Old 07-19-2019, 01:28 AM   #1
Robbie Hogg
Human being with feelings

Default Auto arm at the beginning of next loop

G'day all.
I am planning on playing around with some looping this weekend and thought of something that would be useful and was wondering if it can be done with actions or may possibly need to write a script for.

So what i would like to do is make a 4 bar loop with several tracks and what i was wanting to make a custom action for is arming a selected track at the beginning of the next loop for recording then disarming the selected track at the end of the loop so the next time it loops it just plays the recorded info be it for Midi or audio.
Would work kind of like the auto punch in and out except in a loop situation.

Example would be i have a drum loop going and a synth setup on another track, on the next loop i want to bring in the synth so i hit a button, next loop starts and the track is armed to record at the beginning of the loop so i can just start playing the synth recording the audio/midi and at the end of the loop the track stops recording and just plays the synth back on the following loop.

I have watched videos on recording in a loop setup but none of them quite function the way i would like to set this up. I don't really want something that will start recording mid loop as the previously recorded section would still be in use until the loop starts again.

If it can't be done via custom actions i will happily write a script for it, will probably need some help doing it though.

Would also like to hear some thoughts about this kind of idea. Could it be better to have the script/custom actions to arm and record as apposed to having the loop constantly in record?
Robbie Hogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:14 AM   #2
Reno.thestraws

with the sws extension, there's an action "wait until end of loop"

place it as first action in a custom action and you get what ou want
Old 07-19-2019, 03:38 AM   #3
Robbie Hogg

Thank you, i will check that out.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:16 AM   #4
Robbie Hogg

Ok so here is the custom action and the outcome from the action.
Hard to see but it seems to have a small section of recording at the begining of the loop then a gap and then the rest of the recording. Any ides on how to fix this so that it records the full looping area?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Auto arm.jpg (56.6 KB, 311 views)

Last edited by Robbie Hogg; 07-19-2019 at 04:22 AM.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:43 PM   #5
Robbie Hogg

Just tried the auto punch in on time selection to see how it works (not in a custom action) and it starts recording bang on at the beginning of the time selection and stops bang on at the end of it.
Can anyone help with getting this custom action to work within a looping environment, I can't understand why there is the gap in the recorded item within the loop as it is pretty much the same as an auto punch in.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:23 AM   #6
domzy

i had similar-ish problems with recording loops. I gave up on getting Reaper to behave as desired and switched to ableton live for my looping sessions.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=188174
domzy is online now   Reply With Quote