Old 05-20-2020, 04:15 PM   #1
Iris Shrink
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper freezing when auto-saving.

I've been noticing that I periodically am getting a problem where Reaper will freeze up for about three seconds or so. Playback continues, and keystrokes are received, but the screen doesn't update to show button presses, item slicing, etc. Not a huge deal, but annoying.

I brought up a system resources monitor to try to diagnose what's causing this. I noticed that every time Reaper freezes, there's a spike in usage to the disk that I store my auto-saves in. So it's my guess that the freeze is being caused by the auto-save happening in the background.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this? The drive it's auto-saving to is a spinning disk drive, so it's a little slower, but I feel like it still shouldn't cause a problem.
Iris Shrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:04 AM   #2
xpander

You can set up the auto-save so that it doesn't happen during the playback or recording. Options/Preferences/Project.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:20 AM   #3
Iris Shrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
You can set up the auto-save so that it doesn't happen during the playback or recording. Options/Preferences/Project.
I do have it set up to not happen during recording, which is good, but it's disrupting my editing workflow, so it's almost preferable to have it happen during playback rather than when I'm trying to do something with my cursor.