Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 05-23-2020, 06:45 PM   #1
timatkins
Human being with feelings

Default [Fixed, kind of] Videos in session causing Windows to freeze, needing hard reboot.

[SEEMINGLY FIXED - Disabling Intel Turbo Boost on the CPU seems to have fixed this issue]

Experiencing a big problem on my partners PC in the form of nasty crashes, completely freezing Windows 10 and forcing a hard reboot.

This happens in multiple sessions, but only whilst running Reaper with video. Pro Tools and other software seem to run with video without complaint. Sometimes we can run Reaper for a few hours without issue, sometimes the freeze happens every 15 minutes. No noticeable solid steps to repro, seemingly random - has happened when Reaper was in playback and whilst it wasn't. The problem does not occur in sessions without video.

I've tried A LOT of troubleshooting (listed below specs) and narrowed things down as much as possible. My latest theory is that Reaper's video playback simply does not like the hardware in this machine. Since there is no BSOD, no minidump gets created and the Event Viewer contains nothing obvious. It's proving very difficult to pinpoint the source of the problem. If anyone can advise on how to gather any useful crash logs that would be fantastic, but i fear this may be beyond the realm of possibility.

Running latest Windows 10 updates and latest drivers for all of the following:

Intel i5 9600k Coffee Lake CPU
Gigabyte Nvidia RTX 20606GB OC GPU
Aorus Ultra Z390 Motherboard
Corsair 32GB RAM
Crucial 1TB SSD
2TB WD mechanical drive
Reaper 6.10 and 5.99
NZXT H510 Case, stock fans
Noctua 14S CPU cooler

Things I've thus far tried to no avail:

Utilised both in-built Realtek audio and an RME Fireface UCX. I disabled Realtek in BIOS completely whilst testing with the RME.

Ran same sessions on a different PC with no issue.

Different video files, different codecs.

Created a new session with only 1 video track - still freezing.

Portable install of both 6.10 and 5.99 (no VST's, SWS or custom scripts)

Pro Tools ran a session of the same video and audio that had caused issues in Reaper, this did NOT freeze the PC after testing in PT for several hours.

Scoured Event Viewer, but failed to find any obvious culprits. I am a bit new to looking in here, can share if anyone would like a peek (just tell me what i need to share).

Complete reformat of System Drive and clean reinstall of Win10. Then running fresh Reaper install with no extensions/scripts.

Rolled back and forth on GPU drivers.

Rolled back and forth on Windows updates.

Rolling back and forth with VLC versions.

Uninstalled VLC and used FFMPEG and QT to decode video.

Updated BIOS.

Swapped the system SSD with one from another fully operational PC.

Swapped out RAM with some from another fully operational PC.

Swapped out GPU with 2070 Super from another fully operational PC.

Disconnected USB devices.

Disabled bluetooth and wifi.

Profiled system specs in both NZXT Cam and System Profiler, nothing out the ordinary, temperatures seem fine.

Benchmark tests with Furmark and Cinebench return expected results.

please send help

Last edited by timatkins; 05-27-2020 at 08:33 AM. Reason: New testing results
timatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:56 PM   #2
foxAsteria

Make sure you have a pagefile enabled, or Windows won't create minidumps.

Even when I've had total lockups like that, BlueScreenView (free app) will still show something.

Maybe try DriverBooster to check for driver updates. Be sure to uninstall it afterward to avoid its annoying "features."
Old 05-24-2020, 06:54 AM   #3
timatkins

Default BSOD

Thanks for the reply, I tried Blue Screen View, but it did not reveal any minidumps relating to the freeze It doesn't seem like they are being created when the freeze happens.

Am a bit loathe to install any of the driver checking tools available - they all seem to be quite risky in terms of malware. But at this point i might be forced to! Thank you for the recommend.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:23 PM   #4
timatkins

Default Update - it was VLC that did it

After some more testing, it seems that the freezes happen whilst running video within any Reaper session. Seems stable in an audio only session. Playback of video in standalone VLC seems fine. Tried uninstalling VLC and using FFMPEG/Quicktime instead for video encoding, but the problem persisted.

Last edited by timatkins; 05-24-2020 at 05:39 PM. Reason: debug info changed
Old 05-26-2020, 07:14 AM   #5
timatkins

Default Intel Turbo Boost

Quick update: a kind audio programmer colleague advised me to try disabling the Intel CPU turbo boost. This seems to have fixed the issue Still testing, but after a several hours it's still running smooth.

Will be taking a CPU speed hit of course, which is a shame, but manageable for the work we're doing.