Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 01-16-2009, 04:55 PM   #81
TheArchitect
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarfrenzi View Post
References:

http://broadcastengineering.com/hdtv...d-studio-0601/

http://www.aes.org/events/125/audiop...on.cfm?code=T2

-----------------------------------

I've been watching the subject of audio/video over Ethernet for the last 3 years (and dreaming) and were on the home straight.

It's not a limitation of Reamote that latency is an issue. Ethernet was not designed for audio and video and the approaches to date have been work arounds.

Once the new standards are finalized, it should be a simple matter of flashing the switch/router...no new hardware required.

We'll then start seeing audio/video interfaces that are interfaced via ethernet in addition to Firewire USB3.0 etc...

A truly networked multimedia home/studio....awesome

I guess Reamote will get a rewrite to take advantage of IEEE 802.1 AVB
Ethernet is certainly a limitation when it comes to latency for real time audio recording. That said, I have never need more horsepower than a single machine provides to track a full band @ 96/24. What application are you guys using this for that needs the extra juice?

I am looking to gather the extra juice for mixing to run SIR and other effects and so far so good buts its very early in the testing
TheArchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:34 PM   #82
simplecarnival

I just stumbled across the ReaMote stuff and am thinking about trying it. However, this particular comment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by labyrinth View Post
I was using ReaMote for a while, but the latency is way too much for most effects. Reverb and delay (non-tempo kind) can sometimes sneak by ReaMote's delay, but that's really it
...is a bit worrisome.

Before I try setting up a second machine, I'd first like to ask if what I'm looking to do can indeed be done.

In a typical working ReaMote mixing situation, if I am running impulse reverbs with SIR on the slave computer, will there be a delay between the signal I'm sending to the slave reverb and when the reverb starts?

In other words, do the effects act the same as if they were on the host computer (i.e. no additional "predelay" is added before a reverb effect)?
Old 01-17-2009, 05:26 PM   #83
TheArchitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplecarnival View Post
I just stumbled across the ReaMote stuff and am thinking about trying it. However, this particular comment...

...is a bit worrisome.

Before I try setting up a second machine, I'd first like to ask if what I'm looking to do can indeed be done.

In a typical working ReaMote mixing situation, if I am running impulse reverbs with SIR on the slave computer, will there be a delay between the signal I'm sending to the slave reverb and when the reverb starts?

In other words, do the effects act the same as if they were on the host computer (i.e. no additional "predelay" is added before a reverb effect)?
I think he is talking about running in realtime while tracking. I can't see where it would be any issue in mixdown situation where you have to deal with the various latencies of the effects being used anyway. Thats what PDC is for. Of course there is latency or "predelay" as you call it. That would be true of SIR run locally as well though
Old 01-17-2009, 06:47 PM   #84
simplecarnival

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
I think he is talking about running in realtime while tracking. I can't see where it would be any issue in mixdown situation where you have to deal with the various latencies of the effects being used anyway. Thats what PDC is for. Of course there is latency or "predelay" as you call it. That would be true of SIR run locally as well though
OK, thanks for the explanation. I'd only be using ReaMote for mixing anyway, so it looks like it'll be worth the time investment to get it going.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:27 PM   #85
hamish

Quote:
This is correct.
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:04 PM   #86
TheArchitect

Quote:
OK, thanks for the explanation. I'd only be using ReaMote for mixing anyway, so it looks like it'll be worth the time investment to get it going.
And it will be very little time at all. It took me all of five min to configure it one I found the notes in the manual.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:17 PM   #87
simplecarnival

Quote:
And it will be very little time at all. It took me all of five min to configure it one I found the notes in the manual.
Ah, but I have to resurrect/put together one of my old computers that I thought I would never use again! That's going to be a time investment -- just finding where all the parts are!

But ReaMote looks really cool and should prevent the headaches I had on the last major mixdown project I did. I'll report back with my progress... eventually!
Old 01-18-2009, 04:53 PM   #88
simplecarnival

I spent a good chunk of the afternoon digging up parts to make a working Frankenstein of a computer. And when I powered it up, I found it's... a 366 mHz Celeron.

Other problems prevented me from getting a hard drive working on the machine, so I put it aside. I'm not optimistic that a processor this slow/old will help much with impulse reverbs.

So this leads me to a second question about ReaMote. If I were to get a fairly powerful multi-core modern computer as a ReaMote rendering machine and left my current music computer as-is (It's a 3 gHz single core Celeron), would that be a worthwhile approach to take?

(I'd like to avoid buying a new system and re-configuring everything to work as my "main music computer" again.)

Last edited by simplecarnival; 01-18-2009 at 05:16 PM.
simplecarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:47 PM   #89
hamish

Quote:
I spent a good chunk of the afternoon digging up parts to make a working Frankenstein of a computer. And when I powered it up, I found it's... a 366 mHz Celeron.

Other problems prevented me from getting a hard drive working on the machine, so I put it aside. I'm not optimistic that a processor this slow/old will help much with impulse reverbs.
Your 366 mHz celeron won't run impulse reverbs, guaranteed, but it may still be worth setting up if you keep your pIV as your master. This is what I do, for the reasons below \/

Quote:

So this leads me to a second question about ReaMote. If I were to get a fairly powerful multi-core modern computer as a ReaMote rendering machine and left my current music computer as-is (It's a 3 gHz single core Celeron), would that be a worthwhile approach to take?

(I'd like to avoid buying a new system and re-configuring everything to work as my "main music computer" again.)
My main master is a 1.8 Ghz PIV, for a few reasons, I carry it around a lot and it's more solid than many new multi-cores. Because it's old and clunky it is not a target for a thief.

Because I use it for work its my "main music computer", even though it only has a slow 32GB hard drive.

With a network adaptor it can handle the network traffic of a mix easily, as long as the plugs are on one of my mult-core desktop slaves.

Using desktops for slaves is a great way to go, except you have to run the Ethernet cables into cupboards or through your ceiling. I have my main reamote slave in a shed on a 35 Metre cable through the ceiling. I set that machine up as a dedicated slave, it has no audio drivers installed for example. It even has no plugs installed, (except the cockos and JS) it gets most of the plugs off the NAS (see posts above)http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=16067&page=2

Now back to the pIII machine, it may be useful for certain old VSTi or FX that give you a bad 'denormal' (CPU hogging) bug on your P4 master. The PIII doesn't have the denormal problem, so offloading that effect can be useful. See what bubbagump says here http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...23&postcount=2

Last edited by hamish; 01-18-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:58 PM   #90
simplecarnival

Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Now back to the pIII machine, it may be useful for certain old VSTi or FX that give you a bad 'denormal' (CPU hogging) bug on your P4 master. The PIII doesn't have the denormal problem, so offloading that effect can be useful.
I've never run into any bad plugs -- or, if I have, I've immediately removed them from my system!

I'll need to kick around the idea of getting a second computer. I thought I was done buying gear for a while! Thanks again.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:08 AM   #91
FoamieOmie

I use Reamote with a PIII laptop as a slave. It is optimized like my music PIV with only audio use in mind. Reamote works fine for me, so far using these fx chains:

1: Realoud
ReaEQ (using one from version 2.44 after reading another thread that it's what works witht he latest version of REAPER)
Omniverb

2: ReaEQ
Glaceverb
Classic Master Limiter

and 2 instances of per item fx using Reapitch (also using ver, 2.44) and ReaEQ.

Slave uses 24-25% of CPU and rendering to .mp3 on main cpu went from .9 speed to 1.4 speed.

Hope this info helps.

Last edited by FoamieOmie; 01-19-2009 at 09:10 AM.
FoamieOmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:28 PM   #92
jaimematic

Default Gonna try it.

Hi Hamish. Thanks for a very useful thread. I've been using Reaper for a while now and decided to try out ReaMote due to my computer's shortcomings. The thing I haven't been able to find out in the forums is whether or not I can run the second version of Reaper off a thumb drive on my slave machine. I realize that the drive is slower than a regular drive but I'm curious about it's possibilities. The other thing I'm curious about is whether I need to buy a second license in order to install Reaper on a slave machine.
I'm sorry if this info is somewhere else but I couldn't find it.
jaimematic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:00 AM   #93
inthepipeline

Location: Bristol, UK. Slowly sinking island next to mainland Europe

A maybe slightly off topic question.

After hours of working out how to make my PC as quiet as possible I finally knocked a hole in the wall and put it next door, by the digital drum kit.
I have a dual monitor setup with the main monitor duplicated at the PC, whilst the other 2 are in the control room, which is now nice and quiet.
I can control the PC from 2 locations by using 2 identical remote keyboards and mice on the same TX channel.
For the first time I can record very dynamic sounds in the control room without significant background noise.

My question is this:

If I use reamote to enable extra processing on my older music PC, will enabling 'remote desktop' on both machines use a significant amount of bandwidth over LAN, or in other words, is it likely to interrupt Reamote?
Old 02-07-2009, 07:48 AM   #94
TheArchitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthepipeline View Post
A maybe slightly off topic question.

After hours of working out how to make my PC as quiet as possible I finally knocked a hole in the wall and put it next door, by the digital drum kit.
I have a dual monitor setup with the main monitor duplicated at the PC, whilst the other 2 are in the control room, which is now nice and quiet.
I can control the PC from 2 locations by using 2 identical remote keyboards and mice on the same TX channel.
For the first time I can record very dynamic sounds in the control room without significant background noise.

My question is this:

If I use reamote to enable extra processing on my older music PC, will enabling 'remote desktop' on both machines use a significant amount of bandwidth over LAN, or in other words, is it likely to interrupt Reamote?
There is really no need to control the slave. Once its turned on and the slave started ( I added it to the start menu on mine so it starts on boot.) there is no need to touch it. Everything is controlled from the master.

That said, RDP is pretty light compared to something like VNC. It will certainly have some impact but I have never used while running Reaper because there is no need to.
4gb Geil RAM / WD Caviar SE16 7200rmp SATA2 drives / Antec 650w Trio PS
RMA Hammerfall 9632 w/ 4input daughter board

Reamote Slave
Reaper v3.12
Intel P4 2.6gh / 2gb RAM / WD Caviar SE16 7200rmp SATA2 drives

Apps
Antares v5 / Kompact v1.04 / Melodyne
Kjaerhus GCO-1Compressor
Kjaerhus Classic Plugs / SIR1
Old 02-07-2009, 07:10 PM   #95
hamish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimematic View Post
Hi Hamish. Thanks for a very useful thread. I've been using Reaper for a while now and decided to try out ReaMote due to my computer's shortcomings. The thing I haven't been able to find out in the forums is whether or not I can run the second version of Reaper off a thumb drive on my slave machine. I realize that the drive is slower than a regular drive but I'm curious about it's possibilities. The other thing I'm curious about is whether I need to buy a second license in order to install Reaper on a slave machine.
I'm sorry if this info is somewhere else but I couldn't find it.
Not a problem. No need to buy an extra licence for the slave machine. Running from a thumb drive I haven't done, so give it a go and report back!

In the pipeline + architect: I haven't setup remote desktop, but I am considering it for the case of an old lappy with no screen.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:02 PM   #96
inthepipeline

Location: Bristol, UK. Slowly sinking island next to mainland Europe

Tha Architect,

Thanks for the reply. i'll have to try it since I now have:

main machine: AMD quad core, 8gig RAM
Backup machines: 3 x Dual core Athlon, 4gig RAM each.

Ooh, I feel BIG processing coming on.

*I*
Old 02-18-2009, 02:14 PM   #97
jaimematic

Default Reamote on thumb drive

Thanks Hamish, I'll give it a go and report back.
jaimematic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:23 AM   #98
keyman_sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish View Post
Hello to all in Reaperland

I got really excited when I found out about Reapers LAN implementation, and I started to test it soon after getting competent in the basics.

After dealing with some early issues, I have now found that I can use Reamote to get serious performance improvements in the realtime domain.

Because searching with keyword = reamote brings up mainly old, dead threads I wanted to start a new thread for Reamote specific Tips and Tricks.

I hope this thread can become a handy addition to the information on the wiki manual. http://www.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/ReaMote

Regards Hamish (I think I want to call it "electric ladyLAN" ....)
If you have a laptopt with wireless capability should you use an ethernet cable to connect the laptop and the PC? So, peer to peer or peer to LAN?
keyman_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:21 PM   #99
hamish

Sorry Keyman, didn't notice your post there! I usually get an automatic email for may subscriptions?!

Anyhow, I'd always use a cable. get a cross-over, although a long one so you can put the PC somewhere it's out of the way and you cant hear the fan.

If pipelineaudio or any LAN whiz who uses the DUX XP SP3 (no firewall) OS can explain to me how to set up a remote desktop I'd appreciate it. I tried for a few hours, and realised that I need 'LAN for Dummies' or windows networking for dummies, please save me $20!!!

hamish
Old 04-17-2009, 09:36 AM   #100
biggator

How are you guys using this even at mixdown?

I set it up as an experiment - fired up perfectly with little tweaking.. but the latency is unusable. I'm trying to run SIR on the remote machine (which is working perfectly) - but at 120bpm, there's about a full 1/8 note delay before the reverb kicks in.. and no, it's not the predelay setting in SIR.

I've tried a handful of plugins, all with the same amount of delay.. tweaking the host config didn't seem to make a difference.

FYI - this is on a full wired gig-e network.. <1ms latency.
biggator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:11 PM   #101
hamish

Default Reducing network delay with Reamote

Over a 1 Gb/s network ReaMote can get close to real time, but the best I have done is 25 ms which is still more than an 1/8th note at 120 bpm. It's more of a way to hear a mix with lots of effects that would otherwise stall your master (mixing) machine.

To reduce delay you can reduce the number of blocks (the network latency slider)

You can also reduce the render send-ahead, which by default is 1000ms.

Using a wired 1 Gb/s network like you I have had the blocks down to 2 (minimum setting is 'synchronus') and the render ahead to 25 ms.

This setting is a lot more responsive, but may be prone to a click or glitch.

You say you tried 'tweaking the host config', is this what you did? If so then the problem may be a plugin.

Personally I don't use SIR over reamote, and have also found cockos ReaVerb unsatisfactory too. For impulse reverb I highly recommend KeFIR by Piotr 'Habib' Pyrzanowski http://habib.webhost.pl/vst_keFIR.php

... however the latest version is not working with reaper fully, as the bank/presets are not restoring or saving properly. Give it a try though, if you want the earlier version (of keFIR dll) I could email it to you. Send a PM.

best luck
hamish

Last edited by hamish; 04-20-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:26 AM   #102
biggator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish View Post
Over a 1 Gb/s network ReaMote can get close to real time, but the best I have done is 25 ms which is still more than an 1/8th note at 120 bpm. It's more of a way to hear a mix with lots of effects that would otherwise stall your master (mixing) machine.

To reduce delay you can reduce the number of blocks (the network latency slider)

You can also reduce the render send-ahead, which by default is 1000ms.

Using a wired 1 Gb/s network like you I have had the blocks down to 2 (minimum setting is 'synchronus') and the render ahead to 25 ms.

This setting is a lot more responsive, but may be prone to a click or glitch.

You say you tried 'tweaking the host config', is this what you did? If so then the problem may be a plugin.

Personally I don't use SIR over reamote, and have also found cockos ReaVerb unsatisfactory too. For impulse reverb I highly recommend KeFIR by Piotr 'Habib' Pyrzanowski http://habib.webhost.pl/vst_keFIR.php

... however the latest version is not working with reaper fully, as the bank/presets are not restoring or saving properly. Give it a try though, if you want the earlier version (of keFIR dll) I could email it to you. Send a PM.

best luck
hamish
Thanks, Hamish -
yes, those are the settings I played with when I said 'tweaking the host'.. ironically - the other plugin I tried was Reaverb.. I'll try a few others I have sitting around and see what kind of results I can get.
biggator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:31 PM   #103
jesussaddle

Default Using Reamote For VST Instruments/Soft-synths

Hi. Thanks for this very useful thread. I was searching through the forum to find out if Reamote can help me with mixing down some VST synth stuff. I just need to know if it is possible, over either a gigabit switch or a x-over, to slave the VST synth. Actually, I have 2-3 extra PCs that could be used for this purpose, which would allow me to audition different synths and things while composing. It is possible to do it on one machine, but ideally I'd like to compose using a guitar while I play back some accompaniment. Any recording will likely be a problem, but with Reamote used for softsynths it could offer a solution.

Thanks in advance.
jesussaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:07 AM   #104
hamish

Hope I'm understanding you, sounds like you want to do stuff that is very do-able with reamote.

My experience is that most VSTi that run well on reaper will reamote ok.

The main issue I think is that the latency with VSTi will get more every loop of a sequence, but don't let this worry you, there's always a workaround.

It is in fact possible to track your guitar to live (no freeze) VSTi backing with reamote, despite what others may try to tell you.

I have two ways to do this.

1) If you have only 2 machines: Split your guitar signal (with an analog mixer if you have one, or the zero-latency monitor of your audio interface if you have it, or some pedals may have multiple outs) record your guitar dry and muted on your MASTER machine (the main REAPER project), and monitor using a multi-effects pedal with the approximate tone. Your dry track will be recorded in sync with the reamoted playback. Now you can add your favorite ampsim and tweak the tone along with the rest of the mix.

2) If you have 3+ machines: You can have one set up as a RECORDER with your best low-latency interface and an ampsim. Your MASTER can just use the onboard audo card, as latency is not an issue (assume default REAPER reamote settings, 1000 ms send ahead). Hit play on the MASTER with your VSTi backing, then record on your RECORDER machine project. Then as long as your guitar track has been recorded to a shared folder, you can locate this file over the network from your main MASTER reaper project and import it. The only drawback is you must manually position it, and of course you'll never be sample accurate. Still if you're like me, your guitar playing isn't sample accurate anyway ; )

Don't worry if you don't get this at first read, I suggest just make sure your hardware is ok and then hook it up.

A few months ago I started a list for myself of Free VSTi that are 'reamotable', meaning to post it here... Since then I have moved house, but I'll try to put something up, as this may be a big help for newbies.

hamish
Old 12-24-2009, 10:22 AM   #105
BlackBart

Hamish,
Great thread! I use Reamote for most of my projects, and it mostly works quite well. I've posted to the forums about some problems, but not gotten any responses. Hoping you might have some insight.

Reamote works great when a vst just has to do processing, but when samples or impulses need to be loaded....problems.

For example:
ReaVerb. It works fine...until you load an impulse.
Stylus RMX: can't get it to work
Omnisphere: same
Altiverb: same
SIR2: works, but you have to manually point to the impulse file.

I've made the directories identical on both computers.

I'd REALLY appreciate any info you might have!

BB
BlackBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:24 PM   #106
hamish

Hi BB, I've not been following the forum as closely as I'd like, so haven't read your posts re. these issues.

Of the plugs you list above, I've only used ReaVerb. As you say it doesn't work too well over reamote. I haven't tried it for many months. As I say above I use keFIR for all impulse convolution over ReaMote, as it works great. Only problem is it's an old build of keFIR, I'm happy to email it to you if you PM me.

I'm interested that SIR2 works over ReaMote. My experiences with sfz, SynthFontVSTi and keFIR tell me that a properly coded plug of this sort can run over reamote.

The issue of loading the samples or impulses with reamote. The almost failsafe method I use is: Load data (wav) file into the plug with track local from THE DRIVE OF THE SLAVE where you have ReaMote.exe running, then if it's sounding OK swith the track over to ReaMote processing (making sure it's to the right slave).

Much better and more flexible is to have samples and impulses on a seperate network drive. I have had some limited success with this.

These other plugs you talk about:
'Stylus RMX: can't get it to work
Omnisphere: same
Altiverb: same'

If these plugs allow you to load the impulse through an explorer window try the above methods. If they have a seperate configuration (maybe external to the plug) set it (on each installation) to point to the same directory on your network. I should say that this doesn't always work, for example with YellowTools Independence, I just can't reamote that beast!@#$#

There is also some intrinsic coding difficulty relating to 'latency' in this type of plug (beyond my understanding), but it is that fundamental difference between SIR1 and SIR2, in that SIR1 has a fixed latency that can't be compensated (or is not reported over VST). I suspect that it is this issue that causes some of the problems over ReaMote. Have you reamoted SIR1?

Anyhow, I've just been off for a holiday but I've also got some new toys to play with on my reamote so I'll look at it afresh in the next weeks...

hamish
Old 01-03-2010, 12:58 PM   #107
shakey.oberon

Did everyone know that gigabit ethernet cables are already crossover compatible? You don't need a specific cable
shakey.oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:09 PM   #108
AudioWonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakey.oberon View Post
Did everyone know that gigabit ethernet cables are already crossover compatible? You don't need a specific cable
Not true. There is no such thing as a "gigabit" cable unless you are referring to fiber. The ethernet standard is the same at any speed using the standard 8 pin RJ45 connector. Care to share the setup you are using?
AudioWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:17 PM   #109
karbomusic

Found this, maybe that's the confusion...

Quote:
Because all 1000BASE-T (gigabit Ethernet) equipment and nearly all new 10BASE-T and 100BASE-TX equipment supports automatic crossover, Cat-6 crossover cables are rare. Crossover cables are needed only between 10/100 Mb/s hosts or switches where neither end supports Auto-MDIX, and then Cat-5 is sufficient for this purpose.
Karbo
Old 01-19-2010, 09:14 PM   #110
hamish

Default ReaMotable Synths (ReaMote v0.91- VSTi - WIN XP)

This has been a while coming I know... Just a random grab from about 200+ of my free VSTi collection...

Accordion Safwan matni ---------- Patches are sent and GUI midi sent while reamoted [good]

aerophone (rurik leffanta) -------- Runs, but does not send the PC change, Reamote plays first patch in the bank. Causes reamote bug ('stuck chain') [unusable] !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The plug (and others similar?) is causing a bug in Reamote, where the chain is NOT Removed from the slave ReaMote v0.91 after the processing is switched local on the TCP. Subsequently ReaMote will not add chains, though they are reported as added in the TCP. Checking the performance monitor confirms they are NOT running via ReaMote.

arcDev Mainliner X2 (arcDev Noise Industries) ----- Patches are sent, and GUI tweaks on the fly [good]

ASynth (Antti @ Smartelectronix) (mono) --- Runs, patches are sent. Patches change while reamoted (no glitch). GUI tweaks are processed on the fly by ReaMote, no glitches [good]

GTG PD9 (Mikael Sybrandt) --- Runs. patch sent. GUI tweaks processed on the fly while Reamoted. [good]

String Theory (chris sciurba) ----- Runs, correct PC is selected on ReaMote. UI data is sent, even with Interface on bridge. [good]

Uniretro (Christoph Bielen)--- REAPER does not send the PC change over reamote? [unusable]

V2 VSTi (single) (farbrausch) ---- Runs. correct patch is selected on ReaMote. GUI tweaks not sent until processing is switched back local and then ReaMote. [good]

========================================

That's all for now, what I was hoping was to establish some rules of thumb. Having got this far I can see that this will be much harder that I realised.

You may notice that one SynthEdit plug, aerophone causes ReaMote to hang, while two others accordion and String Theory work flawlessly.

The native coded V2 works well, but GUI tweaks are not processed on the fly as I had expected.

The best news is that I can confirm that the 32 bit bridge mode is fully compatible over reamote, or at least is with String Theory.

I expect to add and update this list, and invite anyone else to add their own examples.

hamish

Last edited by hamish; 01-19-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:13 AM   #111
hamish

Default Standard Network cable for Gigabit X-over

Quickly, on the subject of a X-over connection on Gigabit hardware (1000 bps ethernet)

I can confirm that two computers with Gigabit LAN cards can establish a usable connection for the purposes of ReaMote using a standard cat 6 network cable. (Connecting without a hub or switch).

I imagine it may work with cat 5 too.

But not between 100 and 1000 bps equipped machines (for that use a specified 'crossover' cable)
Old 01-21-2010, 08:08 AM   #112
norbury brook

If you want real time latency for running VSTI's on a slave machine then try Vienna ensemble pro, http://vsl.co.at/en/211/497/1685/1693/1342.htm

Works a treat,I have it running here between two windows 7 x64 machines :-)

MC
norbury brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:59 AM   #113
BlackBart

Hamish,
SIR2 has been working great. I have the impulses in identical directroies on both machines. No problem loading and going between local and reamote. I'll try you slave drive trick...great idea. I spoke with AudioEase at NAMM re: Alti 7. It has a new architecture, and they think it should reamote properly...we'll see. Also, it's finally 64 bit.

Yeah...can't get any of the spectrasonics stuff to reamote.

BB
BlackBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:22 PM   #114
hamish

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
If you want real time latency for running VSTI's on a slave machine then try Vienna ensemble pro, http://vsl.co.at/en/211/497/1685/1693/1342.htm

Works a treat,I have it running here between two windows 7 x64 machines :-)

MC
I just have to drool over vienna in general, really I can't justify 195 euro even with the 'EPIC' orchestra.

The fact that it is a universal host of VSTi and AU mac PC it's got to be good.

Other thing is though with fast machines and x64 I would expect REAPER can ReaMote at real time, if you are prepared to do the work setting up the instruments.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:33 AM   #115
IIRs

Default network noob

Hi and thanks for a very informative thread.

I just experimented with Reamote for the first time: I used an old laptop as a slave, and once I had maxed the latency, reduced the max packet size and switched to 32 bit mode it ran fairly glitch-free... considering the slave laptop was connected wirelessly I found this result quite promising!

So, now I want to experiment with a proper setup at the studio: I have an old PIV desktop, plus the aforementioned laptop (dual core) which I would like to try slaving to my main DAW. Unfortunately I am quite ignorant regarding network setups, so hopefully you guys can give me some advice.

My studio is within a small complex comprising 4 other control rooms plus a shared live room. We already have a pair of routers providing wired and wireless internet access... what I would like to do is to create a sub-network in my own studio which would be as fast as possible, but which would also connect to the main studio network so I can still get online when needed.

I imagine that I would need a switch? Or should that be a hub? Any specific type? Any specific cables?

Ok next question: the small fx chain I off-loaded to the slave seemed to be using more cpu than it would have done if running normally on the slave machine, ie: a chain of fx that uses 3.3% cpu when running in reaper uses 13-14% when running in reamote. Would that improve if using a cable? Or by adding a network adapter?

Thanks in advance.
IIRs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:25 PM   #116
hamish

IIRs

I've been using Reamote for a while, but I've never used wireless!

I'll have a crack at answering your questions, but be aware I'm certainly NOT a networking pro. My networking has been on win 98 and XP machines, plus just some simple experiments with Ubuntu linux.

I'll assume from the description of your machines that it is windows network.

A good rule of thumb is that the reamote network will only run as fast as the slowest machine you have on the network. I have found this affects the 'max packet size' parameter of the ReaMote configuration (in REAPER preferences). When I have my PIV on the network I find that to be glitch-free I need to reduce that to 1400 as suggested in this dialog box.

I suggest you will get a useful setup by getting hold of a gigabit switch, connecting your two computers to it and connecting via the switch to your main studio network. This way you can access the net as well as have your own LAN for ReaMote.

Definitely connect Master and Slave with cable, cat 5e or cat 6. Just don't get the cheapest 'noname' cable, as I've had so many that fail, it's a waste of time.

On the subject of the CPU meter on ReaMote, compare it to the windows Task Manager 'Performance' tab, I'm not sure exactly what it measures, I thought it was just FX chain usage.

Also adding a network adapter is often a BIG benefit, really moreso on an old machine like your PIV, it can turn it into a much more usable slave. (It will work with a bigger 'max packet size' and less blocks on the network latency slider)
Old 02-08-2010, 12:46 AM   #117
IIRs

thankyou! I'll let you know how I get on...
IIRs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:53 PM   #118
hamish

Default Using computers name in place of IP

I just posted this on the REAPER bug reports forum, but cross post here in case it gets lost.

This is a set of problems I'm getting in Reamote. Using automatic IP, if I edit a Reamote Slave (in REAPER Preferences > Plug-ins > ReaMote) specifically if I change the IP address to the computers network name firstly the #FX doubles, and after that I get the following error msg when trying to send a chain to a ReaMote host:

'Error sending packet to ReaMote host (is your blocksize too large?). ReaMote disabled for chain.'

However the ReaMote slave shows that a chain has been added. No ReaMote network parameter fiddling will help it. (ie. reducing blocksize) Even the minimal case of a test project of 1 reaper plug, ReaSynth, will result in the same error message.

If I restart REAPER, the ReaMote configuration dialog will show the ReaMote Slave with its network name, the CORRECT number of plugs (#FX) and status (online). Adding any plug and reamoting the chain gives me the 'Error sending packet...' again.

Without restarting any computer I can just (in ReaMote configuration) <Remove> the slave and then <Auto-Search> to reset and it works fine! Problem is my slave machines are identified only by IP numbers, which means having to go to each machine, check network connection to see its IP if I want to know which physical machine is running which plug. (FR - aliasing for ReaMote Slaves)

Can anyone duplicate? BTW To get the computers network name in XP you go Control Panel > System > click computer name then copy the name data after 'Full computer name'
Old 11-17-2010, 10:30 AM   #119
ted

Default keep this thread alive ( . ) ( . ) we are watching

reamote is as close to a great invention as sliced bread,,,

my highest reamote chain is 26 with slave's dual xeon's @ 70%, runs smoothly.. using some very serious, cpu crunching, effects packages..

the meters don't work using reamote. and, generally, i have to re-start reaper, a 2nd time to get all effects to load,, sometimes on 1st load attempt i get message, "reverting back to local processing, slave not available"..

--this is the error i am trying to stop from happening...

but, once, song is loaded, runs everything runs smoothly,, no jitters or fallout's, that my 63 year old ears, can hear..

what have i done differently that what i've read in the thread...was in equipment choices... all this crap, came off ebay !!

master ... 3.4ghz pentium d, 2gb memory, 10/100 router connection
slave ... 3.0ghz dual xeon, 2gb memory, 10/100/1000 on-board motherboard..

so, i have to assume the more horsepower you got, the better it works...and i think that it means more on the slave than the master.. here's why...

these are rather old machines, i just did an upgrade on master from 3.0 H/T ( for those who are learning, as i had to do, H/T or HYPERTHREADING is a single core processor that acts or addresses itself as dual core) H/T technology was itel's, not to be a single nor a dual core processor, but the middle ground processor ) to 3.4 pentium d (dual core) , honestly, the 3.0 H/T, single core ran the same number of effects, effortlessly..

i bought master as it had 4 pci slots... i needed 2 for for my old, but trustworthy, dual layla 20's... and wanted to have a couple of spares for expansion.. i have now used 1 for firewire card and the other will be used for 10/100/100 cardbus, when it arrives....

a word of caution,,, using older interfaces with the newer motherboards, sometimes creates problems that can't solved... i see this, in the echo (layla 20) forum... believe that one must be careful in equipment choices that interfaces and computers are of a very close manufacture date....

anyway, back to reamote, thinking i might get reamote to work even smoother, i started experimenting with a firewall connection.. i got reamote to connect on both computers, but, the 10/100 connection had to be present for it to connect.. even, then, reamote, used only the 10/100 connection. the firewire connection was connected but did nothing for my reamote... after spending, way too much time, with the firewire....( i'll probably leave the firewire installed to do backups from master to slave ), it is destined not to be a part of my reamote..

so, ysrterday, i ordered a 10/100/1000 cardbus for master, cat6 cables & x-over, 10/100/1000 switch..

u'all, think i can improve connection this way..
well, i'll let you all know if this is true...but, if it does, all improvements will be as a result of this thread...

bottom line, my reamote, as is, using 10/100 router connection, cat 5 cables and a lot of horsepower is a screamer... hope some of this helps someone.. as there is very little information available on reamote..

keep this thread alive, we are watching (.) (.)

ted
STUDENT: School of Hard Knocks...........

Last edited by ted; 11-17-2010 at 10:34 AM. Reason: spelling
ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:21 AM   #120
beingmf

As I see this: has anyone tried a UAD-1 on the slave, or wouldn't it work since the plugins wouldn't show up in the host without the hardware present??
beingmf is online now   Reply With Quote