Old 04-13-2015, 07:16 AM   #1
JimiGlenndrix
Human being with feelings

Default First Time Reaper User

I am considering downloading reaper. I run windows 8 and do not have an actual interface to use with it. Im going to be using my line 6 pod hd500x to record with. Being the rookie i am with home recording, im wondering what the actual difference is between the 32 and 64 bit versions. Im not sure which version of windows 8 i am running either. Does this also come with drums? Not going to be doing anything serious with this yet... Ive gotta walk before i run.... I just want to be able to record basic multi track guitars and have some basic drums to work out some riff ideas for my band. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
JimiGlenndrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:51 AM   #2
Pickasso

Your HD500x is your audio interface in this case, should work fine. The difference in 64 bit is the amount of memory the plugins can access, so if you have plugins which use lots of ram (vsti for example) it runs smoother. I have both 64 and 32 bit versions, I prefer the 32 bit because most of the plugins I use are 32 bit, and many of those either don't run or are rough in a 64 bit session.
For a drum machine, I'm sure you could figure something out with reasampler, but there are some really great sounding free vstis you can download which actually sound very good:
http://www.powerdrumkit.com/
http://de-de.sennheiser.com/drummica
My number one tip for a new user recording guitar tracks is to solve the latency issue, which is twofold:
1) find a way to monitor your guitar with zero latency.
2) Solve/adjust Reaper's latency offset, so what you've recorded plays back in perfect time. Maybe your HD500x works fine as is, my interface was way off though. Here is the guide that helped me:
http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.ph...erface_Latency
The difference is much tighter tracks, which sounds more pro.

Last edited by Pickasso; 04-13-2015 at 07:58 AM.
Pickasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:02 AM   #3
DarkStar

Hello JimiGlenndrix and welcome to these forums. You'll find many helpful people here and a lot of useful information. Make sure that you get the excellent User Guide:
http://www.cockos.com/reaper/userguide.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimiGlenndrix View Post
I am considering downloading reaper. I run windows 8 and do not have an actual interface to use with it. Im going to be using my line 6 pod hd500x to record with.
That should do the job, presuming that you can route audio into Reaper, via the USB and back out again.

Quote:
Being the rookie i am with home recording, im wondering what the actual difference is between the 32 and 64 bit versions. Im not sure which version of windows 8 i am running either.
The two Reaper versions are functionally the same. But the 64-bit version will only run on a 64-bit OS (so go check which Windows 8 you have). The 64-bit version will allow you to load huge libraries in sample players such as Native Instruments' Kontakt.

Quote:
Does this also come with drums? ... I just want to be able to record basic multi track guitars and have some basic drums to work out some riff ideas for my band.
Reaper comes with very few instruments but several good effects. For drums to start off, you can download a sample player and a free drums library. Try this one:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=156708
in CWITec's TX16Wx.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:27 AM   #4
JimiGlenndrix

@Pickasso- I have no plug ins or anything. I just have a fairly cheap laptop with i believe 2gb ram. I have external storage and plenty of it as well... but as far as any plug ins or anything like that, i have nothing yet. Am i going to need to purchase anything extra to program these drums or can i use just my laptop... what would be the easiest way to go about this for a rookie? Im sure i will figure this out eventually....i learn fast... And as far as the latency issue you speak of, i have no clue what you're talking about, sorry lol. I was given my pod hd500x for xmas and just figured out how the damn thing works lol. I have a set of studio monitor headphones, but no actual monitor setup.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:14 PM   #5
whiteaxxxe
Banned

so, a HD500 for Christmas ... lucky guy!

so you are completely set regarding guitars. you could download Pod Farm 2.5 (for free) from Line 6 and can utilize your HD500 within Reaper with that.

what you need are instruments, because Reaper has near to zero of that, for example drums (see post up there) and maybe some pianos, synths, organs, basses. these are all available as free plugins. (bedroomproducersblog.com)

Reaper itself is well organised regarding effects, you dont need anything more. its all there.
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:10 PM   #6
JimiGlenndrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post
so, a HD500 for Christmas ... lucky guy!

so you are completely set regarding guitars. you could download Pod Farm 2.5 (for free) from Line 6 and can utilize your HD500 within Reaper with that.

what you need are instruments, because Reaper has near to zero of that, for example drums (see post up there) and maybe some pianos, synths, organs, basses. these are all available as free plugins. (bedroomproducersblog.com)

Reaper itself is well organised regarding effects, you dont need anything more. its all there.
I know... i am def a lucky guy...lol. As far as the whole drum thing goes...can i just use my laptop to get them in there or do i need some sort of a keyboard or something to get them in there..Like what would be the speediest way lol... Also i just went to line 6 to check on this pod farm, which i have no clue what it is, and it wasnt free(unless i was looking in the wrong place) it was really expensive..
Old 04-13-2015, 03:30 PM   #7
DarkStar

^^^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
For drums to start off, you can download a sample player and a free drums library. Try this one:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=156708
in CWITec's TX16Wx.
Yes, you can enter individual MIDI notes in the MIDI Editor, or use Reaper's Virtual MIDI Keyboard (VMK) and record your click on that keyboard (or key presses on your computer keyboard. You do not need (but may later want) a hardware MIDI keyboard.

You can also get lots of MIDI drum grooves (some free) and load them into Reaper, using them to drive the drums sample player.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:18 PM   #8
JimiGlenndrix

Now i apologize for possible repeat questions, but i really need a reaper for dummies instructions here lol... i have Reaper all installed and ready to go... i can figure out the rest, but i dont know what to do as far as drums go... vsti, vst... means nothing to me....yet anyway..... can someone please post a link on the best free drum vsti or whatever... and what i can do to get some bass in my recordings as well? Sorry for these rookie questions, but i have to start somewhere. Thank you!!!
Old 04-13-2015, 09:28 PM   #9
androo

Hi JimiGlenndrix, welcome to the forum. I wanted only to encourage you on your trip down the DAW 'rabbit hole'; there is a lot to learn but good things are rarely simple. Your pod will be a fine audio interface for you, but you will have to learn to tweak your setup a bit. It's possible you'll hear the latency delay with the default settings if you monitor through reaper. You should be able to configure it to be very small/negligible. You can also monitor directly through you pod with no latency whatsoever. Since you're using headphones, the pod can be your audio output, too.

Dive in, have fun, don't get too bogged down in the hardware and plugins, and don't get frustrated with the depth of the programs & plugins. Make music!
cheers.
androo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:52 PM   #10
planetnine

Plugins can be an effect (FX) or process, like an EQ, compressor, reverb, gate, etc, or they can be an instrument, like a piano, a bass guitar emulator, or drum machine.

VST is a format or type of plugin, and VSTi is just the instrument version of this format. Despite their different end-use, REAPER pretty much handles them identically.

"FX" trend to modify an audio signal, instruments tend to generate one based on a MIDI note or trigger. You can either get complete drum software that is all-inclusive, or you can use a sample player plugin and add samples to it (free, but needs you to set it up). Either way, you give it sequences of MIDI notes and it returns you drum audio.

Any help?

>
Old 04-13-2015, 09:55 PM   #11
Time Waster

Quote:
Now i apologize for possible repeat questions, but i really need a reaper for dummies instructions here lol... i have Reaper all installed and ready to go... i can figure out the rest, but i dont know what to do as far as drums go... vsti, vst... means nothing to me....yet anyway..... can someone please post a link on the best free drum vsti or whatever... and what i can do to get some bass in my recordings as well? Sorry for these rookie questions, but i have to start somewhere. Thank you!!!
For instructions, download the user guide: http://www.cockos.com/reaper/userguide.php

For drums, see Pikasso's links above (I quite like the MTPowerDrumKit). For bass, Signaldust Dolphin is simple and free http://www.signaldust.com/files/dolphin.zip but there are many others available, just google 'free bass vst'.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:16 PM   #12
rvman

Have fun learning, don't make it difficult.

Take a song you know how to play and load up the mp3 of it. Now record yourself playing along with it.

Now edit it, chop it up, move sections around. Mix it, add effects. Play with the settings, etc.

Right click everything and explore the options. Try them out. Have no fear. Just jump in and rock it.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:54 AM   #13
joelsampson

I have some resources that might help you:

http://www.djemberecords.com/links.html

There are a lot of really quality VSTi plugins and soundfonts available free. Also, an copy of Computer Music Magazine is good, it includes a DVD full of somewhat useful plugins.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:11 AM   #14
g8torcliff

Along with what everyone else has already said, I would suggest you get fairly familiar with MIDI. You already have guitars. Much of everything else (keys, drums, percussion, bass, other instruments, etc.) will eventually come around to understanding how MIDI is setup and how it works. Once you wrap your head around it, its not that difficult. Just starts out pretty confusing.

Reaper is great software. And the forum here is a really great bonus.

cliff

p.s. you can tell which bit your OS is by opening the start menu, right clicking on My Computer then click on Properties. On a Windows 8 screen, I think you have to find My Computer then do the same. I'm on a Win 7 machine right now. My home system is Win 8 with a classic screen. In any event, its My Computer then Properties you're looking for.

Last edited by g8torcliff; 04-14-2015 at 03:18 AM.
g8torcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:49 AM   #15
JimiGlenndrix

I really appreciate it everyone...i dont have to work until friday so i know what im doing the next 3 days lol... I have a lot to learn.... i do like how Reaper seems to be pretty easy to use from the videos ive watched on youtube.. and ith my own band and our writing process, this is going to make everything very streamlined...Im excited to get to work!
Old 04-14-2015, 08:02 AM   #16
JimiGlenndrix

Really quick question too... can anyone recommend a cheap midi keyboard i can use for drums? The videos ive watched so far, using a keyboard seems wayyyy easier for me to initially get into the whole drumming thing. I just need something basic and simple for now...hoping to not spend much over $60-$70 if possible
Old 04-14-2015, 08:29 AM   #17
JimiGlenndrix

Ive downloaded and exctracted MT Drum Kit, but im having trouble opening it up. I dont know whats going on. Ive pasted both of the files (.dll and .pdk) into the plugins folder in Reaper and i still cant figure out why i cant open the drum kit. I dont know what im doing wrong. Can anyone help? Im using windows 8

Last edited by JimiGlenndrix; 04-14-2015 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:40 AM   #18
JimiGlenndrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Waster View Post
For instructions, download the user guide: http://www.cockos.com/reaper/userguide.php

For drums, see Pikasso's links above (I quite like the MTPowerDrumKit). For bass, Signaldust Dolphin is simple and free http://www.signaldust.com/files/dolphin.zip but there are many others available, just google 'free bass vst'.

I figured out how to open mt powerdrum kit in reaper.... it sees the program but i cant actually open it because its asking me for an activation key... i What is this about? Is this going to work for me or am i going to have to delete this and find another one?

Last edited by JimiGlenndrix; 04-14-2015 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:57 AM   #19
JimiGlenndrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMM View Post
If you downloaded this:
http://www.powerdrumkit.com/

It will work.

There is an activation key that you need (it is a free key).

I downloaded this program several months ago and tested it.
This will be a great program to get you started.

Instructions on how to generate the activation key is found here:
http://www.powerdrumkit.com/download76187.php
Look to the right of the page for instructions.

Type in a number.
You will get an activation key that reads something like this: 922234236

Copy and paste the key into the box on your plugin.

You are a life saver lol.... I was scratching my head for a minute there....I just followed your instructions and its working! Thanks alot..Much appreciated my friend!
Old 04-14-2015, 02:04 PM   #20
The Telenator
Banned

Just posting to say HELLO and Welcome to the forum for now. Keep poking around here and the net for audio info, and it will all come together rather quickly for you. Enjoy!
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote