Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 05-22-2020, 04:31 PM   #1
Kusho
Human being with feelings

Default Anyone using E-RM Midiclock to slave sync Reaper?

Hi there,

I find Reaper great and I understand no piece of software can do everything. Having said that I wonder if someone can clarify something for me.

I am recording into Reaper using Korg Prologue 16's arpeggiator and BPM-LFO.
I have tried many different configurations but I cannot get Reaper and the Prologue to stay in sync. Over 2 minutes they become noticeably out of sync.
This is the same no matter if Reaper is the sync master or slave. I understand there are always issues with USB, MIDI jitter, latency.

However, I have tried the same setup with Ableton Live Lite and found it syncs perfectly when slaving to the Prologue clock. It's also perfect when using external sync from an Arturia Keystep sending clock to both Ableton and Prologue separately.

I have invested a good amount of time learning and becoming familiar with Reaper, bought the non-commercial license and I find it great to use so I don't want to move my entire workflow to Ableton. I don't think Ableton is as good as Reaper when it comes to mixing and producing, it's designed best for live performance.

My current workaround then is to record my playing into Ableton, then export the audio and import that into Reaper, where I find the tempo lines up perfectly. Unfortunately I don't then also get the MIDI recording which is good for working with harmony, melody, etc after recording.

It looks like to solve the sync issue with Reaper I need to buy another piece of gear.
I am looking at getting the E-RM Midiclock+ to hopefully solve the sync issue and allow me to work solely in Reaper. Is anyone using E-RM Midiclock as a master clock to slave Reaper to?

Does anyone know why Reaper might struggle in this area?

Thanks very much
Old 05-28-2020, 12:24 PM   #2
maxdembo

I've been trying this with Reaper and the Beatstep Pro. I kinda gave up and started doing a similar work around to you, but with bitwig and an external mixer. Not an ideal solution.

Reaper doesnt appear to like being a slave.
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 06:49 PM   #3
Kusho

I'm guessing this is a question that has been asked countless times before and people are tired of answering "No, you can't do that" [...] -"Why?..."

Reaper slaves perfectly to Ableton as a software Rewire device, but Reaper can't record audio as a Rewire device.
I'm guessing there might be big coding hurdles around achieving good quality audio recording and playback while slaving to MIDI clock, which might mean a complete rewrite of some core Reaper code. I can understand the problem there, starting from scratch potentially. Perhaps Reaper's starting goal was audio-centred so slaving to clock was never intended. I can only speculate.

Okay so for anyone searching for a solution to this, here's what I ended up doing:

Bought an ERM midiclock. This is a great little unit but unfortunately doesn't solve my problem. Reaper it seems won't slave to incoming MIDI clock. So I'll be selling this again.

Next I bought an Expert Sleepers USAMO -Universal Sample Accurate MIDI Output. This is what you need (there are similar devices out there). The USAMO VST in Reaper sends an audio signal through the audio interface to the USAMO unit, which converts it to MIDI. USAMO sends this MIDI to the external MIDI device. This can be notes or CC or just clock.

I'm totally stoked with USAMO. Compatibility may depend on your audio device, check the compatibility list. I had to update my Yamaha Steinberg USB audio drivers for USAMO to work correctly. Check your audio interface drivers.

Hope this may help someone.