Old 03-21-2014, 11:24 PM   #1
pixeltarian
Human being with feelings

Default Intel Atom tablets and Reaper, anyone?

I'm thinking about getting this:
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...ctID.289455200

Has anyone used Reaper with a dell venue pro tablet? I'm assuming it will work alright, but I'm just gathering a few opinions. This will be for field tracking, and not heavy plugin use.
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:50 PM   #2
foxAsteria

i'm curious about this as well.

looking at the thinkpad tablet 2 for live fx processing. are we really exploring new territory with these units? seeing them for less than $300 is very tempting, but i need to run some plugins smoothly.

nothing too cpu greedy, and i know an old core 2 duo can handle it.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:48 PM   #3
foxAsteria

after some research looks like only the newer "bay trail" atom processors can handle real work.

but has no one here tried to use these for music?

i've been waiting for a portable, pressure sensitive touch screen for at least a decade. probably will go for the surface pro, but it's more than i wanted to spend....
Old 06-12-2014, 06:49 PM   #4
azimuth

Location: The place that's round on the ends and high in the middle

Hi PooFox,

The first gen Surface Pro (which I own and use, 128 GB i5 proc.) can be had for pretty reasonable prices if you can find one. Gets about 5 hrs. on a full charge which is it's main weakness but otherwise it will do all you need it to do.
azimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:08 AM   #5
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by azimuth View Post
Hi PooFox,

The first gen Surface Pro (which I own and use, 128 GB i5 proc.) can be had for pretty reasonable prices if you can find one. Gets about 5 hrs. on a full charge which is it's main weakness but otherwise it will do all you need it to do.
yea it was looking real sweet for about 500 until i realized i would need to plop another couple hundred for a new usb interface, since firewire has been mostly phased out by now... i ended up going for an elitebook 2760p. it's a bigger convertible tablet but it has firewire and an expresscard, which i will use for a powered firewire connection. it should do the trick; i5, ssd, 8gb ram and touch screen.

i'm just wondering if it's worth upgrading from win7 to 8 for the added touch functionality? haven't toured 8 yet but 7 is quite stable.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:12 AM   #6
Klinke

I have a ASUS Transformer T100 (with an Atom Bay Trail), and was really surprised how well Reaper (and SparkLE) works on this machine (using a Kore1 Controller as Audio Interface). Of course you can't use lots of plugin that are heavy on the CPU, but with a sensible selection of plugins, you can do a lot (maybe not a complete production without freezing tracks, but e.g. using guitar amps and effects for two live played guitars with a low latency).
Klinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:41 AM   #7
azimuth

Location: The place that's round on the ends and high in the middle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooFox View Post
i'm just wondering if it's worth upgrading from win7 to 8 for the added touch functionality? haven't toured 8 yet but 7 is quite stable.
I haven't found any reason myself to migrate to Win 8 from 7 as far as recording is concerned, still have 7 on my main rig. The Surface is great for sketching out ideas and jamming with my Jamstix vsti.
azimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:17 PM   #8
Nightowl4272

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooFox View Post
...i ended up going for an elitebook 2760p. it's a bigger convertible tablet but it has firewire and an expresscard, which i will use for a powered firewire connection. it should do the trick; i5, ssd, 8gb ram and touch screen.
Sorry to resurrect this older thread. But I'm thinking of using a Tablet PC live in the near future and I'm wondering how the EliteBook 2760p is working out on stage?
Nightowl4272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:43 PM   #9
Jason Brian Merrill

if you want to use it for live performance, you will need and interface. The onboard stuff wont work well for low latency... I have a transformer book T100 and love it
Old 12-16-2014, 11:32 AM   #10
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightowl4272 View Post
Sorry to resurrect this older thread. But I'm thinking of using a Tablet PC live in the near future and I'm wondering how the EliteBook 2760p is working out on stage?
it's been totally solid, on and off stage. i might go for the 2740 if i lost this, since it's got most of the same features and they go for half the price. onboard firewire is not texas instruments, but it hasn't been a problem at all with my firebox or mackie onyx. only disappointment is the lack of backlit keyboard and no power on the 4-pin fw port (or via expresscard and 6-pin port). also, 128gb on the ss drive fills up guick. btw if you get one, use the new wacom touch drivers for your pen. (Wacom TabletPC 720-10).
Old 12-22-2014, 12:34 AM   #11
Nightowl4272

Thanks for the reply and the heads up about the 2740. It appears that the 2740 & 2760p can also add a 2nd HDD in place of the optical drive with the use of a caddy. Pretty cool...
Nightowl4272 is offline   Reply With Quote