Old 05-23-2020, 08:10 PM   #1
daniellumertz
Human being with feelings

Default In a Bus for some time, easy way?

Hi, sometimes I want to put an FX in some tracks and in certain parts of my music (without putting the fx individually per track as I want it to affect all not per track).

The way I think should be easier is create a bus send everybody there via an send post FX ( since many of these tracks are VST instruments) and automate the volume to -infinite to these tracks so the output be only from the bus ( or any other value if want in parallel ). Is there an easy way? I know that rendering would be much easier but trying to make it editable after.

Also can't wait to reaper let me organize a little bit better my automation lanes like switch the order hehe

EDIT2:
Sometimes what slow this process is that I decide the bus after I already made some automation in volume and pan and have to copy all that to the receive automation of bus, and it is some work.... What would be very helpfull is to automate the send to parents/master or the ability to assign temporally parents.

TLDR: Any way to automate send master/parents button in tracks?

Last edited by daniellumertz; 05-23-2020 at 09:49 PM.
daniellumertz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:18 PM   #2
valy

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellumertz View Post
Hi, sometimes I want to put an FX in some tracks and in certain parts of my music (without putting the fx individually per track as I want it to affect all not per track).

The way I think should be easier is create a bus send everybody there via an send post FX ( since many of these tracks are VST instruments) and automate the volume to -infinite to these tracks so the output be only from the bus ( or any other value if want in parallel ). Is there an easy way? I know that rendering would be much easier but trying to make it editable after.

Also can't wait to reaper let me organize a little bit better my automation lanes like switch the order hehe
I might not be understanding precisely what you want to do...but it sounds very similar to how I handle effects. I use post-FX sends from the source track to an track with the FX on it. If I only want the effect in a certain part of the song, I'll automate the send mute (or the volume, it depends on the effect).
valy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:23 PM   #3
daniellumertz

Hi valy, I made an edit just now hehe. I think the easier way would be the tracks to either have an option to automate the send to master/parents, so I can mute when I want to send to the bus. Or have an option to Assign parents without the tracks actually being in a folder, and to automate that. if this makes some sense. Maybe I am missing something.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:25 PM   #4
valy

Ah, so you want to mute the source track when sending to the effects track? Like not hear the dry signal?
Old 05-23-2020, 08:29 PM   #5
daniellumertz

yes, using what I wrote in the first post I can do that, but I wish that I didn't have to turn my volume down and copy everything . Having an option to automate send to parents/master would resolve. Or parents that are not in an folder that is a little bit weird maybe as it would be a bus without the dry channel....
Old 05-24-2020, 07:34 AM   #6
valy

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellumertz View Post
yes, using what I wrote in the first post I can do that, but I wish that I didn't have to turn my volume down and copy everything . Having an option to automate send to parents/master would resolve. Or parents that are not in an folder that is a little bit weird maybe as it would be a bus without the dry channel....
I think I'm starting to understand what you mean...you can't just automate the mute of the source track, because that will mute the send too, right?
Old 05-24-2020, 09:30 AM   #7
rncwalker

Remember, that in Reaper a track can be anything.
Make 1 track as a Sub master and turn off all other parents/master's on the other tracks and set sends to the new Sub Master. the Sub Master will have it's parents/master on.

Also "sometimes I want to put an FX in some tracks and in certain parts of my music", place the effect directly on the track, Kenny has videos on how these things can be done, so check out the video's.

Robert
rncwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:47 AM   #8
daniellumertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by valy View Post
I think I'm starting to understand what you mean...you can't just automate the mute of the source track, because that will mute the send too, right?
yes, the only way that I can find is
1. create bus
2. create sends from tracks in post fx
3. Copy what already are in volume and pan automation to sends volume and pan automation.
4. automate where I don't want the bus ( either mute or the volume )
5. automate where I don't want the dry signal ( volume fader to -inf)

maybe creating an script or a custom action will do this trick

if There was an fader to control the amount going to parents/master this process would be

1. create a bus
2 Create sends post fader
3. automate where I don't want the bus ( either mute or the volume )
4. automate where I don't want the dry signal ( volume to parents/master fader to -inf)
Old 07-08-2020, 05:14 AM   #9
daniellumertz

bump to see if anyone knows a better solution,

I made a script to do the steps I described, will post soon if there isn't better ideas hheheh

script doing the steps I described in other post

1) Send Track: Create A send(post-fx) for selected tracks, to the track with items selected,
2) Send Track: Copy volume/pan automation to the (send volume/pan envelopes) (only where is an selected Item in Receive track),
3) Send Track: (Send Volume Envelope) at 0 (only where is NOT an selected Item in Receive track ),
4) Send Track: Volume Envelope at 0 (only where is an selected Item in Receive track),
*)also creates fades for that
Old 07-08-2020, 06:47 AM   #10
Coachz

I just use a track template for my FX bus and quick adder to call it. My templates already have the FX bus but if I have a project that needs it, I hit one key (h for me) and quick adder pops up and I type "fx" and hit enter and I get my fx bus with all of my fx already loaded.

Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:24 AM   #11
daniellumertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
I just use a track template for my FX bus and quick adder to call it. My templates already have the FX bus but if I have a project that needs it, I hit one key (h for me) and quick adder pops up and I type "fx" and hit enter and I get my fx bus with all of my fx already loaded.

well the topic is about send track(s) for a bus for a period of time, not during all project. And also to utilize the vol/pan envelope, if any, of the tracks going to a bus.

the thing with folders and this task is that it is limited to adjacent tracks...
Old 07-08-2020, 07:53 AM   #12
Coachz

Sorry, I misread the question.
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:19 AM   #13
daniellumertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Sorry, I misread the question.
I think I written it too complicated, I should have been more directly to the point