Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 12-12-2017, 12:03 PM   #1
andyp24
Human being with feelings

Default Bug: (?) Routing from Folders not saved in Track Templates

Hi

Reaper 5.62 OS X

I set up a project in which I have Folders containing several child tracks, and there are Sends from the Folder to other tracks in the projects (FX busses mainly).

If I select a Folder and Duplicate Track, it creates an identical copy of the folder and its children, with all the same routing.

But if I save the Folder and its children as a Track Template, when I insert it into the project again (or another project) the Sends from the Folder have disappeared.

Bug or design feature?

Andy
andyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:24 PM   #2
Tod

Hi again Andy, I just checked a real simple folder setup in both Reaper 5.61 and 5.62. Both versions seemed to work properly.

However, it was a very simple setup.

Folder track which went to the Master.
2 child tracks with Master/parent checked. Child 1 went to the FX bus.
1 FX bus which was not in the folder and sent to the Master.

Have you got something you could post that I could check out?
Old 12-12-2017, 12:52 PM   #3
heda

The routing is only saved in the template if the receives are in the template. Because the receive track maybe doesn't exist at all depending in which project you insert the template.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:31 PM   #4
andyp24

Heda's answer makes sense, and was what I suspected.

Even if the template could include Sends to/Receives from tracks which weren't included in it, and leave them "inactive", I suppose there'd be no way of knowing when a new track created in the project was supposed to be the one it Sent To or Receieved From, as tracks can have identical names.

Meh.

So, rather than starting with a blank project and building it up into a large one with complex routing by inserting templates, I can either use templates and then build FX routing manually again, or start with a project that includes pretty much everything I might need and delete/duplicate stuff until it fits the current requirement.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:33 PM   #5
andyp24

Tod, what happens if you save the Folder and Child tracks as a template, but don't include the FX buss?

I was hoping (very optimistically) that if I saved it like that, and also saved the FX buss as a template, then inserted both onto a new project, it would automatically route the sends for me.

Stupid really.... how could it possibly know? :-)
Old 12-12-2017, 01:54 PM   #6
heda

yes...
and internally.. REAPER saves only receives. I mean, it doesn't save sends to this or that track in each track. It only saves receives in the receiving track.

This is why I use folders to do all the structural routing I need.. and then all the routing for new inserted templates or tracks is automatically done by inserting the track inside the folder I need
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:30 PM   #7
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyp24 View Post
Tod, what happens if you save the Folder and Child tracks as a template, but don't include the FX buss?

I was hoping (very optimistically) that if I saved it like that, and also saved the FX buss as a template, then inserted both onto a new project, it would automatically route the sends for me.

Stupid really.... how could it possibly know? :-)
Yeah, it's got to have all the associated tracks you want connected.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:28 PM   #8
andyp24

@head

I'm talking mainly about FX tracks which are shared between tracks in different folders so just putting them inside a folder isn't an option - they have to be "traditional sends".

And since the routing for them is now rather complex to achieve a behaviour Tod and I have discussed at length elsewhere, it's not a quick task to recreate them manually.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:38 PM   #9
Tod

Quote:
@head

I'm talking mainly about FX tracks which are shared between tracks in different folders so just putting them inside a folder isn't an option - they have to be "traditional sends".

And since the routing for them is now rather complex to achieve a behaviour Tod and I have discussed at length elsewhere, it's not a quick task to recreate them manually.
Andy, mpl made some scripts for sending selected tracks to the track under the mouse cursor. That might help you in some way. You have to tie them to a shortcut key, but they work pretty well.

If you've got ReaPack, that's the best way to get them, it will also instral them for you.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:09 PM   #10
andyp24

Thanks Tod
I'll check out the scripts (I have Reapack) although my guess is they'll default to routing from channels 1/2 of the source.
Thanks.
Andy
Old 12-12-2017, 04:22 PM   #11
Tod

Quote:
Thanks Tod
I'll check out the scripts (I have Reapack) although my guess is they'll default to routing from channels 1/2 of the source.
Thanks.
Andy
I think there's one that selects 3/4. I haven't used it yet, haven't had a need, so I'm not sure what it does exactly.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:22 AM   #12
andyp24

Unfortunately with the templates I've saved, it would need 8 Sends from each track (so one via Folder 3/4, one from 5/6... down to 17/18)

I think it'll be fine to load a huge default project with everything set up and then reduce it from there.....!!!

:-)