Old 11-13-2016, 03:40 AM   #1
Mr. PC
Human being with feelings

Default 2 slightly Slower SSDs or 1 slightly faster?

Hi, sorry I'm asking a lot of tech questions here, but in #hardware they won't really understand the needs of a DAW user.

So as far as streaming samples, would I get better random-read performance by buying a 1tb Evo 960, or buying a 500gb and 250gb Evo 960? The 1 TB would have higher IOPS and SLC cache, so would that outweigh the benefits of having a separate OS and samples drive?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10698/...o-m2-pcie-ssds
Mr. PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:03 AM   #2
lolilol1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. PC View Post
Hi, sorry I'm asking a lot of tech questions here, but in #hardware they won't really understand the needs of a DAW user.

So as far as streaming samples, would I get better random-read performance by buying a 1tb Evo 960, or buying a 500gb and 250gb Evo 960? The 1 TB would have higher IOPS and SLC cache, so would that outweigh the benefits of having a separate OS and samples drive?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10698/...o-m2-pcie-ssds
Go for the larger SSD because the smaller ones have shorter lifetime and performance drastically decreases when they are close to be full.
lolilol1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 12:10 PM   #3
jerome_oneil

If you're concerned about I/O performance, I'd go with three to five of the small ones in a Raid-0 array. You'll get 0 fault tolerance in that setup, so if you wreck one disk, you lose everything, but it will move bits to and from disk faster than anything else you can come up with. It's a shitty solution for long term or working storage, but for temporary "session" storage it's great.

Set up a striped set for active work sessions, and a more HA volume (Raid-5, etc..) for longer term storage.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote