Old 11-12-2014, 08:43 AM   #1
radaget
Human being with feelings

Default X99 PC CPU platform suitability

Hi..

Can someone please point me in the right direction for this please as it's stopping me from deciding on the PC build for my studio.

I'm trying to understand if the new X99 chipset (5820 / 5930) with increased number of 'lanes' will be beneficial in a home studio and with Reaper as a DAW (or any other VST / VSTi application).

I've been informed that I wont see any difference compared to the previous chips (4790k for instance) even though there are more 'lanes' (physical / logical).

I could resally do with some expert guidance on this.

Does Reaper makes use of these additional channels / lanes?

Thanks

Tim
radaget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 05:37 PM   #2
radaget

can anyone comment / help please?
Old 12-14-2014, 10:24 PM   #3
cyrano

My take on this:

Get the newest hardware, get the newest bugs.

You can only test if newer processors will be advantageous by doing the test. It depends on your OS, your other software, your interface even. And it is a complex matter, so only you can test it for your situation.

Faster hardware should be faster. But to an average computer user, anything more than 2 cores doesn't really add to the speed of the machine. In some cases, having more cores/lanes might even slow it down. Until there's an update for the software to use the new hardware capabilities.
cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:22 AM   #4
radaget

Thanks Cyrano..

I've being trying to locate topics on this forum and to my untechnical eye, isn't Reaper designed to make use of the all the lanes / threads available (moreso than other DAWS)?

So, shouldn't that make the new 5960 / 5930 and 5820 CPU's well suited to Reaper and running multiple VST's / VSTi's all at the same time?

Old 12-15-2014, 06:39 AM   #5
VinodXAgent

I think you misunderstand "lanes". Take a look: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8426/t...7-5820k-tested
VinodXAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:11 PM   #6
radaget

Ah yes, you're right, I am getting confused. I don't fully understand lanes, threads, channels cores etc in relation to CPU performance in certain situations. The reviews I've read of the new chips seem favourable to me. A lot of ppl have been saying that observed performance increase would be negligible and in some cases worse but that's not my interpretation of what I've read.

So I think I'm even more aware of my lack of knowledge on this and dont know how to follow this query through to completion.

In the new year, I'll be replacing my very old laptop with a pc that i want to last for a few years and give me the best possible performance (music production mainly) for about £1500. So I need to fully understand this topic (trying very hard not to call it a thread as that would confuse me even more).

There's an article in soundonsound from a few years ago which stated that Reaper utilised multicore systems well. I thought that would apply to the new X99 chips even more so......HELP
Old 12-15-2014, 02:42 PM   #7
ivansc

Talk to someone like Peter at Scan about what you want to do, give him your budget and see what he comes up with.

At least you will only have one person to complain to if anything goes wrong!
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote