Old 09-30-2015, 11:49 AM   #1
dragulasbruder
Human being with feelings

Default Korg Nanokontrol MIDI issues

Hi,

Tried setting up my Korg Nanokontrol (original version) with Reaper using the OakNanoKontrol files. Everything works pretty well except for one very important thing: panning.

When I use the Nanokontrol knob to pan a channel (let's say Channel 3), it also pans the channel that is two numbers down from it. In this hypothetical case, it would be panning Channel 1 also. And it just hard-pans it--when I turn the knob for Channel 3 to the right of noon, it hard-pans Channel 1 100% left. If i turn it to the left of noon, Ch1 is panned 100% right.

I've poked around in the NanoKontrol editor and in Reaper's action menu, but I didn't see anything that looks suspicious. But I'm fairly new to this. Anyone with more experience have any idea what could be going on??
dragulasbruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:11 PM   #2
4x4uk

soundds to me like you have the oaan knob mapped to more than one track or the two track are in the same group easy to check if you move the pan knob with the mouse do both tracks move
4x4uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:36 PM   #3
ivansc

Have you tried the other available (in the stash) Nano template?
I use both and pan works fine in both, so it may well be a simple case of dual assignment as suggested above, but worth checking with the other map in case it is something silly in your oaknano setup.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 07:47 PM   #4
dragulasbruder

ivan, I've tried both the OakNanoKontrol and nano_kontrol scene setups with their respective keymaps. I went through the actions list too, to make sure that nothing was doubled up.

4x4, I checked into whether things were dual-assigned, but nothing appeared to be. I doubt it's this because of the weird behavior of the "ghost" panning--it switches hard-left to hard-right depending on which way you turn the knob. And when I move the pan pot with the mouse everything's normal.

I've also tried updating the driver of the nanokontrol--no avail. I'm thinking mine might be broken?
Old 10-04-2015, 12:00 PM   #5
4x4uk

try routing the nano conntrol through midiox or some other midi monitoring tool to se exactly what messages are being sent by the nanocontrol, compare that to what it should be sending in the nanocontrol settings. that will confirm if the issue is with the nanocontrol or not
4x4uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:51 PM   #6
dragulasbruder

I'll give it a shot, thanks!
Old 10-14-2015, 04:55 AM   #7
dragulasbruder

found it, stupid simple newbie mistake. I somehow had a random Mackie device I don't own listed as a control surface. Found it in there randomly clicking around in preferences. After removing the item, Nanokontrol works perfectly.

Now back to work.