Old 01-08-2019, 03:23 AM   #1
Dannii
Human being with feelings

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)
Default Waves Got Me Again!!

No doubt more than a few of you have received the Waves $29 plugin sale email today. I noticed they have Abbey Road TG Mastering Chain in the sale this time so I took the time for an impulse buy and grabbed it.
I'm a huge fan of the Scheps Omni Channel (it has become one of my most used plugins) so I'm hoping this new addition will be just as useful.

If you are after anything from Waves, here's my discount code for an extra 10 percent off......

https://www.waves.com/r/exgmq5

/sp@m

Last edited by Dannii; 05-21-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Dannii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:17 AM   #2
sostenuto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
No doubt more than a few of you have received the Waves $29 plugin sale email today. I noticed they have Abbey Road TG Mastering Chain in the sale this time so I took the time for an impulse buy and grabbed it.
I'm a huge fan of the Scheps Omni Channel (it has become one of my most used plugins) so I'm hoping this new addition will be just as useful.

If you are after anything from Waves, here's my discount code for an extra 10 percent off......

/sp@m
Will be most interested to know what your experiences are after using the AR TG Mastering Chain, as contrasted with Scheps Omni Channel. I have AR TG and very pleased, although my expertise is well below yours.
Likely going to add Scheps very soon, regardless.
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:44 AM   #3
citizenkeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by sostenuto View Post
Likely going to add Scheps very soon, regardless.

It's $29 today.

Do I really need it?
citizenkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:57 PM   #4
BenK-msx

Got that recently, not really used in anger yet as getting my head around ozone 8.

Dave's thoughts welcome
Old 01-08-2019, 01:41 PM   #5
foxAsteria

Anyone use UltraPitch and is it fast enough for realtime guitar?
Old 01-08-2019, 11:09 PM   #6
Jeffsounds

Quote:

/sp@m
I made the leap but saw no place where I could put in your discount code. So here's mine:

https://www.waves.com/r/lfcye3

Wow! The Scheps Omni Channel has about a skillion or so presets. I'm going to be busy for the next week or so...
Old 01-09-2019, 06:26 AM   #7
Dannii

Yeah. The Scheps Omni is a real treasure. The only thing I'm not hugely blown away by is the HF EQ. I tend to use other options in that regard but everything else, including the other EQ bands is right up there for my vintage character needs and also as a general purpose channel strip.

I'll share the presets I created recently for Neve 1073 saturation. I actually used a combination of the odd and even harmonic drive from the preamp section with some non linearity from the compressor (even without using actual compression) to get as close as I could and I'm pretty happy with the results.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:31 AM   #8
Dannii

Quote:
Will be most interested to know what your experiences are after using the AR TG Mastering Chain, as contrasted with Scheps Omni Channel.
Yeah. That's what I am interested in exploring too. It will be interesting to compare CPU usage between the two as well. I actually purchased the TG Mastering Chain without even downloading the demo which is something I rarely do. Hopefully it was a wise decision. At the price I got it for though, it was a bit of a no brainer given my experience with Omni Channel and some of the other recent Waves purchases I've made.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:15 AM   #9
crootnik

I bought it. I've got Izotope Mastering, but this looked interesting. Hell, it's about the cost of a bottle of 2015 Mondavi cabernet, so I the price kind of hooked me..I very much like Wave plugins.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:45 AM   #10
ivansc

Plugin discounts with ReaDaves discount got the price down to just over 22 bucks. 18 GB pounds!

Last edited by ivansc; 01-13-2019 at 03:11 PM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:27 PM   #11
sostenuto

Compared to most here, just a true novice. Now working far more with Orchestral content and libraries than pop /rock /edm /jazz …..

AR TG is a decent crutch, but not so sure about Scheps Omni Channel. Presets also get me in the ballpark, but neither really has much for my needs.

I know, I know …. EQ, Comp, Preamp, Gate .., ( likely some Filter, Reverb, Delay, etc.), but whole different world to sort.

Gotta spend $29. for Omini CH and learn for myself ???

(edit ) ….. Just installed Omni Ch. Thinking seriously about adding IR1 Conv Reverb to use in empty rack slot. Anyone doing similar using any Waves Reverbs ??

Last edited by sostenuto; 01-09-2019 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:42 PM   #12
BenK-msx

just been exploring it some more - opening her up for some Mid Side action seems pretty useful.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:23 AM   #13
Dannii

Quote:
(edit ) ….. Just installed Omni Ch. Thinking seriously about adding IR1 Conv Reverb to use in empty rack slot. Anyone doing similar using any Waves Reverbs ??
I often use TrueVerb on individual channels for creating subtle depth on things like guitar and drum busses. Although it is an older algo reverb, it sounds very natural for creating realistic small to medium sized rooms.
Valhalla is still my go-to for most reverb duties but TrueVerb is very good at placing sounds inside a room rather than placing reverb on a sound.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:39 AM   #14
emwhy

I use the H Verb from Waves. It has a lot of control over the effect. Sometimes on its own and sometimes I may drop it into the empty slot in the Omni Channel. I also tend to use the F6 RTA EQ in the omni channel. Not that I don;t like the built-in EQ, but I like to be able to look at an analyzer to see what's going on when EQing things. I got all of these on the various sales over the last year.

Off topic, is anyone else hating on the Waves install method? Everytime I upgrade or add a new plug-in Reaper defaults to the 32 bit versions in all my templates and projects. It's beyond annoying!!
emwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:35 AM   #15
sostenuto

@ ReaDave …. THX ! Have TrueVerb and appreciate the reminder.

Also enjoy some Valhalla plus some others: Lexington, Eventide, Exponential Audio, …. but wanted a Waves module for Omni Ch as well.
---------------------------

@ emwhy … agree and likely to add H-Verb soon … maybe Abbey Road Chambers now while @ $29.

Have several respected EQ(s), yet F6 is also interesting with its potential to insert in Omni Ch.

Last edited by sostenuto; 01-10-2019 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:19 PM   #16
ivansc

Dave: Loving that scheps plug. Almost reminds me of the Trogg`s Fairydust way back when.

Anyone tried the Abbey Road reverbs yet?
Old 01-10-2019, 04:34 PM   #17
foxAsteria

Abbey Road Chambers is great for room reverbs.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:41 PM   #18
sostenuto

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Good to see. Was either pickup Valhalla Room or AR Chambers. ~ $26. or $50. is not earthshaking but cool to place in Omni Ch when appropriate.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:59 AM   #19
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by emwhy View Post
I use the H Verb from Waves. It has a lot of control over the effect. Sometimes on its own and sometimes I may drop it into the empty slot in the Omni Channel. I also tend to use the F6 RTA EQ in the omni channel. Not that I don;t like the built-in EQ, but I like to be able to look at an analyzer to see what's going on when EQing things. I got all of these on the various sales over the last year.

Off topic, is anyone else hating on the Waves install method? Everytime I upgrade or add a new plug-in Reaper defaults to the 32 bit versions in all my templates and projects. It's beyond annoying!!
I haven't had any troubles like that yet. I'm about to go and install the new purchases I've just made which are V10. Hopefully I have no issues given all my existing Waves plugins are V9. From what I've read, V9 & V10 should be fine together as long as I DON'T tell Waves Central to update my existing V9 plugins.

F6 RTA gets plenty of use here too. That's another favourite of mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Dave: Loving that scheps plug. Almost reminds me of the Trogg`s Fairydust way back when.

Anyone tried the Abbey Road reverbs yet?
Haven't tried any of the AR reverbs yet. I have read numerous reports of the AR plates being a real CPU hog and given that I have most of my reverb needs already met, I haven't really had any desire to look further.

I'm loving the Scheps Fairy Dust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Hmmm.... Maybe I might have to have a look. Hmm....
Quote:
Good to see. Was either pickup Valhalla Room or AR Chambers. ~ $26. or $50. is not earthshaking but cool to place in Omni Ch when appropriate.
Valhalla Room is very light on CPU and sounds extremely good. Don't overlook it.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:13 PM   #20
ivansc

I keep meaning to try and buy Valhalla vintage verb.... Love Valhalla Room, Shimmer, etc, though...
Old 01-14-2019, 11:53 AM   #21
sostenuto

Quote:
Valhalla Room is very light on CPU and sounds extremely good. Don't overlook it.
THX for this reminder ….. Have V_Plate and Room is next.

BTW _ Room has a v1.5 Update FYI

Waves (Audio Deluxe) got me this time with IR1 and their massive free IR Lib(s).
~~ $28. and quick access to all IR(s) is cool.

Last edited by sostenuto; 01-14-2019 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:05 AM   #22
Dannii

I finally got a chance to install Abbey Road TG Mastering Chain and Sibilance alongside my V9 plugins and everything went smoothly. I didn't even have to do a clear cache and rescan. REAPER just picked up the new V10 shell straight away.

I've had a bit of a play around with Abbey Road TG and am pleased that it offers something different to Scheps Omni Channel but equally useful as a character channel strip. It seems to be particularly good for natural sounding stereo widening which is great. I have quite a few widening tools but ARTG offers a different flavour that I like a lot at this point. Definitely money well spent.

Quote:
I keep meaning to try and buy Valhalla vintage verb.... Love Valhalla Room, Shimmer, etc, though...
Vintage Verb is really good. The only Valhalla one I don't yet have is their Plate. I do intend on grabbing that though.
Quote:
THX for this reminder ….. Have V_Plate and Room is next.

BTW _ Room has a v1.5 Update FYI

Waves (Audio Deluxe) got me this time with IR1 and their massive free IR Lib(s).
~~ $28. and quick access to all IR(s) is cool.
Thanks for the tip about the Valhalla update. I'll have to check and see if I have the latest version.
Waves IR1 is really good too.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:07 AM   #23
mhuss

The Valhalla plate is every bit as nice as you'd expect.

I wish Waves would have a sale on their update plans! :\
mhuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:57 PM   #24
Dannii

Waves are at it again. I just purchased the V Series (big Neve fan here).
If anyone wants to make a Waves purchase, I've updated my discount voucher in my first post.

Added here too.....
https://www.waves.com/r/yx1b27
Old 03-27-2019, 09:52 AM   #25
TheMaartian

Quote:
If anyone wants to make a Waves purchase, I've updated my discount voucher in my first post.

Added here too.....
For the record, that coupon code (YNY23) also works on EveryPlugin.com. Kody applies the discount to his already discounted Waves prices. I pay $23.29 for $29 Waves plugins. Within 24 hours, but usually much sooner, he provides the registration code by email. Easy peasy.

And I prefer to give Kody my Waves business. Good guy!

Note that IR1 is currently on sale at EveryPlugin.com for $25.88 (before discount). I'mma gonna pick it up. Thanks, ReaDave.
TheMaartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:35 AM   #26
kirk1701

Quote:

Added here too.....
V-Comp was the first Waves plugin I ever bought. I knew nothing about mixing. I didn't even know how much I didn't know. But I knew that was a fat effing compressor. It was so fat, I didn't know how to use it. It obliterated everything I put it on. Except the mixbuss. Put in on there and suddenly you have a record.

That's a bit hyperbolic, maybe it's more accurate if I say that it's a very familiar tone. I've just started to use it on drums and subgroups and it's working well. It's still really easy for me to crush something negatively. The Neve 2254 was meant as a buss compressor, so power and strength was part of the brief. It had to control a variety of different sources at once.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it. I didn't end up buying the accompanying eqs, but I bet they'll all work well together. If you like classic rock, you'll love these sounds—thick and smooth.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:28 AM   #27
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaartian View Post
And I prefer to give Kody my Waves business. Good guy!

Note that IR1 is currently on sale at EveryPlugin.com for $25.88 (before discount). I'mma gonna pick it up. Thanks, ReaDave.
IR1 is good. Got it a while ago on special. Well worth the $.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
V-Comp was the first Waves plugin I ever bought. I knew nothing about mixing. I didn't even know how much I didn't know. But I knew that was a fat effing compressor. It was so fat, I didn't know how to use it. It obliterated everything I put it on. Except the mixbuss. Put in on there and suddenly you have a record.

That's a bit hyperbolic, maybe it's more accurate if I say that it's a very familiar tone. I've just started to use it on drums and subgroups and it's working well. It's still really easy for me to crush something negatively. The Neve 2254 was meant as a buss compressor, so power and strength was part of the brief. It had to control a variety of different sources at once.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it. I didn't end up buying the accompanying eqs, but I bet they'll all work well together. If you like classic rock, you'll love these sounds—thick and smooth.
Yep. That's definitely my thing. I've been a big Neve fan since using 1073 preamps at a live venue I was house engineer for years ago. The Neve sound is also really good for Berlin School Electronic (think mid 70s to early 80s Tangerine Dream) which I am also into big time.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:08 PM   #28
Dannii

Grabbed Vocal Rider last week and am thinking of going for MV2 and Bass Rider now too while they have their two for one special.

Here's my discount code again for anyone else wanting to grab something....
Old 04-08-2019, 02:17 PM   #29
Pinknoise

Someone has GAS I suspect...becoming a plugin junkee ?
It's a fun habit with no hangover !
I would personnaly encourage another pusher than Waves althoug you seem to pick up the stuff that has little competition.

I had litlle luck with Melda.Mautovolume or Hornet VUmmk3 I always end up doing automation by hand it seems less fiddly and more constant than messing with plugins.

Is Waves working for you ?

Last edited by Pinknoise; 04-08-2019 at 02:24 PM.
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:49 PM   #30
Pinknoise

I just saw that they have a 2 for 29$ deal ! Bastards! They might get me as well! Lowest price ever to my knowledge. The plugin market is serously full I think.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:16 PM   #31
Pinknoise

Haaaa..Waves...I remember once again why I try to avoid you !
Waves Central, Download and install, Clear-cache rescan, nothing shows up.
Nothing to test, nothing to buy !! I don't have the patience anymore !
Thanks I saved money !! Woohoo !!
Old 04-08-2019, 07:06 PM   #32
citizenkeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinknoise View Post
Haaaa..Waves...I remember once again why I try to avoid you !
Waves Central, Download and install, Clear-cache rescan, nothing shows up.
Nothing to test, nothing to buy !! I don't have the patience anymore !
Thanks I saved money !! Woohoo !!
Yeah, I bought API 2500 and Smack Attack... had to do all of that a couple times before Reaper saw the plugins. There is always an issue... until this last rescan, there were two of every Waves plugin in Reaper. No idea why!
citizenkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:41 PM   #33
Dannii

Quote:
It's a fun habit with no hangover !
I would personnaly encourage another pusher than Waves althoug you seem to pick up the stuff that has little competition.

I had litlle luck with Melda.Mautovolume or Hornet VUmmk3 I always end up doing automation by hand it seems less fiddly and more constant than messing with plugins.

Is Waves working for you ?
Waves is actually working really well here. I've been using Waves for many years now (since around the V5 days).
At present, I have a ton of V9 plugins on my main studio rig (Win 10) and a growing collection of V10. I haven't had any issues so far with both shells on the same system.

Some of my other favourite plugin vendors are Klanghelm, Valhalla, IEM, Blue Ripple Sound, Plugin Alliance (I have lots of their stuff and just purchased their SSL G channel strip), u-he, iZotope, Native Instruments, Spectrasonics, Expert Sleepers and a bunch of others.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:02 PM   #34
Dannii

Quote:
You reminded me here that I needed to do a serious update to the gear list on my website. I've just done that and probably still left things off!!

http://synthtweaks.com/gear/
Old 04-09-2019, 12:03 AM   #35
ivansc

And probably yet another cull of the oldies you got but dont actually use any more like I need to! P.S. Got the abbey road mastering after demo`ing it, plus I finally got the CLA 1176 I have been avoiding for ages. Now I have it, wish I had grabbed it sooner. I have a couple of other 1176-alikes but this one DOES bring something indefinably good to the table as well. Who knew?

To all of you still having issues with Waves plugs I offer the same advice I have been offering for years. Go through your machines with a fine tooth comb and remove every single file that you can find that is even remotely connected to waves. Thts WILL take a while and some serious attention to detail. Then download the latest Waves Central and reinstall everything deom screatch. Yo uwill then be a memeber of the Effortlessy Using Waves Club" like Dave, myself and many others.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:06 AM   #36
Pinknoise

Quote:
Waves is actually working really well here. I've been using Waves for many years now (since around the V5 days).
At present, I have a ton of V9 plugins on my main studio rig (Win 10) and a growing collection of V10. I haven't had any issues so far with both shells on the same system.

Some of my other favourite plugin vendors are Klanghelm, Valhalla, IEM, Blue Ripple Sound, Plugin Alliance (I have lots of their stuff and just purchased their SSL G channel strip), u-he, iZotope, Native Instruments, Spectrasonics, Expert Sleepers and a bunch of others.

Once instaled it's working fine for me too with Waves but I meant BassRider and VocalRider is it working well ?

The autovolume work not so good for me from other companies, it's ok on slow stuff mainly. Found out that I had AutoGainProMK2 from Hornet also I can't make it work for some reason. Yep I'm passed the point of remembering what I bought, what I have. Just slightly though I stopped the GAS madness early and bought everything cheap.

You see that's what will happen to you buying all this stuff !
You will forget some plugins that you bought eventually, even when you will need it at one point.
You probably will use a Cockos or JS plugin instead that you had for ages
The only part you will enjoy of buying too much plugins is the part when you buy.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:18 AM   #37
Dannii

Quote:
And probably yet another cull of the oldies you got but dont actually use any more like I need to! P.S. Got the abbey road mastering after demo`ing it, plus I finally got the CLA 1176 I have been avoiding for ages. Now I have it, wish I had grabbed it sooner. I have a couple of other 1176-alikes but this one DOES bring something indefinably good to the table as well. Who knew?
I'd be tempted to grad this but, to be honest, I already have a few really good character compressors/limiters so I reckon I'll go for something else this time. Looking seriously at Abbey Road Chambers right now.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:21 AM   #38
Dannii

Quote:
Once instaled it's working fine for me too with Waves but I meant BassRider and VocalRider is it working well ?

You see that's what will happen to you buying all this stuff !
You will forget some plugins that you bought eventually, even when you will need it at one point.
You probably will use a Cockos or JS plugin instead that you had for ages
The only part you will enjoy of buying too much plugins is the part when you buy.
I still haven't had a chance to sit down with Bass and Vocal Rider yet and really put them through their paces. I was planning to do that a few days ago but have been recovering from a migraine I've had for SIX DAYS!!

I hear you on the amount of plugins too but despite having a fair collection now, most of the ones I have purchased are ones I do use.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:23 AM   #39
Dannii

Has anyone purchased Abbey Road Chambers yet? I'm looking seriously at this right now and will probably at least download the demo and test it for CPU consumption on my rig (i7 7700K with 32GB RAM on Asus Z270 Prime Mobo) to see if it is practical.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:32 AM   #40
foxAsteria

Quote:
Has anyone purchased Abbey Road Chambers yet?
I really like the sound, esp for short rooms, but it's impossible to use at low latencies even though I recently upgraded and tuned my entire recording rig (ryzen+rme). It's pretty much the only plugin I have requiring me to increase my buffer above 128.