Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 05-08-2020, 09:44 AM   #1
Soli Deo Gloria
Human being with feelings

Default Problem with Configuration import from Windows 7

I had posted this bug here, then changed opinion and posted it in the Linux Bugs section, but I see that it will definitely get lost amidst the plethora of other posts : https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=480 Sorry for the back and forth, but this forum is behaving quite badly. I cannot even edit anything, right now, without it spiting out some crazy layout for my posts. It has happened in the past, but today itś just terrible...

Last edited by Soli Deo Gloria; 05-12-2020 at 06:52 AM.
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 06:54 AM   #2
Soli Deo Gloria

I indulge myself in a gentle bump, since I think this issue can be rather problematic for many Windows emigrees, given the high level of customization that Reaper allows...
Old 05-12-2020, 08:22 AM   #3
SmajjL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
but this forum is behaving quite badly.
I am a little bit "Schooby Doo" but I am nice and I try

Last edited by SmajjL; 05-12-2020 at 08:24 AM. Reason: *bump* :)
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:35 AM   #4
Glennbo

Quote:
I indulge myself in a gentle bump, since I think this issue can be rather problematic for many Windows emigrees, given the high level of customization that Reaper allows...
For myself, I didn't try to export any of my Windows configuration for REAPER because I expected that there would be invalid paths and references to things in Windows that don't exist in Linux, and that something might not show up as a problem right away, but then rear it's ugly head later when I'm knee deep in an important project.

I did spend a few days booting back and forth between Linux and Windows to manually set REAPER up to behave like I had it setup in Windows.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 11:44 AM   #5
JamesPeters

My Reaper preferences imported to Linux (from a previous Windows install) with no problems. Some default paths were different (VST path, media explorer, RS5K, etc.) because of the new file structure so I had to set those, but everything else was good. The only thing that confused me at first: I had to unbind the ALT key from XFCE being used to grab/move/resize windows (Window Manager Tweaks, Accessibility).

Of course I also had to get Linux versions of ReaPack and SWS, but that was easy.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:15 PM   #6
Soli Deo Gloria

@Glennbo : hmm, I see. Well, I don't know if that's just unavoidable or there could be a solution from the devs' side to make configuration exports/imports fully compatible between different operating systems. Iĺl have to manually tweak those broken bindings for now, but anyway I hope that Justin or Schwa read this...

@Smajjl : no, I didn't write "forum" referring to the people, but rather the site itself. Regarding your "scooby doo" posts, I'm Ok with them. You grow accustomed to smileys all around and weird syntaxes.
Old 05-12-2020, 12:20 PM   #7
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
My Reaper preferences imported to Linux (from a previous Windows install) with no problems. Some default paths were different (VST path, media explorer, RS5K, etc.) because of the new file structure so I had to set those, but everything else was good. The only thing that confused me at first: I had to unbind the ALT key from XFCE being used to grab/move/resize windows (Window Manager Tweaks, Accessibility).

Of course I also had to get Linux versions of ReaPack and SWS, but that was easy.

Hmmm, and you use Xubuntu... I wonder what could be the difference between our setups to give different results... Do you use many special key + symbol + punctuation key combinations? The problem seems to be not present with common letters, alone or combined with other keys...
Maybe the Spanish layout that I use is not recognized easily in the Linux version of Reaper.
Old 05-12-2020, 12:34 PM   #8
JamesPeters

I use English (US) layout, Generic 105-key PC, for my keyboard which has no special characters with accents (etc.)

Did you choose your keyboard layout in Ubuntu Studio? Perhaps a particular setting there would help.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:49 PM   #9
SmajjL

Quote:
@Smajjl : no, I didn't write "forum" referring to the people, but rather the site itself. Regarding your "scooby doo" posts, I'm Ok with them. You grow accustomed to smileys all around and weird syntaxes.

I knöw, i was just teäsing/jk ön purpöse

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote