Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 03-10-2015, 05:39 PM   #1
overmedium
Human being with feelings

Default Mac Guy here wants your opinion of going reaper: mac or windows?

Hi All,

I'm new to Reaper (currently jumping ship from Reason) and have been evaluating it for a few weeks and really like it. I have an imac 10.7.5 and have a small Boot Camp partition of Windows 7; the boot camp partition has existed solely for me to waste some time on Steam..

Having only ever used Reason, and now have finally opened my eyes to the vast world of vst's and the like, I see that there aren't many mac vsts compared to windows vsts..

So I'm curious, do you fellow mac users get along fine with a smaller pool of vsts to choose from? do you have any regrets using the mac version? I don't really like to use Windows, but if I have to go there I just may...

thanks for your two cents...

Last edited by overmedium; 03-10-2015 at 05:50 PM. Reason: added stuff
overmedium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:09 PM   #2
Fergler

It really didn't bother me much. I moved from Mac to Windows 4 years ago and I stopped using a few plugins and started using a few windows only ones, and I don't miss anything (except for Logic's ES2 synth... so well made).

Reaper has everything you actually need. The EQ is great but if you want amazing Voxengo GlissEQ or Fabfilter Pro-Q 2 have got you covered on both systems.

The compressor with Reaper is the best I have ever used and can emulate the response of just about anything. It has more controls than you will ever need (minus maybe a built in M/S mode but you can work around that easily with the Kanaka JS M/S wrapper plugins) and has excellent controls you don't find adjustable in other compressors very often like RMS size, HP/LP filter, and precomp (compressor reacts ahead of time).

Btw, don't look so much for VST as for AU, those are much more common for mac. Most of what is available can be found here

http://www.kvraudio.com/q.php?search=1&q=&os[]=mac32&os[]=mac64&ty[]=i&ty[]=e&f2[]=au&av[]=re&sh[]=s&lm[]=500
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:28 PM   #3
Kundalinguist

Reason is an awesome piece of software. Not sure if there is a "reason" to jump ship when you can do like many of us do, which is to rewire the two together. Unless you have the "free" version.

As for Mac vs PC. You'll get more power for less money out of a PC. However, you'll get less dates because MAC still holds the attention of status-conscious women. It's a tough decision for any man to make. Good luck.

P.S. All the major VST manufacturers are dual platform, so it's not an issue, unless you're after freeware VSTs, which are often limited to one platform.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:22 PM   #4
overmedium

Fergler, thanks for your input and link!

Kundalinguist, you are right: I was searching for free vsts, guess i need to expand my wallet a bit! the 'reason' i decided to jump away from reason was the way the program forces one to follow it's graphic interface and those damn wires got in my way of thinking and stifled my work-flow. Reaper is so much more intuitive and i like editing in the sequencer better.

thanks!
Old 03-10-2015, 08:18 PM   #5
Judders

There are more free plugins for Windows, but it's not like there's not enough free plugins for Mac. I've definitely got too many free AUs on my system.

I don't use my Windows machine for audio, but from a glance at the threads here, it looks as if there is much more potential for ballache with audio drivers on Windows.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:42 AM   #6
serr

Disclaimer: I drink just as much Apple Koolaid as Reaper. I haven't touched a native Windows machine since my last day job 7 years ago.

Most of the hoard of free VST & DLL plugins you see for Windows only are really written by some 13 year old kid wanting to see their cool GUI up on the screen. These are best avoided anyway.

I mean, sure you run across some neat things and it doesn't matter where it came from or what 'rule' wasn't followed if it delivers something useful. "If it sounds right it is right."

Anyway, I wouldn't even think of compromising Reaper with Windows. It's amazingly stable and powerful in OSX. It comes right out of the box able to handle extremely low latency for running live sound even. I only had to tweak a few things for post sessions with a track count approaching 200 tracks and just as many 3rd party plugins and HD audio. (All because of the 3rd party plugins.)

I fired up an install of Windows XP one day after reading a number of comments on the forum suggesting snappier response with Reaper running in Windows. It was so sluggish in the GUI as to be unusable. Something was very wrong. I did not go through the learning curve of hacking and coaxing Windows into a stable system. Just tried it out of the box. Obviously this is a grossly unfair test but there's no time or motivation to learn that OS here.

I don't work for Apple or CockOS.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:29 AM   #7
jerome_oneil

If you're already an Apple guy, then stay with Apple.

I love Reason, except for routing. I love Reaper, primarily because of the routing.

Oddly enough, I use both, often at the same time.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 11:06 AM   #8
Kundalinguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Disclaimer: I drink…

[ SNIP! ]

Anyway, I wouldn't even think of compromising Reaper with Windows.

I just wanted to point out that Reaper began on the Windows platform and that the OSX version had to catch up to it, which it has, I suspect. I mention this only so no one gets the idea that Reaper is not ideally suited for use on Windows.

It's good on either platform. The rest is up to the user.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:54 AM   #9
serr

...a lot of coffee!

(Just so everyone is clear on my addictive substance. )
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:15 PM   #10
overmedium

thanks all for your Reasponses!!

it's settled: sticking with mac!!!

!? what was I thinking ?!
Old 03-13-2015, 10:19 AM   #11
MusicGenerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by overmedium View Post
sticking with mac!!!
My personal opinion, this is a good choice :-)
MusicGenerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:32 AM   #12
overmedium

I would like to mention: Reaper has crashed on me about 3 times since I've been using it for the last 3 weeks. Not exactly too thrilled about that. The only plug-in that I have been using that didn't come pre packaged with Reaper was the sampler TX16Wx (which is a pretty nice sampler btw) - that could possibly be the culprit..

anyways, i think it's overall a great daw and i think i'm gonna stick with it... with my finger poised above the save command )
Old 03-20-2015, 01:37 PM   #13
Kundalinguist

Quote:
I would like to mention: Reaper has crashed on me about 3 times since I've been using it for the last 3 weeks. Not exactly too thrilled about that. The only plug-in that I have been using that didn't come pre packaged with Reaper was the sampler TX16Wx (which is a pretty nice sampler btw) - that could possibly be the culprit..

anyways, i think it's overall a great daw and i think i'm gonna stick with it... with my finger poised above the save command )
I would bet your left kidney (not mine) that it's either your computer/interface driver/or a free VST you've installed. I'd put most of that kidney on the latter option. Keep that in mind as a future reference, too, when adding VSTs.

Reaper—unless you're using pre-releases of version 5—is generally rock solid.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:51 PM   #14
whiteaxxxe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalinguist View Post

As for Mac vs PC. You'll get more power for less money out of a PC. However, you'll get less dates because MAC still holds the attention of status-conscious women ....
ah, thats the reason ... I wondered for years about that ...
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:02 PM   #15
vanhaze

LOL !
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:38 PM   #16
Kundalinguist

It used to be "put a ring on that finger"—now it's "Put a Mac Book Pro into that lap!"

Infinitely more useful (even for the man).
Old 03-20-2015, 03:51 PM   #17
overmedium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalinguist View Post
I would bet your left kidney (not mine) that it's either your computer/interface driver/or a free VST you've installed. I'd put most of that kidney on the latter option. Keep that in mind as a future reference, too, when adding VSTs.
gambling away other peoples' body parts, eh? well, i lost it!! you're right, it crashed just now again while i was using the free VST... I think i'm gonna give the Apple AU Sampler a shot, all i really need is a simpler sampler that I can simply control the ADSR with midi.

cheers
Old 03-20-2015, 04:55 PM   #18
Kundalinguist

Quote:
gambling away other peoples' body parts, eh? well, i lost it!! you're right, it crashed just now again while i was using the free VST... I think i'm gonna give the Apple AU Sampler a shot, all i really need is a simpler sampler that I can simply control the ADSR with midi.

cheers
Reaper has its own sampler, The ReaSamploMatic5000. The interface may fool you, but it's decent for a bunch of uses.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:23 PM   #19
lpdeluxe

I am a Mac Yosemite/Reaper 4.77 64 bit user. I started digital recording in 2003 with 98SE and Cool Edit Pro. I gradually morphed into XP and Adobe Audition. With the 98SE machine I constantly had recording session be interrupted by system crashes and the CEP interface was a bit clunky as well. By the time I ended that recording era (I got tired of not performing music) the system had gotten pretty good: robust and stable.

With the Mac/Reaper setup, I have had to learn the new vocabulary (yeah, I'm that old dog you keep hearing about) but the ease and stability of my recording gear is great. I lost a pair of rack-mounted Tascam digital mixers with TDIF-to-fiber optic conversion for a Roland Octa-Capture and a headphone amp and a pair of powered monitors. This is highly cool -- a laptop, a 12-space rack and some mic stands, and I'm ready to roll.

And it doesn't take up the entire room!
Old 05-29-2016, 02:58 PM   #20
fordjc11

Default AU Sampler Rocks

This plug in comes with Reaper OSX under AUi. You are able to load in any of the insturuments for Garageband and Logic. In fact, I don't even have Logic installed, but the OSX has Logic instruments ESX files in Finder. Just locate esx files from the AU Sampler by clicking on the gear and following the Finder dialog. Look at this post for details.

http://forum.cockos.com/report.php?p=1626363
-Jim
fordjc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:42 PM   #21
jadoube

My Nickle - I have used both

- Reaper is more stable on Windows. (Plugins cause less trouble)
- Windows file system is better (more stable)
- Windows is a less flaky OS provided you don't install anything silly.
- Avoid mixing plugin types on OSX/Reaper (VST, VST3, AU) I have problems whenever I do it..
- I switched to OSX for Thunderbolt. Rocks

ooo yeah one more thing... Macbook Pro is an awesome Windows machine! ;-)

Last edited by jadoube; 06-10-2016 at 01:44 PM. Reason: forgot something
jadoube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:57 PM   #22
lowellben

Font rendering on Reaper 5 in Windows 10 is an absolute joke.
OSX has smooth beautiful fonts, so if that's important to you, that's a workflow thing.
Windows ClearType sucks. Jagged even when it tries its hardest.

It's not technically Reaper's fault, but it's still a problem for long day users.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:21 AM   #23
BigLoveShow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowellben View Post
OSX has smooth beautiful fonts, so if that's important to you, that's a workflow thing.

It's not technically Reaper's fault, but it's still a problem for long day users.
I work on both system! And-when i work in reaper-I switch to windows...
Reaper work better on windows for me... some scripts (very good scripts) crash on mac os.
Reaper is a little bit faster on windows..
Asio vs core audio stability- Asio is win for my Lynx soundcard

PS: Reaper look better on mac but overall performance is better on windows for me..
BigLoveShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:52 AM   #24
lowellben

Reaper very well could be more stable on Windows. But man does Windows font rendering suck. No question.

So it's a toss up what you favor more: clear fonts or stability. Choose wisely
Old 06-11-2016, 12:29 PM   #25
grinder

I have been on Windows 7 for many many years I may have had one crash in ................. maybe ten years on Reaper, mind I have been using i5's prepared by Stealth Audio Systems Australia...............

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:53 AM   #26
jadoube

Quote:

I have used both for years and I never even noticed the fonts on either OS flavour... never mind thought one was superior. Maybe you have some strange Windows setting turned on or a driver problem?
Old 06-13-2016, 07:08 AM   #27
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadoube View Post
I have used both for years and I never even noticed the fonts on either OS flavour... never mind thought one was superior. Maybe you have some strange Windows setting turned on or a driver problem?
Google it. It's not just me. It's a known Windows font rendering issue revolving around ClearType as well as how drivers are handled w/ GPUs. No, it's not any setting or driver that I can fix on my end.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:39 AM   #28
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadoube View Post
That is quite possible. It's not always apparent.

I had an HP Pro series something and it didn't have the problem either. It only showed in one program: Filemaker Pro and only on the second page of a listing. It made these listings quite unreadable for me. I switched to an older Toshiba and that one didn't have the problem.

It is much more apparent on high DPI screens.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:40 AM   #29
karbomusic

Quote:
Not here.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:45 AM   #30
northwoodmediaworks

I've used Reaper for a long time in the Windows world, no complaints. I have in the last year gained a MacBookPro 15inch retina which also runs Reaper beautifully wtihin El Capitan. I cant really fault either instance. Windows will offer more VST variety, but as someone already mentioned, there's a lot of crap amongst the cream. I have bootcamped the MacBook, and use Win10 on that, Reaper is also just fine there.

All this with a variety of audio interfaces too....

I am a Cubase user still, been with that for about 10 years... However, that I have only used with Windows, and there are some sore spots now and then. Reaper is by far the most efficient DAW I have tried, its hard to max it out.

Cheers
northwoodmediaworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:55 AM   #31
jadoube

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
It is much more apparent on high DPI screens.
Yeah... there are definitely some weird things with all these Hi-res screens in Windows. Windows 10 handles it better than 7 or 8 but I still see weird stuff every once in a while. Apple definitely has a better solution in place for this little problem and controlling hardware as they do sure helps.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:11 AM   #32
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Not here.
Can you share with me your GPU, monitor size, resolution and anything else font-related settings? Thanks!
Old 06-13-2016, 08:19 AM   #33
lowellben

Interestingly enough though, Reaper is partially responsible because even on my Windows 10 machine with a nice GPU, FL Studio looks GORGEOUS. Stunning. Smooth as butter animations, CLEAR AS DAY fonts (at all sizes). Flat out puts Reaper to shame. It's true sorry

So, it's 80% Windows for sure. But Reaper lags behind FL Studio as far as APPEARANCE and smooth rendering and animations. Opening toolbars and changing screensets are clunky as F. Looks awful. But, someday maybe an overhaul of the interface and coding lol.