Old 10-07-2019, 05:36 PM   #1
Edgemeal
Human being with feelings

Default v5.983+dev1007 - October 7 2019

v5.983+dev1007 - October 7 2019
+ Actions: add action to set media item play rate from user-supplied source media tempo
+ Actions: add meta-actions to set relative CC value based on next action toggle state/armed state
+ Freeze: fix unfreeze of duplicated folder tracks [t=225458]
+ MIDI editor: fix incorrect CC marquee selection corner case [t=225839]
+ MIDI editor: in note velocity lane, mouse edits that would erase CCs will reset velocity to default
+ MIDI editor: set new default note velocity when editing in velocity lane
+ Peaks: fix spectral peaks on items whose folder parents prohibit spectral peaks [t=225766]
+ macOS: remove builtin Mojave tab actions from view menu
+ macOS: workaround Mojave bug that causes crashes with certain menu customizations [p=2188125]
# Dynamic Split: efficiency improvements
# Dynamic Split: gate processing improvements
# Ruler: fix time signature marker flickering on mouse hover on macOS

Full changelog / Latest pre-releases
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:41 PM   #2
srdmusic

Default Devs!

Once again you guys Rock!!!!

Thank you for for all the hard work in the most recent releases and for listening to your user base.
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:21 PM   #3
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
+ MIDI editor: fix incorrect CC marquee selection corner case [t=225839]
+ MIDI editor: in note velocity lane, mouse edits that would erase CCs will reset velocity to default
Yes, thank you for the quick delivery for these.

Now how about adding the ability to use actions, custom actions, and scripts, that would really make the mouse modifiers special.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 03:47 AM   #4
_Stevie_

Yes, I don’t wanna sound ungrateful, but separate mouse modifiers for velocity would satisfy all use cases (eraser = delete note, reset velocity to default value...).
Old 10-08-2019, 04:26 AM   #5
X-Raym

Quote:
+ Peaks: fix spectral peaks on items whose folder parents prohibit spectral peaks [t=225766]
So far, so good ! thx !
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:28 AM   #6
Reflected

first of all Thank you so very much for the MIDI love and the quick response.
tons of appreciation!

Quote:
I believe this acion should be seperated from the one below (+ MIDI editor:set new default note velocity when editing in velocity lane-> for this i have a solution below...).
so there will be a fixed reset which maybe could be set by the user in order to get back to a fixed starting point.

Quote:
this would work better if for example using Shift (whatever the user choose) + drag to set horizontal line of velocities (for the selected notes) to where the first mouse click was before dragging. this way you won't need to adjust anything before you drag. example below:

there should also be a choose-able actions so we could choose to effect only selected notes/ or all notes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Now how about adding the ability to use actions, custom actions, and scripts, that would really make the mouse modifiers special.
I agree with Tod and Stevie (and probably everyone i guess) regarding the mouse modifiers for velocity (and everything), this would really satisfy most users.

Last edited by Reflected; 10-08-2019 at 04:43 AM.
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:47 PM   #7
Reflected

Quote:
Shift (whatever the user choose) + drag to set horizontal line of velocities (for the selected notes) to where the first mouse click was before dragging. this way you won't need to adjust anything before you drag. example below:

just to be sure,

can something like this (drag horizontal line of velocities) be done with a script if mouse modifiers will be more configurable for velocity lane?
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:54 PM   #8
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected View Post
just to be sure,

can something like this (drag horizontal line of velocities) be done with a script if mouse modifiers will be more configurable for velocity lane?
Easily.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 01:40 PM   #9
AVboy

Quote:
# Dynamic Split: efficiency improvements
# Dynamic Split: gate processing improvements
I'm somewhat new in this shadowy area of the forum... what does these being blue signify? I noticed they're not in the v5.984 thread.
AVboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 03:55 AM   #10
Sexan

EDIT....

Last edited by Sexan; 10-12-2019 at 04:03 AM.
Sexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 05:07 AM   #11
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVboy View Post
I'm somewhat new in this shadowy area of the forum... what does these being blue signify? I noticed they're not in the v5.984 thread.
It's the character in front which tells what type of a change it is, color is there just to make the differences more apparent. AFAIK, hashtag implies something fixed or improved from the previous pre-releases. Plus is something new added.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:07 PM   #12
_Stevie_

Quote:
+ Actions: add action to set media item play rate from user-supplied source media tempo
I really like that action, but couldn't Reaper also check on import (drag & drop and file dialog) if an audio file has tempo information and set the playrate accordingly?

There's some great info about the TBPM tag here:
https://www.abyssmedia.com/tunexplor...metadata.shtml

And this is for WAVs and other "acidized" files:
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewt...2e6de#p3061898

Last edited by _Stevie_; 10-14-2019 at 07:18 PM.
_Stevie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:28 PM   #13
Thonex

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
I really like that action, but couldn't Reaper also check on import (drag & drop and file dialog) if an audio file has tempo information and set the playrate accordingly?

There's some great info about the TBPM tag here:
https://www.abyssmedia.com/tunexplor...metadata.shtml

And this is for WAVs and other "acidized" files:
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewt...2e6de#p3061898
Yes please.

I thought it was my lack of Reaper knowledge that kept me from finding the audio's BPM... but it it's not included (as in Cubase) then I think it should be... if possible.

The BPM would be listed in the Project Bay with the audio file.

My 2 cents.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:46 PM   #14
Swi

Having BPM and beat-bar length info being editable would be very useful.
Swi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 03:52 AM   #15
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
REAPER already does that for ACID files. The BPM will also be reported in the source properties dialog for thos files. If you have a file with embedded tempo that other software recognizes but REAPER doesn't, please post it!
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 03:58 AM   #16
_Stevie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
REAPER already does that for ACID files. The BPM will also be reported in the source properties dialog for thos files. If you have a file with embedded tempo that other software recognizes but REAPER doesn't, please post it!
Oh awesome, yes will do. I have a couple of files I can provide!
support@cockos.com?

EDIT: sent a link with some files to support@cockos.com

Last edited by _Stevie_; 10-15-2019 at 05:32 AM.
_Stevie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:22 AM   #17
EvilDragon

Quote:
Apple Loops format can also contain this info IIRC (that's just a regular AIF/AIFF with some extra metadata). And of course REX but that is already supported in Reaper. Apple Loops, like ACIDized WAV, can also contain slices (again IIRC)...

Last edited by EvilDragon; 10-15-2019 at 06:36 AM.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:24 AM   #18
_Stevie_

Yep, correct. I supplied 2 AIFs with tempo data and 2 WAVs from Noiiz.
I hope this covers most of the use cases.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:13 AM   #19
EvilDragon

UI bug: it's impossible to see the LSB value in Event Properties:

Old 10-15-2019, 07:42 AM   #20
schwa
Administrator

Thanks! We'll add support for tempo information from Apple Loops in the next build (I don't think their spec is public, but it's reverse-engineerable). The wav files you sent, though, I don't see any embedded information at all in those. Is it possible the other programs are just using the filename itself for the tempo?
Old 10-08-2019, 08:02 AM   #21
Klangfarben

I'm very much against changing the function of delete to reset. At the very least, it should be an option. The default for delete in the velocity lane should be delete note event, not reset velocity.

I'm certainly not against a reset option, but usurping delete to do it goes against established norm. Further, it removes a very easy way to marquee select events and delete them and leaves only a more stringent method of marquee selecting in the piano roll itself.

IMHO the best solution here is give the velocity lane it's own mouse modifiers separate from CC (they are different animals anyway) and allow scripts to be used for all mouse modifiers, not just some of them.

This solves two issues. One, it makes mouse modifiers consistent across the board and two, allows users to configure them to taste. This seems a much better solution to me than changing what delete actually does. Changing delete to something other than delete only confuses things and takes away basic functionality which I don't think is ever a good idea.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:04 AM   #22
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
I'm very much against changing the function of delete to reset. At the very least, it should be an option. The default for delete in the velocity lane should be delete note event, not reset velocity.

I'm certainly not against a reset option, but usurping delete to do it goes against established norm. Further, it removes a very easy way to marquee select events and delete them and leaves only a more stringent method of marquee selecting in the piano roll itself.
Marquee select the velocities and press delete?
Old 10-08-2019, 08:28 AM   #23
Klangfarben

Quote:
Marquee select the velocities and press delete?
Sorry, I should have said mouseover select, not marquee select. In the piano roll, notes can be all over the place. In the velocity lane, it's much easier to do so. At the very least, the default behavior of delete/erase should be to delete and reset an option.

But at the end of the day, making delete not actually delete is unintuitive. Not to mention you are making delete function differently in different parts of the program. That's never good form. As opposed to simply adding another category for mouse modifiers so that the velocity lane can have its own.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:32 AM   #24
Swi

Quote:

IMHO the best solution here is give the velocity lane it's own mouse modifiers separate from CC (they are different animals anyway) and allow scripts to be used for all mouse modifiers, not just some of them.
+1 to this
Swi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:37 AM   #25
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swi View Post
Quote:

+1 to this
I don't think this is a good idea, and would unnecessarily complicate things. The velocity and CC lanes are practically cloned animals, as far as I can see, and I would prefer to use the same standard actions in all lanes.

* The only difference is that new CCs can be inserted by drawing in the CC lane whereas new velocities/notes cannot. However, mouse modifier actions such as "Draw/edit" intelligently adapt to whether the mouse is over a CC or velocity lane (or Text, Sysex, etc).

* We already have a "CC segment" context that is specific to CC envelopes;

* Sysex/Text, Bank/Program, and Notation lanes are much more different from CC lanes than velocity is.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:52 AM   #26
EvilDragon

Quote:
But at the end of the day, making delete not actually delete is unintuitive. Not to mention you are making delete function differently in different parts of the program. That's never good form. As opposed to simply adding another category for mouse modifiers so that the velocity lane can have its own.
I agree with this.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:55 AM   #27
schwa
Administrator

What other behaviors would people want to be different between CC and velocities? It seems like everything but "erase" should either act the same in both contexts (in which case it would be annoying to have to change the behavior in two places instead of one), or is not applicable at all in the velocity lane.

We could support the erase modifier actually deleting notes in the velocity lane just by adding a modifier, not necessarily a whole new context.

Last edited by schwa; 10-08-2019 at 09:02 AM.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:59 AM   #28
Thonex

Quote:
Agreed. I was surprised that Reaper broke industry norms on this one. Using an eraser to set a default velocity is counter intuitive and inconsistent with the eraser's established purpose and functionality. It is also my opinion that this should be relegated to another mouse tool or modifier key. At the very least a user preference.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I don't want to sound ungrateful for all the new features and prolific updates (you guys ROCK), but this one feels wrong for all sorts of reasons.