Old 12-01-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
schwa
Administrator

Default >> v4: Media Explorer time selection

You can create a time selection within the current media file that is being previewed, and insert only that selection into the project. Create a time selection by dragging the mouse in the Media Explorer peaks preview.

In addition, the peaks preview can be scrolled (shift+drag) or zoomed (mousewheel), and the time selection can be moved left or right (alt+drag). There is a basic grid displayed on the peaks preview (time grid on the top, beat grid on the bottom).
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
jedstar2000
Human being with feelings

Ooops reaper just crashed when using media browser .

Also will it be possible to resize the waveform display in the media editor as on my laptop with the new layout it is almost imposable to scan threw files without resizing the docker

....Edit....

Yep I'm afraid its defiantly flacking out hear.

Make time selection
Trigger using LMB
Trigger using Play button
Random crash.

Also would be nice to include dc line and snap to 0 crossing to avoid glitches when autofades are turned off.

Last edited by jedstar2000; 12-01-2010 at 01:36 PM.
jedstar2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
Solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
You can create a time selection within the current media file that is being previewed, and insert only that selection into the project. Create a time selection by dragging the mouse in the Media Explorer peaks preview.

In addition, the peaks preview can be scrolled (shift+drag) or zoomed (mousewheel), and the time selection can be moved left or right (alt+drag). There is a basic grid displayed on the peaks preview (time grid on the top, beat grid on the bottom).
Hello Schwa!!

Quick question for you... if we download this version, will this version be compatible with SWS with no problem? Also is it safe to install this one and go on with a session or better stick with 3.73?
Thanx and man, this version jsut had a quick look at the new features after installing this one in my laptop quickly and daaaaaaaaaaaaamn!! Soooooooo freaking excited

Thumbs up to Cockos & Cie
Old 12-01-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedstar2000 View Post
Ooops reaper just crashed when using media browser .
This may be fixed in alpha2, now.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #5
henge

Very cool! working well so far.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:22 PM   #6
charmander

No snap to grid?
charmander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:33 PM   #7
PitchSlap

Nice improvements. Thanks for the hard work.

The media explorer has evolved into a really important part of my creative workflow (since start on bar and tempo match were added). Here's a few suggestions that I think could really improve this area in version 4:

Media Explorer Suggestions

-Tab to transient.

-Volume handle on preview waveform.

-Routing to tracks rather than just physical outputs allows hearing the selection in context of the song (track FX), and quickly previewing MIDI files through the desired VSTi.

-Pitch control/playrate flexibility.

-Display playrate information in BPM format when the timebase is BPM (percentage is not musically helpful).

-Slipping the preview with Alt + drag. Maybe by bars/beats in BPM timebase, (milliseconds in linear timebase) so loops can be start at places other than the first beat.

-Added 'Start on bar' flexibility. Perhaps a drop-down menu along the lines of the nudge dialog, so previews can start on beat and bar multiples.

-Insert the media item at the volume it was previewed at.

-Checkbox to have 'stretch to fit' apply to the whole item or just the selection.

-Folder search.

Last edited by PitchSlap; 12-02-2010 at 07:17 PM.
PitchSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:37 PM   #8
musicbynumbers

Default filter search should search sub folders too

Haven't checked yet but if search looked in folders it would be amazing!
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:09 PM   #9
slops

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Haven't checked yet but if search looked in folders it would be amazing!
+ 111111111111111111111111 !!!

searching within subdirectories would be huge for the media explorer's everyday usefulness.
slops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:12 PM   #10
run, megalodon

Now that I've had a taste of area selection in the Media explorer I'm itching for it in the arrange.
run, megalodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:01 PM   #11
jedstar2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
This may be fixed in alpha2, now.
Sorry no dice as soon I start playing around with it , it crashes.

It also crashes if I right click and hover around for a while (the media preview disappears then reaper crashes).It also crashes if i chose unload media preview.

This is just larking about on my internet (toshiba laptop) with realtek on board sound. I will test it on my studio rig tomorrow.

Hope this helps
Old 12-02-2010, 04:29 PM   #12
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedstar2000 View Post
Sorry no dice as soon I start playing around with it , it crashes.

It also crashes if I right click and hover around for a while (the media preview disappears then reaper crashes).It also crashes if i chose unload media preview.

This is just larking about on my internet (toshiba laptop) with realtek on board sound. I will test it on my studio rig tomorrow.

Hope this helps
Confirmed.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #13
PitchSlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by slops View Post

searching within subdirectories would be huge for the media explorer's everyday usefulness.
Totally agreed. One of the biggest limitations at the moment.

Btw, I just tried clicking on a video file in the media explorer and was pleasantly surprised it's audio came up in the preview (not sure if this was in 3.x). This will be great for clipping little samples out of videos and will save me an annoying step. Reaper became unresponsive for a while (with a small file) so maybe there is room for optimization here.

Seeing as the changelog for 4.0 contains the word 'video' once, I'll assume their might still be updates appearing later in the cycle, so if support for time-selection chopping video files could easily too, I'd definitely like to see that.

Last edited by PitchSlap; 12-02-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:40 PM   #14
sfzgeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
-Routing to tracks rather than just physical outputs allows hearing the selection in context of the song (track FX), and quickly previewing MIDI files through the desired VSTi.
That's number one for me. Would love to see this happen!

The other ideas are good too. I would especially like to be able to hear the samples at different pitches. Much more useful to be able to preview samples as you intend to use them in your projects so anything along those lines gets my vote.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:46 PM   #15
Arnar

Yeah , routing the media explorer would be incredible for me.
It does have routing via Rearoute but does not work ...why is that?
Been like that for a long time .

I would like to add one more thing to the media explorer wish list from Pitchslap.
An option where you could play samples into the timeline with the space bar.

Nice for approximate sound placements, might be nice to have a simple input quantiser.

Cool to just play the kick in , not drag it in and place.

Last edited by Arnar; 12-02-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Arnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:07 PM   #16
hopi

I've had a couple crashes, but something else is not quite right:

I have a folder of little 4 bar drum loops...

set the ME to autoplay have the vol a few db below 1 for safety sake

OK play a loop... all's fine... clk another loop, might be OK, clk another and by and by the sound goes to crap... very scratchy sound... clk another might be ok or might be bad...

Now any of the loops that sound bad in ME sound just fine when taken from the ME into the arranger....

sytem = XP SP2, m-audio delta 1010... and this did not happen before V4 alpha 2... oh I see alpha 3 is up... I'll try that
Old 12-03-2010, 05:46 AM   #17
airon

Quote:
Nice improvements. Thanks for the hard work.

The media explorer has evolved into a really important part of my creative workflow (since start on bar and tempo match were added). Here's a few suggestions that I think could really improve this area in version 4:

Media Explorer Suggestions

-Tab to transient.

-Volume handle on preview waveform.
Setting this up to be used in the arrangement is a great thing, especially when coupled with the next suggestion. A zone of the top four pixels of the preview area could be used for the item gain handle. Do NOT shift that handle if you do this. Keep it there and display the item gain value somewhere or simply reflect it with the peak overview scaling.

Quote:
Nice. The I/O dropdown selector would simply need to add "Selected track". +1 all the way.

Quote:
-Pitch control/playrate flexibility.
Sound effects editors use this a lot in Soundminer before spotting sounds via the spot-to-track function in Soundminer. Soundminer renders a copy and then spots that to the target track. It would be excellent to do this non-destructively and make all these decisions without having to commit to anything in the timeline.

Being able to send them through track processing makes for a more accurate preview and less arrangement clutter as well.

Necessary parameters displayed include preserve length checkbox, pitch algorithm and the extra pitch algorithm option dropdown.

Perhaps displaying the pitch parameters could be optional. A nice large slider for the pitch amount would be great. I would sacrifice screenspace to use this, though there's plenty of space in the media explorer left of the volume slider already.

[quote]
-Display playrate information in BPM format when the timebase is BPM (percentage is not musically helpful).
[quote]

Make sure it can be manipulated the same way as the BPM field can. Perhaps the playrate field if displayed

Quote:
-Slipping the preview with Alt + drag. Maybe by bars/beats in BPM timebase, (milliseconds in linear timebase) so loops can be start at places other than the first beat.

-Added 'Start on bar' flexibility. Perhaps a drop-down menu along the lines of the nudge dialog, so previews can start on beat and bar multiples.

-Insert the media item at the volume it was previewed at.
So this would be the items volume slider in the item properties I presume.

Quote:
-Checkbox to have 'stretch to fit' apply to the whole item or just the selection.
Wouldn't that be automatic depending on whether or not the user has made a selection in the media explorer preview ?

Quote:
-Folder search.
Great idea. A recursive search with a "where I'm searching now" indicator and a list of results in their own tab that is highlighted. The tabs name would be the search parameter. Middle-Mouse button click to close tabs. Tabs stay alive but searches have to be re-executed to be updated.

My own suggestion:

- Copy command will copy complete item previewed or selected in media explorer, or a selection of the preview if made. Use arrangement copy shortcut for this for consistency.

- Presets for Pitch, Volume, Item FX for preview purposes. You wouldn't believe how often I use this at facilities that have Soundminer Pro for OSX, which has that exactly!

- Lock pitch, volume and item fx parameters, so they don't reset when choosing a new media item to preview.
airon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:51 PM   #18
jedstar2000

My biggest request

Would be to import media to play cursor on selected track , and audition through selected track......

This would give reaper v4 a much needed boost toward the electronic music producer market . It would effectively allow you to tap out grooves from within the media browser and record them in real time (something that no other serious DAW is capable).

And better integration of media bay actions with main actions would be nice.

EDIT...........

Reaper 4 alpha 3 No unexpected crashes
Some unexpected unloading of preview image wonce section has bean dragged and dropped

Last edited by jedstar2000; 12-03-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:24 PM   #19
fixerdave

Default explorer view

hi, does anyone know if its possible to reduce the height of, or get rid of the preview window in the media explorer? I don't use.I'm using v4 alpha 3 and old v2 default theme. If it needs WALTER then this will be my first go.. thanks dave
fixerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:12 PM   #20
PitchSlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post

Wouldn't that be automatic depending on whether or not the user has made a selection in the media explorer preview ?
Here's an example:

Let's say you have a drum loop with an internally consistent tempo that differs from the project.

Stretch-to-fit will tempo match the whole loop to the project tempo.

All good so far, but what if you just want the first two bars, or a couple of beats from the loop?

Here's where the flexibility I'm requesting comes in handy. Currently (I think) if you make a selection, Reaper recalculates the tempo-stretching based on the selection length, which is not desired in this case because it has already been tempo-matched to the desired playrate based on the entire loop.

When sampling a musical phrase on the other hand (or any item lacking an internally consistent tempo like drums [i.e. not a loop]), in many cases it would make more sense to stretch based on the selected portion only, regardless of what is contained in the rest of the item.

I think having the option to chose what to base the stretching on allows the greatest flexibility when working with 'loops' and non-looped 'raw' samples of differing types...

Hopefully that makes sense.

Last edited by PitchSlap; 12-04-2010 at 01:30 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:32 PM   #21
PitchSlap

One other thing that could help make the Media Explorer 'tracker-fast' for creating drum parts is if there was increased start-on-bar flexibility, like start-on-beat (1/8, 1/16 etc) and a modifier for inserting the sample when triggering it.

Currently Up/Down arrows choose the sample, and Left/Right arrows are play and stop, but what I'd really like to be able to do is 'play' samples onto the timeline!

Having some type of GLOBAL QUANTIZATION (which is really just extended start-on-bar functionality) would keep everything tight, but even without that, it would still be possible to tidy-up the played in samples using the item quantize, just not do it all live/on-the-fly while people are watching and listening...
Old 12-03-2010, 09:20 PM   #22
Arnar

Yeah that , Pitchslap.

Routing MXplorer to tracks would be an incredible addition.

Auditioning loops with start on bar flexibility and loop OFFset.

Audition through fx on a track.

Middle C will trigger your sample in MXplorer and other keys will transpose accordingly.

Play straight to timeline,with quantisation. ( I play Markers at the moment )

Ability to select a *portion* of a sample and play that into the timeline as a single shot (very powerful). With option of basing timestretch on either whole sample length or selection.

Pitch slider !

Realtime sample replacement/auditioning. THIS I would love.

Lets say you want to try out a new kik sample. You select your kick Items , then when selecting a new kik in the Media Explorer you can hear it temporarily replacing the ones you selected. When you find one you like , hit commit.

Allow markers to trigger from the Media explorer.
Arnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:01 AM   #23
plamuk

Quote:
oh man, that's a big one for me.
my master track outputs to 2 stereo pairs, the main one for my monitors and another set for my headphones...if i'm using headphones and decide to play something from media explorer, i have to change the media explorer output every time i switch from headphoens to monitors or vice versa.

likewise, sometimes i use media explorer to play samples into my MPC - however, in this case, i have to listen to the sample w/ the output going to either the monitors or the headphones, and then switch the output to my spdif out (mpc), sample it, and then switch it back to whatever it was before.

if instead the media browser could just output to a track, it'd kill all birds w/ 1 stone because it'd go to all outputs...monitors, headphones, and MPC because that's how i've got my outputs set.
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:15 AM   #24
Subz

Quote:
Originally Posted by slops View Post

+111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Subz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:58 AM   #25
nickmoritz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subz View Post
+111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ googol!!!!
Old 12-05-2010, 01:08 AM   #26
run, megalodon

I've asked for this before and I don't want to pushy and off topic, but I think that this is worth mentioning here: Due to the huge size of the new peaks display in the media explorer, I think it's important that we be able to turn it off. If you don't need to see it, it steals the space for about 6 items, making it much harder to browse if you're using it docked.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:30 AM   #27
brainwreck

Quote:
One other thing that could help make the Media Explorer 'tracker-fast' for creating drum parts is if there was increased start-on-bar flexibility, like start-on-beat (1/8, 1/16 etc) and a modifier for inserting the sample when triggering it.

Currently Up/Down arrows choose the sample, and Left/Right arrows are play and stop, but what I'd really like to be able to do is 'play' samples onto the timeline!

Having some type of GLOBAL QUANTIZATION (which is really just extended start-on-bar functionality) would keep everything tight, but even without that, it would still be possible to tidy-up the played in samples using the item quantize, just not do it all live/on-the-fly while people are watching and listening...
+ more than the current U.S. deficit.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:44 AM   #28
jdutaillis

Many awesome suggestions above!!!

A proper search function would be so amazing to have, it would be my no.1 request for the media explorer. It is really important to have when doing film work.

In addition it would be awesome if REAPER could add notes to files so we could add searchable tags.

eg. I have a file named "Beach Atmos.wav". I can then add notes to this file in the media explorer like "waves, seagulls, kids". REAPER can search on these tags as well! A tickbox for "Seach Tags" to enable or disable as well.

Not actually sure if this is possible...
Old 12-05-2010, 01:47 AM   #29
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by run, megalodon View Post
I've asked for this before and I don't want to pushy and off topic, but I think that this is worth mentioning here: Due to the huge size of the new peaks display in the media explorer, I think it's important that we be able to turn it off. If you don't need to see it, it steals the space for about 6 items, making it much harder to browse if you're using it docked.
Hmmm, maybe a dropdown for it. I mostly don't need the display, but sometimes I do, and I wouldn't want to have to go into preferences to switch it off/on.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:49 AM   #30
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdutaillis View Post
In addition it would be awesome if REAPER could add notes to files so we could add searchable tags.
+1 to that. Nice idea.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:20 AM   #31
jdutaillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
Hmmm, maybe a dropdown for it. I mostly don't need the display, but sometimes I do, and I wouldn't want to have to go into preferences to switch it off/on.
Yeah just a little + / - icon to open and close it.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:50 PM   #32
PitchSlap

I had a chance to work with the improved Media Explorer more last night and I'm really digging it!

A few more thoughts:

-With the more extreme stretching that can now be done, the material dependent weaknesses of each algorithm are more apparent. Beside the tempo match drop down might be a good spot for a drop-down to select the time stretching algorithm, as what sounds good for drum loops, doesn't sound good for melodic content in many cases. Naturally, the algorithm used for the preview should override the project default when the file is inserted.

-The previous request for tab-to-transient makes more sense as snap-to-transient when dragging the selection boundaries.

Sorry for being a total pest, I just know how many countless hours I'll be using the Media Explorer so I'm selfishly wanting it to be the best possible.

Keep up the great work Cockos!
Old 12-05-2010, 01:03 PM   #33
run, megalodon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
You could put the option in the media explorer right click menu and have it right there to toggle on or off quickly.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:38 PM   #34
hopi

Default ME alpha 5 bug from outer space

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=70037

brief discussion, and confirmation of a 'bug' I find in alpha 5, with the ME....

unless I just don't 'get it'... something is not OK and I believe it used to be fine.

PLEASE READ my next post below surfino's post about this.

Last edited by hopi; 12-06-2010 at 01:33 PM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:55 PM   #35
surfino

+1 on folder search
For huge number of files users like me, an SQL based search would be kiiiikin (like the Acid Pro one) heh
surfino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:32 PM   #36
hopi

I'm bumping here about selection and insert selection NOT working in alpha6... [did not work in 4 or 5 either]

but heads up, you will think it IS working at first so do try:

the basic thing is there are two ways to insert a selection:

by rt clk on the selection and by drag and drop.. test them both

with Tempo Match OFF, both insertions work as expected.

with Tempo Matach ON, ONLY the drag and drop works... if you rt clk and use that insert method, it will NOT insert the selection but instead inserts the whole wav file.

this has been confirmed... XP SP2 [can't see why it would matter though]

Now a few more issues:

Auto play on or off seems to make no diff. db clk a wav in the list and it starts to play. I would expect with auto play off, it would not play until user clk's the play button... if that is not the case, then what IS the point of having an Auto play option???

Also very strange to me is this:

with a wav in the peak display, and with a it playing, clk the stop button... Now, clk the stop button again and the wav vanishes. I don't at all get that... Stop to me means just Stop... it don't mean remove??? I think it's a bug or at least a feature not desireable!

OK Lastly... when a selected portion is what you bring into the arranger, I would expect that to be automatically 'glued' to itself or otherwise made a unique item. It is not the case.

But geeez, it only makes sense that if I have already selected just that portion in the ME, that IS what I want. Why should I have to glue it to itself manually before I can drag it out to loop it in the arranger? This makes zero sense to me. Why would I even bother to make a selection in the ME if I have to edit it further in the arranger?

OK... perhaps there is YOU SIR error? but I don't know where or what that would be.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:43 PM   #37
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
with Tempo Match OFF, both insertions work as expected.

with Tempo Matach ON, ONLY the drag and drop works... if you rt clk and use that insert method, it will NOT insert the selection but instead inserts the whole wav file.
There seems to be some issues with that setting. Here right click/menu & tempo match ON will paste to the right spot in arrange and starting from the right place in media selection, but adds more than was selected towards the end. Not necessarily the whole file in the media explorer though, if it is really long.

Quote:
with a wav in the peak display, and with a it playing, clk the stop button... Now, clk the stop button again and the wav vanishes.
True, the waveform disappears, but comes back when I hit play again. Same thing if I choose some other screen on computer and come back. All the other files come back from the offline state, but the file in media explorer doesn't show up until I hit play again.

Also, when looping is turned off, play cursor will stop at the end of the selection and will not move forward until you click somewhere outside the selection. Maybe feature, I don't know?

And finally, if zoomed in close enough so that the end of the file is not visible, play cursor disappears to the right but the waveform doesn't update.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:18 PM   #38
musicbynumbers

"with a wav in the peak display, and with a it playing, clk the stop button... Now, clk the stop button again and the wav vanishes. I don't at all get that... Stop to me means just Stop... it don't mean remove??? I think it's a bug or at least a feature not desireable!"

the waveform disappears to allow you to be able to delete it, Reaper is actually "releasing" the file to windows

You can stop it by right clicking in the bit below the waveform and choosing the option to stop it.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:24 PM   #39
PitchSlap

I just figured out it's possible to zoom in on the peak display using the middle mouse button.

Awesome!
Old 12-12-2010, 05:11 PM   #40
PitchSlap

With all the crazy time-stretching I've been doing with the new time selection feature, I've really come to notice how horrible time-stretching can sound, especially on drums.

Aside from the ability to select the al-gore-rhythm as requested above, I'd really like the option to use no time-stretching at all and just change the playrate (affecting pitch) when stretching to fit.

*EDIT*
Thought of something else: 'zoom to selection'

Last edited by PitchSlap; 12-12-2010 at 05:52 PM.