Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 09-10-2012, 06:09 AM   #41
FnA
Human being with feelings

Lots of interesting differences in preferences in this thread. I personally like it the way it is. And the tiny fade works for me. I also noticed I DEFINITELY need to push up the buffer a little when using a synth track, but even then I get a pop from the loop stop thing, even when a normal stop doesn't. No big deal. I dont know how I got on the recording kick earlier in this thread.
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:43 AM   #42
choros

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
OK my eyes started rolling back in my head when this got to the part about wrestling a greasy goat at midnight at a crossroads and having a secret decoder ring.

In my usual simplistic way, I do this by using the standard command, shift spacebar which on my largely uncustomised reaper 4 pauses Reaper, which is effectively the same thing s stopping reaper and the play cursor staying where it is. No rewind.

I am sure it is ME that is being dumb, but surely the OP is just looking at this from the wrong pespective?
Pause is not effectively the same thing as stop as it doesn't retain the reverb tail - which is important to me.

I thank everyone again for the incredible help here to find a work around. I agree and don't think this work around should have been as difficult as it was if there was just a simple key command for "stop in place". Wrestling a greasy goat at midnight to get my secret decoder ring back may actually have been easier for me. And definitely more possible - as with out this forum I could have NEVER figured it out. Should be simpler - especially would have not found the hidden "tiny fade out/in on stop" thingy by default, which still blows my mind as to why??

Thanks again,

Jay
choros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #43
choros

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnA View Post
Lots of interesting differences in preferences in this thread. I personally like it the way it is. And the tiny fade works for me. I also noticed I DEFINITELY need to push up the buffer a little when using a synth track, but even then I get a pop from the loop stop thing, even when a normal stop doesn't. No big deal. I dont know how I got on the recording kick earlier in this thread.
Cool if the tiny fade out works for you - not cool that it's on by default and hidden. Drove me nuts the first time I tried Reaper. Couldn't figure out why my audio couldn't just cleanly stop. I actually gave up on Reaper several times in the past because of being perplexed by this crazy little hidden "feature". That and not being able to just stop in place. I'm going to stick with it this time I think, a lot because of the incredible help here and because it's an incredible program for not a lot of $. Don't want to be locked into Logic/Apple anymore. Thanks.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #44
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by choros View Post
And definitely more possible - as with out this forum I could have NEVER figured it out.
I think what many people struggle with when comparing Reaper to other DAWs is that they see this forum as just "helpful".

It's not. It's quite essential. It's a feature of the DAW.

I visit many forums and I've never seen anything close to how fast users will answer a tough question with a great workaround or the staff will actually initiate a change. It's all a part of it.

So while it does seem crazy that you needed to ask for this "work-around" on the forum, the solution does exist and it works flawlessly. It's different, but unlike many competing DAWs, it's all possible.

Glad you got it sorted.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #45
FnA

Didn't mean to start a fight or anything. I agree there's a lot of things scattered around that maybe should be gathered together. But the developers have to make some kind of decision based on what the majority wants. Maybe they dont always succeed or even care about certain things. I'm all for an option to do what you guys want without a custom action. I dont know what the majority is on this subject even. I just know that for me, personally, I get more violent artifacts without the tiny fade. And I dont like the idea of my edit cursor moving always on stop. Sure it could be handy at times. It is handy to have the recording option I mistakenly thought was relevant to this thread. Like I said, its interesting that many people want different things (and are getting different results with playback glitches.)
Old 09-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #46
choros

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnA View Post
Didn't mean to start a fight or anything. I agree there's a lot of things scattered around that maybe should be gathered together. But the developers have to make some kind of decision based on what the majority wants. Maybe they dont always succeed or even care about certain things. I'm all for an option to do what you guys want without a custom action. I dont know what the majority is on this subject even. I just know that for me, personally, I get more violent artifacts without the tiny fade. And I dont like the idea of my edit cursor moving always on stop. Sure it could be handy at times. It is handy to have the recording option I mistakenly thought was relevant to this thread. Like I said, its interesting that many people want different things (and are getting different results with playback glitches.)
Oh, no. I hope my tone didn't seem too aggressive or anything. I'm sorry, I'm just being obnoxious - definitely didn't mean anything by it. What you say makes perfect sense and I agree - different key strokes for different folks! And yes, Reaper does seem to be able to accommodate us all, eventually, with a little help from all of these great, Reaper friends here on this essential forum!!

Thanks again!
Old 09-10-2012, 01:15 PM   #47
FnA

No prob.

Uh...I just went and tried a bunch of stuff I dont normally use. There were some things that worked better without the tiny fade. Ug. And the loop stop function works in some cases without noise either way. I'm going to go lay down.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #48
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by choros View Post
Pause is not effectively the same thing as stop as it doesn't retain the reverb tail - which is important to me.

Jay
OK I can buy that. Makes perfect sense in those circs.

I would never notice this, as the last thing I usually do once a song is completed is to add the "proper" reverb or reverbs where needed.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote