Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 05-03-2012, 03:27 AM   #1
Earfonia
Human being with feelings

Default Procedure entry point could not be located in library ntdll.dll (SOLVED)

Hi, I'm newbie here.
I bought Reaper last week, version 4.22, and I install it on my HP notebook (EliteBook 2560p), running Windows XP Professional SP3, 32 bit.

Every time I launch Reaper, I got error message:
The procedure entry point NtAlpcSendWaitReceivePort could not be located in the dynamic link library ntdll.dll

I tried to search the forum and google for the fix, but couldn't find case that match the error.

The Reaper is running ok, I tried to record a few tracks and so far so good, no crash. But I'm worry that it might cause crash when recording important project.

Thanks!
Earfonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:32 AM   #2
Earfonia

I found this thread:
http://www.frustration.in/blog/archives/117

The case is not relevant to Reaper, but the same solution, by renaming the Avrt.dll works also for Reaper

Is it safe to use that solution for Reaper?

Thanks!
Old 05-03-2012, 03:43 AM   #3
Amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earfonia View Post
Hi, I'm newbie here.
I bought Reaper last week, version 4.22, and I install it on my HP notebook (EliteBook 2560p), running Windows XP Professional SP3, 32 bit.

Every time I launch Reaper, I got error message:
The procedure entry point NtAlpcSendWaitReceivePort could not be located in the dynamic link library ntdll.dll

I tried to search the forum and google for the fix, but couldn't find case that match the error.

The Reaper is running ok, I tried to record a few tracks and so far so good, no crash. But I'm worry that it might cause crash when recording important project.

Thanks!
Sounds like something referencing wrong version of that dll. How many versions of that dll on your pc? What versions are they?
Amazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:22 PM   #4
Earfonia

I found one in C:\WINNT\system32
The version from file properties is 5.1.2600.6055
Old 06-08-2012, 03:54 PM   #5
Cosmic Pig

I've been getting the same thing. Doesn't appear to be a problem but I'm not exactly a power user either.

Cos.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ntdl.jpg (22.5 KB, 11524 views)
Cosmic Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #6
karbomusic

Try a portable install to a folder (so you get a clean install without disturbing you existing setup) and when you do make a note of which "Additional Functionality" features are installed. Between the portable install and possible features that are enabled you may get a clue to where the issue is.

IIRC that function is related to LPC calls (Local Procedure Call) and is mostly undocumented. Its much like RPC (Remote Procedure Call) but the function call never leaves the computer. A simpler wording is this is a low level component that allows one component to request to run code in some other component it isn't directly related to. I don't think non OS apps can call this library direclty but its possible some feature or setting in reaper causes it to be called. However, the version of ntdll.dll that you have doesn't seem to contain that code to call. That surely sounds like versioning....

Whats weird is you are on XP and searching around I don't think "ALPC" (which is a newly rewritten version of "LPC") is in XP. Notice the function name references ALPC: NtAlpcSendWaitReceivePort. I think it is Vista forward only. That makes me think something assumes its running on XP. You might try running reaper in compatability mode. I suppose it could also be driver related since LPC isn't very close to the surface. That's a guess; I suppose they could have slipped it into XP SP3 but I'm grabbing at straws by this point.

Last edited by karbomusic; 06-08-2012 at 05:29 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #7
Cosmic Pig

Thanks for the well considered reply Karbo! I appreciate the sharing of knowledge.

I'll be checking for driver updates and stuff soon. Swamped lately with gigs and etc., but I'll post my findings here.

Cos.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #8
jeremija

same problem, renaming avrt.dll problem is solved.

Note that avrt.dll is win7 rtm, and my OS is XP, no wonder ntdll.dll in xp is not same as win7 dll.

Also, I have reason to believe that kies installation put that to my system32 folder, just can't understand how samsung can made such good smart phone and really really REALLY BAD software
jeremija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #9
Cosmic Pig

Hey I have Kies and xp too. I also noticed the only time it pops up is when I'm running video.

So what did you rename it to? Or maybe I should just dump Kies?

Cos.