Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 05-23-2020, 09:16 AM   #1
mykrobinson
Human being with feelings

Default Jack - Route Output to Different Device?

I need a little help. I have been tracking the music portion of our church services since COVID lockdowns, then mixing it at home and syncing with the video for later broadcast. We're slowly getting to doing true "live" services, and would like to continue with a similar level of production. My thought is to "live mix" best I can from the Behringer X32 into Reaper, but I need to be able to hear what I am doing. This was easy before because I would just listen at home on my monitors while mixing.

But going forward, I will be in the santuary, theoretically trying to create a reasonable submix so the FOH guy can concentrate on what's going on in the room.

I use my Linux laptop for tracking and I use JACK as the audio subsystem, if that's the right word.

What I need help with is figuring out how to keep the USB from X32 as my input, but I'd like to be able to plug headphones directly into my laptop to listen on my own headphones.

Is this possible, and if so, can someone help me set up JACK to do so?

mykrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:11 AM   #2
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykrobinson View Post
What I need help with is figuring out how to keep the USB from X32 as my input, but I'd like to be able to plug headphones directly into my laptop to listen on my own headphones.
If I'm understanding what you are trying to achieve, I would think you would need a stereo pair patched from the X32 outputs to Pulse Audio's inputs.

I use a Behringer UMC1820 and do a separate phones feed using physical outputs 3 and 4, which feed a headphone distribution amp, but I could imagine them being virtual patched to Pulse Audio using JACK. I've never tried it, but I think it might be possible.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:17 PM   #3
s wave

So if you are tracking on your laptop... (using an interface or external sound card) and are on Jack - you want to use you PC audio to hear it? I am just guessing here.

I have PAVU (gui) for Pulse routing. And Alsamixer (gui) for Alsa configuration. Usually most people have REAPER to 'auto suspend' pulse.

If you could just quickly add some important info - like the basic pc system/laptop... the OS/DE... and your other routing info you might have...

By live tracking - try to define this a bit... thx gl
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 03:57 AM   #4
mykrobinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
So if you are tracking on your laptop... (using an interface or external sound card) and are on Jack - you want to use you PC audio to hear it? I am just guessing here.

I have PAVU (gui) for Pulse routing. And Alsamixer (gui) for Alsa configuration. Usually most people have REAPER to 'auto suspend' pulse.

If you could just quickly add some important info - like the basic pc system/laptop... the OS/DE... and your other routing info you might have...

By live tracking - try to define this a bit... thx gl

The laptop has an i5 @2.5GHz, 16gb of RAM, and a 256gb ssd, running Manjaro with KDE, fully patched, with the latest version of Reaper and the compatible SWS Extensions

What I'm trying to achieve is a second mix dedicated to the live stream so the front of house guy can focus on mixing for the room. I can monitor through the X32 but if the FOH guy accidentally hits the wrong button, it can either kill my feed to headphones, or blow an eardrum due to the way that soloing works on that console. This can be fixed by routing to a hardware out on the x32 and monitoring from there instead, but I'm not able to get a headphone amp local. So my hope was that a short term solution would be to monitor the audio directly on my laptop, setting the X32 as the input and the interest laptop audio/headphone jack as an output.

I'll test this morning by moving a few virtual cables in jack. The more I look at that picture I posted in the original post, I think I may see a way to do this. I can't test until I get back to the building since the interface I have at home doesn't work in Linux.
mykrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:10 PM   #5
s wave

Pulse can route multiple inputs as well as route multiple outputs. (alsa, I think routes via on output /one input?) Have you looked at the PAVU GUI for Pulse (Pulse Audio Volume Control?) you can route it for all devices or streaming or hardware in or out - worth looking at. https://startpage.com/sp/search "a second mix dedicated to the live stream" don't quite comprehend this... but if you have a feed - coming from the front guy... and this works - why can't you put a audio limiter or audio governor in line to control OVER VOLUME - [I know Air windows has one - they are used from stopping an overload and clipping in podcasting an idea]

Another idea: Can you use a splitter and or in line headset amplifier if needed? But if you have a fee already.

Now if you are using Reaper with auto suspend pulse - which most people do... and you are routing with jack - (you have ALSAMIXER right? if not I would load this GUI) here is the probable answer? :

"Solution: using the alsa_out module.

To use them, you start JACK as normal. Then you start an instance of alsa_in or alsa_out for each additional device (and “direction”) that you want to use. alsa_out will create a set of ports representing the playback capabilities of the device, and alsa_in will represent the capture/recording capabilities

So:

arecord --list-devices to find name of built-in soundcard (hw:0,0)
alsa_out -d hw:0,0 to create the alsa_out ports that now appear in jack
Connect up metronome to alsa_out port in JACK - now plays metronome out of headphone socket and any other audio desired out of USB soundcard!"

described here - https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...to-route-diffe just ideas... with jack : https://signalessence.com/use-jack-a...r-microphones/ gl
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote