Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 06-23-2019, 10:04 AM   #1
4658dan
Human being with feelings

Default Correct SDPIF routing with Axe Fx III

Hi guys,

I'm really unable to get this working for some reason.

I have the following signal chain:

Guitar -> Axe FX III (via SPDIF) -> Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 -> Studio Monitors & Reaper

I have sound coming from the Axe fine but it's not coming from Reaper.

I have a signal going into Reaper, so can record something but I can't control the volume in real-time. If I adjust the track slider up or down, this does nothing.

I've attached a screenshot of my settings. How do I route this properly so that I have full control in Reaper?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (32.6 KB, 475 views)
4658dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:37 AM   #2
wolfdogg

Sounds odd. The only difference for me is I go 1/4" out of my FX3 into my interface. From there, I go usb out of the interface into my computer (which I assume you're also doing) and no problem with controlling the levels. In Reaper preferences, I have input 1-16 for the inputs.. but using it the way you are, it seems your screen shot would be correct (though I've never used SPDIF).
What's a screen shot of your track you're using to record look like?
wolfdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:13 AM   #3
serr

First, you'll need to clock your Focusrite off its SPDIF input instead of the internal clock.

(Sending clock to the Axe FX to do it the other way around would be more cables and probably isn't an option anyway. The Axe FX probably doesn't have word clock or a digital input.)

After that, the digitized signal should be present on the Focusrite SPDIF input and then into Reaper.

It looks like you're using the Windows version of deferring to the OS audio system (ASIO) instead of connecting to the Focusrite directly in Preferences/Audio/Device. I'd normally suggest to try direct connection to the interface first but I'm OSX and that might not translate.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:31 AM   #4
4658dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdogg View Post
Sounds odd. The only difference for me is I go 1/4" out of my FX3 into my interface. From there, I go usb out of the interface into my computer (which I assume you're also doing) and no problem with controlling the levels. In Reaper preferences, I have input 1-16 for the inputs.. but using it the way you are, it seems your screen shot would be correct (though I've never used SPDIF).
What's a screen shot of your track you're using to record look like?
It's definitely something to do with SPDIF. My interface is connected via firewire but don't think that has anything to do with it.

I've attached a screenshot of my track. As you can see, it recorded something but it's a horrible way of recording if I can't control the volume within Reaper before recording the track.
Attached Images
File Type: png Webp.net-resizeimage (1).png (50.9 KB, 393 views)
Old 06-23-2019, 11:32 AM   #5
ashcat_lt

ASIO is as direct as it gets in windows. Except Focusrite has their own mixer crap in between. It’s probably something in their stupid software.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:39 AM   #6
4658dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
First, you'll need to clock your Focusrite off its SPDIF input instead of the internal clock.

(Sending clock to the Axe FX to do it the other way around would be more cables and probably isn't an option anyway. The Axe FX probably doesn't have word clock or a digital input.)

After that, the digitized signal should be present on the Focusrite SPDIF input and then into Reaper.

It looks like you're using the Windows version of deferring to the OS audio system (ASIO) instead of connecting to the Focusrite directly in Preferences/Audio/Device. I'd normally suggest to try direct connection to the interface first but I'm OSX and that might not translate.
See my attachment for a screenshot of my Saffire Mix Control. I've set the sync source to SPDIF already.

I'm sure it is already connected directly to the interface. I've recorded like this for a long time but this is the first time I'm using SPDIF due to only having just got the Axe. I've tried lots of settings in the preferences but nothing seems to help. I am on Windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
ASIO is as direct as it gets in windows. Except Focusrite has their own mixer crap in between. It’s probably something in their stupid software.
Yes this is what I've been thinking. Something to do with the Saffire Mix Control. I've attached a screenshot of my current settings in there. I've tried various things but nothing does what I want it seems. There must be a perfect combination of settings in this Mix Control and Reaper to get what I want maybe.

Thanks again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Webp.net-compress-image.jpg (36.8 KB, 335 views)
Old 06-23-2019, 11:50 AM   #7
wolfdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4658dan View Post
It's definitely something to do with SPDIF. My interface is connected via firewire but don't think that has anything to do with it.

I've attached a screenshot of my track. As you can see, it recorded something but it's a horrible way of recording if I can't control the volume within Reaper before recording the track.
Not sure if you're in it or not, but the 'Fractal Audio Axe Fx III & FM3' Facebook group is really great for the Axe FX recording/playing out conversation.

Also.. shouldn't your Reaper input be set to Stereo L&R instead of mono for the Axe?
wolfdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:59 AM   #8
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Selecting your OS audio driver in Reaper defers to the system audio settings and routing. Selecting the Focusrite directly in the device dropdown menu on the Audio/Device page is what I was suggesting to try. Unless you're saying that selecting an audio interface directly in Windows is not possible. Forgive the digression if so.

Good on the clock selection then 4658dan.

The Focusrite has a built in digital mixer and the Mix Control software is basically the DAW app for that built in mixer. It likely has the ability to re-route audio between different inputs/outputs too. Might want to investigate that.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:56 PM   #9
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4658dan View Post
Hi guys,

I'm really unable to get this working for some reason.

I have the following signal chain:

Guitar -> Axe FX III (via SPDIF) -> Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 -> Studio Monitors & Reaper

I have sound coming from the Axe fine but it's not coming from Reaper.

I have a signal going into Reaper, so can record something but I can't control the volume in real-time. If I adjust the track slider up or down, this does nothing.

I've attached a screenshot of my settings. How do I route this properly so that I have full control in Reaper?

Thanks!
From your various screenshots, it looks like it is working ok - your recording shows that. Are you just saying you are not able to monitor the signal in Reaper? If so, do you have monitoring enabled?
Other than that, it looks like a Focusrite issue, rather than Reaper.
Adjusting the track fader in Reaper doesn't affect your input volume, only output.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 03:19 PM   #10
Stella645

Turn down the spdif channel fader in Focusrite mixer to disable direct monitor and then you can control level in Reaper with monitoring enabled on the track.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:42 AM   #11
4658dan

Default SOLVED

Thanks for the help everyone.

I've finally fixed the issue. I had to set the Focusrite Mix Control to the 'DAW Tracking' preset and then put monitoring 'on' on my track in Reaper (noob mistake). I now have full control in Reaper!

Last edited by 4658dan; 06-30-2019 at 12:37 PM.