Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 12-12-2010, 05:40 PM   #41
Win Conway
Human being with feelings

Slight issue
If you don't use a fill between your loop selector (I don't, I just use the left and right lines) there is no visible selection on the media explorer waveform.
Would be nice to get a single pixel line on each edge of the selection that is the same color as the loop left and right lines from the timeline.
Win Conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:38 PM   #42
musicbynumbers

Default Too easy to trigger a small loop when your just trying to seek.

So easy to create millisecond loops when clicking once to seek.

thanks
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:56 AM   #43
IXix

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
with a wav in the peak display, and with a it playing, clk the stop button... Now, clk the stop button again and the wav vanishes. I don't at all get that... Stop to me means just Stop... it don't mean remove??? I think it's a bug or at least a feature not desireable!
That's desirable behaviour for me. If you want to delete the file, you have to unload it from REAPER or Windows won't let you delete it.

Having said that, I'd much prefer it if we could just delete, copy, rename etc. from within the ME, without having to use the Windows browser.
IXix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:52 PM   #44
AdamWathan

Is there any way to set it up so it doesn't autoplay the time selection as soon as you create it?
AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:48 AM   #45
PitchSlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWathan View Post
Is there any way to set it up so it doesn't autoplay the time selection as soon as you create it?
I'm not sure, but I think it would be better for the selection to obey the autoplay preference, and when it's off, trigger the sample manually with the r-arrow key(or whatever you have it assigned to).
Old 12-14-2010, 01:09 AM   #46
hopi

there are fixes in 12a but they are not complete... I have a post in the 12a thread about remaining problems with how selections do and don't work properly as well as other strange behaviour.

if you can plz read that and confirm or deny what you find.

thanks
Old 12-14-2010, 06:41 PM   #47
DanXIV

Default Play - Stop - unselect

Hi,

I work a lot with the media explorer and the selection in the preview is AWESOME thanks.

But there are a few things that would help my workflow.

I find that play/stop is tedious in the preview window: click to play but to stop I have to click on the stop button (I dont like to bind the space bar for that or any key anyway).

Suggestions:

With no selection:

Left click = play
First right click = stop
Second right click = menu

With a selection:

Left click outside selection = play
Left click inside selection = play from start of selection
First right click = stop
Second right click = menu
Double click = unselect
Old 12-14-2010, 07:42 PM   #48
hopi

nice suggestions for the play via mouse clks...

but first I'd like to see all of the selection and import selection working correctly...
Old 12-22-2010, 02:55 AM   #49
PitchSlap

Does anyone else find it quite hard to navigate and make selections in lengthy files?

I'm really grateful for the rudimentary zoom, but think if there were new actions in the media explorer section for 'zoom to selection', 'zoom out full', 'zoom to left/right edge of selection' etc. it would be of great help.

(Also, when there is no selection it would be nice if we could still click and drag the waveform display onto timeline like 3.x)

Last edited by PitchSlap; 12-22-2010 at 05:46 PM.
PitchSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:07 PM   #50
musicbynumbers

I agree plus the below post's licecap shows how easy it is to accidently loop when you are just clicking to seek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
Does anyone else find it quite hard to navigate and make selections in lengthy files?

I'm really grateful for the rudimentary zoom, but think if there were new actions in the media explorer section for 'zoom to selection', 'zoom out full', 'zoom to left/right edge of selection' etc. it would be of great help.

(Also, when there is no selection it would be nice if we could still click and drag the file onto timeline like 3.x)
Old 12-22-2010, 05:09 PM   #51
musicbynumbers

Default Way too easy to create tiny loops when you are trying to seek

There really needs to be a slight delay before allowing you to create a loop time selection as with some input devices (like a wacom pen pad) it's just too sensitive and you often end up with tiny loops when you just wanted to seek play at the point you clicked.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:01 AM   #52
DanXIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
I agree plus the below post's licecap shows how easy it is to accidently loop when you are just clicking to seek.
Maybe if the selection was made via right click?

So, Sugestions revisited:

With no selection:

Left click = play
First right click = stop
Second right click = select (Let's put the right click menu elsewhere, above maybe?)
double click = select all

With a selection:

Left click outside selection = play
Left click inside selection = play from start of selection
First right click = stop
Second right click = select
Double click inside selection = unselect
Double click outside selection = select all
Old 03-02-2011, 03:53 AM   #53
IXix

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXix View Post
I'd much prefer it if we could just delete, copy, rename etc. from within the ME, without having to use the Windows browser.
Please please please please please add rename and delete to the context menu. I know you can use the windows browser but that's cluttered up with all kinds of crap (antivirus, antispyware, cvs/svn, winamp, 7zip etc.) that just gets in the way and for some reason the rename option doesn't show up anyway.

Please, I'm begging!
IXix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:25 AM   #54
Ben Zero

Hi all

First up apologies for bumping this old thread with this post - if it's more appropriate I can make a new post instead.

I’ve been meaning to post my thoughts on the Media Explorer and improvements I’d like to see ever since the 4.0 alphas but work and time has got the better of me. I’ve finally got my thoughts and ideas together and it’d be great to get everyone’s feedback. I’ve mentioned some of these things a few times over the years but as media management is seriously being improved in this version I really hope that perhaps some of the more straight-forward tweaks might be able to make their way into 4.0 and some of the more significant stuff adopted going forward.

(Some context - my work often makes heavy use of the Media Explorer, trawling through my hard drive for samples and bits and pieces. So, the faster and more efficient I can be with it, the better! This is the case for anyone doing work that involves dragging in audio that’s scattered across their hard drives - so people doing music work that draws heavily on samples, radio production work or post production work etc)

- Overall I think the Media Explorer should look, feel, and behave more like the standard Windows Explorer or the Explorers in Sony's Sound Forge or Vegas. Currently, navigating folders in the Media Explorer is somewhat difficult and awkward. Every time you navigate into a folder, preview a file(s), and navigate back up a level, you lose your place in the list of folders; this is particularly true when you have a large number of files in a folder.

- The answer to the above that we need a tree view added for navigating folders - so on the left of the files in the Explorer should be the folder tree view. This would make basic folder in folder navigation when lots of files are involved so much easier.

- Having directory Shortcuts (favourites by another name) is great, but their use is currently quite limited and so here's some tweaks and refinements to the Shortcuts that I'd like to see (in order of importance):

1. Ability to re-order the Shortcut folders - by dragging and dropping - and the option to automatically list them alphabetically. Currently, they're listed in the order in which they were created.

2. Adjustable width of shortcut folder column. If a shortcut has a long path name, you currently can't currently see the title of the relavant directory! So, the width of the folder should be drag-able and this should be remembered when you close the app.

3. Ability to rename shortcuts - this would remove the long path problem. Obviously this wouldn't rename the actual directory, just the shortcut pointer.

4. Ability to show shortcut folder names without their full path; just showing the final destination directory. This would help avoid some of the problems above.

5. Option for a column to the right of Shortcuts which displays directory tree structure (detailed above).

6. Last used path should be remembered when you re-open REAPER. Ideally there would be an option for this to be either on a per-project or global basis.

---

It is fantastic to see in REAPER 4.0 the new “preview time selection” feature in the Media Explorer and it’s a step forward towards the Trimmer type features currently available in Vegas. But I don’t think it’s quite there yet and think some refinements could be made:

- As you place your cursor in position in the preview area, playback currently starts automatically. I don’t think this is the most useful behaviour and instead playback should only start on pressing play/space when the preview area is in focus. Currently the way playback happens automatically can be annoying when trying to find a specific point and hamper progress. It would be logical if the automatic play occurred when the loop button is enabled in the Explorer.

- We need the ability to pause the playback cursor at a particular point using keyboard shortcuts rather than just the transport controls and resume play again by hitting space.

- The ability to drop markers in the preview window and name them and then save these into the media file. Likewise we should be able to see markers in the preview window.

- Often I want to be able to take a small item I’m currently working on in the main view and find a place within its source file using the “preview time selection” feature. I can’t find a way to do this unless I’m missing something. If not, could an action to add the selected item’s source file the “preview time selection” be added, ideally with the current item area highlighted? It would also be cool to be able to drag from the timeline to the preview area.

---

Phew well that’s it for now - I’d really love to get everyone’s thoughts on this and I’m hoping I’ll find some support for the above.

Cheers

Ben
Old 06-29-2011, 08:36 AM   #55
drew
Mobile

Can't say I'm a huge user of Media Explorer - but then that's mainly due to some of those things you mention!

Not having a folder tree just means that normal Explorer windows are much friendlier to use (that's how I end up doing things) and not being able to better control the shortcuts to folders doesn't help this window to have any advantage.

In fact I didn't even find out about shortcuts for a while, just because I kept trying to drag folders to that left bit, seeing the "shortcut" icon but then nothing would happen.

I'd dearly love to have a way to remap some key commands so I know the space is transport and something else does the preview - I never feel I know which is going to play when I hit space right now!
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:40 AM   #56
Ben Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Can't say I'm a huge user of Media Explorer - but then that's mainly due to some of those things you mention!

Not having a folder tree just means that normal Explorer windows are much friendlier to use (that's how I end up doing things) and not being able to better control the shortcuts to folders doesn't help this window to have any advantage.

In fact I didn't even find out about shortcuts for a while, just because I kept trying to drag folders to that left bit, seeing the "shortcut" icon but then nothing would happen.

I'd dearly love to have a way to remap some key commands so I know the space is transport and something else does the preview - I never feel I know which is going to play when I hit space right now!
You make another good point Drew - it would be natural and intuitive to be able to drag folders to the Shortcut area. Overall, I think the Shortcuts paradigm could do with a rethink and a sprucing up, hopefully along the lines of what I outlined above!
Old 06-29-2011, 10:30 AM   #57
phrenik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Zero View Post
Overall I think the Media Explorer should look, feel, and behave more like the standard Windows Explorer or the Explorers in Sony's Sound Forge or Vegas. Currently, navigating folders in the Media Explorer is somewhat difficult and awkward. Every time you navigate into a folder, preview a file(s), and navigate back up a level, you lose your place in the list of folders; this is particularly true when you have a large number of files in a folder.
This drives me insane, can we PLEASE have Reaper REMEMBER the added columns such as "date created" etc?
Old 11-21-2011, 08:44 AM   #58
cchoy

Hey Ben--

Great post! Here's my thoughts re: media explorer/trimmer

==========================================
Ben's suggestions:
Tree view. I think that would be extremely useful for sure. As well as the media explorer "remembering" added columns.
Perhaps the "folders" bit could be where the "shortcuts" folder currently lives?

Ability to re-order the Shortcut folders.
+1 here as well. The ability to sort would be dandy!

"Adjustable width of shortcut folder column. If a shortcut has a long path name, you currently can't currently see the title of the relavant directory! So, the width of the folder should be drag-able and this should be remembered when you close the app."

+1 for this one too.

"Ability to rename shortcuts - this would remove the long path problem. Obviously this wouldn't rename the actual directory, just the shortcut pointer."

+1 here.

"Ability to show shortcut folder names without their full path; just showing the final destination directory. This would help avoid some of the problems above."
not as important to me

"Last used path should be remembered when you re-open REAPER. Ideally there would be an option for this to be either on a per-project or global basis."
+1

"- As you place your cursor in position in the preview area, playback currently starts automatically. I don’t think this is the most useful behaviour and instead playback should only start on pressing play/space when the preview area is in focus. Currently the way playback happens automatically can be annoying when trying to find a specific point and hamper progress. It would be logical if the automatic play occurred when the loop button is enabled in the Explorer."
+1 make it an option, please

"We need the ability to pause the playback cursor at a particular point using keyboard shortcuts rather than just the transport controls and resume play again by hitting space."

+1

"The ability to drop markers in the preview window and name them and then save these into the media file. Likewise we should be able to see markers in the preview window."

Per clip markers are definitely helpful. +1

"Often I want to be able to take a small item I’m currently working on in the main view and find a place within its source file using the “preview time selection” feature. I can’t find a way to do this unless I’m missing something. If not, could an action to add the selected item’s source file the “preview time selection” be added, ideally with the current item area highlighted? It would also be cool to be able to drag from the timeline to the preview area."

+1 here-- this one would be extremely useful for me

================================================== =============

Something that you didn't mention here that I would find useful is as follows:

Often, when working on a movie, I will have 50+ tracks and a timeline that stretches 1-2 hours. I would love the ability to have the cursor jump to a specific clip on the timeline when I select it in the media pool. Or if I use that sound more than once, the ability to have the cursor scroll through the different instances on the timeline-- sort of the way the "find/replace" tool works in word processors.

C

Last edited by cchoy; 11-21-2011 at 08:52 AM.
cchoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:56 AM   #59
babag

did the problem of selections not being modifiable once they've been
inserted into a timeline ever get fixed? i could never find a setting
that would allow me to modify start and end points after i'd taken the
selection into the timeline. to be specific, if i placed a selection
in the timeline, i can drag its start or end farther open but it does
not reveal more of the underlying wav file. depending on preferences,
it will either loop the originally inserted material or reveal empty
space. i'd need it to reveal the underlying wav.

i do a lot of spoken word work with sound effects files and this would
be a great way to work but not with this problem. the workaround for me
has been to have a dummy project open in another timeline tab. i use
that to open and trim wavs for copying to the working timeline. very
cumbersome. in another daw i'd simply select and copy from a wav editing
window but since reaper has no native wav editing i'm stuck with this
workaround. would be much better to have the media explorer selections
work right.

thanks,
BabaG
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:56 PM   #60
Ben Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by babag View Post
did the problem of selections not being modifiable once they've been
inserted into a timeline ever get fixed? .... workaround for me
has been to have a dummy project open in another timeline tab. i use
that to open and trim wavs for copying to the working timeline. very
cumbersome.
I also do the "scrap" dummy project thing for editing voice-overs, and agree it's pretty clumsy. A full functioning trimmer - aka the Media Explorer Time Selection feature - would be a much, much better solution.

Sadly the problem with selections not being modifiable once inserted from the selector/trimmer isn't fixed. If you untick "selection" in item properties, the item start time is reset to the beginning of the file, ie you lose your edit place which is pretty useless!

The correct and intuitive functionality IMO is simply that once inserted from the selector/trimmer, the item just behaves like a regular item - no loop points are created and it's normally editable in the timeline.

Last edited by Ben Zero; 11-22-2011 at 11:20 AM. Reason: typo!
Ben Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #61
Ben Zero

Thanks Cory for the bump and comments on my suggestions. It would be great if Justin and the devs took a serious look at this side of media management in REAPER - it's stuff sorely needed by all us post/games/sound design/VO editing guys. In fact anyone using multiple files from multiple sources and not just doing pure music tracking or sequencing. Would love to see this side of things get some development time

And I'm with you Cory that the ability to have the cursor jump to a specific item when selected in the media pool would also be a great addition on this side of things.

In fact, if Justin and the team wanted to go a step further with consolidating and improving the media management side of things, you could definitely argue a case for more synergy between the media pool, media explorer and trimmer/time selection feature. Eg you should be able to drag from the media pool/project bay to the trimmer/time selection feature (or at least right click "open in trimmer").
Old 11-21-2011, 06:09 PM   #62
VVV

Default More possibilities in explorer

This feature is so promising!

It could be upgraded with a sort of groove maker. We already have ME time selection, start on bar and tempo match half or double but it could be even more crazy with more groove possiblities and multiple parallel preview player slots ala Ableton Live. You know what I mean? A kind of Stylus rmx/Live fonction integrated in Reaper media explorer!

It would also need the ability to put what we heard in the arrange view in sequenced items form.

In the same idea but maybe easier to implement, it would be cool to see the different part of REX files and Midi files in the explorer(ala studio one v2).

The more I think of it the more I think it's a good idea. What do you think?
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:12 PM   #63
Joystick

Great ideas about the media explorer, let me ask for one more, in slower systems like my laptop it takes a small amount of time to render the waveform view of the files I'm browsing.

Since I always use the same Folders/Subfolders of my sound effects and production music collection, is there any way to generate all those peak files in order for the media explorer to function faster without having every time to generate the peak files for preview?
Joystick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #64
babag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Zero View Post
The correct and intuitive functionality IMO is simple that once inserted from the selector/trimmer, the item just behaves like a regular item - no loop points are created and it's normally editable in the timeline.
yup. the inclusion of loop points should be optional and
selectable. otherwise the inserted item should behave as
all others.

BabaG
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:53 AM   #65
Ben Zero

Blatantly bumping this thread as it looks like Media Explorer is getting a bit of attention. Would love to see some of the feature suggestions we've made implemented!
Old 09-07-2020, 09:42 AM   #66
JeruBerau

It's 2020, and there's still no equivalent to Vegas' "open in trimmer"?

I MEAN THE FEATURES DESCRIBED BY BEN back in 2011:

- "Option for a column to the right of Shortcuts which displays directory tree structure"

- "... Often I want to be able to take a small item I’m currently working on in the main view and find a place within its source file using the “preview time selection” feature. I can’t find a way to do this unless I’m missing something. If not, could an action to add the selected item’s source file the “preview time selection” be added, ideally with the current item area highlighted? It would also be cool to be able to drag from the timeline to the preview area"

If I ever get a readable response from the devs that explicitly states that they are not interested in adding these options, well, it'll be at least clear. A message like "Reaper is not made for you and we do not care about your needs".

Last edited by JeruBerau; 09-11-2020 at 04:01 PM.
JeruBerau is offline   Reply With Quote