Old 09-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
Seventh
Human being with feelings

Default 2D Theme: ReaLax

The theme contains some elements and colors from the default theme (modified transport bg, envelope colors, item buttons..), and from the RADO Vox theme by Vstyler (MIDI editor note bg colors are perfect, trying to change them just made it worse ). Also the MCP folder indent hack was originally devised by WT.

Screenshots and suggested layouts:

Download here

Notes:

Please enable the action "Mixer: Clickable icon for folder tracks to show/hide children" to get the mixer folder indicators to work. You can find it in the actions list. It's supposed to look like this:

Recommended metering preferences (this way the meter color ranges match: inf to -24 green, -23 to -6 yellow, over -6 red). Also the lower setting is optional to set the fader zero point higher (if you don't need the additional range). Looks better imo.

Here's an optional MIDI note color map to use with this theme. I downloaded it a long time ago from the stash so I'm not sure who made it, but it works well with the 2D look and the color scheme of the MIDI editor.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/14081178/Re...e_colormap.png

Please make sure that you're running the latest version of Reaper. Versions older than 4.23 don't support knob stacks which is required for the pan/width knobs.

Mac users might have to change some of the fonts, since the ones I used aren't probably compatible with OSX.

This is a beta version so please report here if you find any bugs or incosistencies, which you probably will.

Known bugs:
  • Toolbar icons are defaulted to classic ones instead of the v4 ones. I'm working on a fix for this, but in the meantime you could change them manually if you wish.

• Some people report missing pan knobs (Might be due to using an older version of Reaper). Also the dual pan knob is skewed.

Updates:

24.9. Cleaned up some PNGs and changed a few colors

24.9. 2: fixed some PNGs, added input fx and envelope state indicators to MCP, and made the track selection indication in TCP more prominent

24.9. 3: Font reafinements and other fine-tuning

25.9. Improved transport compatibility for smaller resolutions, uploaded a MIDI note color map

28.9. Added layouts: Transport with separate repeat button, mcp separator. Made toolbar button depressed state lighter.

1.10. Added layout: extended tcp with volume knob and fx. Added input fx when recarmed to tcp layouts with fx. Fixed some PNGs and alignments.

24.10. Added layout without the mcp folder indents. Also some minor fixes.

14.2. Several changes and improvements.

Last edited by Seventh; 02-13-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Seventh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
robo

Nice! I really dig the flat abletonishness
robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
tls11823

My first impression was that there wasn't enough stuff there. But then I realized that everything was there - it just didn't look cluttered enough for it to be there.

I look forward to logging some time with this. Unless I find something that just doesn't work for me, this may play heavily in my rotation.

Nice job, and thanks!
Old 09-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #4
Seventh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tls11823 View Post
My first impression was that there wasn't enough stuff there. But then I realized that everything was there - it just didn't look cluttered enough for it to be there.
Thanks! Precisely what I was going for
Old 09-23-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
djspiritcr

nice just a little bit too dark but really good looking ! thnx and don't stop too work on it pls
good job!
djspiritcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #6
Reno.thestraws

Love it!

Can i just suggest to add fx in button on mcp and tcp?

Perhaps at the same place that fx but appears onmy when rec armed?
Old 10-02-2012, 03:08 AM   #7
m1ck300668UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo View Post
Nice! I really dig the flat abletonishness
I was thinking Bitwig lol, but i'll definately download it...looks really nice.
m1ck300668UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #8
nightscope

Great theme in so many ways. The mute and solo buttons are the right size and colour for my MCU and I love almost everything about this theme.

But the mixer is a total mess with folders which is a pity. If I use this I will use busses instead 'cos it would kill me to stare at all those steps all day.

Many thanx fer this an' I hope you can sort out a better solution for the mixer folder thang.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clipboard.jpg (43.5 KB, 323 views)
nightscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:54 AM   #9
Seventh

I can make a layout which doesn't have the indents. Again, the folder icons in the mcp are messed up, they should show as + and - signs and not as those ugly folder images

I'm yet to find a cause for this problem. The weird thing is that it works fine on my main install of Reaper, but if I use the theme on a portable installation, some of the stuff doesn't display correctly. I'll try to investigate it..

Hopi: yeah I would add a narrower separator for the mixer, but there's no way to automatically change the layout depending on the screenset. A narrow separator would look good with a full screen mixer, but it'd be messed up in the inspector.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #10
Morpion

Just wanted to drop in to say that I frickin' love this theme! Been getting a bit tired of the (admittedly beautiful) console emulations that are kicking around at the moment, and I'm really happy that there's someone looking at things from a different perspective. Looking forward to seeing how it progresses!
Old 10-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #11
nightscope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh View Post
I can make a layout which doesn't have the indents.
That would be great, I think the mixer view would benefit from this cosmetic tweak as the faders would all be nicely aligned.

Quote:
Again, the folder icons in the mcp are messed up, they should show as + and - signs and not as those ugly folder images
OK, I see.

ns
nightscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:45 AM   #12
Vasilios

An excellent theme. please keep up on it!
Vasilios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #13
nyaben

I love the theme but for some reason the top left portion of the screen isn't right. See image link below.

Thanks for any help in correcting!

Last edited by nyaben; 09-29-2012 at 03:22 AM.
nyaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #14
mako55a

Hi Seventh, just have tried your theme and have to say you've found fantastic solution for rec monitoring and width (2-in-1), very good .
THanks.

Last edited by mako55a; 09-28-2012 at 04:43 PM.
mako55a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #15
Kundalinguist

Nice work, Seventh. No shortage of creative ideas here in Reaperville.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:18 PM   #16
nyaben

Anyone else missing some of the theme elements?

Last edited by nyaben; 09-29-2012 at 03:22 AM.
nyaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:07 PM   #17
EpicSounds

nice. the Anti-Imperial.

Down with skeuomorphism.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:25 AM   #18
Seventh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyaben View Post
Anyone else missing some of the theme elements?

I still haven't figured out how to get the theme to use the default toolbar icons. In the meantime you could right-click the menu and change the icons manually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyerbass View Post
I really like this theme
on my opignion the M S IO FX looks a bit too big, they lloks traped into the dark square, too close to the edge especially for fx, maybe it would be more breathy if you make thos letters a bit smaller
Well, yes, maybe. I'll try a smaller font size and see if that fits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastrite View Post
I don't know if this was asked before, but would you consider making a horizontal version of your MCP-fader for the TCP? So not a knob but an identical horizontal fader with the same height of the other MCP-elements. And perhaps a Pan/Width element for the TCP? I like to work without the mixer.
Maybe. I don't like overpopulating the TCP too much, but I might make a layout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henric View Post
I'm missing the pan knobs here, just seeing a black circle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyaben View Post
Did you intend for tracks within track folders to show like this?

Weird. Looks like some of the elements are getting lost in the process. I tried downloading it from the stash and for me it worked fine. Nyaben: If you mean the indents, then yes. But the folder indicator images should show as + and - signs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyerbass View Post
for instance the in mixer, the io and fx buttons are not in the center, it's bvious when fx are bypassed, there is a larger orange zone on the side
Good catch.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:02 AM   #19
classic

Quote:
I hope you like gray =)

The theme contains some elements and colors from the default theme (modified transport bg, envelope colors, item buttons..), and from the RADO Vox theme by Vstyler (MIDI editor note bg colors are perfect, trying to change them just made it worse ). Also the MCP folder indent hack was originally devised by WT.

Screenshots and suggested layouts:

https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1067/ReaLax.ReaperThemeZip

This is a beta version so please report here if you find any bugs or incosistencies, which you probably will.

Mac users might have to change some of the fonts, since the ones I used aren't probably compatible with OSX.

Here's a MIDI note color map to use with this theme. I downloaded it a long time ago from the stash so I'm not sure who made it, but it works well with the 2D look and the color scheme of the MIDI editor.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/14081178/Re...e_colormap.png

Recommended metering preferences (this way the meter color ranges match: inf to -24 green, -23 to -6 yellow, over -6 red). Also the lower setting is optional to set the fader zero point higher (if you don't need the additional range). Looks better imo.

Updates:
24.9. Cleaned up some PNGs and changed a few colors

24.9. 2: fixed some PNGs, added input fx and envelope state indicators to MCP, and made the track selection indication in TCP more prominent

24.9. 3: Font reafinements and other fine-tuning

25.9. Improved transport compatibility for smaller resolutions, uploaded a MIDI note color map

28.9. Added layouts: Transport with separate repeat button, mcp separator. Made toolbar button depressed state lighter.

1.10. Added layout: extended tcp with volume knob and fx. Added input fx when recarmed to tcp layouts with fx. Fixed some PNGs and alignments.

This on has the style of Tracktion. Traktion also did not have 3d Buttons and all that sh... noone needs.
If you would make the colours the same like Traktion had, I would never change the skin anymore.

Well, it is just a desire an old Tracktion fan has

Cheers
classic
classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:29 PM   #20
compasspnt

Can you not change the colours yourself?
compasspnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:50 AM   #21
Seventh

Many thanks to Gofer who managed to troubleshoot the problem with the mcp folder indicators!

Please enable the action "Mixer: Clickable icon for folder tracks to show/hide children" to get the mixer folder indicators to work. You can find it in the actions list.

The problem with missing pan knobs (which I'm unable to reproduce as of yet), is likely due to same kind of incompatibility with some well-hidden preference. I'll post an update when I manage to find it.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:24 PM   #22
gofer
-blänk-

Are the people who are missing pan knobs maybe using a Reaper older than 4.25? Knob stacks are pretty new to Reaper. Older versions can only use "mcp_pan_knob large" or "mcp_pan_knob_small". Maybe you should consider providing some "old style" pan knob images to fall back to.

If you want to prevent "those ugly folder images" to show up for users who like to have clickable icon disabled, provide an image "mcp_folder_on.png". That will replace the fallback image Reaper will use (the little yellow folder icon) if it doesn't find that image in the theme's folder with something to your liking.

One other thing I noticed: If the area of the mixer area which contains the faders gets small enough then the volume faders of tracks in folders can become lower than wide and therefore WALTER switches them to horizontal faders.
Reaper again falls back to it's inbuilt images (because you don't have horizontal faders in your theme) which - errm - don't gel too well with the rest of your fine theme :

Vertical faders probably won't make sense in this height anyway, so I'd probably just keep them from showing up.
Attached Images
File Type: png ReaLax-fader-seventh.png (9.3 KB, 1521 views)
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #23
Seventh

Thanks again gofer for another couple of good catches. I'll fix these issues probably on sunday when I get back from vacation. I'll also add the layouts without the mcp folder indent as requested.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:42 AM   #24
BobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic View Post
This on has the style of Tracktion. Traktion also did not have 3d Buttons and all that sh... noone needs.
If you would make the colours the same like Traktion had, I would never change the skin anymore.

Well, it is just a desire an old Tracktion fan has

Cheers
classic
Tracktion. Loved it…

Bob M.
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #25
J.Biz Quiz

Default Elegance and Simplicity!!!

Whats good Seventh?? Thanks to your theme, I have deleted all other themes and defaulted yours as my GO TO theme! It's oh so easy on the eyes and I feel at home when mixing in it. Not that I have anything against the console emu's and the Imperial themes, its just nice to have a contrast. Of course there are a few things already pointed out that need improvement, but your theme is from now on the only one I am checking updates for...Thanks!!
J.Biz Quiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:07 PM   #26
benes

Yeah I'm agree : this theme is wonderfull
I have any problems with your FX icon wich indicates the input FX (why? in the default theme it was perfect), and I can not bypass the fx chain by clicking on the fx icon like on the default theme. And it is annoying to select all the track for displaying the extended tcp. It could be automatic.
I have just tested your theme since any minutes. No doubt I will notice a lot of things in the future, but I want to say again : this theme is wondefull!!
benes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #27
benes

Oh, and where is the i/o button?
You said that you want to keep the TCP epured, then you can cumul more than one icon at the same place, like you did it for the loop button with is on the play button.
And your Vu meter indicates red when the volume don't sature. Maybe it can be only yellow (or orange) but the red shoud be only for saturation.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:34 PM   #28
krahosk

Quote:
Originally Posted by benes View Post
You said that you want to keep the TCP epured, then you can cumul more than one icon at the same place, like you did it for the loop button with is on the play button.
And your Vu meter indicates red when the volume don't sature. Maybe it can be only yellow (or orange) but the red shoud be only for saturation.
Maybe put the monitor button inside the record button.
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:02 AM   #29
Seventh

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Biz Quiz View Post
Whats good Seventh?? Thanks to your theme, I have deleted all other themes and defaulted yours as my GO TO theme! It's oh so easy on the eyes and I feel at home when mixing in it. Not that I have anything against the console emu's and the Imperial themes, its just nice to have a contrast. Of course there are a few things already pointed out that need improvement, but your theme is from now on the only one I am checking updates for...Thanks!!
Glad you like it!

Quote:
Yeah I'm agree : this theme is wonderfull
I have any problems with your FX icon wich indicates the input FX (why? in the default theme it was perfect), and I can not bypass the fx chain by clicking on the fx icon like on the default theme. And it is annoying to select all the track for displaying the extended tcp. It could be automatic.
I have just tested your theme since any minutes. No doubt I will notice a lot of things in the future, but I want to say again : this theme is wondefull!!
The FX button turns into the input FX button when the track is record armed. You can bypass the FX by clicking on the border of the FX button.

You can set the extended tcp layout as the default in
View->Screensets/layouts->Layouts->Set "Track panel" as "Extended Tcp"

(if you're using multiple screensets you'll need to save this into them too, otherwise ignore)

Quote:
I can try and see if I can fit an IO button in the TCP when I make more layouts.

You're right the "hot" color might be a little bit too red. It was supposed to be orange. =)
Old 11-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #30
benes

I have used your theme and even if I still loving it, I think you can improve some things. The mixer is not yet satisfying. The idea to represent the track folder "up" (sorry, I don't speak english very well) is good because we see clearly the file structure of the tracks, but it is a shame that the VU meter are increasingly small, and above all : the faders are not aligned even if the volumes are the same.
And the other windows (like the performance window for example) are not designed in the same way. I suppose it's a problem about Windows.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #31
proto

love this! I cant get the master fader to work. it shows level and everything, but I cant raise or lower the gain on it because there's nothing to grab {no slider on master track}

- the other faders on the regular tracks are aok.

proto
proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:33 PM   #32
Seventh

Quote:
it is a shame that the VU meter are increasingly small, and above all : the faders are not aligned even if the volumes are the same.
Unfortunately this is something that can't be done at the moment as far as I know. If the offset bothers you, you could use the layout which doesn't have the indents below the channel strips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proto View Post
I cant raise or lower the gain on it because there's nothing to grab {no slider on master track}
That's by design, I never use the master fader myself. I might make a layout though.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:42 AM   #33
benes

I joining on the demand to have a master fader! Please!

In the track view, perhaps you could better organize the buttons on the track panel : I use the extended layout. Although your solution for displaying the monitoring is interesting, (but a little bit abstract), why did you let the button below it for the record monitoring ? Maybe it could be selected on this "red" button, wich displays the monitoring mode.
At this place you could insert the IO icon. By the way I think your idea for displaying the inputs and outputs by the colour of the I or the O is great!
The button for the automations is large. Maybe you could shorten it and place a pan button ?

And if the FX button on track panel (in the track view) could be like the fx button on the mixer view, I mean, with the border, it would be great!

Last edited by benes; 12-09-2012 at 07:52 AM.