Old 06-05-2018, 07:36 AM   #1
Rimokatolik
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI live routing

Hi, I have read bunch of forum threads and watched videos about MIDI routing, but they are different from what I am trying and failing to achieve.

I am trying to have one track that will receive input from my custom application that manages all MIDI devices through one loopMIDI port and send them back to another loopMIDI port, so that REAPER can effectively be my MIDI recorder/editor/... However, at the same time, I want some MIDI channels to go to another tracks (1 to 1) where each track will have different VSTi on it, so that I can get additional sounds. Majority of sound is coming from Hauptwerk which is also another VSTi in REAPER, but my application is sending MIDI directly to Hauptwerk, so I don't need REAPER to manage that, just to record everything on receiving track and play it back to my application when needed.

So, how do I have one track to receive all MIDI input in REAPER and send some of that input to other tracks? I cannot get that to work at all even without messing with VSti.

Thank you
Rimokatolik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 03:50 PM   #2
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimokatolik View Post
So, how do I have one track to receive all MIDI input in REAPER and send some of that input to other tracks? I cannot get that to work at all even without messing with VSti.

Thank you
i'm not confident i understand correctly, but can you just send all the MIDI to all the receiving tracks and then just filter out the bits you don't need on each particular VSTi receiving track?
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 04:08 PM   #3
Rimokatolik

I can do that if that is the way to go, but it appears weird to me. I guess it will work fine, as I can do any MIDI management on my side, but if I want to do anything within REAPER I am out of luck. Also, this way, I need to record MIDI on all tracks, instead of just one. Still doable, but I thought there must be more elegant solution.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:36 PM   #4
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimokatolik View Post
I can do that if that is the way to go, but it appears weird to me. I guess it will work fine, as I can do any MIDI management on my side, but if I want to do anything within REAPER I am out of luck. Also, this way, I need to record MIDI on all tracks, instead of just one. Still doable, but I thought there must be more elegant solution.
I probably don't understand, but why would you need to record on all tracks? I thought you wanted to record on one track that was receiving all MIDI info & then have additional tracks receiving certain bits of this info ( which can be filtered in Reaper, with a JS or Piz plugin, if needed)?
Old 06-05-2018, 04:45 PM   #5
domzy

if you have a track receiving all 16 channels and then you route a send to another track, you can filter it to a particular MIDI channel, note range, velocity etc. before it gets to the VSTi - does this help?
Old 06-05-2018, 04:52 PM   #6
Rimokatolik

That's exactly what is not working for me - I have single track receiving all 16 channels from one loopMIDI port, has hardware send to another loopMIDI port, and trying to route some or all channels to another track does not work for me. I will verify if I can achieve everything I want with directly receiving filtered input on all needed tracks without routing from this one that has all. Thank you
Old 06-05-2018, 05:10 PM   #7
domzy

i don't know why a regular MIDI send wouldn't work from your master track. Have you tried it without the loopMIDI hardware send connected - do the VSTis receive MIDI then?