Old 12-15-2014, 07:53 PM   #1
JRicc07
Human being with feelings

Default Input Monitoring inaccuracy problem

Some quick specs first:

Windows 8
M-Audio M-Track Quad
Latest version of Reaper

This is a very unusual problem. It actually pertains to more than the input monitoring. It seems that even when the gain knobs on the M-Audio interface are set all set to zero, i'm still getting input readings. This is a problems since it means that i have zero control of the input signal going into the DAW.

To paint the picture a little further: I have a 4 mic set up for drums. even with the gain turned all the way down to zero, i'm still getting a -30db reading on the overheads, a -14db reading on the kick and a -2db reading on the snare mic. all tracks are set to mic/line, the interface has preamps, phantom power turned on for the condenser overheads... and even when we arm the tracks and hit record (with all of the gain knobs turned all the way down to zero) audio is still being recorded into the tracks on the DAW. This shouldn't happen if my interface's gain inputs are all the way down.

Any idea on what's going on here? I'm not sure if it's an issue with my reaper settings or if it's a problem with the interface. I would really appreciate the help. Thank you.
JRicc07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 02:13 AM   #2
DarkStar

Hello JRicc07 and welcome to these forums. You'll find many helpful people here and a lot of useful information.

I cannot think that it is a Reaper-specific problem - more likely something going on in the M-Audio.
  • Has it always happened?
  • Double check that you do not have any loopback routing anywhere?
  • Also, try the M-Audio with another DAW product; see if there is any audio there.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:49 AM   #3
bluzkat

You might want to check for an updated driver (or maybe an older version driver) and see if that makes a difference.

Those M Audio drivers can be a little wonky. (yes, that's a technical term )

Old 12-16-2014, 09:19 AM   #4
JGrabowMST

M-Audio actually removed the driver control of input gain years ago (like, 5 years or something like that). XP was the last operating system to have a driver that supported that feature.

If the gain knobs are turned all the way down, record something and see if your interface has really bad noise, or channel bleed on it. If the sound is a clean mic signal, then it may be time for a new interface. If it's pure static, it's a noisy pre-amp.

Reaper only takes what it's given as far as audio input, it offers no extra level of control beyond what the device drivers can do.
JGrabowMST is offline   Reply With Quote