Old 12-17-2007, 06:47 PM   #1
hamish
Human being with feelings

Default Get The Most Out Of Reamote

Hello to all in Reaperland

I got really excited when I found out about Reapers LAN implementation, and I started to test it soon after getting competent in the basics.

After dealing with some early issues, I have now found that I can use Reamote to get serious performance improvements in realtime mixing and even tracking.

Because searching with keyword = reamote brings up mainly old, dead threads I wanted to start a new thread for Reamote specific Tips and Tricks.

I hope this thread can become a handy addition to the information on the wiki manual. http://www.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/ReaMote

Regards Hamish (I think I want to call it "electricladyLAN" ....)

Last edited by hamish; 02-05-2013 at 03:45 PM. Reason: added wiki reamote url. updated info.
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 06:57 PM   #2
hamish

Default Have you got the same Reamote version on master and slaves?

When you are using more than 3 computers it takes a while to synchronise the FX folders and Reaper versions.

If you had Reamote ver 0.5 on a slave but 0.6 on the master you would get 'new connection' followed immediately by 'connection closed' on the slave machine.

Make sure the versions are latest on all machines. Obvious really I guess.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:19 PM   #3
hamish

Default Subtle Hardware Issue

******* IS YOUR NETWORK ADAPTER ON-BOARD OR DEDICATED?

Some time after my first successful Reamote session, using two old laptops linked by a 8-port gigabit hub I noticed a paradox. Running a little arrangement of VSTi's and FX on the master machine that was using about 50-70% on Cpu, when I offloaded a chain of say 10% to my slave the host cpu load remainded the same. That is to say it stayed at 50-70% on the master machine.

I guessed that the network processing was taking up cpu.

While you may get value out of typical laptop ethernet by running a single very cpu intensive job on a slave (ie high quality reverb) as a master effect, so you only send 2 audio channels, in general the fact is that on-board NIC is using motherboard cpu, the more stuff you send to network the more Cpu you will use. Paradox.

I figured that the way to go was get a cardbus network adapter in the master machine, that way the ethernet connection is dealing with the PCI bus transparently.

After getting another old p4 machine that I run as a master I now get the performance I was expecting. The cpu is about 35-50% with all chains being processed 'local'. Offloading 10-20% worth to 'reamote processing' results in corresponding drop on the master macine cpu.

I'm getting closer to the mythical 8 cpu FX muncher.....

Last edited by hamish; 02-05-2013 at 03:46 PM. Reason: new, more improved words...
Old 12-26-2007, 07:03 AM   #4
hamish

Default dependencies over reamote

Hello, this thread is looking like a little lost blog, but I'll keep it going while I'm doing lots of Reamote research.

Before you go on be aware this is quite win XP specific...

Scanning the forums for reamote posts there are a couple of questions about what happens if an instrument or effect has a dependency on a data file. Most commonly that would be a sampler instrument or a convolution reverb. (understand that patch info IS sent along with any MIDI or audio to be processed, but data dependencies such as samples are not. I think...)

This means that your presets can be on your MASTER, and when you load a preset, the inst or FX instance on the SLAVE is updated instantly, sent by REAPER.

Data files like samples and impulse responses need to be in mirror directories (identical paths, including drive letter) on both MASTER and SLAVES. Or so I thought after reading this post

http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthre...hlight=reamote

Anywho today I had the pleasure of 1)loading up SFZ in my MASTER. 2) loading it with an sf2 from MY SLAVES sf2 FOLDER via "my network places" in the SFZ open sf2 explorer. 3) selecting "Reamote #1 xxxxxxxx" in my Track FX. 4) pressing play and getting good stuff 5) did it on another instance. 6) still plays well.

Other things that may be of importance.... I set my drive on the SLAVE to be shared. (via setup the MSN Home network thing with no firewalls, even had to shut down some persistent do-gooder processes through taskmanager)

unzip this ogg vorbis for the cheesy proof that it rendered true.
Attached Files
File Type: zip small_world-sfz_leads-9LaN-glockenspiel.zip (880.7 KB, 517 views)
Old 12-26-2007, 07:17 AM   #5
arbogast

Wonderful thread! Keep going please.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:23 AM   #6
labyrinth

Default Services

What services NEED to be on for this to work? I am trying to optimize both the master and slave PCs, but do not want to make them incapable of ReaMote Functions.

Please Help.

Also, did you use a static IP address on both PCs to get ReaMote to work?
Old 01-15-2008, 05:29 PM   #7
StepOne

I assume that there would be very few performance benefits if I attempt to use this over a Wireless-G connection?
StepOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:54 PM   #8
FoamieOmie

So do I just need the gigabit pci for my host cpu and just use the onboard laptop ethernet connection? Sorry, but I've never set this up before! Actually, once I get the new pci a step by step setup (properties and the other internal stuff. Installing the card is no problem) would rock, if anyone feels like explaining it!
FoamieOmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:37 AM   #9
FoamieOmie

OK, so the gigabit pci is on the way (Gigabit 10/100/1000MBps) and a crossover cable as well. The laptop (or soon to be slave) is as you suspected a 10/100. What I'll need help with is getting all of this setup in the computer properties. I think I successfully have them both on the same ip address (one is something like 169.168.0.1 the slave is 169.168.0.2) but like I said I've never done this so any help would rock!
FoamieOmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:11 PM   #10
hamish

Default Setting up and IP

Hi again Foamie,

I am waiting for a cross-over cable myself 'cos I thought sometimes a two machine setup could be a bit quicker.

Maybe you read this thread http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16419. Some people have had some nasty problems with cross-over setups

"The Acer box wants to get a dynamic IP via DHCP, but there is no DHCP server in your network which can offer an address"

After reading stuff like this, I'm glad I bought my Gigabit switch before I tried cross-over. I have had no need for static IP. I'll be happy to swap tips with you on cross-over setups once I'm up with that.

I had never done any networking before I connected up my old PIII laptop with win98, my switch and my newer PIV laptop. I just had all the default services, but no firewall or antivirus. I had no Microsoft Network connection established, just relied on the OK lights on the switch, and Networking tab in Windows Task Manager to know I had a good connection (if your not using it, usually at C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe then start now). On my win98 machine I had the intel NIC properties applet open.

Then started ReaMote on the PIII, start master machine with REAPER (Options, Preferences, plugins, ReaMote tick 'enable reamote processing, click 'Auto-Search' and I was away.

The only thing I'd like would be to alias the IP's for when I hook up more than 3 machines, otherwise I'll waste time trying to find the right machine from a long list of numbers.

There is another thread around somewhere of someone doing well with Static IP (I think using 2-machine-crossover config)

Check ya later...
Old 01-17-2008, 06:34 AM   #11
labyrinth

Default I Still Can Not Get The ReaMote Working

I tried using a DHCP and a static IP, now I'm using DHCP on the Main Tab and also a static IP on the Alternate Tab, but no avail.

I've working with this on this thread too...
http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthre...726#post146726

Any Help Would Be Great!
Old 03-12-2008, 11:41 AM   #12
S-N-S

im still to try rearouting reaper and renoise,but hopefully i will have time to do it in the weekend,and hopefully without too many problems

S-N-S

www.myspace.com/scandinaviannoizesyndicate

FOR NEWS AND INFO
http://digitalvomit.wikidot.com/scan...oize-syndicate
S-N-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:29 AM   #13
hamish

Hello Charles, SNS and labyrinth.

I like ReaMote, and am still excited about it, however it's certainly not going to work like a project on one machine.

As far as I can see, the main place you can't use reamote is for tracking, unless you are just putting down an audio track with no FX. That is to say it's probably not good for tracking midi using FX like a VSTi with your midi keyboard.

REAPER also has rearoute and ninjam which may be possible to use with lower latency for a multi-box LAN tracking setup. This has been discussed on a few threads but I haven't tried it yet.

I consider ReaMote to be a very valuable feature of REAPER, which can really come into it's own with a heavy CPU mixdown. In one scenario, a 4 piece band could all pool their Core Duo laptops connected to a gigabit switch and take full advantage of 8 cpu's in close to real-time.

It seems charles' question about 'transparency' relates to my questions about threading under reamote. I think charles you might consider the difference between onboard (mobo) ethernet adapter and dedicated, or card adapter. The card can deliver data to the PCI bus with less clock cycles than the mobo adapter, as the net traffic increases this becomes significant.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:44 AM   #14
hamish

Default ReaMote Optimisation, tip #13 WIN XP SP3

Well I haven't posted on this thread for a while sorry anyone watching...

I am now officially off the 'service tweaking' idea. I have read from two separate sources that tweaking services will only give very small improvements in performance.

I had an idea to take the 'GUI less' aspect of ReaMote a bit farther.

Select Reamote.exe in your REAPER folder, press alt+return to bring up the properties dialog. get the compatability pane and check everything (the 3 boxes) under 'Display settings'.

I did this on two machines, a PIII with 256 MB ram and a Core Duo box with 512 MB ram (I'll add more soon) used both as slaves to my main master, a Compaq PIV laptop.

The effect of using a lower resolution graphic gave about an extra 1 MB of available Ram, but I think more importantly a few more available %% of CPU.

ReaGards
Hamish
Old 04-03-2008, 04:21 AM   #15
griz lee

i've found reaMote very useful recently. For the reasons you guys mention, i've had to be careful as to exactly what those uses are. But, it's an amazing tool! Here's how/why i've been using it:

1. Using ReaVerb on the slave whilst my main DAW is set to UAD-1 synchronous processing.

ReaVerb clicks like hell in synch mode, yet the UAD-1 won't work properly without it. My answer is to remote my ReaVerbs to my laptop. I use a crossover cable, and can set the network latency down to 10 blocks before things go wrong. This is acceptable performance for a reverb.

The main conceptual problem I have with Reamote is that whole chains need to run on it. I wonder if someday it is possible to have an fx structure where a 'subchain' (i like the chain idea, it's useful as it clearly saves resources in a network context) of the main chain could run on the reamote slave, permitting you to add host stuff before and after the reamote subchain.

2. Reamote has really saved the day for me adding extra power -- i've been experimenting with surround mixing recently and found i need to run far more plugins than for stereo. Again, in this non-time critical context, reamote is excellent and really makes something possible that wouldn't be possible for me otherwise. I'm very glad to have this in a DAW.
griz lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:38 AM   #16
General Contact Unit

Processing live input has multi core issues. Reamote used as a kludge:
http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19189
-Switchfoot
General Contact Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:14 AM   #17
Deric

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz lee View Post
...have an fx structure where a 'subchain' <snip>...of the main chain could run on the reamote slave, permitting you to add host stuff before and after the reamote subchain...
Yeah griz lee, that would be great!
Old 11-17-2010, 03:06 PM   #18
hamish

Default RE. UAD

beingmf, ted - I don't use UAD plugs myself, so I'm not sure if the following info. is current and applicable to the soft/hardware that you have.

griz lee reported using UAD on ReaMote back in 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz lee View Post
guys,

i haven't tested this with the newest drivers (4.7.1), but as far as 4.6 which i've got installed, you can actually do a neat trick with the UAD plugins. They will work with Reamote!

Here's how:

install the uad driver, and plugins onto the machine without the card. Sounds dumb, huh? Well, what i found happens is that the interfaces come up fully functional, nothing else of course happens. BUT, that's good enough for ReaMote, it just needs the interface of the plugs to be the same I think. What then happens as far as processing is sent off to the remote slave.

So, with your plugins+card on the remote machine, and using just the interfaces on the local machine, you can access your uad-1 via reamote and still get the interfaces.

Magic. I hope this still works in 4.7. The above appears fine for me in 4.6

However, like you I have loads of stuff on dongle (urs mainly) that i can't use. It certainly would be good to have the actual gui of the remote plugins pop up, and also to be able to split parts of fx chains for local and remote processing so you don't get the all or nothing deal we have. This said, I absolutely love ReaMote !! A very, very cool feature indeed.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:00 AM   #19
inthepipeline

Location: Bristol, UK. Slowly sinking island next to mainland Europe

A maybe slightly off topic question.

After hours of working out how to make my PC as quiet as possible I finally knocked a hole in the wall and put it next door, by the digital drum kit.
I have a dual monitor setup with the main monitor duplicated at the PC, whilst the other 2 are in the control room, which is now nice and quiet.
I can control the PC from 2 locations by using 2 identical remote keyboards and mice on the same TX channel.
For the first time I can record very dynamic sounds in the control room without significant background noise.

My question is this:

If I use reamote to enable extra processing on my older music PC, will enabling 'remote desktop' on both machines use a significant amount of bandwidth over LAN, or in other words, is it likely to interrupt Reamote?
Old 02-07-2009, 07:48 AM   #20
TheArchitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthepipeline View Post
A maybe slightly off topic question.

After hours of working out how to make my PC as quiet as possible I finally knocked a hole in the wall and put it next door, by the digital drum kit.
I have a dual monitor setup with the main monitor duplicated at the PC, whilst the other 2 are in the control room, which is now nice and quiet.
I can control the PC from 2 locations by using 2 identical remote keyboards and mice on the same TX channel.
For the first time I can record very dynamic sounds in the control room without significant background noise.

My question is this:

If I use reamote to enable extra processing on my older music PC, will enabling 'remote desktop' on both machines use a significant amount of bandwidth over LAN, or in other words, is it likely to interrupt Reamote?
There is really no need to control the slave. Once its turned on and the slave started ( I added it to the start menu on mine so it starts on boot.) there is no need to touch it. Everything is controlled from the master.

That said, RDP is pretty light compared to something like VNC. It will certainly have some impact but I have never used while running Reaper because there is no need to.
4gb Geil RAM / WD Caviar SE16 7200rmp SATA2 drives / Antec 650w Trio PS
RMA Hammerfall 9632 w/ 4input daughter board

Reamote Slave
Reaper v3.12
Intel P4 2.6gh / 2gb RAM / WD Caviar SE16 7200rmp SATA2 drives

Apps
Antares v5 / Kompact v1.04 / Melodyne
Kjaerhus GCO-1Compressor
Kjaerhus Classic Plugs / SIR1
TheArchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:23 AM   #21
keyman_sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish View Post
Hello to all in Reaperland

I got really excited when I found out about Reapers LAN implementation, and I started to test it soon after getting competent in the basics.

After dealing with some early issues, I have now found that I can use Reamote to get serious performance improvements in the realtime domain.

Because searching with keyword = reamote brings up mainly old, dead threads I wanted to start a new thread for Reamote specific Tips and Tricks.

I hope this thread can become a handy addition to the information on the wiki manual. http://www.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/ReaMote

Regards Hamish (I think I want to call it "electric ladyLAN" ....)
If you have a laptopt with wireless capability should you use an ethernet cable to connect the laptop and the PC? So, peer to peer or peer to LAN?
keyman_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:21 PM   #22
hamish

Sorry Keyman, didn't notice your post there! I usually get an automatic email for may subscriptions?!

Anyhow, I'd always use a cable. get a cross-over, although a long one so you can put the PC somewhere it's out of the way and you cant hear the fan.

If pipelineaudio or any LAN whiz who uses the DUX XP SP3 (no firewall) OS can explain to me how to set up a remote desktop I'd appreciate it. I tried for a few hours, and realised that I need 'LAN for Dummies' or windows networking for dummies, please save me $20!!!

hamish
Old 04-17-2009, 09:36 AM   #23
biggator

How are you guys using this even at mixdown?

I set it up as an experiment - fired up perfectly with little tweaking.. but the latency is unusable. I'm trying to run SIR on the remote machine (which is working perfectly) - but at 120bpm, there's about a full 1/8 note delay before the reverb kicks in.. and no, it's not the predelay setting in SIR.

I've tried a handful of plugins, all with the same amount of delay.. tweaking the host config didn't seem to make a difference.

FYI - this is on a full wired gig-e network.. <1ms latency.
biggator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:11 PM   #24
hamish

Default Reducing network delay with Reamote

Over a 1 Gb/s network ReaMote can get close to real time, but the best I have done is 25 ms which is still more than an 1/8th note at 120 bpm. It's more of a way to hear a mix with lots of effects that would otherwise stall your master (mixing) machine.

To reduce delay you can reduce the number of blocks (the network latency slider)

You can also reduce the render send-ahead, which by default is 1000ms.

Using a wired 1 Gb/s network like you I have had the blocks down to 2 (minimum setting is 'synchronus') and the render ahead to 25 ms.

This setting is a lot more responsive, but may be prone to a click or glitch.

You say you tried 'tweaking the host config', is this what you did? If so then the problem may be a plugin.

Personally I don't use SIR over reamote, and have also found cockos ReaVerb unsatisfactory too. For impulse reverb I highly recommend KeFIR by Piotr 'Habib' Pyrzanowski http://habib.webhost.pl/vst_keFIR.php

... however the latest version is not working with reaper fully, as the bank/presets are not restoring or saving properly. Give it a try though, if you want the earlier version (of keFIR dll) I could email it to you. Send a PM.

best luck
hamish

Last edited by hamish; 04-20-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:26 AM   #25
biggator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish View Post
Over a 1 Gb/s network ReaMote can get close to real time, but the best I have done is 25 ms which is still more than an 1/8th note at 120 bpm. It's more of a way to hear a mix with lots of effects that would otherwise stall your master (mixing) machine.

To reduce delay you can reduce the number of blocks (the network latency slider)

You can also reduce the render send-ahead, which by default is 1000ms.

Using a wired 1 Gb/s network like you I have had the blocks down to 2 (minimum setting is 'synchronus') and the render ahead to 25 ms.

This setting is a lot more responsive, but may be prone to a click or glitch.

You say you tried 'tweaking the host config', is this what you did? If so then the problem may be a plugin.

Personally I don't use SIR over reamote, and have also found cockos ReaVerb unsatisfactory too. For impulse reverb I highly recommend KeFIR by Piotr 'Habib' Pyrzanowski http://habib.webhost.pl/vst_keFIR.php

... however the latest version is not working with reaper fully, as the bank/presets are not restoring or saving properly. Give it a try though, if you want the earlier version (of keFIR dll) I could email it to you. Send a PM.

best luck
hamish
Thanks, Hamish -
yes, those are the settings I played with when I said 'tweaking the host'.. ironically - the other plugin I tried was Reaverb.. I'll try a few others I have sitting around and see what kind of results I can get.
biggator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:46 PM   #26
hotjams

Default I'm very interested in this...

bump.
hotjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:15 AM   #27
hamish

Hi there, it'll be another few weeks til I get do do more. I'm at home with kids until school starts again.

When I do more my priorities are to do more ratings for my favorite 70 or so free 3rd party VST synths and FX using REAPER 4.

So stay tuned, but don't hold your breath!
Old 01-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #28
hamish

Default Quick REAMOTE test on VSTSynthFont

Hello, I did 40 mins of REAMOTE today, while the kids watched TV.

The MASTER was an old DELL laptop XPS, windows XP SP2. I ran REAPER from hard drive and also from pendrive. Version 4.02 32 bit (or thereabouts)

The SLAVE was the family box (kitchen computer), win 7 OS, with an Asus mobo and an i5-2410M @ 2.30GHz, meaning that the slave has about 3-4 x the processing power than the laptop. This box was running REAMOTE 0.92 (c) which as far as I know is the current ver.

The connection was X-over (using standard cat 6 cable)

I wanted to test the latest version of VSTSynthFont.dll (available at http://www.synthfont.com/Downloads.html) as it is a free soft sampler with multi-channel audio (32 channels) that has full sf2 and sfz format compliance (in terms of layers, envelopes and filters).

I had no faults, and good noiseless switching, but with only one minimal track.

The main problem with this plug in REAMOTE is that sf2 and sfz file loading has to be done manually on the SLAVE.(unless you are running a remote desktop of your SLAVE machine, which I don't). It may be improved by having mirrored sf2 and sfz directories, as the synthfont .vsarr file uses absolute addressing.

PC on a standard GM bank sf2 is good though, as VSTSynthFont has a full standard MIDI command set for CCs.

hamish
Old 01-20-2012, 12:43 AM   #29
Ozymandias

So it is possible to run a soft sampler on a Reamote slave.

Have you ever attempted something similar with Kontakt Player, Hamish? I'm desperate to be able to use Kontakt on a slave machine, but despite my attempts to mirror my setup on both machines I've yet to have any success.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:46 AM   #30
hamish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
So it is possible to run a soft sampler on a Reamote slave.

Have you ever attempted something similar with Kontakt Player, Hamish? I'm desperate to be able to use Kontakt on a slave machine, but despite my attempts to mirror my setup on both machines I've yet to have any success.
Kontakt is not a priority for me sorry, especially after my attempts with yellowtools independence. (failed)

The softsamplers I have used are sfz and VSTSynthfont. Sfz is by far the easiest - highly recommended, make 5 or 6 copies ie. sfz1.dll sfz2.dll etc.

I have a feeling that low-latency REAMOTE may not work with plugins that have big bank loads (not talking about samples here, just the configurations of the plugs). I have not tested this but I think if REAMOTE packet size is too small then initialisation may break.

I could be wrong. Initialisation is invoked locally, and contrary to myth does not need to be on mirror drives (for most plugins).

The most amazing thing is that libraries don't have to be mirrored with either sfz or VSTSynthFont. There are still issues with VSTSynthFont and you need to understand the plugins initialisation very well to get the results you want. VSTSynthFont loads sf2 according to the local last .vstarr, and that can't be changed via reamote (until it can be loaded from a network drive, which currently I can't get working...)

Each plugin is different. I tried everything I could with independence including identical mirrored configuratins on MASTER and SLAVE before finally giving up. (I wonder if it would have worked if I made the REAMOTE packets maximum size, but seriously can get to be a waste of time). I just have a nasty feeling that Kontakt will be the same story.

hamish

Last edited by hamish; 01-20-2012 at 03:53 AM.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:13 PM   #31
M4dM4tt

Default My Experience and Questions

Hey guys, hey hamish (thanks for the thread!)

I just quickly tried and setup my reamote.
I used my master workstation (8core 4.1GHz 16GB RAM) and an old Laptop (Dual Core 2.1GHz 4GB RAM). both on Windows 10 64bit.

To establish a connection i abused my old router as LANhub and connected Master and Slave with a normal ethernet cable (they didn't see each otehr in windows, but by dialing in the slaves automatically assigned IP it worked).

Now, the thing is, that there seems to be NO WAY to get anywhere near synchronous processing with this setup, and i intended to use the Laptop as additional processing power for my realtime setup in the band (everything is life processed. Drums Bass and Guitar).
I wasn't able to get reamote latencies under 30ms.

@Hamish
would you say it is even possible to get this to work with the proper gear (like a real switch and good cables, or even just a good cross cable?)?

or is this more intended for editing and mixing, when realtime processing doesn't matter as much?

Thanks for your input, and i hope my post also helps someone having some old stuff laying around and isn't in the particular need for realtime reamote processing.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:53 AM   #32
hamish

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4dM4tt View Post
Hey guys, hey hamish (thanks for the thread!)

I just quickly tried and setup my reamote.
I used my master workstation (8core 4.1GHz 16GB RAM) and an old Laptop (Dual Core 2.1GHz 4GB RAM). both on Windows 10 64bit.

To establish a connection i abused my old router as LANhub and connected Master and Slave with a normal ethernet cable (they didn't see each otehr in windows, but by dialing in the slaves automatically assigned IP it worked).

Now, the thing is, that there seems to be NO WAY to get anywhere near synchronous processing with this setup, and i intended to use the Laptop as additional processing power for my realtime setup in the band (everything is life processed. Drums Bass and Guitar).
I wasn't able to get reamote latencies under 30ms.

@Hamish
would you say it is even possible to get this to work with the proper gear (like a real switch and good cables, or even just a good cross cable?)?

or is this more intended for editing and mixing, when realtime processing doesn't matter as much?

Thanks for your input, and i hope my post also helps someone having some old stuff laying around and isn't in the particular need for realtime reamote processing.
Hey, sorry to be late replying. I have normally used ReaMote just in mixing, when larger latency isn't a big problem.

I have read posts (not in this thread) where people have claimed it's possible to play some synths live over ReaMote.

I could never run 'synchronous' mode, but I have got latency down close to live playable with some VSTi, and a home/office network switch.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has been using ReaMote for live or tracking synths, and what network gear they are using.

I have a classroom and studio with 16 networked iMacs, but our switch is a bit old. Hopefully we will upgrade next year and I will get around to trying some low-latency ReaMote jamming.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:59 AM   #33
jazznfunk

It is possible to open plugin windows on slave machine?

I would like to use ReaMote for monitoring. Make one buss with analyser plugins, viewable and "processable" on seperate machine.

*edit. i found ReaStrem. Seems, this is answer to my needs.

Last edited by jazznfunk; 12-27-2017 at 09:13 AM.
jazznfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:54 AM   #34
brickone

Hi,

anyone has an idea how to solve the 'Error sending packet to ReaMote host..' message..? Tried different settings of packet size but with vst3 i cant get it to work.

Thanks in advance.

brick1
Old 10-31-2018, 10:20 PM   #35
Swi

Default Reamote reverb processing computer builds

I recently built an AMD 32 core 2990wx system that has replaced 4 computers so I have broken free from using VEP. I then had extra computers laying around that I now use to process my reverbs. I am a film and TV composer with a template that has 25 busses that are also my stem outputs for delivery on jobs that require stems for delivery. Each stem has it's own reverb so I have 25 verbs, 6 of which are hardware verb units. I run the other 18 Pro-R verbs and one acutica verb on two old computers and I have had such great success with this that I am now curious if anyone knows what a premium reverb processing computer would look like. I am assuming that I need a lot of cores at a reasonable frequency, not much ram or hard drive space. I have a TC system 6000 that I use for 4 stereo verbs, a 224xl, and my favorite is a pcm80 that has the most metallic granular type of reverb sound but I want to sell my hardware verbs because I want to be able to offline render my sessions. I used to use 2 UAD octo cards but one of them died because it was 10 years old or so and I do not need to buy another and have no desire to invest in another 1000$ into a card. I suspect I could break free of UAD completely and just use acustica plugs, get the sound I want then render the plug into the item, and move on with my mixes.

If anyone is knowledgeable about what kind of computer build is or would be ideal for reverb processing I would love to hear about it.

Thank you, Reaper and Reaper community for my liberation.
Swi is offline   Reply With Quote