Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-30-2016, 09:11 PM   #1
BRBWaffles
Human being with feelings

Default Mixing Template 2.0 (Update)

Some of you found the last Mixing Template useful. So, I made quite a few adjustments, fixed some errors, added a few more buses, receives, and mixing options built in.

Rock Mixing Template 2.0: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/29346/MixingTemplate.rpp

Overview Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzg7wMx2vVY

So, right off the bat there are a lot of tracks, and I mean a LOT of tracks. Almost to the point of absurdity, I know. But, the point is that you can really just delete any unnecessary tracks. I designed the template for extreme redundancy, so that I'd more or less be able to drop nearly any sort of stems into the template with minimal adjustments. If I'm dropping 20 stems into the session, I could I usually get rid of most of the tracks in the template and be left with something pretty reasonable. It doesn't take a lot of time to delete tracks. It's also important to keep in mind that I was taught to mix mostly through buses, and to only process individual tracks when it's necessary. It's an old habit, and if you're not accustomed to that particular workflow, this template probably isn't for you. But, on the other hand if you use a similar workflow or you are curious about what that workflow feels like, this template might be for you. It should also be noted that you need to enable "auto-arrange tracks in mixer", "group folders to left", and "group tracks with receives to left" in order to view the template at its best.

I left a few Cockos or JS plugins in key places where I think certain processing ideas are usually necessary. For example, I have a ducking side-chain on the bass bus that is triggered by the kick bus, high and low filters on split bass and tom tracks, etc. There are a ton of receiving tracks for lots of different applications, ranging from delay, reverb, excitation, saturation, compression, etc. So, check the sends to see what is going where to get an idea of what they're all for.

I have certain tracks (like guitar, toms, etc) grouped for panning so that tracks that need to be panned together do pan together. I have VCA groups for every major instrument group (drum VCA, bass VCA, etc). I also have a (somewhat redundant) master VCA for those of you who like to do master volume automation.

I'm sure nearly all of you have your own workflows and would find this nearly completely useless. But as long as someone gets something out of it, I'd be pleased. Even if it's just take a couple cool ideas away and they think the rest is total garbage, I feel as though it would be worth it to post it.

I'm also open to suggestions about how to make it better. Feel free to point out any weirdness or ridiculous oversights as well.

Last edited by BRBWaffles; 04-02-2017 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Updatezzzz
BRBWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote