Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 08-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
thewonders
Human being with feelings

Default Stop without rewind

I'm still struggling to find a solution to this admittedly small but nonetheless annoying behavior. I first posted about it a few months ago:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=9931

I'm searched the forum, Preferences and the Action list, and unless I'm mistaken, my research seems to indicate that the STOP function automatically rewinds the cursor to the start of the track (not to be confused with "pause" in which the cursor remains at the point where playback is paused). So I'm wondering if the "rewind" can be separated from the "stop" allowing users to change the spacebar assignment - when the spacebar is pressed, play "stops" but the cursor remains at the stop position. I've found some work arounds tha include "pause" but I can't seem to find a way too disassociate "rewind" from "stop". Is this "just the way it is" or is there a solution coming (or one that I've missed)?
thewonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
ivansc

check in the manual - I cant remember exactly whee it is and dont have access to reaper right now but there IS an option to toggle whether or not reaper rewinds.

I know this is pretty useless as advice goes but at least you have something to do while you are waiting for someone sitting with reaper and or the manual in front of them to tell you exactly how.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
thewonders

There is a section in the manual relating to the play cursor (6.19) but it does not address separating "rewind" from "stop".
Old 08-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
nofish

may I ask why not use pause instead ?
you mention it as workaround, but I'm wondering what's actually the difference in using pause instead of the desired stop (-rewind) ?
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
Amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewonders View Post
I'm still struggling to find a solution to this admittedly small but nonetheless annoying behavior. I first posted about it a few months ago:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=9931

I'm searched the forum, Preferences and the Action list, and unless I'm mistaken, my research seems to indicate that the STOP function automatically rewinds the cursor to the start of the track (not to be confused with "pause" in which the cursor remains at the point where playback is paused). So I'm wondering if the "rewind" can be separated from the "stop" allowing users to change the spacebar assignment - when the spacebar is pressed, play "stops" but the cursor remains at the stop position. I've found some work arounds tha include "pause" but I can't seem to find a way too disassociate "rewind" from "stop". Is this "just the way it is" or is there a solution coming (or one that I've missed)?
Go to your action list and assign your spacebar to transport: pause instead. You might prefer that?
Amazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
thewonders

Thanks for the responses.

Yes I realize that I could use pause, but it seems like "pause" is different from "stop". Does "pause" use more resources? Does "pause" keep buffers/CPU cycles in use where "stop" does not? And if "pause" and "stop" are the same thing, why are they functionally separate?

And why can't "rewind" be separated from "stop" in Reaper when it can be separated in most other DAWs?
Old 08-02-2012, 12:02 AM   #7
Jedi

As an old Analog guy, I can surely see the point you're making.
On an analog tape deck, there is no "pause" - just stop. The
tape stops turning when you hit it. If you want a rewind, you
must initiate that with the "rewind" button. There's no default
for that function automatically.

But I've long ago gotten over it - I just hit "Pause" on my
Mackie MCU surface and go with it.

I do not believe that ANY resource difference exists. It's
just DAW thinking vs. "analog tape" thinking is all, at least to me

Jedi
Old 08-02-2012, 06:59 AM   #8
Sibben

One difference is in how it handles recording. If you have REAPER set to ask if you want to save recorded material this pop-up won't show on pause, only stop. In this context pause is really pause and not just stop minus rewind.

If this is a problem you can always build your own stop function with a Custom action. I jotted this together quickly but there are probably better more refined ways of doing it.

View: Move edit cursor to play cursor
Xeniakos/SWS: Store edit cursor position
Transport: Play/stop
Xeniakos/SWS: Recall edit cursor position

Last edited by Sibben; 08-02-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Sibben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #9
choros

I'm also annoyed by this issue and wondering why "stop" can't just be "stop"? I can't believe that Reaper is set up like this by default. Why? I would think that this "stop and rewind" should be a special key command or something but "stop" should just be "stop", shouldn't it? Stop is stop in every other program I've tried, including iTunes, Logic, Pro Tools etc. and all Hardware devices just "stop" (cd player, DVD, tape deck). Why is Reaper not like this? The problem for me is stop isn't even a clean stop in Reaper as you can always hear some garbled audio remnants of the cursor quickly rewinding - which again, makes no sense to me!! I can't listen to reverb tails after pressing stop as the tail gets garbled because it picks up the sound of the cursor rewinding. And pressing pause, which is actually the only way I've found to cleanly "stop" in Reaper, cuts off the reverb tail entirely. Help! ;-)

I registered to the forums yesterday to try to resolve this issue. I've been trying to listen to reverb tails but can't. I've revived another thread titled "reverb tail after playback stopped": (but these 2 issues are both related): http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=61771

Any more help with this would be great. Thanks!

Jay

Last edited by choros; 09-04-2012 at 10:55 AM. Reason: more info
choros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #10
Fabian

I do not think there's (currently) any way to separate rewind from stop. Stop is stop, and it rewinds in Reaper, just as it does in foobar 2000, and on my CD player. I have to press pause if I want to continue playing from the point where I pressed the button. So, contrary to what has been claimed, I'd say that Reapers stop behavior is consistent with hardware devices as well as other players.

That said, I agree that pause should behave like stop in all respects but rewinding. Currently this is not the case.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #11
choros

Thanks Fabian,

I'm sorry, you're right regarding stop/pause in cd players and I see that it's pause in iTunes too, not stop. I am sorry about the mistake and misinformation, I hate doing that. I am just frustrated about this in Reaper though. I'd just really like to be able to stop, or pause (I don't care which one or what we call it) at the playback cursor in Reaper and still be able to listen to and audition reverb tails without rewinding.

It's really disappointing that it does seem that this is impossible in Reaper. Every so often I keep coming back to try Reaper over the last couple years hoping that someone brought this up and it was changed (or "fixed" as I see it) by now but I keep having to go back to Logic because of this small thing that seems so easy to change. I really wanted to make the change this time so I brought it up. It's that important to me but I seem to be in the minority here - (with a few others I do see). Thanks for the help. I'll keep checking back every so often to see if it's possible I guess. Can I make a feature request?
Old 09-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #12
choros

Ok, feature request requested here:

Stop without Rewind
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...05#post1030905
Old 09-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #13
James HE

It makes more DAWsense to have it set up this way. I think you'll realize that first time you get elbow deep into editing digital audio.

custom action: Stop Stop

Transport: Pause
Transport: Stop

It really is that simple.

I have this mapped to the Stop button on the transport of my multimedia keyboard. (Space bar is regular stop) But you could set this to your space bar and just totally forget your problem here.
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #14
choros

Quote:
Originally Posted by James HE View Post
It makes more DAWsense to have it set up this way. I think you'll realize that first time you get elbow deep into editing digital audio.

custom action: Stop Stop

Transport: Pause
Transport: Stop

It really is that simple.

I have this mapped to the Stop button on the transport of my multimedia keyboard. (Space bar is regular stop) But you could set this to your space bar and just totally forget your problem here.
Thanks James. I'm trying to set this custom action up but with no luck. I've added a new custom action and named it: Stop Stop. I then dragged Transport: Pause and Transport Stop where it says to drag actions here. I then pressed Run/close and tried it. Stop with my space bar still stops and rewinds. I did try to change Pause key command to Space bar as well but it wouldn't let me have two commands for one key. Am I on the right track here? Close? If I can just set up this stop stop command and still be able to hear reverb tails it'll be great! Thanks.

Last edited by choros; 09-04-2012 at 02:32 PM. Reason: correction
Old 09-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #15
James HE

Ahh...

Once you create the custom action, it will be in your actions list. (it is auto highlighted in the list after your create or edit one)

Now you just need to assign a shortcut key to that action. Hit the "ADD" button in the "Shortcuts for selected action" box.

When the input box comes up, just hit the key that you want to assign to this. (I think you want spacebar in your case - or whatever key stop is in logic)

If the key has already been assigned, you'll get another box that asks you if it's ok to override.

I absolutely love have both types of "Stop" you can reassign something to the default behavior by just reassigning something to transport: Stop if you'd like.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:40 PM   #16
James HE

And i do have to add...

I also get a little 'glitch' when using the regular stop, but not on my Stop Stop! - I just never really noticed it.

*edit* scratch that...

I get a random glitch sometimes with both methods. I think it may be when I start stop quickly and it's shorter than the PDC + buffers - or when it stops inter-sample. Just guessing there.

again.. this never even bothered me till you brought this up.. so THANKS! LOL.

Last edited by James HE; 09-04-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #17
choros

Quote:
Ahh...

Once you create the custom action, it will be in your actions list. (it is auto highlighted in the list after your create or edit one)

Now you just need to assign a shortcut key to that action. Hit the "ADD" button in the "Shortcuts for selected action" box.

When the input box comes up, just hit the key that you want to assign to this. (I think you want spacebar in your case - or whatever key stop is in logic)

If the key has already been assigned, you'll get another box that asks you if it's ok to override.

I absolutely love have both types of "Stop" you can reassign something to the default behavior by just reassigning something to transport: Stop if you'd like.
Still no luck. When I create the custom action "Stop Stop". It doesn't let me save it until I drag an action to where it says "drag actions here". I get this pop up error message: "Error saving custom action" "Error: no actions in list." So, I drag "Transport: Stop" to the "drag actions here" and save. I then highlight the Stop Stop command and add the space bar to custom action. This still does't work. It still stops and rewinds when I press the space bar. Any clues? Thanks!
Old 09-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #18
choros

I should say that I do have to change the space bar key command from Transport: Play/stop to just "Transport: Stop" when I do this. I've tried adding Transport: Pause too but then I don't hear the reverb tail.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #19
James HE

Quote:
Originally Posted by choros View Post
..."drag actions here".
I think you must be in a toolbar editor or something? You aren't in the right place - not sure where you are!

Actions > show actions list (or "?")

this bring you to where you need to be.

Once you are at the actions list hit "NEW" right next to where it says "Custom actions" - then assign a shortcut once it's created.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #20
James HE

Hmmm... I just realized that you lose the space bar as "play" if you do it this way...

(slaps forehead!)

Need to test some things to see if I can get it to work as Play and Stop Stop!
Old 09-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #21
choros

I've been where you said. Got there both ways by Actions menu and "?". Same place, still no luck. I hit "NEW" right next to custom actions. Type in "Stop Stop" in the space provide next to: "Custom action name". I then press "Ok" below the box that is prompting me to "Drag actions here" , but I get an error that says no actions in list. I must "drag an action here" before I can click "ok" and save it. What can I do?
Old 09-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #22
choros

I don't mind losing the space bar as play. I realized this too. But, I just used "return", which is pause and seems to play too. The problem is, I keep rewinding on space bar as stop.

Edit: I used "return" not enter as pause and play.

Last edited by choros; 09-04-2012 at 03:09 PM. Reason: return is pause, not enter
Old 09-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #23
James HE

yes you were in the right place.

Go back to the actions list. Find stop stop, and assign a shortcut for it. (refer to my post #15)

To keep the space bar as pause.

(name it whatever you want)

View: move edit cursor to play cursor.
Transport: Play/Stop

Grab a copy of the users guide if you haven't already. I'm sure a section on creating actions is in there. - and hopefully better explained
Old 09-04-2012, 03:30 PM   #24
choros

Quote:
yes you were in the right place.

Go back to the actions list. Find stop stop, and assign a shortcut for it. (refer to my post #15)

To keep the space bar as pause.

(name it whatever you want)

View: move edit cursor to play cursor.
Transport: Play/Stop

Grab a copy of the users guide if you haven't already. I'm sure a section on creating actions is in there. - and hopefully better explained
JAMES!!! I LOVE YOU!!! Holy crap, thanks!!! It's working so far! You know, before I read this and saw you mention the "View: move edit cursor to play cursor", I did find this and had a feeling this would help, so I tried it in there with something else but couldn't get it to work. I then saw your post, and started fresh. I deleted my "Stop Stop" command. Then I typed in "Stop Stop" again and dragged "View: move edit cursor to play cursor" in the box in order for it to let me create the "Stop Stop" command. I then dragged "Transport: Play/Stop" in there with it and added spacebar as the "Stop Stop" shortcut. I had to override the spacebar assigned to Play/Stop to do this. I then pressed "Run/Close" and it freaking works now!! SWEET! Thanks again!!! It works just like Logic now!!! ;-) I take back all my bad thoughts in the last couple hours against Reaper. I LOVE IT!!! ;-)

Last edited by choros; 09-04-2012 at 03:34 PM. Reason: more info/etc.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #25
choros

Now I just have to learn how to use smileys in this forum editor!!! ;-) Thanks again James! I really DO love you now. :-)
Old 09-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #26
choros

Now, for the record I still get the occasional garbled stop with this too, but we'll work on that next!
Old 09-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #27
wolfgerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by choros View Post
Now, for the record I still get the occasional garbled stop with this too, but we'll work on that next!
Have you tried not to check "Tiny fade out on playback stop"
in the Preferences----> AUDIO

Wolfger
wolfgerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #28
FnA

Is this what you want?

Preferences/Editing Behavior/Move edit cursor to end of recorded items on record stop

So you can just record back to back?

Nope. Nevermind.

Last edited by FnA; 09-06-2012 at 03:06 PM.
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #29
choros

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgerb View Post
Have you tried not to check "Tiny fade out on playback stop"
in the Preferences----> AUDIO

Wolfger
YES!! HOLY CRAP THANKS Wolfgerb!!! Now it stops cleanly on a dime! Every time!!! Over and over - clean as a whistle!!! No garbled crap, just a nice clean audio stop - and a beautifully auditioned reverb tail to match! Why was it like that!!?? Why the crap would that be a "feature" that would by on by default??!! Strange to me. Anyway, THANK YOU!! This place is GREAT!!

BTW, I unchecked "Tiny fade in on playback start" too. Strange, but now I am happy with a normally (to me) functioning start and stop button. I really can't believe those stupid things were on by default!!

Works great now. I am grateful to everyone here.

Jay
Old 09-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #30
EricM

Default S&M/SWS actions SOLUTION

It's actually possible to create a 'tape' play/stop for one button
using 1) custom action and 2) sws cycle action. Make sure you
have the latest Reaper & SWS extensions versions installed!
The custom action should be the stop part:

And the cycle action should be Transport: Play for step 1, and
the custom Stop as step 2 of the cycle action.

See detailed instructions on setting up S&M Cycling actions.
(must-read, or you will likely not be able to create a working action).
Map the SPACE button to the new Play/Stop (tape style) action
and you're done!

e

Last edited by EricM; 09-06-2012 at 07:27 PM.
EricM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #31
James HE

That's clever and all Eric...

But totally redundant since we have Transport: Play/Stop
in addition to Transport: Play and Transport: Stop
Old 09-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #32
Kenny Gioia

I think I figured it out.

It was inspired by how I do it in Pro Tools. I usually hit one key to move the edit cursor to where the play cursor is (while it's playing) then I hit stop.

In Reaper, we can do it with one custom action:

Step 1 - View: Move edit cursor to play cursor
Step 2 - Transport: Play/Stop

At first I didn't think it would work as a play and stop button but it does. So make it your spacebar. I made it my option (alt) spacebar so I can use it when I want.

Hope that helps.

BTW - It's not stopping and rewinding as someone mentioned. The edit/play cursor just stays where you start from. It's just stopping and playing again from where your edit/play cursor is.
Kenny Gioia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:14 AM   #33
EricM

Quote:
That's clever and all Eric...

But totally redundant since we have Transport: Play/Stop
in addition to Transport: Play and Transport: Stop
which need two buttons instead of one, so not what
the OP requested. Also it's just one of the working
solutions for the OP's request, another (a lot neater)
one proposed by Kenny, which both work nicely once
implemented.

The last thing I would do is call these 'redundant'.

e
Old 09-09-2012, 01:35 AM   #34
ivansc

Y'know, I was sure I had seen an option to make Reaper just stop and re-start from the "stop" cursor position in one of the menus somewhere and I was also convinced I had read it in the manual....

Are you guys SURE there isnt already an option to function like this?

Maybe Alzheimers is setting in at last....

Just realised I use the transport controls on a NanoKontrol and for whatever reason that WILL stop in place.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:07 AM   #35
James HE

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM View Post
which need two buttons instead of one, so not what
the OP requested. Also it's just one of the working
solutions for the OP's request, another (a lot neater)
one proposed by Kenny, which both work nicely once
implemented.

The last thing I would do is call these 'redundant'.

e
I'm sorry. I was wrong about you being clever. (you are misunderstanding me here) I'm just pointing out that you don't need the cycle since we have a Play/stop action. Your action just used Stop and Play.

No need to get chippy.. just... read the thread. Read my post #23. and read post #24.

Yes, Kenny had the right answer, but I had the right answer 2 days before. :P

So when you posted what you did, the op had already sorted that part out. The cycle action is redundant. I like your thinking though.

Last edited by James HE; 09-09-2012 at 06:14 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #36
Kenny Gioia

Quote:

Yes, Kenny had the right answer, but I had the right answer 2 days before. :P
Ooops. I didn't even see that.

When you (and a few others) had mentioned "pause" I immediately knew (thought) that you were on the wrong path and came up with (what I thought) was a different solution.

Guess I should have read your entire post.

But this is the correct solution. (I think)
Old 09-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #37
EricM

Quote:
Read my post #23. and read post #24.
I've read those too fast, "..to keep space bar as pause" made me
skip the rest of info. My bad.

e
Old 09-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #38
James HE

ha!

I meant play obviously.

DAMN YOU AUTO CORRECT! well, not really just typing too fast i think.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:55 AM   #39
ivansc

OK my eyes started rolling back in my head when this got to the part about wrestling a greasy goat at midnight at a crossroads and having a secret decoder ring.

In my usual simplistic way, I do this by using the standard command, shift spacebar which on my largely uncustomised reaper 4 pauses Reaper, which is effectively the same thing s stopping reaper and the play cursor staying where it is. No rewind.

I am sure it is ME that is being dumb, but surely the OP is just looking at this from the wrong pespective?
Old 09-10-2012, 04:23 AM   #40
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post

I am sure it is ME that is being dumb, but surely the OP is just looking at this from the wrong pespective?
If he's looking at it as rewinding then he is. It's just playing from the play cursor and the play cursor isn't moving. Pro Tools has an option for this. Surprised that Reaper doesn't with all the "Seek" preferences that it has. But the work-around works so…

Personally, I hate this feature in Pro Tools and it's toggled by hitting the "n" key which many of us accidentally do from time to time.