's that use a monopoly to sell us overpriced "%&%$$#""# that we absolutely need to (in these days) our daily lives. I dont even think it is wrong to pirate OS when they exercise such a pressure on us. (does this looks like a ad of a good product https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzdyk...layer_embedded )

In many cases Windows is 1/3 to 1/2 of the price of a lower end PC (currently a dual core one), and for some people that is to much, it is also more than 5x the price of reaper, one paying for Windows does lose money that could use to buy Reaper.




Anyway that is just to say that I think a Linux version would be important and I would certainly use and encourage other to use it.
If you're really serious about your music then a decent PC/Mac doesn't cost a lot of money on the grand scale of things.I mean if you play an instrument seriously then it will cost you $1000's of dollars for a decent saxophone, Bassoon,cello,trumpet etc. 20 years ago you'd be looking at a BIG outlay to achieve what you can do now with a $1500 computer and a bunch of software.I was looking at a bicycle the other day that cost £10,000 ( that's $15,000 to you US guys) my point, if your serious about anything it will cost to get the best.

I've used linux over the last 10 years and it has come on, but it's no where near ready for prime time 2010 audio/midi use.My windows 7 x64 DAW and Laptop are 100% stable,which is more than I can say about my Ubuntu partition I've even had evolution mail freeze up on me.

I've made great albums on Pentium III computers with cubase and gigastudio so even a $500 machine now will be better than that,I made good records with Reaper 1.x for god's sake.

People seem to think they 'need' Macs/pro tools/logic/waves/apogee etc etc to make music, you don't,yes all that's stuff is nice but it doesn't make good records...............you do,and sometimes having restrictions brings out the best in creativity...the Beatles and 4 tracks anybody?.......................................... .........................


MC
__________________
www.norburybrookstudios.com
norbury brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.