Old 06-22-2019, 06:07 AM   #1
Lynard
Human being with feelings

Default Orchestral Library?

I'm getting ready to purchase an orchestral library. Right now I'm torn between East West Symphonic Gold and Spitfire Albion 1. What would be your recommendation? I write classical, musical genre and could move into soundtrack. My composition teacher uses East West, ProTools & Logic on a MAC. I'll be on Reaper and PC. I'll already have a bit of a learning curve with REAPER, would Spitfire add too much to that? I like the sound of Spitfire but have heard it can be a little difficult at times. Any advice for essential plugins in addition to the basic orchestral library?
Lynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 11:08 AM   #2
Mr. Data

Hi Lynard,

What should I say?
Since your postcount is just 5 as I'm writing this, I first want to say 'Hello' and welcome to the Reaper forums.

I, myself, can't say anything about Spitfire, but I'm quite happy with East West stuff. So, even if this might not be really helpful to you, I'm convinced there are many people who are (probably) able to give more advice.

-Data
Old 06-22-2019, 11:15 AM   #3
peter5992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynard View Post
I'm getting ready to purchase an orchestral library. Right now I'm torn between East West Symphonic Gold and Spitfire Albion 1. What would be your recommendation? I write classical, musical genre and could move into soundtrack. My composition teacher uses East West, ProTools & Logic on a MAC. I'll be on Reaper and PC. I'll already have a bit of a learning curve with REAPER, would Spitfire add too much to that? I like the sound of Spitfire but have heard it can be a little difficult at times. Any advice for essential plugins in addition to the basic orchestral library?

East West libraries are great ... Symphonic Orchestra is pretty old by now, but they still keep putting out bug fixes. If you have the budget you might want look at their Hollywood Series, Hollywood Strings especially are exceptional, as is Hollywood Brass. They are also more expensive, but remember that they have a cloud system where you pay a fixed fee per month (upwards of $20) which is much more palatable if you're still a student that forking over several hundred dollars for one library.

As to learning curve, well that comes with the territory ... mastering virtual instruments is going to take several years, similar to learning how to play a real instrument. Especially if you are a student that time invested will pay itself back.

Can't comment on Spitfire, but there are youtube videos with comparisons between all the different string libraries.
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:10 PM   #4
Lynard

Default Advice

Thanks all. I appreciate your taking time to share your perspectives.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:29 PM   #5
Greg Savage

What's your budget, there's so much good stuff out there
Greg Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:50 PM   #6
Mordi

The best orchestral sample libraries that I've come across so far is the Orchestral Tools Berlin range.

They are quite pricey, but right now they are having a sale on the so-called expansion packs.

http://orchestraltools.com/

That said, Spitfires Albion One is a great starter collection. You get strings, woodwinds, brass and percussion. In a while, you'll be looking for more granular control over each instrument.
Mordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:59 AM   #7
Lynard

Default Orchestral Library

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Savage View Post
What's your budget, there's so much good stuff out there
For right now, somewhere around $400-$800. I can do more later, but just want to get a good start and be able to write without a lot of limitations with something that sounds realistic.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:18 AM   #8
Michael AD

I recommend Amadeus Symphonic Orchestra for $149. Yep, only $149 and it sounds terrific.

Check it out:

https://sonicscores.com/amadeus/
Michael AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:17 PM   #9
Lynard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael AD View Post
I recommend Amadeus Symphonic Orchestra for $149. Yep, only $149 and it sounds terrific.

Check it out:

https://sonicscores.com/amadeus/
It really is quite impressive for the money...and it looks a lot more straightforward to learn too. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:21 PM   #10
Greg Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynard View Post
For right now, somewhere around $400-$800. I can do more later, but just want to get a good start and be able to write without a lot of limitations with something that sounds realistic.
If you're looking to pitch while you learn or the goal is to make some money at this I would look into some high-end libraries.

For starters, I'd go with this https://sonuscore.com/shop/the-orchestra/

Not too pricey for an all in one and the sound is good. I've been using it lately for sports, dramedy and trailer cues.

Amadeus, don't get me wrong it's not bad $100 (student discount) to me the sounds are bleh but then again can't really beat the price

I'd also suggest checking the following

Native Instruments Komplete
Project Sam
8dio

There's a lot of third parties out there where you really piece things together (takes a little time) but these companies listed all have great sounds

Last edited by Greg Savage; 06-24-2019 at 11:30 PM.
Greg Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:54 AM   #11
Kabraxis

I own both and some more, and using them all the time. Here's my two cents:

If you want to compose Classical music, you definitely should split your instruments in two categories: Ensemble and Solo. I'm sure you know what those two words mean.

For Ensembles, you have plethora of choices and most of them are mindblowing. As people before me mentioned Spitfire, East West, Orchestral Tools, 8Dio, Strezov, Project SAM, Komplete Symphony Collection and many other companies produced easy-to-use, divisi'ed ensemble libraries for Strings, Brass, Woodwinds and Choirs.

But for Solo instruments, story is very different. Many of the companies I've mentioned above *also* have separate Solo libraries - and most of them suck. They are either hard to use or sound unrealistic. And mostly not suitable for quickly drafting ideas.

For your question, you should be aware of neither Spitfire Albion nor EWSG *DON'T* have anything Solo included.

I always find Kontakt libraries easier to use (dependes on producer tho) than East West's PLAY interface. If I had one shot, I'd use it with a Kontakt library. East West's libraries have more variation, but also more complicated to use than they should be.

For Solo, you need to look very hard. There's only few good ones around, and they are usually expensive - to the point of hiring a real musician comes cheaper.

By said, I hope you meant "Classical" Classical music and not Cinematic Symphony music.
Kabraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:50 PM   #12
Lynard

Such great leads! Thanks everyone.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:03 PM   #13
cyoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabraxis View Post
For your question, you should be aware of neither Spitfire Albion nor EWSG *DON'T* have anything Solo included.
Actually, EastWest's older Symphonic Orchestra library does include soloists for pretty much every section (strings, woodwinds, brass). But, it also lacks more recent sampling tech developments like true legato or more extensive round robin counts, so they're a bit tougher to pull off convincingly. IMO it's a great place to start if you'd like to write for a traditional orchestral layout with individual instruments, rather than the mixed ensembles a la Albion.

Best,
cyoder is offline   Reply With Quote