Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 03-09-2019, 04:39 PM   #1
sightlessness
Human being with feelings

Default Inspector track... awesome... why not more themes have it?

I hope I don't hurt anyone's feelings, but anyone can make a pretty theme,
whereas it seems Albert managed to go beyond what was offered and made an
inspector track like. Awesome, very useful, and provided links to youtube videos
on how to have your layout in a way that at least to SOME make workflow a breeze.

What I mean is: A shout to all themers (WT included, JRENG included, cubic100000 included, my fave ones ofc) and "invite" them to make a track like that.

I love Cubase and that's why I love that Inspector track.
(I hate Cubase because on my end is a fkcing mess, Windows 10... I have a proper Elements license)... Ok too much information...

Cheers.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:50 PM   #2
foxAsteria

AFAIK that has nothing to do with themes. You can dock the mixer one track wide, which is what I do, or you can use a script like HeDa's Track Inspector.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:17 PM   #3
sightlessness

Do you have/use Albert's theme?

Edit: It does have to do with themes, no other theme has an inspector track.
And yes, that HEDA thingie looks very nice. A little bit too much cluttered though.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:32 PM   #4
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by sightlessness View Post
Do you have/use Albert's theme?
Link?
Old 03-09-2019, 11:26 PM   #5
cubic13

Hi, sightlessness

I guess that you are talking of the Pro X-TOOLS Gold ED. V3, which is not free (I precise this because the paiement needed to get it doesn't allow me to see how it work). But from what I see in the screenshots visible in its dedicated thread, the so-called "inspector" is actually just a mixer strip shown in the docker with a dedicated layout for it.

So, sure it is doable, and I would do it right away if another mixer view was at the user disposal. Sadly, it's not the case and we only have one. Which means that if we have the "inspector" visible, the mixer is no longer available. Though having been the object of several requests through the years, we are still stuck with only one mixer view.

So, no "inspector" for me, sorry : it's not worth the hassle if almost unusable for users like me that need a regular view of the mixer to be reachable...
cubic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:59 PM   #6
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubic13 View Post
if we have the "inspector" visible, the mixer is no longer available.
No?

Cycle Action:

Works perfectly for me, but surely there is a script by now to do the same thing.

Yea you can customize the mixer panel to a degree, but no theme can add elements that another can't. There's nothing special about that theme, though I admit it looks pretty nice. I've removed some elements in my theme that I don't care about, but it's basically all there in half the space. I just use a Cycle Action to toggle the full mixer.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:01 AM   #7
cubic13

Looks nice indeed, foxAsteria : I guess that's your personal theme, derived from a v4 mod. But the main thing remains : even with this cycle action combined with screensets/snapshots management, which is rather difficult to set up for an average user and not distributable as a theme in the stash, we still can't see at the same time the inspector and the mixer.

So, is it worth developing a dedicated inspector layout, as the essential interest of an inspector (for me) is to precisely have them both at the same time, one dedicated only for a given selected track, this, with two different ways of displaying the mixer controls ? Actually, I even think that if an inspector feature could be added to the Reaper UI, it should be themable as an added panel, beside the already available ones (tcp, mcp...), not as a mixer layout.

But two different views of the mixer would already help to make eventual "inspector" layouts truely useful...

Last edited by cubic13; 03-10-2019 at 02:08 AM.
cubic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 02:38 AM   #8
foxAsteria

Quote:
we still can't see at the same time the inspector and the mixer.

But two different views of the mixer would already help to make eventual "inspector" layouts truely useful...
For sure. I have a lot of use cases for multiple simultaneous mixers.

My only point here is that no themes have the added feature of an actual inspector track. They merely create an inspector-type layout for the mixer track, which you can dock, as I have done. You can always do that, no matter which theme.

But no theme can force Reaper to allow 2 simultaneous mixers, as you say, so it's not up to the theme if there is or isn't an inspector track. Just to be clear.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:29 AM   #9
sightlessness

Quote:
Looks nice indeed..... But the main thing remains : even with this cycle action combined with screensets/snapshots management, which is rather difficult to set up for an average user and not distributable as a theme in the stash, we still can't see at the same time the inspector and the mixer.

So, is it worth developing a dedicated inspector layout, as the essential interest of an inspector (for me) is to precisely have them both at the same time, one dedicated only for a given selected track, this, with two different ways of displaying the mixer controls ? Actually, I even think that if an inspector feature could be added to the Reaper UI, it should be themable as an added panel, beside the already available ones (tcp, mcp...), not as a mixer layout.

YES YES YES YES TO ALL, almost, lol.

What I didn't know because I don't really theme (as in a verb, make themes, lol) (too lazy, lol) is that Screensets can't be implemented in the shareable theme.

And YES, you are right, this is something that I would love to see in Reaper 6: Inspector Feature added, themeable as an added panel as you mentioned.

I disagree about the difficulty of setting screensets, I think is rather easy.

But I get your point.

And I love having the mixer open all the time but the inspector track is so useful honest to god when I just open a project sometimes I don't need the mixer just select a track and have that AWESOME Inspector track. Or when I doodle with my guitar/bass and plugins.

YOU ANSWERED MY QUESTION thanks: Why? Reaper is not ready I guess
Old 03-11-2019, 06:35 AM   #10
emwhy

Over in the Pre Release section there were some development builds several months back where the GUI of a selected effect could be displayed in the TCP. This obviously is not an inspector, but it seemed like a cool feature. It only worked for Reaper's effects, but there was talk of making the API available to other developers. It would also be dependent on the theme.
emwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:23 PM   #11
hopi

Quote:
Looks nice indeed, foxAsteria : I guess that's your personal theme, derived from a v4 mod. But the main thing remains : even with this cycle action combined with screensets/snapshots management, which is rather difficult to set up for an average user and not distributable as a theme in the stash, we still can't see at the same time the inspector and the mixer.

you are right on all points.... cuz reaper [very sadly] has only one mixer... BUT Heda has a lua, his Heda VIP Mixer.... which we can get for a very small donation $5 will get ya there...
And with it we can keep the docked MCP as inspector and ALSO have several other mixers up and running all at the same time...
AND they can be tweaked to various sizes, both for their window and for how the tracks in them look.... so we can have tons of tracks in them very narrow or just a few very wide...
IMO... every reaper user should get this!
Old 03-14-2019, 12:14 AM   #12
Sju

I think using a mixer as an inspector is not an ideal solution. Ever tried dragging like an IO pin or an effect from the inspector into TCP? It starts autoscrolling the tracks in the inspector, and prevents vertical autoscrolling in TCP while you're holding the pin/effect on the cursor. Maybe a script could do this properly.
Sju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:52 AM   #13
emwhy

Heda's track inspector is great. I've been using it for over a year. Yes it may appear cluttered at first glance, but he's made it so you can choose the elements you want to display. I dock it left on my display and can dock the mixer elsewhere.
emwhy is offline   Reply With Quote